Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

3 posters

College baseball

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

College baseball Empty College baseball

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Thought I'd tackle this category and put the first ever post in it.

Just rec'd the video of my 16 yr old pitching in a college showcase for a number of college scouts and even a couple of pro scouts looking for a diamond in the rough.  I'm putting the video link of him here.  I think it's about 20 pitches from over his right shoulder.  They give us this video to put onto his scouting profile for college coaches.  

Some of you will enjoy it.  It's short.  Basically just a 22 pitch bullpen session with a bunch of scouts taking notes and holding a radar in their hands. This is an event for kids 16-20.  There are college freshmen and sophs here, who are hoping to transfer to a 4-yr college.  We don't do too many of these cuz they are expensive, but he was invited to participate for free by a local college coach, and the video was given to him for free, so we did it.   

First two pitches are fastballs and both are low and pretty bad. 
     Basically, trying to get used to throwing on that fake mound.  

Next 5 pitches are curves and are pretty good.  Throws the curve 68-72 mph, depending on the arm angle.  You'll see him showing the various arm angles to get a different break on the ball.  He throws his curve with tremendous control and confidence and if he gets a scholarship for baseball it'll be due to the effectiveness of this pitch.

Next 4 pitches are splitter/changeups.  Gets a lot of K's with this pitch.  Moves around a lot and isn't predictable.  

Next 4 pitches are 2 seam fastballs and he was really ON with these four pitches.  Probably 79-82 mph in this video.  

Next 4 are knuckleball changeups.  He's experimenting with this pitch and they were decent in this video.  It moves a lot so he can get away with hanging them up a little high.  

Final 4 are sliders.  Just began throwing it two months ago, so he's still learning.  Might even look more like a cutter, but some of them really move well.  You'll see in the video, he's consistently throwing it to the outer corner of the plate.  A good spot for it.  These are probably 75 mph right now.  You'll see he's still not always following all the way through on this.  I think this will be a good pitch for him in the future.

He's still just 6 ft tall and 165 lbs.  Probably will hit 6'2" or 6'3" this school year.  Hoping he can get to 185 by the time he graduates high school in a couple of years.  I've taught him everything he knows.  Hope you all like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBGaT3Bg_0
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

College baseball Empty Re: College baseball

Post by sharpy Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:41 pm

god, I miss those days ...he needs to fill out and grow some locks, and a tattoo or 2 ...needs a presence on that mound.  
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:34 pm

sharpy wrote:god, I miss those days ...he needs to fill out and grow some locks, and a tattoo or 2 ...needs a presence on that mound.  

Filling out would be nice.  Trying to get him to eat more.  He has locks.  They are under his hat.  I make him hide it.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:40 am

Very nice, Rob.  You must be proud as hell.

Are you the old fart going in and out of the picture?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 am

jaywit wrote:Very nice, Rob.  You must be proud as hell.

No, that guy is an official who is helping to run the event.  He's telling Zak which pitches to throw and then he's yelling it out to all of the scouts.  if you listen, he yells "change up" or "2-seamer", and a couple of other pitches.  

I'm sitting at the top of the bleachers near the middle of the screen next to a dude who's wearing a hat.  My coat is off and it's sitting next to me on the top bleacher.  

Proud?  I guess.  It's frustrating and crazy being dad of a sports kid.  Tim will attest to it.  It makes you crazy cuz you know he could be so much better if he actually gave a shit and worked harder and focused better.  But yes, I have my moments where I'm proud.  Mostly, I'm proud when he's pitching against a good team or in a title game and he goes out there and owns it.  Kid's a bit of a gamer.  If he's pitching a conference game against some bottom feeder, he'll probably go out there and be mediocre and barely get the win.  When he's facing a top team, his curve is tight and his control is just better.  Seems to focus against better competition.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:56 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:Very nice, Rob.  You must be proud as hell.

No, that guy is an official who is helping to run the event.  He's telling Zak which pitches to throw and then he's yelling it out to all of the scouts.  if you listen, he yells "change up" or "2-seamer", and a couple of other pitches.  

I'm sitting at the top of the bleachers near the middle of the screen next to a dude who's wearing a hat.  My coat is off and it's sitting next to me on the top bleacher.  

