Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

Ridiculous Question

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Ridiculous Question Empty Ridiculous Question

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 pm

It's a silly question, but worth discussion.  Is Ocasio Cortez already the most famous House member ever?  I know, it's silly, but holy geez this chick is going to have more Twitter followers than Trump pretty soon at her current rate.  They made a big deal about her having 2 million followers about 10 days ago.  I looked today and she has 2.4 million.  Has a younger, less experienced, less powerful person every wielded so much power and upset so many people?  Fox is now covering her 24/7.  Granted, she's a bit whacky and sometimes VERY naive, and she sometimes says some of the dumbest shit since Trump last spoke, but she's sure ballsy and is what appears to be a kind-hearted person.  She's also a millennial that sure as hell knows how to work the Twitterverse.  Hope she's not just a flash in the pan.  It's a blast watching her cause angry white conservatives to piss their pants every day.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Ridiculous Question Empty Re: Ridiculous Question

Post by alohafri Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:34 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:It's a silly question, but worth discussion.  Is Ocasio Cortez already the most famous House member ever?  I know, it's silly, but holy geez this chick is going to have more Twitter followers than Trump pretty soon at her current rate.  They made a big deal about her having 2 million followers about 10 days ago.  I looked today and she has 2.4 million.  Has a younger, less experienced, less powerful person every wielded so much power and upset so many people?  Fox is now covering her 24/7.  Granted, she's a bit whacky and sometimes VERY naive, and she sometimes says some of the dumbest shit since Trump last spoke, but she's sure ballsy and is what appears to be a kind-hearted person.  She's also a millennial that sure as hell knows how to work the Twitterverse.  Hope she's not just a flash in the pan.  It's a blast watching her cause angry white conservatives to piss their pants every day.

She, like Trump, is a media creation. Does it matter how many Twitter followers someone has? Whoopie Goldberg of all people said that she needs to shut her mouth and learn her job. 

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt” - Mark Twain
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:51 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:It's a silly question, but worth discussion.  Is Ocasio Cortez already the most famous House member ever?  I know, it's silly, but holy geez this chick is going to have more Twitter followers than Trump pretty soon at her current rate.  They made a big deal about her having 2 million followers about 10 days ago.  I looked today and she has 2.4 million.  Has a younger, less experienced, less powerful person every wielded so much power and upset so many people?  Fox is now covering her 24/7.  Granted, she's a bit whacky and sometimes VERY naive, and she sometimes says some of the dumbest shit since Trump last spoke, but she's sure ballsy and is what appears to be a kind-hearted person.  She's also a millennial that sure as hell knows how to work the Twitterverse.  Hope she's not just a flash in the pan.  It's a blast watching her cause angry white conservatives to piss their pants every day.

She, like Trump, is a media creation. Does it matter how many Twitter followers someone has? Whoopie Goldberg of all people said that she needs to shut her mouth and learn her job. 

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt” - Mark Twain

She very much is a media creation, but she's also creating much of her own publicity by going out and marketing herself and being creative about it.  That's not the media.  That's on her.  She spent yesterday with other freshman senators publicizing via Twitter her chasing McConnell around the capitol to ask him why he's hiding during a shutdown and got the #where'smitch thing going and I won't be surprised if that gets some traction.  She's a tricky little shit and she no longer needs much media help now that she's got 2.5 million people following her on Twitter.  Whoopie ought to listen to what kind of stuff is coming out of AOC's mouth, because it's exactly the things Whoopi has been saying (whilst nobody is listening) for years.  Only difference is now it's getting noticed and discussed, be it for good or for bad.  

