Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

Is Beto fever a thing?

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Is Beto fever a thing? Empty Is Beto fever a thing?

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 am

I don't know whether I buy into this Beto thing or not.  He's a great communicator, but I wonder if he can pull an engaging message together and sell it to the masses.  Granted, anything up to and including a pile of dog crap would be a better option than Trump, so I'd surely vote for the guy in the general election, but I get the feeling this excitement for the guy will heat up and then thin out quickly.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  Just seems to me that his message, whatever it is, might begin to wear thin.  

It's not lost on me that the candidate that's most talking about policy and objective plans is Warren, who I don't see as having the slightest chance of winning anything.  

Would sure be nice if the Sox were good enough for me to want to post about that instead of this.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Is Beto fever a thing? Empty Re: Is Beto fever a thing?

Post by blondy28 Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:18 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I don't know whether I buy into this Beto thing or not.  He's a great communicator, but I wonder if he can pull an engaging message together and sell it to the masses.  Granted, anything up to and including a pile of dog crap would be a better option than Trump, so I'd surely vote for the guy in the general election, but I get the feeling this excitement for the guy will heat up and then thin out quickly.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  Just seems to me that his message, whatever it is, might begin to wear thin.  

It's not lost on me that the candidate that's most talking about policy and objective plans is Warren, who I don't see as having the slightest chance of winning anything.  

Would sure be nice if the Sox were good enough for me to want to post about that instead of this.

What has struck me is his faux pas.  The "born to be in it" thing...totally minor, but made me think he's not ready for prime time.  It wasn't until the "clinging to their god and their guns" comment that Obama really had one of those (although if memory serves, that wasn't said in public, but those things get out).  

My husband's best friend texted me a picture of his daughter and some friends posing with Beto Sunday.  She lives in Wisconsin and they were going to see him speak.  I think he definitely appeals to young people, but not so sure he appeals to the super engaged young people like my son and his friends.  Jake is 100% team Bernie, with a secondary nod to Elizabeth Warren.  I asked him who he was voting for in the Chicago Mayoral race, which I admittedly know virtually nothing about since I don't have a vote, but I assumed he'd be pro Lori Lightfoot since he's been so involved in LGBTQ rights, and he HATES Lori Lightfoot because of her positions on building a new police academy.  The hashtag, in case you're wondering, is #NoCopAcademy.  He said that she has proposed to convert the 38 public schools that were shut down on the west and south side into police training facilities.  He said, and I quote, "That shit is dystopian, so I'll be voting for Preckwinkle."
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 pm

I don't view the "born to be in it" thing as a faux pas.  It just seems like folks are looking for something to criticize.  Same as with his comment on occasionally helping his wife at home.  Dumb comment?  Maybe.  Worthy of criticism?  Not really in my world.  Almost seems like they are trying to find something to pick on with the guy.  Maybe after a few years of Trump I'm numb to anything said by anyone unless it's just blatantly racist, sexist or crazy.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I don't view the "born to be in it" thing as a faux pas.  It just seems like folks are looking for something to criticize.  Same as with his comment on occasionally helping his wife at home.  Dumb comment?  Maybe.  Worthy of criticism?  Not really in my world.  Almost seems like they are trying to find something to pick on with the guy.  Maybe after a few years of Trump I'm numb to anything said by anyone unless it's just blatantly racist, sexist or crazy.

I think most of the things that people lose their minds over are pretty absurd, but I'd like to see him handle them better...kind of like when he dropped the F-bomb on live TV unapologetically.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:01 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:I don't view the "born to be in it" thing as a faux pas.  It just seems like folks are looking for something to criticize.  Same as with his comment on occasionally helping his wife at home.  Dumb comment?  Maybe.  Worthy of criticism?  Not really in my world.  Almost seems like they are trying to find something to pick on with the guy.  Maybe after a few years of Trump I'm numb to anything said by anyone unless it's just blatantly racist, sexist or crazy.

