Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

+3
frank bonifacic
SoxIlliniRob
sharpy
7 posters

Q

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Q - Page 5 Empty Re: Q

Post by blondy28 Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:30 pm

alohafri wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:Does Q make it out of the second inning?  Sox fans must be laughing their asses off watching him and knowing how they scammed the Cubs into taking him and trading their best prospect for this garbage.

Geez, you're a tough grader.  He's definitely not the guy he has been in prior seasons, and yes, we're glad about the trade, but he got out of that inning nicely.  He's had some decent outings as of late.  Let's face it...he's a guy that gives you probably two decent to good starts in every three.  The third one is often a clunker.  Calling a guy like that "Garbage" is pretty harsh.

I wouldn't put him in the playoff rotation.  Go with a 3-man rotation.  If you go with a 4-man, start Montgomery.

You have to put him in the playoffs the way pitching goes now. Four innings then bring on the bullpen! Weeeeee!

Cubs have no bullpen, so maybe Q will be the long reliever.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Cubs need Q to stop the bleeding.  I'm not confident.  Of course, he could pitch a 1-run complete game and Cubs could still lose 1-0.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:53 pm

sharpy wrote:Figuring that Q has one more start this year, he is currently 13-11 so its impossible for him to win 15, and the Cubs are currently 17-13 in games he has started, so even if they win the next game, and go 18-13, that comes to 58%.....oh no …..even if he gets 2 starts, and the Cubs win both and go 19-13, that's 0.59375, or at best, 59%.....and we would split 

Montgomery is scheduled to pitch Sunday, so barring a one-game playoff game in the event of a tie with Milwaukee (not even sure that tiebreaker games are played if both teams would make playoffs anyway...would think so for seeding), Q's regular season is over.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:27 am

They would have a playoff to figure out who the division winner is. Neither wants the wild card.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:36 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:They would have a playoff to figure out who the division winner is.  Neither wants the wild card.
    Right.  Usually I'm all for less teams making the playoffs but in the case of the addition of the 5th team, I'm all for it.  As it should be, winning a playoff spot is far less valuable than winning a division.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:03 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:They would have a playoff to figure out who the division winner is.  Neither wants the wild card.

Kinda what I figured but was too lazy to look it up.  

So here's the question.  Cubs have to do a one-game playoff...do you pitch Q?  I suppose with his success against Milwaukee, that makes the most sense.  But what about this scenario.  Let's say Cubs lose next two and Milwaukee wins next two and Cubs end up with the wild card.  Do you start Q against who I assume will be Kershaw?  I'm saying hell no.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:26 pm

blondy28 wrote:

Kinda what I figured but was too lazy to look it up.  

So here's the question.  Cubs have to do a one-game playoff...do you pitch Q?  I suppose with his success against Milwaukee, that makes the most sense.  But what about this scenario.  Let's say Cubs lose next two and Milwaukee wins next two and Cubs end up with the wild card.  Do you start Q against who I assume will be Kershaw?  I'm saying hell no.

I see Kershaw is pitching today.  Wouldn't think he would be ready to pitch in the Wild Card Play-in on Tuesday...but you never know.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:56 pm

sharpy wrote:Figuring that Q has one more start this year, he is currently 13-11 so its impossible for him to win 15, and the Cubs are currently 17-13 in games he has started, so even if they win the next game, and go 18-13, that comes to 58%.....oh no …..even if he gets 2 starts, and the Cubs win both and go 19-13, that's 0.59375, or at best, 59%.....and we would split 

So Q is starting tomorrow.  This could go either way.  A rout or Q is the hero that Frank has been trying to convince me he would be.  How does this impact your bet with Rob?
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:50 am

I'd have to figure it out but eyeballing it he could win his 15 and my push the Cubs over 60%. I knew I should have gone for 67%- damn
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:22 am

sharpy wrote:I'd have to figure it out but eyeballing it he could win his 15 and my push the Cubs over 60%. I knew I should have gone for 67%- damn

No, Tim.  You end up the winner on each half of this bet.  He needed to win 15.  Most he can do is 14.  Cubs needed to win 60% of his starts, and the most they can do is win 59.375% of his starts.

I'll message you on Facebook to arrange to settle up with you.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:31 am

Quintana pitched pretty well Monday, but again, doesn't win. 
    Is the season a bust if they lose to Colorado? Are they on the verge of being a one season wonder ala the 85 Bears?  Are shorts getting tight in the clubhouse?  And finally, why don't more hitters bunt or steal on Lester since he's a whack job who can't throw to first? 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:29 am

sharpy wrote:Quintana pitched pretty well Monday, but again, doesn't win. 
    Is the season a bust if they lose to Colorado? Are they on the verge of being a one season wonder ala the 85 Bears?  Are shorts getting tight in the clubhouse?  And finally, why don't more hitters bunt or steal on Lester since he's a whack job who can't throw to first? 

