Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

A Liberal View

alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

A Liberal View Empty A Liberal View

Post by alohafri Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:03 pm

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

A Liberal View Empty Re: A Liberal View

Post by blondy28 Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:31 pm

I saw that article this week.  This jumped out at me:

To add to her merits, Barrett is a sincere, lovely person. I never heard her utter a word that wasn’t thoughtful and kind — including in the heat of real disagreement about important subjects. 

Would have gone a long way if she had refused to be part of the dog and pony show until RBG was buried.  You know...she could have released a statement like "It's because of the life's work of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg that I am even in the position to sit on the nation's highest court, and in deference to her and her legacy, I will respectfully postpone my formal acceptance of President Trump's nomination until after Justice Ginsburg burial." In Trump's Republican Party, you are either country over party, or ego over country.  She may be "lovely", but I have relegated her to the bad camp.  And she, Kavanaugh, and Roberts were on the legal team that resulted in George W. Bush being appointed president, so I have no doubt she will do exactly what Trump has said she is being appointed to do...give him the presidency.

In a month or two, I will lose my healthcare, as will my kids, who are only on our policy because of the ACA (although if we could get coverage for them, it would be too expensive), although with Trump's installation a foregone conclusion, I've been planning my exit strategy.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:21 pm

I'm inclined to avoid allowing myself to become hysterical about her joining SCOTUS.  It's likely going to happen and I'm not going to lower myself to screaming and crying about it.  I suspect that she's going to seem fine in her hearings, and I figure a few Dems and a few Repubs will embarrass themselves making too much of a spectacle out of the whole thing.  

That said, my only concern about her on religious grounds is that she's said to belong to a sect of the Catholic religion that believes women are subservient to men, or that wives are subservient to their husbands.  I'm not even sure if that alleged affiliation is true, but it's something I've seen brought up a few times.  And honestly, I don't even care if she has an affiliation with a group that thinks that, as long as that personally held belief doesn't cross streams with her judicial views of personal and civil rights in this country.  It seems hard to understand how someone would be able to think women are subservient while also protecting the rights of women in court cases, but I don't think it's impossible.  Maybe she's figured out how to separate the two.  

If her view of abortion is different from mine, that's fine.  The only way R v W is going away is if they can make a clear case that a fetus is a person with rights on an equal level with a living, walking, talking mother.  Short of that, it's probably not going away.  R v W stands on our right of privacy.  That right isn't going away, so the only way abortion is made illegal is if the right of a fetus is found to be on equal grounds with mom, and that's hard to imagine happening.  I mean, if a pro-life person has to choose to either stop 5 or 10 abortions from happening OR save a 20 yr old girl from a burning building, I think 99 out of 100 are choosing the woman in the burning building because they realize that a fetus is something less than a 20 yr old girl.  And that, I believe, is what'll ultimately keep R v W from going away.  And while I find abortion to be immoral and a terrible choice, considering the other options out there, I don't see how a legal argument will ever be made that overturns it completely because the mom's rights will generally outrank the fetus' rights.  Perhaps I'm just naïve as fuck.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Here's an interesting thing that I heard brought up over the weekend. If Barrett is put onto the Supreme Court before the election, that would give the conservatives a majority for the foreseeable future. Theoretically, the Court will rule in favor of conservative policies (although even Trump's appointees have ruled against him already, giving credence to my thought that justices listen to each other and are much less ideological than people claim they are). That makes Trump expendable. Face it. Trump is NOT a conservative. He is NOT a Republican. If anything, he is an economic liberal of the worst kind. The thought is that many Republicans, at least the true conservatives will, maybe quietly, turn their backs on him and vote for Biden, knowing how Trump is destroying the economy of the nation. 

According to Michael Steele, 4 TRILLION dollar deficit, not debt, but deficit, thanks to his handouts and tax breaks.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:20 pm

alohafri wrote:Here's an interesting thing that I heard brought up over the weekend. If Barrett is put onto the Supreme Court before the election, that would give the conservatives a majority for the foreseeable future. Theoretically, the Court will rule in favor of conservative policies (although even Trump's appointees have ruled against him already, giving credence to my thought that justices listen to each other and are much less ideological than people claim they are). That makes Trump expendable. Face it. Trump is NOT a conservative. He is NOT a Republican. If anything, he is an economic liberal of the worst kind. The thought is that many Republicans, at least the true conservatives will, maybe quietly, turn their backs on him and vote for Biden, knowing how Trump is destroying the economy of the nation. 

According to Michael Steele, 4 TRILLION dollar deficit, not debt, but deficit, thanks to his handouts and tax breaks.

