Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

Chief Wahoo

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Chief Wahoo Empty Chief Wahoo

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Looks like good ol' Chief Wahoo is being put to rest after this season.  I'm sure Donnie in Cleveland is pissed off like nobody's business.  Can't say it's a surprise that this decision was made, but racial caricatures all seem to be meeting the same ends.  Not sure if the Blackhawks' logo is considered a caricature, since it's kind of a more serious looking rendering, but I wonder if it'll be booted sometime soon, too.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Chief Wahoo Empty Re: Chief Wahoo

Post by sharpy Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:07 am

I think the name Indians, which some consider derogatory, is more likely to go before Blackhawk which is just a name, not a slur, and more a praise rather than a negative reference. 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:34 am

I wasn't thinking the name Blackhawks would go away. Just the logo, eventually.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I wasn't thinking the name Blackhawks would go away.  Just the logo, eventually.

But the Blackhawk's logo doesn't make a native American look the equivalent of Sambo .. I see it as a very respectful logo..maybe I'm not being objective be/c I love that logo, but it never struck me as being the same as Chief Wahoo, or being a Redskin
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Agreed, Tim.  But sometimes what we think is common sense is not so common to those making the decision.  The Hawks logo seems like it could stick around, but who knows?
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:20 pm

Long overdue in my opinion. Washington Redskins are fighting this but just making themselves look silly in the process.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:16 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Agreed, Tim.  But sometimes what we think is common sense is not so common to those making the decision.  The Hawks logo seems like it could stick around, but who knows?

Wasn't the Blackhawks and the logo discussed a few years ago and Indian groups didn't find either offensive?
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Agreed, Tim.  But sometimes what we think is common sense is not so common to those making the decision.  The Hawks logo seems like it could stick around, but who knows?

Wasn't the Blackhawks and the logo discussed a few years ago and Indian groups didn't find either offensive?
    Correct. Apparently viewed as respectful and adopted as he was a warrior.

As an aside, over the last many years, it has been consistently voted the best uniform/logo in all of sports.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am

frank bonifacic wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

As an aside, over the last many years, it has been consistently voted the best uniform/logo in all of sports.

Plus, it doesn't appear to have that silly, caricature look about it, the way Wahoo does.  Not sure why the Illini got rid of the Chief logo, because it also lacked that silly look about it.  Might have had something to do with the head dress on the Chief and it not being the typical garb of an Illini chief.  I do know why they got rid of the dancing goofball Chief, however.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:05 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Plus, it doesn't appear to have that silly, caricature look about it, the way Wahoo does.  Not sure why the Illini got rid of the Chief logo, because it also lacked that silly look about it.  Might have had something to do with the head dress on the Chief and it not being the typical garb of an Illini chief.  I do know why they got rid of the dancing goofball Chief, however.

I can see the Chief (ie. the non-Indian doing a "war dance"), but the logo wasn't like Chief Wahoo, or the old Atlanta Braves' Indian head.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:26 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I can see the Chief (ie. the non-Indian doing a "war dance"), but the logo wasn't like Chief Wahoo, or the old Atlanta Braves' Indian head.

Exactly.  I can't recall what was wrong w/ the Braves' head.  The Illini logo was mundane and non-silly.  I do seem to recall there being some concern about him wearing a full feather head dress, which I guess is not a normal thing for a chief.  Details, details!
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:03 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Exactly.  I can't recall what was wrong w/ the Braves' head.  The Illini logo was mundane and non-silly.  I do seem to recall there being some concern about him wearing a full feather head dress, which I guess is not a normal thing for a chief.  Details, details!

"Chief" Wahoo McDaniel wore a full headdress.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoo_McDaniel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 5:00 pm