Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

3 posters

Baseball's Back

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Baseball's Back Empty Baseball's Back

Post by blondy28 Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:19 am

So there's that.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Baseball's Back Empty Re: Baseball's Back

Post by alohafri Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:41 am

blondy28 wrote:So there's that.

I'm glad we can agree on something.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:47 am

alohafri wrote:

My guess is that the only thing baseball related that we can agree on is that it's is back.  Just wait until I start complaining about the DH in the NL.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:08 am

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

My guess is that the only thing baseball related that we can agree on is that it's is back.  Just wait until I start complaining about the DH in the NL.

That is a debate I welcome! Smile
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:01 am

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

My take on this topic has only been that the MLB needed to be uniform and go to either full DH or full pitchers' hitting.  I'd live with either, but it's been pure idiocy to have both.  AL teams build their roster around a DH big hitter in the middle of their lineup often times, while NL teams just plug in a decent hitter.  It means that AL teams have a notable advantage in AL parks since they have a guy dedicated to that position in most cases, and NL teams an advantage in NL parks since the AL team has to leave out their best hitter in some cases.  

At this point, they use a DH at every level beginning even in travel baseball, in high school, in college, and all through the minors.  Most pitchers stop hitting in high school or college and then if they're good enough to pitch at the MLB level, they need to relearn how to hit.  It's kind of silly.  Either make the DH spot "a thing" and get done with pitchers having to hit, or ditch the DH and tell the pitcher he has to learn how to hit.  

My kid was pitcher and a good hitter and any team would have loved to have him bat, but he was spending so much time on his pitching that he was just not keeping up with the hitting practice and then by the end of his junior year in high school I could see his hitting really beginning to wane.  I would have become an almost full time job to be able to still know how to hit while trying to be a good pitcher.  I was sad at first when he chose to be a pitcher only, but it ended up being a nice thing when his focus was able to just be on pitching and it made him a better pitcher.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:39 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

My take on this topic has only been that the MLB needed to be uniform and go to either full DH or full pitchers' hitting.  I'd live with either, but it's been pure idiocy to have both.  AL teams build their roster around a DH big hitter in the middle of their lineup often times, while NL teams just plug in a decent hitter.  It means that AL teams have a notable advantage in AL parks since they have a guy dedicated to that position in most cases, and NL teams an advantage in NL parks since the AL team has to leave out their best hitter in some cases.  

At this point, they use a DH at every level beginning even in travel baseball, in high school, in college, and all through the minors.  Most pitchers stop hitting in high school or college and then if they're good enough to pitch at the MLB level, they need to relearn how to hit.  It's kind of silly.  Either make the DH spot "a thing" and get done with pitchers having to hit, or ditch the DH and tell the pitcher he has to learn how to hit.  

My kid was pitcher and a good hitter and any team would have loved to have him bat, but he was spending so much time on his pitching that he was just not keeping up with the hitting practice and then by the end of his junior year in high school I could see his hitting really beginning to wane.  I would have become an almost full time job to be able to still know how to hit while trying to be a good pitcher.  I was sad at first when he chose to be a pitcher only, but it ended up being a nice thing when his focus was able to just be on pitching and it made him a better pitcher.

Is this actually true?  I mean, you can't really look at interleague play necessarily, because a good team is going to beat a bad team, for the most part.  But theoretically, the World Series should be the two best teams in either league (or maybe the hottest).  The Cubs only won 1 game at Wrigley, where they would supposedly have the advantage, and they won 3 in Cleveland, where Cleveland would supposedly have the advantage.  While, yes, one might argue that by activating Schwarber for the World Series, the Cubs were, essentially, made up as an AL team with a DH, but that only explains why they would win in Cleveland, not why they would lose at home, where they're supposed to have the advantage.  And yes, I know that's only one series, but it's the one I'm most familiar with.  Certainly the DH had nothing to do with why the Red Sox and White Sox swept in two consecutive years.  I think for the more lopsided series, you can point to one team being just better, so look at the close series.  The 4-3 or 4-2.  None of recent memory, IMO, came down to the DH.  My son and I were just talking about the format for the finals in basketball, and I always said that the 2-3-2 format gave an advantage to the team without home court advantage because if you assume that each team wins on their home court, then the team with the worse record would be up in the series, which could give them momentum...they'd just need to win one more game...but it doesn't play out that way.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:58 am

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Is this actually true?  I mean, you can't really look at interleague play necessarily, because a good team is going to beat a bad team, for the most part.  But theoretically, the World Series should be the two best teams in either league (or maybe the hottest).  The Cubs only won 1 game at Wrigley, where they would supposedly have the advantage, and they won 3 in Cleveland, where Cleveland would supposedly have the advantage.  While, yes, one might argue that by activating Schwarber for the World Series, the Cubs were, essentially, made up as an AL team with a DH, but that only explains why they would win in Cleveland, not why they would lose at home, where they're supposed to have the advantage.  And yes, I know that's only one series, but it's the one I'm most familiar with.  Certainly the DH had nothing to do with why the Red Sox and White Sox swept in two consecutive years.  I think for the more lopsided series, you can point to one team being just better, so look at the close series.  The 4-3 or 4-2.  None of recent memory, IMO, came down to the DH.  My son and I were just talking about the format for the finals in basketball, and I always said that the 2-3-2 format gave an advantage to the team without home court advantage because if you assume that each team wins on their home court, then the team with the worse record would be up in the series, which could give them momentum...they'd just need to win one more game...but it doesn't play out that way.

I'm sure it's not always the absolute case.  Some AL teams don't have shit in their DH spot.  Some NL teams have a good DH type on their bench who can't find a defensive spot in their lineup (think Schwarber, for example).  I just think it's kind of dumb to have a series where in three or four games one of the teams might not have a way to play their best hitter, who might be a guy around whom their entire offense revolves.  Or have one team be given a DH for a few games and they plug in some backup OF who has a decent bat and hope to get some production out of that spot.  I prefer to just see consistency across the two leagues and then let both leagues go out and build their team based upon that decided-upon guideline.  I find it boring to watch pitchers come up and piss all over themselves in the batter's box, but I respect the NL fan opinion that it's a strategic thing and respect the general opinion that the game is a two way street (hitting and defense).  I just kind of figure that if every level of baseball, starting at about 15 year old travel ball, allows for a DH and that about 95% of pitchers no longer hit by the time the reach college baseball, it seems excessively silly to make them relearn hitting at the MLB level.  Imagine not even practicing hitting for 4 or 5 yrs after using aluminum all of your life, and now you have to relearn hitting with a wood bat versus pitchers that are 100 times better than any of the goofs you faced in high school or travel ball.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:13 am

They use the DH at every level of professional baseball.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:35 pm

alohafri wrote:They use the DH at every level of professional baseball.

And in college.
    And in high school.
    And in travel baseball at the higher levels.

alohafri likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:36 pm