Her popularity might go awry and cause her to turn into a complete self focused twit, but thus far she's using her star power to push for ways to help the needy and disadvantaged, and so far seems to be a genuinely nice and humane person.  I can live with that.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:35 pm

alohafri wrote:

I'm somewhere in the middle.  First, I don't think she's a media creation.  She got elected before any of us knew who the hell she was.   She was elected based on hard work and selling people on her ideas.  I don't think twitter followers means much, other than the fact that it must drive Trump nuts.  I actually do follow her and have since she won the primary, because I want to know what she has to say.  She's naive, for sure, and I suspect she will make a lot of mistakes and will learn along the way.  I wouldn't go as far as saying she needs to "shut her mouth and learn her job", but I do think she needs to pick her moments a little better.   Fox and the right have been trying to bring her down and shut her up since she got the nomination, and I love that she's giving it right back to them.   Some things she's said/done have made me cringe a bit, because you don't want to give the right any ammunition (and the fact that they're using a video of her dancing in high school and her borrowed wardrobe for a photo shoot to "prove" that she's actually rich tells you they have very little substance to use against her), but I love what she did trying to track down Mitch McConnell.  I FUCKING LOVE THAT!  That chinless motherfucker needs to be shamed then primaried then run out of Washington on a rail.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:48 pm

And totally as an aside, I've soured on Kamala Harris.  I love her as a senator and I love her on the judiciary committee, but I'm not liking her posturing to run for president.  Mind you, I would have loved her to BE president, but it didn't seem like her moment, and she's been a little sketchy in her fundraising.  I'm guessing she's not doing anything that everyone else is doing, but I don't like where she creates a poll and it's really a link to her fundraising.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm

blondy28 wrote:

I'm somewhere in the middle.  First, I don't think she's a media creation.  She got elected before any of us knew who the hell she was.   She was elected based on hard work and selling people on her ideas.  I don't think twitter followers means much, other than the fact that it must drive Trump nuts.  I actually do follow her and have since she won the primary, because I want to know what she has to say.  She's naive, for sure, and I suspect she will make a lot of mistakes and will learn along the way.  I wouldn't go as far as saying she needs to "shut her mouth and learn her job", but I do think she needs to pick her moments a little better.   Fox and the right have been trying to bring her down and shut her up since she got the nomination, and I love that she's giving it right back to them.   Some things she's said/done have made me cringe a bit, because you don't want to give the right any ammunition (and the fact that they're using a video of her dancing in high school and her borrowed wardrobe for a photo shoot to "prove" that she's actually rich tells you they have very little substance to use against her), but I love what she did trying to track down Mitch McConnell.  I FUCKING LOVE THAT!  That chinless motherfucker needs to be shamed then primaried then run out of Washington on a rail.

It appears we're almost uniformly aligned on this, Pam.  She gets a bit over her skis at times, and needs to learn how NOT to do that, but her deal with "Where's Mitch" yesterday and more today is absolutely phenomenal and well-crafted.  Huge fan of it.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:57 pm

blondy28 wrote:And totally as an aside, I've soured on Kamala Harris.  I love her as a senator and I love her on the judiciary committee, but I'm not liking her posturing to run for president.  Mind you, I would have loved her to BE president, but it didn't seem like her moment, and she's been a little sketchy in her fundraising.  I'm guessing she's not doing anything that everyone else is doing, but I don't like where she creates a poll and it's really a link to her fundraising.

Can't quite figure out what to make of her.  Sometimes she seems as serious as a heart attack, to the point where I find her almost scary and intimidating.  Other times I see her on something like Colbert, and she's charismatic and seems extremely likable in a way that she might be able to pull in centrists just because she seems to have that certain something.  Still, it appears to me that there's something lacking.  Bear in mind a lot of these Dems haven't the faintest clue how to handle running for president.  You can win a senate seat just by seeming like you're smart and serious, but it takes more to win a presidency.  Just seems like all of these supposed candidates are at a loss for how to carry themselves.  That was Bernie's advantage in 2015.  He just ran as his cantankerous, goofy self.  Didn't change a thing, and it ended up being fairly endearing.  I still have Klobuschar as my dark horse, unless she goes and changes how she carries herself, too.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:03 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:And totally as an aside, I've soured on Kamala Harris.  I love her as a senator and I love her on the judiciary committee, but I'm not liking her posturing to run for president.  Mind you, I would have loved her to BE president, but it didn't seem like her moment, and she's been a little sketchy in her fundraising.  I'm guessing she's not doing anything that everyone else is doing, but I don't like where she creates a poll and it's really a link to her fundraising.

