Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

SCOTUS hearing

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

SCOTUS hearing Empty SCOTUS hearing

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:04 am

I consider myself very fortunate to have a job whereby I can listen on the radio to the all out mayhem that is the Kavanaugh nomination hearing today.  It's dry and definitely for political nerds, but the mayhem, protesting and civil disobedience is pretty compelling.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

SCOTUS hearing Empty Re: SCOTUS hearing

Post by alohafri Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:20 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I consider myself very fortunate to have a job whereby I can listen on the radio to the all out mayhem that is the Kavanaugh nomination hearing today.  It's dry and definitely for political nerds, but the mayhem, protesting and civil disobedience is pretty compelling.

Dick Durbin was wrong when he said "this is democracy in action". The Senators that are interviewing Kavanaugh are doing the jobs they were hired (elected) to do. Disrupting the process is stuff you would expect to see in some Banana Republic. The "democracy in action" is the legislative's check on the executive and judicial.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:27 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:I consider myself very fortunate to have a job whereby I can listen on the radio to the all out mayhem that is the Kavanaugh nomination hearing today.  It's dry and definitely for political nerds, but the mayhem, protesting and civil disobedience is pretty compelling.

Dick Durbin was wrong when he said "this is democracy in action". The Senators that are interviewing Kavanaugh are doing the jobs they were hired (elected) to do. Disrupting the process is stuff you would expect to see in some Banana Republic. The "democracy in action" is the legislative's check on the executive and judicial.

I'm torn.  The interruptions are ridiculous and silly and do absolutely zero good for any cause, as far as I'm concerned.  Nobody can hear what most of these folks are saying, and even if they do, aren't they assuming that these people are pretty nuts?  Listening on the radio, I found myself laughing at the removal of one protester that sounded like it included quite a bit of thrashing, kicking and overall craziness.  I'm only torn because I figure it's their right to protest and subject themselves to arrest.  It's hard to imagine what positive they think is coming from it all...
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:47 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I'm torn.  The interruptions are ridiculous and silly and do absolutely zero good for any cause, as far as I'm concerned.  Nobody can hear what most of these folks are saying, and even if they do, aren't they assuming that these people are pretty nuts?  Listening on the radio, I found myself laughing at the removal of one protester that sounded like it included quite a bit of thrashing, kicking and overall craziness.  I'm only torn because I figure it's their right to protest and subject themselves to arrest.  It's hard to imagine what positive they think is coming from it all...

Probably the same positive thing that goofy Alex Jones thinks he's doing by harassing Marco Rubio.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:25 pm

Kavanaugh just referred today to the Birth Control Pill as "abortion inducing medication."  Seriously.  Yikes.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:43 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Since the nutjob's confirmation is a guarantee, I'd like for him to be as uncomfortable as possible throughout the entire process.  Maybe it'll cause him to have a grabber.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:34 am

Starting to sound like some of the allegations against Kavanaugh's past have more legs than originally thought. Maybe the fake, little FBI inquiry should have been more than a couple of days of refusing to hear from witnesses and a bit more time diving into witness accounts.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:48 am

Beginning to sound increasingly like FBI or DOJ covered up corroborating stories of sex assault by Kavanaugh at the direction of the president.  Nothing to see here.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:12 am

alohafri wrote:

Since we've recently been told by Barr's DOJ, the legislature has no oversight authority and only the executive can determine if the executive should be checked, democracy is dead...perhaps even more so than it already was with GOP denying so many the right to vote, and, you know, the electoral college, which denies all voting Americans their presidential candidate of their choice.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:16 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Beginning to sound increasingly like FBI or DOJ covered up corroborating stories of sex assault by Kavanaugh at the direction of the president.  Nothing to see here.

Yeah, I think that's the story here.  When Kavanaugh's calendar substantiated Blasey Ford's account, that alone should have been enough to put the nomination on hold...and not for a day or two.  But we have a serial sexual assaulter in the White House, and a sexual harrasser on the Supreme Court already, so what's one more.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:34 pm

And this is where I point at a story like this and remind folks that felt that the hyperbolic concerns about Trump being a dictator or autocrat were silly, and that our constitution would hold, and I remind them that this is where your constitution and democracy begin breaking down.  No, Trump isn't yet a dictator or an autocrat (although he would probably like to be), but these are the things that turn a nation in that direction.  It was obvious that while Kavanaugh may not have raped or seriously assaulted anyone, he warranted closer scrutiny and some additional investigating just to make sure.  When I began hearing that some of the corroborators of the allegations were being turned away, I knew something sounded fishy.  Much of his college partying sounds pretty stupid and typical of the drunken frat guy world, and I hesitate to call this idiot a "rapist," but he is really beginning to appear beneath the dignity of a member of SCOTUS, moreso than he appeared during his yelling, crying hearing.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:40 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:And this is where I point at a story like this and remind folks that felt that the hyperbolic concerns about Trump being a dictator or autocrat were silly, and that our constitution would hold, and I remind them that this is where your constitution and democracy begin breaking down.  No, Trump isn't yet a dictator or an autocrat (although he would probably like to be), but these are the things that turn a nation in that direction.  It was obvious that while Kavanaugh may not have raped or seriously assaulted anyone, he warranted closer scrutiny and some additional investigating just to make sure.  When I began hearing that some of the corroborators of the allegations were being turned away, I knew something sounded fishy.  Much of his college partying sounds pretty stupid and typical of the drunken frat guy world, and I hesitate to call this idiot a "rapist," but he is really beginning to appear beneath the dignity of a member of SCOTUS, moreso than he appeared during his yelling, crying hearing.

Trump is tweeting about unfounded accusations.  You know what, Donnie...the FBI could investigate that for you!
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:10 pm

I've seen it so many times, and still, I always find myself shaking my head in disbelief.  The right wing comments on the comments section of articles about Kavanaugh...it's Spahn Ranch.   They suggest that this story about Kavanaugh is to distract from the "trials of Andrew McCabe, Jim Comey, and Brennan".  Wow.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:36 am

A majority of Republicans polled said if it were proven that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted someone, it would not disqualify him from being on the Supreme Court.

https://www.newsweek.com/sexual-assault-should-not-disqualify-kavanaugh-proven-majority-republicans-1141877?fbclid=IwAR3RDmcHCMatWxJbUpnhnow6mGFvyKXRot-mSFgIFwwgQ4g4gOx3pj4l85c
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Which is idiotic because they could easily push a more morally qualified guy or gal thru the confirmation process right now.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:15 pm

There has only been one Supreme Court justice impeached and it was because of what he did on the Bench, not with the "broads and beer" (to practice alliteration). Impeachment is a losing battle here folks. Move along.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:07 pm

alohafri wrote:There has only been one Supreme Court justice impeached and it was because of what he did on the Bench, not with the "broads and beer" (to practice alliteration). Impeachment is a losing battle here folks. Move along.

I would say it'd potentially become a worthwhile battle if the evidence became a bit more overwhelming, whereby he might resign rather than endure the national embarrassment of a lot of public accusations without a chance to publicly refute them.  I don't think we're there yet, or even close to there.  If we get to a point where there's strong evidence and a lot of witnesses that'll speak on behalf of the accusations, then I say put them on the stand and let them embarrass the holy hell out of him.

Also worth noting would be that if he were to be impeached, I don't think it'd be for things he did in college.  It'd be for perjuring himself to congress during the confirmation hearing.  I don't say that to dismiss what he did in college, but to suggest I think the public and congress is willing to be SOMEWHAT forgiving of stupid behavior in college.  I mean....seriously, who of us didn't put our dicks in drunk womens' faces or hands, or hold down a girl and try pulling her pants off (assuming he did these things)?
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:39 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:There has only been one Supreme Court justice impeached and it was because of what he did on the Bench, not with the "broads and beer" (to practice alliteration). Impeachment is a losing battle here folks. Move along.

I would say it'd potentially become a worthwhile battle if the evidence became a bit more overwhelming, whereby he might resign rather than endure the national embarrassment of a lot of public accusations without a chance to publicly refute them.  I don't think we're there yet, or even close to there.  If we get to a point where there's strong evidence and a lot of witnesses that'll speak on behalf of the accusations, then I say put them on the stand and let them embarrass the holy hell out of him.

Also worth noting would be that if he were to be impeached, I don't think it'd be for things he did in college.  It'd be for perjuring himself to congress during the confirmation hearing.  I don't say that to dismiss what he did in college, but to suggest I think the public and congress is willing to be SOMEWHAT forgiving of stupid behavior in college.  I mean....seriously, who of us didn't put our dicks in drunk womens' faces or hands, or hold down a girl and try pulling her pants off (assuming he did these things)?

Not I!!!!

For the most part, I agree with everything you've written here.  I think what you describe was rather commonplace in our day.  I think what really touched women when Christine Blasey Ford testified was her describing the fear when he put his hand over her mouth.  That's what kicked it up a notch in my book.  When you put your hand over someone's mouth and turn up the music so she couldn't be heard, that makes me think that this was/would have been something more than drunken grab ass if she hadn't been able to get away.  But she DID get away, so even if you take everything she said as 100% truthful, it ultimately was drunken grab ass.  If she had immediately called the police, I don't think he would have been arrested.  But based on everything we know, he lied under oath.  Any one of us who's ever been hammered knows that when he said he's never been so drunk that he's blacked out that he's full of shit.  I think he lied about a heck of a lot more than that, but he certainly lied about that.  You can't be on the highest court in the land after you've perjured yourself.  Now I get it.  That's a question that he knew he had to lie about because if he admitted the truth, Klobuchar would have followed up her question by asking how he could be so certain that he hadn't assaulted women if he'd blacked out.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:25 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Not I!!!!

