Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

+3
frank bonifacic
SoxIlliniRob
sharpy
7 posters

Q

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Q - Page 2 Empty Re: Q

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon May 14, 2018 4:32 pm

blondy28 wrote:He's hot garbage.  Leadoff man got on every inning.  Everyone takes counts deep against him.  He just flat out sucks if he's not facing Milwaukee.

Definitely hot garbage this year.  Not sure why the sudden decline.  He is immensely less effective these days than in prior seasons.  I don't get to see him enough to know if it's related to a velocity drop, or a problem with his pitch location.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon May 14, 2018 6:38 pm

blondy28 wrote:He's hot garbage.  Leadoff man got on every inning.  Everyone takes counts deep against him.  He just flat out sucks if he's not facing Milwaukee.

No take backs!
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue May 15, 2018 4:24 pm

alohafri wrote:

No take backs!

On the bet...or the horrible trade?  Cuz I'd really like to take Eloy back.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue May 15, 2018 8:40 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

No take backs!

On the bet...or the horrible trade?  Cuz I'd really like to take Eloy back.

The trade. Smile
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:29 pm

After two months, or 1/3, of the season.
    6 wins (on track for 17 or 18)
    7-4 in games he starts.  Team with a .636 Win Pct in his starts.  
    ERA starting to come back toward his norm.  
    I'm not sold on believing he's still the same guy he's always been.  Just seems more hittable in the past year or two.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:32 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:After two months, or 1/3, of the season.
    I'm not sold on believing he's still the same guy he's always been.  Just seems more hittable in the past year or two.

Thank Cubs' bats for that.  Yesterday he twice barely got over to cover first, so his defense sucks.  And he can't hit.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:38 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:After two months, or 1/3, of the season.

Thank Cubs' bats for that.  Yesterday he twice barely got over to cover first, so his defense sucks.  And he can't hit.

These stats aren't meant to tell any kind of story, really.  They are just a way to track our friendly bet.  I only said in the first place that I assumed Q would now be a 15 game winner with this kind of run production behind him.  My son can NEVER remember to cover first base when he pitches.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:01 pm

Knowing how well Quintana used to pitch in the 2nd half, I'm not worried yet. I probably shouldn't have bet on the team winning the game bc of the Cub bats, but thru the years Q hasn't let me down so I'm still confident. 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:49 pm

sharpy wrote:Knowing how well Quintana used to pitch in the 2nd half, I'm not worried yet. I probably shouldn't have bet on the team winning the game bc of the Cub bats, but thru the years Q hasn't let me down so I'm still confident. 

You're right.  Cubs won on a Heyward walk-off granny last night.  No decision for Quintana.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    sharpy wrote:Knowing how well Quintana used to pitch in the 2nd half, I'm not worried yet. I probably shouldn't have bet on the team winning the game bc of the Cub bats, but thru the years Q hasn't let me down so I'm still confident. 

You're right.  Cubs won on a Heyward walk-off granny last night.  No decision for Quintana.
    That's on the Cubs, just as so many of his NDs were on Sox.
    Seems to be doing quite well of late!
    don't think you'll regret the trade
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:29 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

I have regretted the trade since it happened, and nothing has made me change that opinion...certainly now how well Eloy is doing.   Quintana got a lot of ND's that would have been losses if the Cubs didn't bail his ass out.  He started his last game as he often does...going deep into a count and walking the lead-off man.  As long as we just have him pitch against Milwaukee, we'll be fine.  The point of my post is that Sharpy will likely lose the bet because of the team winning games when Quintana pitches...even if it means scoring 9 runs in the bottom of the 8th to do it.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:35 am

He is usually among league leaders in quality starts, year in and year out. With the Cubs' hitting that ought to translate into W's, unless as Sharpy insists (and maybe he is right), Q is only good enough to pitch to the level of competition and not win.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:25 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