Can't quite figure out what to make of her.  Sometimes she seems as serious as a heart attack, to the point where I find her almost scary and intimidating.  Other times I see her on something like Colbert, and she's charismatic and seems extremely likable in a way that she might be able to pull in centrists just because she seems to have that certain something.  Still, it appears to me that there's something lacking.  Bear in mind a lot of these Dems haven't the faintest clue how to handle running for president.  You can win a senate seat just by seeming like you're smart and serious, but it takes more to win a presidency.  Just seems like all of these supposed candidates are at a loss for how to carry themselves.  That was Bernie's advantage in 2015.  He just ran as his cantankerous, goofy self.  Didn't change a thing, and it ended up being fairly endearing.  I still have Klobuschar as my dark horse, unless she goes and changes how she carries herself, too.

I think it was on Bill and Wendy's show this week that someone said the ticket will be Biden/Klobuchar.  Maybe it was Roe Conn.  But I think that's a pretty good ticket.  Klobuchar was phenomenal during the Kavanaugh hearing.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Maybe b/c I am  old but Tip O'Neill was a very famous congressman back in his day - pretty much known to everyone ..

I think the Dems are well on their way to shooting themselves in the foot.  Unfortunately, no matter how many women were elected to congress, and I hope they become the majority in the future, running a female, and especially a female of color, would be a disasterous move, and this should be expressed to Warren, and Harris, and Gillibrand..and any others thinking of running. I'm not even sure running a female  for VP would be a good idea -I like the Killer B's ...Biden and Beto 
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:13 pm

I love Ocasio-Cortez and am in her corner. Yes she's naive, very green and very in your face...blah blah blah. So fuckin' what? Like a breath of fresh air she's jumped onto center stage with more fucking balls than candy-assed appeaser Chuck Schumer ever hoped to have. She's got republicans squirming in their seat...good! Just the other day she schooled that prick Scott Walker by defending her tax hikes for the wealthy and shut his pompous ass down.  

We have a rotting pile of shit that's sitting in the oval office and people are up in arms over this woman? Give me a fucking break. Typical republican smoke screen.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:11 am

Can't argue with a single word of Cream's screed, including the point about Schumer.  How is this clown in leadership?

Last edited by SoxIlliniRob on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:52 am

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

The thing is that media=social media these days. It's sad when on news programs do a "what's trending on social media" segments. It's like this bullshit going on with Manny Machado and Bryce Harper. Everyone with a twitter account has an opinion on where they are going to sign, sharing made up shit about how much is being offered and now Machado's agent is screaming about it.

But back to your original point, I think she needs to learn the job before spouting off in the way she is. She strikes me as the Democrat version of the Tea Party, and you know my feelings about them and the way they went about things.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:54 am

The most common thread among tea partiers was religious dogma, despite their claims that they were about reducing gov't spending.  That said, I understand your comparison.  AOC and the Tea Party people were equally noisy.  Seems to me like AOC is mostly using her platform to troll some of the uptight right, while also using it to advance ideas that people consider taboo.  Overall, I'm ok with that, while wishing she'd stop saying such dumb things.  Better get used to this.  She is a perfect example of the millennial generation.  They do things differently.  They think differently.  They believe we oldies have screwed shit up royally (actually, we have!) and they figure the only way to fix it might be by extreme measures.  I recently read a pretty good column in either Forbes or WSJ about how royally the boomer generation has both gotten the absolute best benefits out of our government, and also screwed it the fuck up for the younger generations, as we'll have hell to pay in fixing the deficits, debts, crumbling infrastructure, gun culture, ridiculous overabundance of $$ in politics, etc.  All of this was ushered in and enabled by the boomer generation running the country for the last 30 yrs.

