Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

Queen vs. The Rolling Stones

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Queen vs. The Rolling Stones Empty Queen vs. The Rolling Stones

Post by blondy28 Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:07 am

Saw Queen with Adam Lambert tonight, and I'm just going to come right out and say it.  They were better than the Stones.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Queen vs. The Rolling Stones Empty Re: Queen vs. The Rolling Stones

Post by jaywit Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:33 pm

blondy28 wrote:Saw Queen* with Adam Lambert tonight, and I'm just going to come right out and say it.  They were better than the Stones.
    Asterisk aside, with the above sentence I now nominate Blondy as our Fanboy Party candidate for the POTUS!

Queen*:  Queen without Freddie...and John Deacon, a great songwriter in his own right.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:50 pm

jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:Saw Queen* with Adam Lambert tonight, and I'm just going to come right out and say it.  They were better than the Stones.
    Asterisk aside, with the above sentence I now nominate Blondy as our Fanboy Party candidate for the POTUS!

Queen*:  Queen without Freddie...and John Deacon, a great songwriter in his own right.

There's never going to be another Freddie.  And they actually refer to the tour as "Queen with Adam Lambert", so they don't include Adam as a member of Queen, unlike other bands who replace their lead singer...AC/DC (not AC/DC with Brian Johnson or AC/DC with Axl Rose), Van Halen (not Van Halen with Sammy Hagar), etc.  Brian May did a duet with Freddie on Hologram, which was pretty cool.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:30 pm

cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:37 pm

I think what Blondy is saying is that as a "live" act, she liked Queen better then the Stones. Fair enough. Years ago I saw the Guess Who playing basically a large bar and they were very good. However, the catch was all you had were the original bass player and drummer. Without Burton Cummings vocals or Randy Bachman's guitar what they amounted to was basically a very good cover band. Queen, as they currently are, are no doubt very good. But without THE key element to the band, frontman Freddie Mercury, all it boils down to is being another excellent cover band. There are some superb Elvis impersonators out there...but they're not Elvis. As for the Stones, as long as Jagger/Richards prance across the stage...they're still the Stones...like them or not. lol
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:09 pm

cream919 wrote:I think what Blondy is saying is that as a "live" act, she liked Queen better then the Stones. Fair enough. Years ago I saw the Guess Who playing basically a large bar and they were very good. However, the catch was all you had were the original bass player and drummer. Without Burton Cummings vocals or Randy Bachman's guitar what they amounted to was basically a very good cover band. Queen, as they currently are, are no doubt very good. But without THE key element to the band, frontman Freddie Mercury, all it boils down to is being another excellent cover band. There are some superb Elvis impersonators out there...but they're not Elvis. As for the Stones, as long as Jagger/Richards prance across the stage...they're still the Stones...like them or not. lol

Agree - more accurate description is Adam Lambert singing Queen songs … just taint the same. But I am glad that she enjoyed the show b/c I know the ticket prices were not cheap in Columbus, so I expect they were even higher in Chicago 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:53 pm

sharpy wrote:
    cream919 wrote:I think what Blondy is saying is that as a "live" act, she liked Queen better then the Stones. Fair enough. Years ago I saw the Guess Who playing basically a large bar and they were very good. However, the catch was all you had were the original bass player and drummer. Without Burton Cummings vocals or Randy Bachman's guitar what they amounted to was basically a very good cover band. Queen, as they currently are, are no doubt very good. But without THE key element to the band, frontman Freddie Mercury, all it boils down to is being another excellent cover band. There are some superb Elvis impersonators out there...but they're not Elvis. As for the Stones, as long as Jagger/Richards prance across the stage...they're still the Stones...like them or not. lol

Agree - more accurate description is Adam Lambert singing Queen songs … just taint the same. But I am glad that she enjoyed the show b/c I know the ticket prices were not cheap in Columbus, so I expect they were even higher in Chicago 

The ticket prices weren't too bad.  In our section, $150 each.  The prices were insane on the resale market  Had I known that the 2 individual seats I was selling could be sold for $400-$600, I'd have made a profit on the deal.

My daughter will be heading to France for almost a year...leaving on August 30.  I won't be able to go visit her, so I'm glad we were able to do this together.   It was a really fun concert.  Brian May sounded quite good, and his "duet" with Freddie Mercury was one of the highlights of the night.  With everyone's phones out, it looked like we were listening to the music under the stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9xqG82z3gc
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:49 am

Where in France will your daughter be living?
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:59 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Where in France will your daughter be living?

Angers.  North Central offers two programs in France...one with English speaking courses, and the other (Angers) is completely in French.  She'll be flying into Paris then will take a two hour train to Angers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:06 am