For the most part, I agree with everything you've written here.  I think what you describe was rather commonplace in our day.  I think what really touched women when Christine Blasey Ford testified was her describing the fear when he put his hand over her mouth.  That's what kicked it up a notch in my book.  When you put your hand over someone's mouth and turn up the music so she couldn't be heard, that makes me think that this was/would have been something more than drunken grab ass if she hadn't been able to get away.  But she DID get away, so even if you take everything she said as 100% truthful, it ultimately was drunken grab ass.  If she had immediately called the police, I don't think he would have been arrested.  But based on everything we know, he lied under oath.  Any one of us who's ever been hammered knows that when he said he's never been so drunk that he's blacked out that he's full of shit.  I think he lied about a heck of a lot more than that, but he certainly lied about that.  You can't be on the highest court in the land after you've perjured yourself.  Now I get it.  That's a question that he knew he had to lie about because if he admitted the truth, Klobuchar would have followed up her question by asking how he could be so certain that he hadn't assaulted women if he'd blacked out.

Yep.  Kind of a Catch 22 for him.  I'm not overly offended by drunken grab ass in an era where that was generally accepted to some degree.  Kind of like how everyone appears to have posed in blackface for photos in their past.  Do you have a blackface photo, Pam?  Anyway, it's not the action that's so objectionable unless it was worse than described....it's the perjury, which half of the country thinks he probably committed.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:36 am

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Not I!!!!

No? Not even a strap on?  Twisted Evil
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:18 pm

Blondy and Rob you are under the impression that women get a fair shake in this world. What would ever make you think of that?  equal pay?  equal respect?  equal opportunity?   Come on, John Lennon told ya 50 yrs ago, and its not all together changed yet, …"Women are the niggers of the world"
    Kavanaugh  could have raped the freshman class at Yale in alphabetical order and he'd still be on the bench. 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:42 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Not I!!!!

Yep.  Kind of a Catch 22 for him.  I'm not overly offended by drunken grab ass in an era where that was generally accepted to some degree.  Kind of like how everyone appears to have posed in blackface for photos in their past.  Do you have a blackface photo, Pam?  Anyway, it's not the action that's so objectionable unless it was worse than described....it's the perjury, which half of the country thinks he probably committed.

Blackface, no.  Greenface, yes.  Hubby and I went as Green Giant and Little Sprout to a Halloween party when I was about 20.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:30 pm

sharpy wrote:Blondy and Rob you are under the impression that women get a fair shake in this world. What would ever make you think of that?  equal pay?  equal respect?  equal opportunity?   Come on, John Lennon told ya 50 yrs ago, and its not all together changed yet, …"Women are the niggers of the world"
    Kavanaugh  could have raped the freshman class at Yale in alphabetical order and he'd still be on the bench. 

I sure as hell didn't mean to imply that I think women get a fair shake.  Some here and there do, if they're both super hot and smart.  Otherwise, they get pushed around.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    sharpy wrote:Blondy and Rob you are under the impression that women get a fair shake in this world. What would ever make you think of that?  equal pay?  equal respect?  equal opportunity?   Come on, John Lennon told ya 50 yrs ago, and its not all together changed yet, …"Women are the niggers of the world"

I sure as hell didn't mean to imply that I think women get a fair shake.  Some here and there do, if they're both super hot and smart.  Otherwise, they get pushed around.

Are you referring to real life or the famous?  My mind went right to Barbara Walters and Oprah, neither of whom are particularly hot, but they've each reached the top in their field.  To your point, I guess, is that there were many many men who came before them, but can't think of another man in the field who even comes close to the success achieved by Oprah...a black woman no less.  Certain fields are dominated by women, but probably no coincidence that they are some of the most underpaid like teachers and nurses.  My profession is largely women, and I'm not sure exactly why, but an awful lot of men kiss my ass since the industries we do business with are primarily run by men.  The only exceptions in terms of the vendors currently doing business with my building are their attorney and their landscape rep.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:27 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Are you referring to real life or the famous?  My mind went right to Barbara Walters and Oprah, neither of whom are particularly hot, but they've each reached the top in their field.  To your point, I guess, is that there were many many men who came before them, but can't think of another man in the field who even comes close to the success achieved by Oprah...a black woman no less.  Certain fields are dominated by women, but probably no coincidence that they are some of the most underpaid like teachers and nurses.  My profession is largely women, and I'm not sure exactly why, but an awful lot of men kiss my ass since the industries we do business with are primarily run by men.  The only exceptions in terms of the vendors currently doing business with my building are their attorney and their landscape rep.

There are certainly exceptions.  Oprah being one of them, but I'll bet she had to deal with getting the black girl shaft a few times in her early years.  Even black folks occasionally luck out and get a fair shake.  Depends a lot on if they work for a liberal/enlightened corporation where they go out of their way to try being fair.  I worked for Allstate Corp in 98 to 2001 and that company went far and away out of the way in their efforts to be fair to black folks and women.  My wife says Verizon is the same.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:46 pm