I think most of the things that people lose their minds over are pretty absurd, but I'd like to see him handle them better...kind of like when he dropped the F-bomb on live TV unapologetically.
    I was impressed with him when I heard him speak last fall but now as I think of it, I'm not sure I was impressed because he was giving Cruz a run for his money in what should have been a cakewalk or if it was because of what he was actually saying.  He definitely has charisma but it will interesting to see what he stands for.  One thing seems clear:  the repubs are very afraid of his popularity.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:11 pm

As I previously said, would make a strong vice president - as would K. Harris ...but Beto couldn't win his home state, would he win any other GOP held states?  Is he experienced enough to run for president? or worse, govern as president? 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:11 pm

sharpy wrote:As I previously said, would make a strong vice president - as would K. Harris ...but Beto couldn't win his home state, would he win any other GOP held states?  Is he experienced enough to run for president? or worse, govern as president? 

Do you think he could win Ohio?  The guy works his ass off...going to all counties, speaking in dive bars, small venues, larger venues, etc.  He's never going to win a deep red state, but I'd say he has a fair shot at some purple states...especially ones that bought into the Trump schtick but now don't have a job because of tariffs.  I don't think he'll get the nomination...I think it will be a Biden/Beto ticket.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:17 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:I don't know whether I buy into this Beto thing or not.  He's a great communicator, but I wonder if he can pull an engaging message together and sell it to the masses.  Granted, anything up to and including a pile of dog crap would be a better option than Trump, so I'd surely vote for the guy in the general election, but I get the feeling this excitement for the guy will heat up and then thin out quickly.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  Just seems to me that his message, whatever it is, might begin to wear thin.  

What has struck me is his faux pas.  The "born to be in it" thing...totally minor, but made me think he's not ready for prime time.  It wasn't until the "clinging to their god and their guns" comment that Obama really had one of those (although if memory serves, that wasn't said in public, but those things get out).  

My husband's best friend texted me a picture of his daughter and some friends posing with Beto Sunday.  She lives in Wisconsin and they were going to see him speak.  I think he definitely appeals to young people, but not so sure he appeals to the super engaged young people like my son and his friends.  Jake is 100% team Bernie, with a secondary nod to Elizabeth Warren.  I asked him who he was voting for in the Chicago Mayoral race, which I admittedly know virtually nothing about since I don't have a vote, but I assumed he'd be pro Lori Lightfoot since he's been so involved in LGBTQ rights, and he HATES Lori Lightfoot because of her positions on building a new police academy.  The hashtag, in case you're wondering, is #NoCopAcademy.  He said that she has proposed to convert the 38 public schools that were shut down on the west and south side into police training facilities.  He said, and I quote, "That shit is dystopian, so I'll be voting for Preckwinkle."

Chance the Rapper endorsed Preckwinkle today.  When they announced it on WGN, Bill and Wendy were rather surprised.  Jake texted me a screen shot from Twitter that said "At the press conference now for @chancetherapper.  He begins with remembrance of #RekiaBoyd and praise for activists, organizers that he's met with over the past couple weeks.  Activists told him they don't feel safe in a city with Lightfoot on the 5th floor."  I really like Chance and everything he does for the community.  He walks the talk, but clearly, he listens too.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Do you think he could win Ohio?  

More and more I'm losing confidence that any democrat can win this stupid shithole state. Oh they will win Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati, like always, but the rest of the state is as dumb and idiotic as the deepest of the Mississippi districts. The orangutan was in Lordstown, where the big GM plant just closed, and Trump blamed the Union Chief - and every one cheered and agreed with him.  Went to some tank factory, told everyone that he saved their jobs - and they cheered. Stopped somewhere else and told a bunch of lies, ripped into John McCain again, and everyone cheered. The fucking stupidity of these people is utterly amazing.  Who will definitely NOT win - Kamala Harris, Stacy Abrams, Elizabeth Warren, - hate to say it. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm