Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

SCOTUS

jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

SCOTUS  Empty SCOTUS

Post by jaywit Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:28 am

I am very  sorry  to say, but things don't sound very good for Justice Ginsberg.  Metastatic pancreatic cancer, 2nd or 3rd line chemotherapy, infected biliary stent.  We are talking a few weeks to a few months.

Remember how justified the republican led senate felt by delaying the vote on Garland because Obama was soon to be leaving the office?  Watch the sprint race this process becomes now.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

SCOTUS  Empty Re: SCOTUS

Post by blondy28 Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:44 am

jaywit wrote:I am very  sorry  to say, but things don't sound very good for Justice Ginsberg.  Metastatic pancreatic cancer, 2nd or 3rd line chemotherapy, infected biliary stent.  We are talking a few weeks to a few months.

Remember how justified the republican led senate felt by delaying the vote on Garland because Obama was soon to be leaving the office?  Watch the sprint race this process becomes now.

Not only would the GOP appoint a new justice in an election year, but Jodi Ernst said that they would appoint a justice during the lame duck session AFTER the election even if Trump loses.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:30 pm

Voting and not voting has consequences 
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:10 pm

I do have to say, I've been somewhat pleasantly surprised that in some cases, Trump's appointees haven't ruled along party lines.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:53 pm

alohafri wrote:I do have to say, I've been somewhat pleasantly surprised that in some cases, Trump's appointees haven't ruled along party lines.
    I noticed that too.  It's a different scenario when your future is secure and you're no longer beholden to party lines.

When Trump is eventually defeated, I'm sure there are going to be hundreds of Republican politicians who will behave like the witches minions when the Wicked Witch of the West is melted.  "Hail to Dorothy, the wicked witch is dead!" 

BTW to our constitutional scholar, what does it take to impeach a supreme court justice?  I'm sure Trump is wondering especially when Gorsuch or Kavanaugh don't return his calls.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:16 pm

jaywit wrote:
    alohafri wrote:I do have to say, I've been somewhat pleasantly surprised that in some cases, Trump's appointees haven't ruled along party lines.
    I noticed that too.  It's a different scenario when your future is secure and you're no longer beholden to party lines.

When Trump is eventually defeated, I'm sure there are going to be hundreds of Republican politicians who will behave like the witches minions when the Wicked Witch of the West is melted.  "Hail to Dorothy, the wicked witch is dead!" 

BTW to our constitutional scholar, what does it take to impeach a supreme court justice?  I'm sure Trump is wondering especially when Gorsuch or Kavanaugh don't return his calls.

Just like with the President and Vice President, a federal judge, no matter the level, would be impeached by the House of Representatives and tried in the Senate with the VP handling the duties as judge.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:50 pm

Just like with the President and Vice President, a federal judge, no matter the level, would be impeached by the House of Representatives and tried in the Senate with the VP handling the duties as judge.

Expect this if Trump tries to ram in a lame duck justice 
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:06 pm

sharpy wrote:Just like with the President and Vice President, a federal judge, no matter the level, would be impeached by the House of Representatives and tried in the Senate with the VP handling the duties as judge.

He doesn't have the votes in the House to impeach Roberts. And I honestly think even the Senate would balk at this.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:31 pm

alohafri wrote:
    sharpy wrote:Just like with the President and Vice President, a federal judge, no matter the level, would be impeached by the House of Representatives and tried in the Senate with the VP handling the duties as judge.

He doesn't have the votes in the House to impeach Roberts. And I honestly think even the Senate would balk at this.

Impeach Roberts?  How or why would the House impeach Roberts?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:34 pm

I would expect that before they'd try impeaching a new SCOTUS justice they'd try adding additional justices if they had the numbers to do it.  I don't see them impeaching a duly nominated and confirmed justice no matter how much they dislike that person, unless they have evidence of wrongdoing.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:30 am

blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:I am very  sorry  to say, but things don't sound very good for Justice Ginsberg.  Metastatic pancreatic cancer, 2nd or 3rd line chemotherapy, infected biliary stent.  We are talking a few weeks to a few months.

Not only would the GOP appoint a new justice in an election year, but Jodi Ernst said that they would appoint a justice during the lame duck session AFTER the election even if Trump loses.
    As I think of it, Jodi Ernst may be quite surprised and disappointed with whom a lame-duck Trump nominates.  Personally, I don't believe Trump is any more a republican as you or Rob are.  Trump is for Trump.  I don't think he truly stands for anything other than Trump.  Being in the republican party was something he used to expand his ego.  He loses the election, the republican party becomes superfluous to him.  