Proud?  I guess.  It's frustrating and crazy being dad of a sports kid.  Tim will attest to it.  It makes you crazy cuz you know he could be so much better if he actually gave a shit and worked harder and focused better.  But yes, I have my moments where I'm proud.  Mostly, I'm proud when he's pitching against a good team or in a title game and he goes out there and owns it.  Kid's a bit of a gamer.  If he's pitching a conference game against some bottom feeder, he'll probably go out there and be mediocre and barely get the win.  When he's facing a top team, his curve is tight and his control is just better.  Seems to focus against better competition.
    I guess that applies to anything in which there is competition.  I frequently get the urge to push Hannah (my daughter) to be at the top of her class in whatever project is assigned.  I'm able to stop and say to myself "hey, mfer, it's only 2nd grade.  You didn't give a shit until 2nd year college."
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 pm

jaywit wrote:

I guess that applies to anything in which there is competition.  I frequently get the urge to push Hannah (my daughter) to be at the top of her class in whatever project is assigned.  I'm able to stop and say to myself "hey, mfer, it's only 2nd grade.  You didn't give a shit until 2nd year college."

LOL.  2nd grade!  Get yer head outta your ass and pick up the pace, little missy.  This is the second fricking grade!
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:49 pm

It's frustrating and crazy being dad of a sports kid.  Tim will attest to it.

the worst part for me was just the nervousness and hope he did well, which you never really think is good enough b/c you don't thinks logically. Geez, my kid hit .425 and was an all-state catcher in his senior year of HS and .320 his senior year of college, and yet I think back about how watching him and the desire to want him to do well every single play and every at bat was weird, and then you look back and go, geez - what was I thinking, he had a year any baseball player would have been proud to have given how hard the game is …. guess its just human nature to want you kid to hit 1.000, and I am sure Rob wants the no-hitter every time out and sometimes loses the forest for the trees ...and I think Rob knows, as I do, how hard it is to be really successful playing bball. 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:11 pm

sharpy wrote:It's frustrating and crazy being dad of a sports kid.  Tim will attest to it.

the worst part for me was just the nervousness and hope he did well, which you never really think is good enough b/c you don't thinks logically. Geez, my kid hit .425 and was an all-state catcher in his senior year of HS and .320 his senior year of college, and yet I think back about how watching him and the desire to want him to do well every single play and every at bat was weird, and then you look back and go, geez - what was I thinking, he had a year any baseball player would have been proud to have given how hard the game is …. guess its just human nature to want you kid to hit 1.000, and I am sure Rob wants the no-hitter every time out and sometimes loses the forest for the trees ...and I think Rob knows, as I do, how hard it is to be really successful playing bball. 

You spelled it out perfectly.  Every time he throws a pitch that's not a strike, I feel a pain inside of me.  Being a pitcher dad is tough.  Walk a leadoff hitter?  Excuse me while go and slit my wrists and ask the heavens how my kid could lose a fucking 0-2 count and walk a leadoff hitter.  Any other kid does it, I just figure he'll get out of the jam.  It's fine.  My kid plunks a hitter on 0-2 or 1-2, I want to go out there and strangle him.  After the game he thinks it's funny that he hit the kid and got to watch him writhe in pain.  There are no words for the stress.  In a way, I'm jealous of the parents that aren't very dialed in and who don't understand the game or give much of a shit.  I would give anything for that kind of peace.  

The game is hard.  Really hard.  I know I've mentioned I even play on a 40 and over team for old guys like us.  It's difficult.  I'll see a guy warming up, throwing 60 mph fastballs during his warm-ups and figure I'm going to crush him.  He lays one down the middle and I jam myself and hit a one hopper back to the pitcher.  People have no idea how damn difficult it is to barrel a pitch and rip it deep.  When my son hits .380 or .400  playing elite travel, I can't understand how it wasn't .500 or .600, but then you ground that meatball back to the pitcher and reminded how damn hard it is.  I go out in the yard and pitch to my kid a couple of times a week.  I can spot pitches.  Nasty curve.  Nasty slider.  Knuckler.  Put me on the mound in actual competition?  Good fucking luck throwing a strike.  Totally different thing.  When you see a guy struggling on the mound, you just can't even comprehend it until you've done it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:20 pm