Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

exit velocity

jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

exit velocity Empty exit velocity

Post by jaywit Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:09 am

I've watched very little baseball in the last 2-3 years.  Pandemic shortened season, 7 innings games, runner on 2nd in extras, games averaging 5 pitchers per team (I'm estimating that, just seems that way when I read box scores), increasing interleague play, prolonged pitching changes have all taken their toll.  Also, my Dad, a lifelong Sox fan that went back to the early Luke Appling years, passed away at 94 y/o from Covid in 2020.   I always enjoyed talking baseball and getting his old stories (he saw Yogi Berra hit two homers in Old Comiskey's upper deck in one game, one in right field, one in left).  Also, I often used baseball as a tool to keep our conversations and communication going.

That said, by not seeing much baseball recently, I've gotten away from a lot of the new tech broadcasts.   A few years ago, I remember seeing exit velocity discussed or posted when someone hit a homer.  On tonight's Mariners game, I see it posted on nearly every ball in play.  While my initial thoughts were "that's annoying" my subsequent thoughts changed after seeing a player robbed by hitting a screaming liner right at a perfectly positioned shortstop.  The liner was about 10 mph higher than a subsequent homer.  If they are officially calculating exit velocity for every at bat, I'd be interested to know who the league leaders are.  It wouldn't and shouldn't replace current stats like batting average or slugging percentage but I could see where it would be complementary to them.  I'd like to know how exit velocity for a team coordinates with their win total.  I'd also like to know the exit velocity allowed for the pitching staff and see how that coordinates with other measures of efficacy.

In the past, typically when I've raised some question about stats on the board, Roger would come in with information indicating someone else had already thought of whatever point I was raising.  But Roger doesn't seem to be here anymore and a slightly more than cursory review of stats on ESPN or Baseball Reference doesn't indicate this is closely being tracked.  

So, does anyone know if this is becoming a thing to be followed somewhere?  
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

exit velocity Empty Re: exit velocity

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:23 am

All good questions, Jay.  Nice to see you back here, and sorry about the news of your dad's passing.  

I know that exit velos are out there for perusal, but I've never looked or tried.  Or maybe they only track the top ones.  You'll sometimes see someone like Eloy hit a homer and they'll say this is the 2nd or 4th hardest hit ball this season, so you have to figure that they're available SOMEHOW.  I just don't really know how.  I look at the exit velos on every hit as about the same thing as seeing the mph of every pitch in the corner of the screen.  It's interesting, although it strikes me as weird sometimes like if someone pops out on the infield or bounces to the pitcher.  Saw Eloy drive a many-bouncer through the hole the other day.  Off the bat looked like a ground out, but Stone pointed out that this is why exit velo matters...because his grounders are harder to get in front of.  He's right.  It matters.  Launch angle matters, but doesn't strike me as nearly as interesting, since you can get hits at just about any launch angle aside from 80+ degrees.  

I think Roger was on the other board for a while after we left.  I'd look there and he'd be reasoning with Kark, while Kark insulted him repeatedly.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 am

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:27 am

According to the link I shared, the Sox have nobody in the top 120 in exit velocity.  That seems odd.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:59 am

Sorry about your dad Jay.

I'm flummoxed by all of these modern stats that don't really mean anything. Does "exit velocity" mean anything when the batter flies out? How about a "hard hit ball"? Meaningless if the batter makes an out. The object of the game is to score more runs than your opponent in order to win the game. Who really gives a crap about "exit velocity" of a ground ball that results in a double play?
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:29 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:This looks pretty cool.
    https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard
    Thanks for the link, Rob.  It is pretty cool and it's a little weird.  Yeah, no Sox players but if I pull up the numbers for teams as a whole, the Sox are second highest.  Not sure how that can be without a single Sox listed in the top 121 players.

I had seen some of Roger's and Kark's interactions when it was just the two of them on the board.  Roger obviously had a special interest in the more nuanced stats of the game and he had a willing responder in Kark.  My hats off to Roger for continually returning and treating Kark with respect and never receiving any in kind.  

Eventually, Roger had enough.  He lasted a lot longer than I would have predicted.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:59 am

alohafri wrote:Sorry about your dad Jay.

I'm flummoxed by all of these modern stats that don't really mean anything. Does "exit velocity" mean anything when the batter flies out? How about a "hard hit ball"? Meaningless if the batter makes an out. The object of the game is to score more runs than your opponent in order to win the game. Who really gives a crap about "exit velocity" of a ground ball that results in a double play?
    In part I agree and by no means do I think it's a flawless stat.  As an additional example where it's flawed is the player who hits into a shift and makes a hard hit out gets a better stat then the player who goes the other way and gets a softer hit single.  

But I can still see value.  For example, as a pitcher begins to tire, I wonder if the EV allowed starts creeping up.  Is this a stat that managers and coaches could use to take out a pitcher before run scoring occurs?  Or, maybe let a pitcher stay in the game longer if the EV is remaining slow?

But overall I'm with you with all the new aged nuanced stat.  To understand them and follow them becomes a second job.  Like WAR.  I haven't looked it up but do the players on the team with the most wins at the end of the season have the best WAR?  At the end of the season, does the overall WAR for all the players equal the wins for that team for the year?  I'm just not into the game that much and I'd rather watch blissfully unaware of these "facts".
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:14 pm

jaywit wrote:
    alohafri wrote:Sorry about your dad Jay.

In part I agree and by no means do I think it's a flawless stat.  As an additional example where it's flawed is the player who hits into a shift and makes a hard hit out gets a better stat then the player who goes the other way and gets a softer hit single.  

But I can still see value.  For example, as a pitcher begins to tire, I wonder if the EV allowed starts creeping up.  Is this a stat that managers and coaches could use to take out a pitcher before run scoring occurs?  Or, maybe let a pitcher stay in the game longer if the EV is remaining slow?

But overall I'm with you with all the new aged nuanced stat.  To understand them and follow them becomes a second job.  Like WAR.  I haven't looked it up but do the players on the team with the most wins at the end of the season have the best WAR?  At the end of the season, does the overall WAR for all the players equal the wins for that team for the year?  I'm just not into the game that much and I'd rather watch blissfully unaware of these "facts".

I would imagine you'd find a clearly proportional relationship between average exit velocity and batting avg.  Not sure if the same would apply to power numbers, since exit velocity could be ground balls and line drives, which will never result in much more than singles and a few doubles here and there.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:09 pm

Sorry about your dad Jay, Glad he was able to live a long life and with his mental capacity intact. 

I have another new statistic for you, kinda similar to exit velocity. Well, not really new, in fact, I'm sure your dad would have heard about this one ... I don't have a reference article for you, but I think you're bright enough to understand 

Here it goes 

THe harder you hit the ball - the faster it will go, the farther it will go, and the harder it will be to catch.... 

few, sabermetrics are hard
    joepoe
    joepoe
    Not a Fanboy

Post by joepoe Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:08 am

I suppose a stat for the top exit velocity players would be like a stat for top pitch velocity or a stat for speed to first base, interesting but not as telling as the more mainstream stats

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:12 pm