I have regretted the trade since it happened, and nothing has made me change that opinion...certainly now how well Eloy is doing.   Quintana got a lot of ND's that would have been losses if the Cubs didn't bail his ass out.  He started his last game as he often does...going deep into a count and walking the lead-off man.  As long as we just have him pitch against Milwaukee, we'll be fine.  The point of my post is that Sharpy will likely lose the bet because of the team winning games when Quintana pitches...even if it means scoring 9 runs in the bottom of the 8th to do it.
    I see where the Sox bamboozled the Red Sox also. Got Moncada and (forget pitcher's name-senior moment) for that scrub Sale. He lost again last night and is now 5-4. Another piece of hot garbage the Sox were able to dump on unsuspecting Red Sox!
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:14 am

Cubs win another one.  Q doesn't factor.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:02 am

blondy28 wrote:Cubs win another one.  Q doesn't factor.
    4 hits in 6 innings -and not a factor?  The Cubs could certainly have tried to score more than ONE run in the first seven innings.
    you're starting to argue like Kark. lol
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:28 am

Pam.  That's absurd.  Flat out absurd.  There's a reason they call it a "quality" start and a reason why they place value on such a start.  The Cubs ARE allowed to score 3 runs in the first 6 innings and render Q as having been a factor.  Holding a first place team to two runs in 6 innings is valuable in the MLB.  I don't say this to tout Q.  Seems to me he's fallen off a bit from his better days, but his ERA is slowly creeping toward his norms, and his norms are VERY strong in terms of WAR, typical ERA, quality starts.  As I have always said, he's a #1 on a non-playoff team, a #2 on a playoff team, and a #3 on a WS contender.  A World Series team DOES need a #3, last time I checked.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:53 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Pam.  That's absurd.  Flat out absurd.  There's a reason they call it a "quality" start and a reason why they place value on such a start.  The Cubs ARE allowed to score 3 runs in the first 6 innings and render Q as having been a factor.  Holding a first place team to two runs in 6 innings is valuable in the MLB.  I don't say this to tout Q.  Seems to me he's fallen off a bit from his better days, but his ERA is slowly creeping toward his norms, and his norms are VERY strong in terms of WAR, typical ERA, quality starts.  As I have always said, he's a #1 on a non-playoff team, a #2 on a playoff team, and a #3 on a WS contender.  A World Series team DOES need a #3, last time I checked.

Aarón Sánchez

SP TOR
    [size=11]3 days ago
    [/size]

Sanchez (3-5) did not factor in the decision against Baltimore on Saturday, allowing two runs on six hits across 6.1 innings. He struck out five and issued four walks.
    EDGE Analysis
    Sanchez put together his second straight quality start although there was plenty of traffic on the bases Saturday. The 25-year-old now has a 4.33 ERA and 1.50 WHIP with 58 strikeouts over 72.2 innings, and is next scheduled to start against the Nationals on Friday.

Jack Flaherty

SP STL
    [size=11]4 weeks ago
    [/size]

Flaherty did not factor into the decision Tuesday, allowing one run on five hits and a walk while striking out three over 5.2 innings against the Twins.
    EDGE Analysis
    With Adam Wainwright (elbow) placed on the disabled list earlier in the day, Flaherty pitched admirably filling in the vacated rotation spot. The 22-year-old didn't allow a baserunner past first base through 5.2 innings until allowing consecutive hits to the final three batters he faced. In three starts in the majors this year, Flaherty has struck out 14 in 15.2 innings to go along with a 2.87 ERA. Though no official announcement has been made regarding Flaherty's status in the rotation, he'd next be lined up to pitch Sunday against the Phillies if he does take another turn.

Perhaps I'm misusing the term, but I have always thought that "did not factor" meant the same as "no decision".  No???  My post was a scorecard for the bet....it's a tally for the Cubs having won, but not a tally for a Q win.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:07 pm

blondy28 wrote:

Perhaps I'm misusing the term, but I have always thought that "did not factor" meant the same as "no decision".  No???  My post was a scorecard for the bet....it's a tally for the Cubs having won, but not a tally for a Q win.