If I can see a difference between AOC and the Tea Party, AOC seems to be concentrating all of her energy (be it noisy, dumb or annoying to many) toward advocating for the poor, needy, disadvantaged, etc.  I'm not sure that the Tea Party was doing any such thing.  They wanted to bring more religion into government and to cut gov't spending on safety net programs.  Similar tactics, maybe.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:45 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:The most common thread among tea partiers was religious dogma, despite their claims that they were about reducing gov't spending.  That said, I understand your comparison.  AOC and the Tea Party people were equally noisy.  Seems to me like AOC is mostly using her platform to troll some of the uptight right, while also using it to advance ideas that people consider taboo.  Overall, I'm ok with that, while wishing she'd stop saying such dumb things.  Better get used to this.  She is a perfect example of the millennial generation.  They do things differently.  They think differently.  They believe we oldies have screwed shit up royally (actually, we have!) and they figure the only way to fix it might be by extreme measures.  I recently read a pretty good column in either Forbes or WSJ about how royally the boomer generation has both gotten the absolute best benefits out of our government, and also screwed it the fuck up for the younger generations, as we'll have hell to pay in fixing the deficits, debts, crumbling infrastructure, gun culture, ridiculous overabundance of $$ in politics, etc.  All of this was ushered in and enabled by the boomer generation running the country for the last 30 yrs.

If I can see a difference between AOC and the Tea Party, AOC seems to be concentrating all of her energy (be it noisy, dumb or annoying to many) toward advocating for the poor, needy, disadvantaged, etc.  I'm not sure that the Tea Party was doing any such thing.  They wanted to bring more religion into government and to cut gov't spending on safety net programs.  Similar tactics, maybe.

Wasn't the tea party first a movement before it was a political caucus?  I kind of thought it was based in racism which then had to find a cause to rally around.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:51 pm

blondy28 wrote:

Wasn't the tea party first a movement before it was a political caucus?  I kind of thought it was based in racism which then had to find a cause to rally around.

I've heard a lot of people claim it's based in racism, but you're not going to get Tea Party folks to ever admit to that.  That said, Pew or Gallup polled something like a few thousand of them about their views regarding gov't spending, racism, education, religion, etc.  The most common thread between them all was a want for more religion and religious tests in public schools, government, and society.  After that, they wanted less government benefits, such as food stamps and welfare, etc.  Despite all their yapping about gov't spending, religion was their most common thread.  And now those same people love the guy that's pushing the deficit in a very terrible direction, and who demonstrates not a shred of religious leaning in his body.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

I've heard a lot of people claim it's based in racism, but you're not going to get Tea Party folks to ever admit to that.  That said, Pew or Gallup polled something like a few thousand of them about their views regarding gov't spending, racism, education, religion, etc.  The most common thread between them all was a want for more religion and religious tests in public schools, government, and society.  After that, they wanted less government benefits, such as food stamps and welfare, etc.  Despite all their yapping about gov't spending, religion was their most common thread.  And now those same people love the guy that's pushing the deficit in a very terrible direction, and who demonstrates not a shred of religious leaning in his body.

Dontcha think it's more than a claim?  I mean, they had signs with Obama hanging by a noose.  Sure, it wasn't all of them, but you didn't see any of the people marching alongside that sign tearing it down.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:43 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Dontcha think it's more than a claim?  I mean, they had signs with Obama hanging by a noose.  Sure, it wasn't all of them, but you didn't see any of the people marching alongside that sign tearing it down.

Well, Pam, I think you know where I stand in terms of my opinions about the Tea Party, regarding racism and any other applicable "isms."  I didn't mean to bring that into the conversation because I was just talking about what they admit to being (religious zealots).  I figure if they actually admitted to being religious zealots in a poll, then nobody can accuse me of being subjective when I say AOC is different, because their cause is steeped in racism, bigotry and religious zealotry, while she very much is not.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Well, Pam, I think you know where I stand in terms of my opinions about the Tea Party, regarding racism and any other applicable "isms."  I didn't mean to bring that into the conversation because I was just talking about what they admit to being (religious zealots).  I figure if they actually admitted to being religious zealots in a poll, then nobody can accuse me of being subjective when I say AOC is different, because their cause is steeped in racism, bigotry and religious zealotry, while she very much is not.

