Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

High school baseball season

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

High school baseball season Empty High school baseball season

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Most of you know my oldest does a lot of pitching in travel and for his high school.  He is a sophomore and just found out that they're going to pitch him at varsity for his sophomore year.  He's the only soph that got pulled up to varsity, so I'm both excited for him, and also nervous for the likely adversity he'll face.  He's currently 5'11-6'ish tall.  Probably has 3 more inches to grow.  I got my final growth spurt in the summer after my sophomore school year, where I went from 6' to 6'3".  Hopefully he grows that last bit to gain some leverage and maybe a bit more velocity.  Currently, he rides in a comfort zone of about 78-79 mph, but when the coach puts the radar on him and says to throw it his hardest, he's consistently 80-81.  Curve is 70-72 and throws it for strikes on any count.  Throws a splitter for his change up and has command and control of it.  Throws all pitches from all arm angles, including sidearm.   He has developed another pitch he calls his knuckle-change.  Throws it like a palm ball but with the two fastball fingers tucked behind the ball.  He throws it hard but it has no real spin rotation, so it sinks like a sumbitch and is hard to catch even when it's a strike.  We're hoping that pitch will be a good "one pitch/one out" pitch for his repertoire.  If guys can't hit it at all, then it'll become his strikeout pitch.  We'll see if he can throw it for strikes.  The best thing about that pitch is that doesn't need to be thrown to a certain spot.  It moves enough that he can hang it and put it anywhere that will get swings and it should be hard to hit.  I figure if it's hard to catch, it's equally hard to hit.  Obviously will want to use it sparingly if men are on base, since it's hard to catch.  

I'm only sharing this because we're pretty excited, but I'm not sure who to really tell about it, so figured I'd tell some of the biggest baseball fans I know.  Perhaps I'll include a few updates during the season.  We're pretty excited about putting the new pitch to use in games.  We've been working on it since last fall.  His coach seems to be a big fan of it.  He's used to being a power pitcher that can blow guys away, but being a sophomore at varsity level, I figured he'd need a pitch that he can throw to contact and get some soft swings if he's going to succeed this season, since varsity kids can hit 80 mph all day and twice on Sunday.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

High school baseball season Empty Re: High school baseball season

Post by sharpy Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Good luck to him ..hope he does well ..and hope you guys have at least decent weather to play ball in. Some of those snow, or low 40's games were brutal ...
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:43 pm

sharpy wrote:Good luck to him ..hope he does well ..and hope you guys have at least decent weather to play ball in. Some of those snow, or low 40's games were brutal ...

Yeah, that shit sucks.  I spend those games sitting in my car and watching from far away, and only come and weather the cold if he's pitching and I want an up close view.  On a related note, they started up a program out here for high school boys to umpire 10u and 12u league ball games on their days off from playing their games.  Pay is like $30-35 for a single game.  Seems like a cool thing for them and I've told him he could get a higher cert in a few years and maybe do a lot of this during summers if he ends up not playing ball in college.  Probably a nice way to earn some spare $$ in summer.
    Nomads44
    Nomads44
    Not a Fanboy

Post by Nomads44 Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Nice report, good luck to Zak.  Have you passed this on to coach Jim?  He has quite an interest in Zak's career.  I will with permission if you have not put it on FB yet.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:58 am

Yes, Jim. Steinie and I converse somewhat frequently on the Facebook messaging app. He and I discussed this earlier this week.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:03 am

If Kark finds out about the knuckle-curve, the comparisons with Jim Parque will soon follow. Good luck this season (to Dad too!).
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:19 pm

alohafri wrote:If Kark finds out about the knuckle-curve, the comparisons with Jim Parque will soon follow. Good luck this season (to Dad too!).

It's a knuckle change, not a knuckle curve.  He throws a standard curve and it's a good one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:57 pm