Our (Tim's and my bet) friendly bet was either that Q would win 15 games, or that the Cubs would win 60% of his starts.  I merely said I expected him to be a 15 game winner with the Cubs due to their offense being so much better than the Sox of the last 5 yrs.  The Cubs didn't win BECAUSE of Q yesterday, but it can be said that because of Q they were in a position to win.  If you have offense, you need pitchers that can give you that.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:10 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Our (Tim's and my bet) friendly bet was either that Q would win 15 games, or that the Cubs would win 60% of his starts.  I merely said I expected him to be a 15 game winner with the Cubs due to their offense being so much better than the Sox of the last 5 yrs.  The Cubs didn't win BECAUSE of Q yesterday, but it can be said that because of Q they were in a position to win.  If you have offense, you need pitchers that can give you that.

Of course.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:25 pm

I'd double the bet he's not winning 15 games ...but the cubs might win 60% of his starts .. but that's ok, I still think that's a fair bet ..but I thought it was for $100 ….must have been dreaming that 
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:10 am

frank bonifacic wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Notice no comment from you when Cubs lose game for Q.
    Sunday, 2 on, no one out. Russell gets ground ball and should go for force at 3rd. Instead he bounces throw to Rizzo and batter is safe (they give him hit)
    Now, bases loaded and double play. Run scores and then hit and 2nd run scores.
    So, if Russell makes right play, Q is out of the inning with NO runs scored. Instead he gets the loss.

BTW; Q has given up 2 runs or less in 8 of his last 10 starts! Not bad.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 am

frank bonifacic wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Sunday, 2 on, no one out. Russell gets ground ball and should go for force at 3rd. Instead he bounces throw to Rizzo and batter is safe (they give him hit)
    So, if Russell makes right play, Q is out of the inning with NO runs scored. Instead he gets the loss.

I didn't watch the game.  Went to sleep at 7:00 on Sunday and Monday.  But yeah, Q is a victim, for sure.  Even when he throws 60 pitches through 2 innings it's the catcher's fault.   I'm glad we don't have Eloy anymore.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am

blondy28 wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

I didn't watch the game.  Went to sleep at 7:00 on Sunday and Monday.  But yeah, Q is a victim, for sure.  Even when he throws 60 pitches through 2 innings it's the catcher's fault.   I'm glad we don't have Eloy anymore.
    2 runs or lessen 8 of last 10 would indicate that 60 pitches in 2 innings would be an anomaly.
    PS- Eloy is being moved up to Triple A.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 pm

sharpy wrote:Our (Tim's and my bet) friendly bet was either that Q would win 15 games, or that the Cubs would win 60% of his starts.  I merely said I expected him to be a 15 game winner with the Cubs due to their offense being so much better than the Sox of the last 5 yrs.  The Cubs didn't win BECAUSE of Q yesterday, but it can be said that because of Q they were in a position to win.  If you have offense, you need pitchers that can give you that.

I'd double the bet he's not winning 15 games ...but the cubs might win 60% of his starts .. but that's ok, I still think that's a fair bet ..but I thought it was for $100 ….must have been dreaming that 

Here's what I originally offered up as the bet.  
    $25 says he wins at least 15 next year.  Are we on, Tim?  Or better yet, if I lose I buy you a ticket to a game in 2019 and pay for your beers during the game.  Shit, the Sox might even be worth watching by then.

Of course, an argument can be made that sitting with me for a full Sox game might be a punishment rather than a reward.

Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:14 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Regardless, can't really win if they don't score runs.  He's had pretty good stuff lately.  If I have any complaint about him it's that he's not pitching to contact.  He has really good control and hits spots and gets foul balls and swing and misses, so he's deep in every count.  You just don't see him get a 5 pitch inning.  He's 2-2 or 3-2 on everyone.  Foul, foul, foul, and then either walk, strikeout and something else.  My take on him is that his stuff is good in that he has good control, but I think that it's not moving much, so if he leaves it over the plate it gets kilt.  We can nitpick him all we want, but he's deep in every count he's going to be out of games after 6 innings and it's hard to get wins when you last only six inns.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:14 pm