I think seasons are a bust if you don't win the WS.  It's certainly possible that the Cubs only win one series.  Not sure if that makes them a one-season wonder.  They appear to be in a position to be compared to the Braves of the 90s, who only won one series.  I'd say "one-season wonder" more aptly describes the White Sox, who have only made it to the playoffs once after having won the World Series.  The Cubs are young and talented and should be in the WS conversation for years to come.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:37 am

The Cubs are young and talented and should be in the WS conversation for years to come.

Near the bottom in offense in the last month. Can't wait until the waste $400 million in Bryce over-hyped Harper this winter. He'll make the Hayward signing look a lot better. Lester getting older. Hendricks had a lously year. Q being Q for a few more years until they sign him for big bucks and make the Harper trade look good. Atlanta if the 90s has one superstar position player, Chipper Jones and 3 HOF starting pitchers- that's not the Cubs. These Cubs are the 1968-74 Cubs. If not for the expanded playoffs, how good are they? Top it all off, they have the most overrated manager in baseball- who almost blew the one series they did win. 
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:25 am

sharpy wrote:The Cubs are young and talented and should be in the WS conversation for years to come.

Near the bottom in offense in the last month. Can't wait until the waste $400 million in Bryce over-hyped Harper this winter. He'll make the Hayward signing look a lot better. Lester getting older. Hendricks had a lously year. Q being Q for a few more years until they sign him for big bucks and make the Harper trade look good. Atlanta if the 90s has one superstar position player, Chipper Jones and 3 HOF starting pitchers- that's not the Cubs. These Cubs are the 1968-74 Cubs. If not for the expanded playoffs, how good are they? Top it all off, they have the most overrated manager in baseball- who almost blew the one series they did win. 

I read where the Cubs tied the Baltimore Orioles for the lead in games where they scored zero or one run at forty games.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:40 am

sharpy wrote:The Cubs are young and talented and should be in the WS conversation for years to come.

The expanded playoff has nothing to do with how good a team is.  Before the expansion, you often had some of the best teams in baseball not make the playoffs.  In 2015, the Cubs, Pirates and St. Louis had the 3 best records in all of baseball, with no American League team having a record better than the 3.  In 2016, the Cubs had the best records in all of baseball.  Cubs won their division in 2017...nothing to do with expanded playoffs.  In 2018, the Cubs had the 2nd best record in the NL, and it took an extra game to decide that.  To say that the Cubs (or any team) haven't been good because of expanded playoffs is patently absurd.  Hell...you just listed some absolutely horrific statistics, yet the Cubs have the 2nd best record in the NL!!!!  If you think this team isn't built to be competitive and in the WS conversation year after year, then you simply have your Hawkaroo glasses on.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:28 am

blondy28 wrote:

The expanded playoff has nothing to do with how good a team is.  Before the expansion, you often had some of the best teams in baseball not make the playoffs.  In 2015, the Cubs, Pirates and St. Louis had the 3 best records in all of baseball, with no American League team having a record better than the 3.  In 2016, the Cubs had the best records in all of baseball.  Cubs won their division in 2017...nothing to do with expanded playoffs.  In 2018, the Cubs had the 2nd best record in the NL, and it took an extra game to decide that.  To say that the Cubs (or any team) haven't been good because of expanded playoffs is patently absurd.  Hell...you just listed some absolutely horrific statistics, yet the Cubs have the 2nd best record in the NL!!!!  If you think this team isn't built to be competitive and in the WS conversation year after year, then you simply have your Hawkaroo glasses on.

They just seemed not to click this year.  There is a significant need for better pitching and for their offense to get more on track.  Hard to understand what went wrong with the offense.  They have a bunch of solid hitters, and even Hayward was improved.  They got more out of Baez than most people expected.  Bryant fell off significantly.  Not quite sure what's wrong with them, but when you have Rizzo leading off here and there, then there's clearly something out of whack with the offense.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:03 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

They just seemed not to click this year.  There is a significant need for better pitching and for their offense to get more on track.  Hard to understand what went wrong with the offense.  They have a bunch of solid hitters, and even Hayward was improved.  They got more out of Baez than most people expected.  Bryant fell off significantly.  Not quite sure what's wrong with them, but when you have Rizzo leading off here and there, then there's clearly something out of whack with the offense.

But it was so coooool to see Rizzo leading off! That's Maddon thinking outside of the box!
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:08 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Well said.  Hendricks had a poor year overall, but seemed to be his old self just after the All Star Break, so I can chalk up the bad first half as an anomaly.  I've always said that Lester is the pitcher about whom I'm least confident, but he always makes a liar out of me in the playoffs.  Darvish is a big question mark, but I have no reason to be confident that he will be any good next year, but I wouldn't be surprised, either, if he had a career year.  Hamels was an outstanding addition.  Strop may actually end up a legit closer, versus one that is just doing it because we don't have anyone else.  I thought he was going to choke last night after being out with a hammy, but man, he was solid.  The offense just didn't show up all year...at least with any consistency.  I knew that after having scored 10 runs on Sunday that we would be hard pressed to score 1 or 2 in game 163 and the Wild Card.  It's just been a predictable trend.  I'm far less concerned about the pitching than I've been in any year.  Rizzo led off when he would slump.  Maddon did that with everyone.  If they were slumping he'd move them to lead-off.  I think Rizzo has the highest batting average (small sample) of any Cub lead-off hitter in history.  Frankly, I was surprised that Maddon didn't have him lead off last night, knowing that it has always sparked the offense.  Zobrist might be comeback player of the year (not sure if he has enough innings), but I don't like him leading off.  Bryant was injured pretty much the entire year.  Never really himself.  Heyward had a great year, and if the typical hitters can match their "normal" production, and Heyward doesn't match his "normal" output, I can't imagine that the Cubs aren't in the playoff conversation next year.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:08 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

But it was so coooool to see Rizzo leading off! That's Maddon thinking outside of the box!