Who would a lame-duck Trump nominate?  Someone totally whacko?  Would he bother?  Would it be up for highest bidder?  Nothing is beneath him.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:59 am

jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

As I think of it, Jodi Ernst may be quite surprised and disappointed with whom a lame-duck Trump nominates.  Personally, I don't believe Trump is any more a republican as you or Rob are.  Trump is for Trump.  I don't think he truly stands for anything other than Trump.  Being in the republican party was something he used to expand his ego.  He loses the election, the republican party becomes superfluous to him.  

Who would a lame-duck Trump nominate?  Someone totally whacko?  Would he bother?  Would it be up for highest bidder?  Nothing is beneath him.

Correct.  Nothing is beneath him, and if he's in lame duck territory, it won't surprise me at all if it's someone who says the president has a right to pardon himself.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:41 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Impeach Roberts?  How or why would the House impeach Roberts?
    They won't. But the low information voters that Trump loves so much are talking about it. How dare he rule against Trump's interests.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:42 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:

I would expect that before they'd try impeaching a new SCOTUS justice they'd try adding additional justices if they had the numbers to do it.  I don't see them impeaching a duly nominated and confirmed justice no matter how much they dislike that person, unless they have evidence of wrongdoing.

Good luck with that. Roosevelt tried it and it didn't work.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:43 pm

jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Somebody actually asked this morning on twitter, has Trump ever actually said he was a conservative?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:29 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Good luck with that. Roosevelt tried it and it didn't work.

Yeah, and I don't mean to imply that it would work here, either.  I just meant to say that making that effort seems more worthwhile and likely than an impeachment of a justice without some kind of compelling wrongdoing.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:44 pm

Yeah, and I don't mean to imply that it would work here, either.  I just meant to say that making that effort seems more worthwhile and likely than an impeachment of a justice without some kind of compelling wrongdoing.

So Trump loses. McConnell loses to McGr.ath and the Democrats win the House and the Senate, plus biden.  Ginsberg dies November 11 - McConnell and trump nominate Judge Kennesaw Mountain Landis, a far right wing known racist who used to be the Grand Dragon of the KKK.  He passes the senate and comes a Justice of the US. None of you think that the democratic run house, senate and presidency wouldn't try to after that guy?  They would sit back, shrug and say Oh Well - we're screwed for the nex 30 yrs and so are our constituents?  Thems the breaks?   You all believ that is what the Dems would do?   

Well, come to think of it, since they are such wimps, thats exactly what they would do 
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:40 pm

sharpy wrote:Yeah, and I don't mean to imply that it would work here, either.  I just meant to say that making that effort seems more worthwhile and likely than an impeachment of a justice without some kind of compelling wrongdoing.

So Trump loses. McConnell loses to McGr.ath and the Democrats win the House and the Senate, plus biden.  Ginsberg dies November 11 - McConnell and trump nominate Judge Kennesaw Mountain Landis, a far right wing known racist who used to be the Grand Dragon of the KKK.  He passes the senate and comes a Justice of the US. None of you think that the democratic run house, senate and presidency wouldn't try to after that guy?  They would sit back, shrug and say Oh Well - we're screwed for the nex 30 yrs and so are our constituents?  Thems the breaks?   You all believ that is what the Dems would do?   

Well, come to think of it, since they are such wimps, thats exactly what they would do 

What could they impeach him for? I think for an impeachment to occur, you need to do something that violates your oath of office...after you take that oath. If Justice Kennesaw Mountain Landis is an exemplary justice, despite mostly ruling in favor of conservative issues, could he be impeached? I'm not a Constitutional scholar, but I don't think you can be impeached for being an ex grand dragon of the Klan.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:08 am

alohafri wrote:
    sharpy wrote:Yeah, and I don't mean to imply that it would work here, either.  I just meant to say that making that effort seems more worthwhile and likely than an impeachment of a justice without some kind of compelling wrongdoing.

What could they impeach him for? I think for an impeachment to occur, you need to do something that violates your oath of office...after you take that oath. If Justice Kennesaw Mountain Landis is an exemplary justice, despite mostly ruling in favor of conservative issues, could he be impeached? I'm not a Constitutional scholar, but I don't think you can be impeached for being an ex grand dragon of the Klan.

My thoughts exactly.  Impeach him for what?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content