I always thought it was kind of her approach that they were comparing to the Tea Party, not the issues, and frankly I don't think they even have a similar approach.  But speaking of religion, did you see the 2nd lead pastor at the 2nd largest mega church in this area just went down.  Hybels went down at Willow Creek, and now it's the guy at Harvest Bible.  Was surprised to turn on the new Mancow show this morning and her Mancow ripping the guy a new one.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 pm

I think she needs to learn the job before spouting off in the way she is.

Like Donald Trump? I'm sorry my friend but, for better or worse, the days of statesmanship and somber leadership are long gone. What we have now is a new reality with people who know how to use that reality and manipulate people in the process. Not saying I applaud it, just saying we'd better learn to live with it. Look at that piece of shit in the White House. The old saying has finally come true. Literally anyone can grow up to be president. How's that working out for us? 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:45 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

I always thought it was kind of her approach that they were comparing to the Tea Party, not the issues, and frankly I don't think they even have a similar approach.  But speaking of religion, did you see the 2nd lead pastor at the 2nd largest mega church in this area just went down.  Hybels went down at Willow Creek, and now it's the guy at Harvest Bible.  Was surprised to turn on the new Mancow show this morning and her Mancow ripping the guy a new one.

I don't know what is meant by "went down" aside from the filthy things my mind can conjure.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:55 pm

cream919 wrote:I think she needs to learn the job before spouting off in the way she is.

Like Donald Trump? I'm sorry my friend but, for better or worse, the days of statesmanship and somber leadership are long gone. What we have now is a new reality with people who know how to use that reality and manipulate people in the process. Not saying I applaud it, just saying we'd better learn to live with it. Look at that piece of shit in the White House. The old saying has finally come true. Literally anyone can grow up to be president. How's that working out for us? 

Good point and an issue worthy of debate.  Is this the new normal?  Or is this just a blip in our history where nothing fucking matters except winning and owning the other side?  McConnell blocks Obama's SCOTUS appointment.  Trump lies, cheats, commits crimes, and does it in full sunlight while his cult members make excuses for him.  I honestly don't know what to think except that maybe the rules of statesmanship and honor changed and nobody told the liberals about it?  I watched the now-governor of GA fiddle with and change the voting rules (because as Sec of State, he could do that!) prior to the election in ways that could/would help him the governor's election.  He then won, barely, by a vote count small enough to possibly be due to his manipulating and blocking of voter registrations, and I'm left to wonder if rules no longer apply?  Is the new normal to just do whatever the fuck you can get away with without having SCOTUS come in and stop you?  Seems like it, right?  Tell lies.  Tweet lies.  Lie to Congress.  Commit known campaign finance felonies.  Tell people to lie to congress.  Declare a national emergency.  Block voter registrations.  Go out in NC and collect absentee ballots from Dem voters and throw them away.  Tell the world that there's a congressional delegation of Dems flying into Afghanistan so that their security is breached and they have to cancel their trip.  Does any of this matter?  Will anyone be arrested or censured?  Maybe AOC needs to be mouthing off MORE?  Maybe thank God the libs have one person willing to fight back?  Or should she be more stately, like the rest of them?
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Oh please - they were after more religion and government control on spending?  Yea, thats what they say to people to avoid coming out and saying its because "we hate niggers". That come to Jesus desire just happened to coincide with the election of a black president?  What a fuckin' coincidence. Everything that has gone done in this country since 2008 has been to accomplish one thing - keep the old white man in charge.  Religion is a bullshit reason that the rich, white fuckers spew out there to get the sheep to follow. Trump anti abortion?  give me a fuckin' break.  How religious you think the Koch bros and McConnell and the Catholic poster boy Ryan really are? You think they are following the "word and deeds of Jesus Christ"?  Everything happening now is the line in the sand to keep the white boys in complete control, and to keep those without millions of dollars buried. And if you're poor, or middle classs - watch your back be/c they don't give a shit about you either .   So yea, "God bless the united states of America"  ..crock of crap
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:09 pm

That's it Tim!! Testify brother testify!!! Totally on point. How many minority tea baggers have you ever seen? That entire movement is nothing more than the progeny of white fear! pale So-called "Christians" worshiping at the alter of Donald Trump. Good God indeed!!  Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:05 pm