Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

+4
jaywit
sharpy
alohafri
SoxIlliniRob
8 posters

President GHB

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

President GHB Empty President GHB

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:06 am

Pretty good guy.  I didn't vote for him, but I always respected him.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

President GHB Empty Re: President GHB

Post by alohafri Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:20 pm

The letter he left for Bill Clinton is worth a read if you haven't seen it. Classy man.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 pm

I voted for him … I wanted him to win the GOP nomination in 1980 but he lost it to the great destroyer. I was pissed when he took the VP job, given his detest for Reaganomics - which he called voodoo economics ...but did vote for him in 1988 and in 1992 when he lost to Clinton.  Also, to keep the baseball theme going, he was the starting 1bman for the yale baseball team. 
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:51 pm

The book Flyboys by James Bradley provides and excellent account of his heroics as a 20 year old pilot in WWII.  I developed significant respect for the man after reading that book.

I remember being shocked when he joined Reagan to run as his VP.  In the primaries he seemed to despise anything Reagan had to say or do.

I voted for Dukakis in '88 and Clinton in '92.  In my mind, Bush saddled himself with, up to that time, the dumbest political action figure in my lifetime, Dan Quayle.  
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:46 am

I was a very liberal college kid when GHB first ran. I liked him and planned to vote for him. I didn't dislike Dukakis. I just liked Bush better. After that, two things happened...1. The racist Willie Horton ad, and 2. Bush started calling himself the "Family Values" candidate, which bugged me and struck me as extremely patronizing and silly. To a typical, liberal, education major, that was all I could handle. Changed course and voted Dem for my first time, leaving Reagan as my only R vote for president in my lifetime.

Last edited by SoxIlliniRob on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    telefrank
    telefrank
    Not a Fanboy

Post by telefrank Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Are we forgetting that it was Bush Sr. that got our troops in the middle east, where they've been a permanent fixture thanks in part to Jr. attempting to act tough like daddy ? 
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:25 am

jaywit wrote:

I voted for Dukakis in '88 and Clinton in '92.  In my mind, Bush saddled himself with, up to that time, the dumbest political action figure in my lifetime, Dan Quayle.  

Sarah Palin makes Dan Quayle look like a Mensa candidate.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:54 am

alohafri wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

That's very true.  I sometimes hear Palin speaking on some topic and it sounds so ridiculous that you almost have to wonder if she's just messing or trolling us.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

That's very true.  I sometimes hear Palin speaking on some topic and it sounds so ridiculous that you almost have to wonder if she's just messing or trolling us.
    Agreed.  That's why I added the "up to that time" phrase.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:23 pm

I never voted until 1992, when I specifically voted so I could vote against Bush.  Sometimes I defer to people who I really like and their opinions because they know better than I do.  I like the Clintons, and I really like the Obamas, so I feel like they know some of these folks on a different level outside their public persona, so I figure he must have been an OK guy because the Clintons and Obamas really liked him.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it's the best I can do.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:43 pm

I'm with Blondy. Was never a big fan of Bush Sr. but I'd take 5 of him over the madman who currently plops his fat ass down in the oval office. May he rest in peace and my heartfelt thanks for his service to his country during the WWII.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 am

cream919 wrote:I'm with Blondy. Was never a big fan of Bush Sr. but I'd take 5 of him over the madman who currently plops his fat ass down in the oval office. May he rest in peace and my heartfelt thanks for his service to his country during the WWII.
    Two things I remember about GW.
    At time of election, I had mentioned to a friend of mine that he seemed like a really nice guy. My friend just said "He was the head of the CIA" That stopped me-as nice guys don't head the CIA!
    Secondly, how he has grown in stature since leaving office. Could say a lot about him but never question his patriotism and sense of duty. Combat pilot at NINETEEN is pretty damned impressive.
    His story is quite compelling-and it turns out he was a pretty nice person.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:53 pm

blondy28 wrote:I never voted until 1992, when I specifically voted so I could vote against Bush.  Sometimes I defer to people who I really like and their opinions because they know better than I do.  I like the Clintons, and I really like the Obamas, so I feel like they know some of these folks on a different level outside their public persona, so I figure he must have been an OK guy because the Clintons and Obamas really liked him.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it's the best I can do.

Not only did the Obamas like him, but 3 days before he died, GHB requested to see Barack Obama.  Obama dropped and flew immediately to see him and Bush family members say that when they met, GHB grabbed him and embraced him for a couple minutes straight.  And that tells me just about all I need to know about B.O., not that I didn't already think he was that kind of guy.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Could say a lot about him but never question his patriotism and sense of duty. Combat pilot at NINETEEN is pretty damned impressive.

And he was one of many - my uncle (father's twin brother) was a Corsair pilot in the pacific - both enlisted at 17 ….

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:08 am