Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

2 posters

SCOTUS

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

SCOTUS Empty SCOTUS

Post by blondy28 Tue May 10, 2022 7:39 pm

The Supreme Court is insane.  Totally insane.  We all knew the direction they were headed, but Alito's opinion is even more frightening than I would have ever imagined.  Roberts already wrote a dissent after the last shadow docket decision.  Previously he'd just sided with the liberal justices but didn't pen a dissent.  He knows that this lunacy will be his legacy.  I tend to agree with those who think the leak came from the right, who wanted to lock in this vote with this language.   Roberts seems like a pretty good guy, but he's got 5 lunatics that he can't control.  I can't imagine what comes next from these people.  They seem inclined to outdo themselves.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

SCOTUS Empty Re: SCOTUS

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed May 11, 2022 8:49 am

I know that the people that would be considered the far right are dead set on having marriage equality eradicated.  There are some who want to take out protections legal birth control.  I can see the latter happening, since the overturning of Roe is founded upon stating that we actually do NOT have a right to personal privacy, and that was the backbone of the decision that overturned laws that outlawed birth control devices.  

Will be interesting to watch states try navigating around this new decision (assuming it drops as advertised) because it might outlaw invitro fertilization in those states, too, along with outlawing IUD's as a form of birth control, and outlawing day-after pills.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:36 am

I guess it's official now that we no longer have the Right to Privacy that we thought we had.  I guess be careful what you wish for.  It's going to be interesting to see how this is dealt with by Dem governors in red states, who won't enforce the new trigger laws.  I'm not sure it'll matter anyway, since there won't be any docs really performing abortions in those states that need the protection of Dem governors.  

Also interesting to see Clarence Thomas noting that he suggests that we now seek to overturn marriage equality (is anyone being harmed by this?  Is there standing?) and the legal right to contraception.  My bigger question in those is to understand the grounds for such a challenge?  Who would claim to be harmed by the right to contraception?  Or be harmed by the right to marriage equality?  Beats me.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:46 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I guess it's official now that we no longer have the Right to Privacy that we thought we had.  I guess be careful what you wish for.  It's going to be interesting to see how this is dealt with by Dem governors in red states, who won't enforce the new trigger laws.  I'm not sure it'll matter anyway, since there won't be any docs really performing abortions in those states that need the protection of Dem governors.  

Also interesting to see Clarence Thomas noting that he suggests that we now seek to overturn marriage equality (is anyone being harmed by this?  Is there standing?) and the legal right to contraception.  My bigger question in those is to understand the grounds for such a challenge?  Who would claim to be harmed by the right to contraception?  Or be harmed by the right to marriage equality?  Beats me.

Clearly society is harmed.  The breakdown of the family, dontcha know.  We need more procreation...especially white procreation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content