Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

When I'm elected President

alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

When I'm elected President Empty When I'm elected President

Post by alohafri Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:13 pm

Anyone who pretends that the crazed act of a lunatic is somehow a reflection of an entire group, be it racial, sexual, religious, political, or what have you, will be sentence to a lifetime of being fucked up the ass by a pig. I'd sentence them to death, but I'm pro-life.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

When I'm elected President Empty Re: When I'm elected President

Post by alohafri Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Speaking of which, I am on record here on my negative feelings about voting by mail, early voting (other than absentee). I believe voting should be done on Election Day and that Election Day should be a national holiday. However, I am seriously considering voting by mail this year after someone went off on voting by mail (based on a mail we received from Jesse White today saying we can still request a ballot). I guess the fact on a regular basis we send payments through the mail, forms with social security through the mail, we receive checks through the mail, hell, we even receive prescriptions through the mail, doesn't matter in the world of conservative media. We can trust the post office with that, but we can't trust the post office with a ballot? How does the military vote? I don't recall seeing any stories of thousands of flights home from overseas bringing soldiers home to vote in early November.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Voting by mail means more people participate.  And when more people participate, we kind of all know what happens then.

It's not coincidence that all efforts to make voting harder have been pushed by the side that is harmed by huge turnout.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:45 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Voting by mail means more people participate.  And when more people participate, we kind of all know what happens then.

It's not coincidence that all efforts to make voting harder have been pushed by the side that is harmed by huge turnout.

No coincidence that a state so strongly red that they can't lose...Utah...is the only state that has state-wide mail-in for all elections.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:41 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Voting by mail means more people participate.  And when more people participate, we kind of all know what happens then.

No coincidence that a state so strongly red that they can't lose...Utah...is the only state that has state-wide mail-in for all elections.
    We have state wide mail in for all elections in Washington.  Have had that for over 20 years.  I haven't been to a "poll" since I moved here.  It's so easy and smooth, voting in person seems very backward/archaic to me.  Why it's not been accepted much more sooner is really difficult to say.  I would bet the networks don't like it since the finality of election night would go away and the winners of the tightly contested states would likely be announced over a several day period following the voting deadline.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:02 pm

jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

We have state wide mail in for all elections in Washington.  Have had that for over 20 years.  I haven't been to a "poll" since I moved here.  It's so easy and smooth, voting in person seems very backward/archaic to me.  Why it's not been accepted much more sooner is really difficult to say.  I would bet the networks don't like it since the finality of election night would go away and the winners of the tightly contested states would likely be announced over a several day period following the voting deadline.

Jay, they don't really have to announce it over a several day period.  Florida and a few others (Colorado) count them as they come in and keep the results under lock and key and drop those results into the count on election night at 7 pm.  We could easily come up with a policy where ballots go out 3 weeks before election day and can be mailed back through election day and counted as they come in so that on election night it might be 90% counted and 10% still to be counted, and then they could make early calls on some and would need to hold out on the others.  

By the way, i believe 4 states have statewide mail-in elections.  WA, UT, CO and OR.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:16 pm

In Washington, our ballots need to be post-marked by election day.  I can put mine in the mailbox the same day as the election and the vote will still count even if it takes 3-4 days to get to it's destination.  A few elections ago, there was a tight race for the gubernatorial candidates and the winner wasn't declared until about a week after the election day.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:07 pm

jaywit wrote:In Washington, our ballots need to be post-marked by election day.  I can put mine in the mailbox the same day as the election and the vote will still count even if it takes 3-4 days to get to it's destination.  A few elections ago, there was a tight race for the gubernatorial candidates and the winner wasn't declared until about a week after the election day.

yeah, I recall that in 2018 midterms, they were counting votes in California until about two weeks after the election and some results took all of those two weeks to be announced.  

My main point was only that some/many states count no mail ballots until after the election.  Others count them while getting them, so that on election night you have a pretty good idea about how it's going to end up because maybe they have 90% counted with some votes still trickling in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content