Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

Don't "both sides"

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Don't "both sides" - Page 2 Empty Re: Don't "both sides"

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:08 pm

sharpy wrote:Considering the horrible state of political polarization and the general threat of malice and violence that seems to exist at the moment, I think it's probably time we all dial down some of name-calling of political actors and the poisonous hyperbole.  That includes me.  I need to be a better person.

Going hog wild and derelict when you're taking sides in the battle of Gerald Ford vs Jimmy Carter is inappropriate and detrimental to America.  Taking sides and not being a nice person in 1933 Germany when you are trying to squelch the budding 3rd Reich and complete fascism, is another thing all together. By you "becoming a nicer person" you are enabling the Donald Trumps and Tucker Carlsons of the world to proliferate and win.  Unless you are as naive as the DNC who for decades now have "gone high" thinking the GOP will go high as well.  With your philosophy, all is lost.

Nah.  Don't worry, Tim.  We're on exactly the same page in this realm.  I don't think folks have any sense of what is brewing and on the horizon right now.  It's ugly.  I'm just trying to be a more positive person and steer conversations into better places and then hope it can have even a small effect.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:12 pm

sharpy wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:Missouri now making it a felony to have an abortion on an ectopic pregnancy.  For those not in the know, that's the #1 cause of maternal death in the first trimester.  So they're giving women the choice of death or prison.  But sure, Aloha...both sides.

https://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills221/hlrbillspdf/5798H.01I.pdf

Since an ectopic pregnancy is a surgical emergency involving a non-viable fetus which if not removed leads to death of the mother (there is no living fetus in an ectopic pregnancy so technically not an abortion), there will be a lot of women and ethical physicians, going to jail.  But for years I've argued that the reason the GOP is against any kind of medicaid or national health insurance is precisely for this reason - they want people who are uninsured or poor to be refused health care in emergencies. Rand Paul's father said as much in a presidential debate when he ran - when he was asked what should happen to un-insured people coming to the ED and he mumbled around and inferred - let 'em die.  So the GOP is right on track. 

I've always made a similar point.  When I hear that single payer will add more bodies into the system and increase waiting times for service, I view that as saying "I want what I want and I want it now, and I don't want to wait for other people who might slow down my access."  

Until about 10 yrs ago, 15% of the public had little access to care except in ER dire situations.  Apparently those against creating additional wait times want for that to remain a thing.  I consider the additional wait times to be another name for "Sharing" and last I checked, I was taught to share when I was about 3.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:36 pm

Here's my issue with OAC and every politician who follows her lead and philosophy. There is a civil war in this country, fighting for democracy as we know it vs. at the start, a minor form of fascism which over time will worsen, or in the best case scenario, an party autocracy where old white republicans will win every election. When you're in a war, you have to be united to defeat the enemy - and the GOP is VERY united. Tho republicans who call themselves moderate, or anti trump, talk about taking back their party, I don't believe they are telling the truth - I think that the Romney's and Cheney's and David brooks and George Wills of the world say they hate the radical right - but will be quite happy and content should their plan for take over succeed.  So all of the GOP is united in this attempt =  The DEMS?  They can't even agree on lunch. They have had control of the House and senate x 2 yrs, but they bicker so much between themselves, and disagree so much, they can't even come up with a game plan to save the country. They come off as buffoons, and the ones who irritate the middle of the road voters, have the loudest mouths.  Where was Pelosi, on Day one after November 2020 elections calling everyone together and agreeing to get together, pass important shit first, solidify everyone's love and THEN get more progressive.  Anybody in that party even THINK of trying to become united?  Sure doesn't seem like it.  And for that, I blame the OACs of the world.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:33 am