It worked, though.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:10 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Last night was the first I saw of the Cubs this year.  Bryant looked like a different hitter than I've seen.  Totally over-matched, not even close on many pitches.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:15 pm

jaywit wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Last night was the first I saw of the Cubs this year.  Bryant looked like a different hitter than I've seen.  Totally over-matched, not even close on many pitches.

He's had shoulder issues all year.  When he was coming back, they reported that they were changing his swing so that he kept both hands on the bat all the way through the follow-through to prevent more stress on the shoulder.  The announcer even pointed it out last night...that he keeps both hands on the bat.  I'm not sure what the plans are over the winter, but it will be interesting to see how they address it.  Will they try to strengthen the shoulder so he can go back to his old swing, or will he be practicing to get used to the new two-handed swing?  Dunno.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:22 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

He's had shoulder issues all year.  When he was coming back, they reported that they were changing his swing so that he kept both hands on the bat all the way through the follow-through to prevent more stress on the shoulder.  The announcer even pointed it out last night...that he keeps both hands on the bat.  I'm not sure what the plans are over the winter, but it will be interesting to see how they address it.  Will they try to strengthen the shoulder so he can go back to his old swing, or will he be practicing to get used to the new two-handed swing?  Dunno.
    Thanks, that explains it.  He looked like the real deal when I saw him in the past and had numbers to prove it.  Hate to see talent wasted by injury.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:16 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

What's wrong with his shoulder?  Can they fix him?  Now would be the time to do it.  I've had a couple of shoulder surgeries.  Took a while to get my throwing back to normal, but I could hit just fine pretty quickly (fine for me means that I was sucking at my customary levels of suckitude).
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:14 pm

You're probably not old enough but these are the exact same excuses Cub fans used from 67-74.  Off years, didn't click, not enough pitching, no lead off hitter (?Kessinger), bad manager, bad luck, etc etc etc.  Since 2014 the Cubs have won their division twice- wild card twice.  You yourself stated the season is a bust without a World Series. Old Cubs had great records too, just not good enough. Contreras thinks he's Roy Campanella - hits .260 with 10 Homer's and watches fly balls drop in the field. I don't have Hawkeroo glasses on, but you sure have Brickhouse shades going. Hey Hey. 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:15 pm

sharpy wrote:The expanded playoff has nothing to do with how good a team is.  Before the expansion, you often had some of the best teams in baseball not make the playoffs.  In 2015, the Cubs, Pirates and St. Louis had the 3 best records in all of baseball, with no American League team having a record better than the 3.  In 2016, the Cubs had the best records in all of baseball.  Cubs won their division in 2017...nothing to do with expanded playoffs.  In 2018, the Cubs had the 2nd best record in the NL, and it took an extra game to decide that.  To say that the Cubs (or any team) haven't been good because of expanded playoffs is patently absurd.  Hell...you just listed some absolutely horrific statistics, yet the Cubs have the 2nd best record in the NL!!!!  If you think this team isn't built to be competitive and in the WS conversation year after year, then you simply have your Hawkaroo glasses on.

You're probably not old enough but these are the exact same excuses Cub fans used from 67-74.  Off years, didn't click, not enough pitching, no lead off hitter (?Kessinger), bad manager, bad luck, etc etc etc.  Since 2014 the Cubs have won their division twice- wild card twice.  You yourself stated the season is a bust without a World Series. Old Cubs had great records too, just not good enough. Contreras thinks he's Roy Campanella - hits .260 with 10 Homer's and watches fly balls drop in the field. I don't have Hawkeroo glasses on, but you sure have Brickhouse shades going. Hey Hey. 

What excuse?  Excuse for what?  I think that a team that benefits by expanded playoff format can actually be good.  The Yankees have been the wild card two straight years.  If not for the expanded format, they'd have gone home after game 162.  I think they're quite good.   I think they're better than Cleveland, even though Cleveland won a division.  If the Cubs had beaten the Brewers on Monday and won the division, that really wouldn't have fundamentally changed my opinion on how good they are/were.  If they had won, it simply would have extended their season by one series, and they possibly could have gotten hot enough to go deeper into the playoffs.  Or not.  My point is that my opinion on how good a team is isn't really impacted by whether they win a division versus wild card.  

My larger point was that the Cubs have been built to be competitive for many years.  You think it's time to back up the truck and rebuild.   We simply disagree.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:14 pm