It's definitely about 4 trillion.  It was going to be 1 trillion and then they did 3 trillion more in stimulus.  

I think the GOP wants Trump to win because they sense that they're about the lose the senate, potentially.  If they lose the senate, I have a sense that Dems might go nuclear and do some drastic things.  The GOP doesn't want to see a Dem win president unless they at least have the House or the Senate, or both.  If all three chambers go blue, I expect some of the following may occur:
    1. Dems say "fuck it" and we're getting rid of the filibuster because democracy is at stake.  
    2. Dems use that power to convert DC to a state.  Two more Dems in the senate.
    3. Dems use that power to try convincing Puerto Rico to consider and move on US statehood under the belief that they could perhaps get a couple more blue senators.  Not sure that's a smart assumption, but initially....maybe.  
    4. Dems use that power to shore up ACA, or possibly sensing ACA is going away via a SCOTUS decision, they create a public option situation whereby people can buy into Medicare for an affordable amount that grants credits to people with low income (i.e. ACA credits).  This resolves the pre-existing conditions issue once and for all by allowing us to buy into the national group policy.  
    5. Dems use that power to lower Medicare age to 55.  This would be shocking at first, but it would benefit folks who are most likely to vote Republican so it reduces the amount of noise and arguments against it, because let's face it....if a 56 yr old can suddenly get Medicare for no $$ out of pocket, he'll recover quickly from any blow to his political ideology.
    6. Dems begin talking to political powers in CA and pushing for them to expand to 5 or 6 states.  I mean, why not?  Shouldn't a state with 40 million people...the 5th biggest economy in the world, have more than 2 senators?  They have so many different socio-economic areas and sub-economies that splitting up makes sense.  
    7. Packing the SCOTUS with a couple more justices.  I can't imagine this, but some in the know say it's far more likely to be attempted than I'm granting.  

I ain't saying any of this WILL occur, but I think some will be attempted and/or successful.  I think the Dems are getting to a point where they are seeing the writing on the wall.  We're a nation of minority rule.  Presidents are elected with a minority.  The 53 seat current senate majority is representative of about 45% of our population, and that majority, which is really a minority, is responsible in the last few years for what will be a 6-3 majority on the Court, even though it was put there by a senate that is a minority representation of the population.  Pro-choice is a majority position.  Gun regs is a majority position.  And yet, abortion rights are at risk to some degree while nobody will even consider gun regs.  Shit, for several years, the House was red, but was getting more votes for Dems due to gerrymandering.  Even now, the Dems need about a 5% edge in votes to hold their House majority.  Much of this minority rule is due to the granting of equal power to states via the senate, even though states are drawn completely arbitrarily.  It's kind of crazy that California and its 40 million people get two senators, while 23 states with a combined 40 million people get 46 senators.  That's just too lopsided to be called fair, and I suspect Dems are beginning to see this.  Then again, maybe I'm wrong.  LOL.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:45 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:Here's an interesting thing that I heard brought up over the weekend. If Barrett is put onto the Supreme Court before the election, that would give the conservatives a majority for the foreseeable future. Theoretically, the Court will rule in favor of conservative policies (although even Trump's appointees have ruled against him already, giving credence to my thought that justices listen to each other and are much less ideological than people claim they are). That makes Trump expendable. Face it. Trump is NOT a conservative. He is NOT a Republican. If anything, he is an economic liberal of the worst kind. The thought is that many Republicans, at least the true conservatives will, maybe quietly, turn their backs on him and vote for Biden, knowing how Trump is destroying the economy of the nation. 

It's definitely about 4 trillion.  It was going to be 1 trillion and then they did 3 trillion more in stimulus.  

I think the GOP wants Trump to win because they sense that they're about the lose the senate, potentially.  If they lose the senate, I have a sense that Dems might go nuclear and do some drastic things.  The GOP doesn't want to see a Dem win president unless they at least have the House or the Senate, or both.  If all three chambers go blue, I expect some of the following may occur:
    1. Dems say "fuck it" and we're getting rid of the filibuster because democracy is at stake.  
    3. Dems use that power to try convincing Puerto Rico to consider and move on US statehood under the belief that they could perhaps get a couple more blue senators.  Not sure that's a smart assumption, but initially....maybe.  
    4. Dems use that power to shore up ACA, or possibly sensing ACA is going away via a SCOTUS decision, they create a public option situation whereby people can buy into Medicare for an affordable amount that grants credits to people with low income (i.e. ACA credits).  This resolves the pre-existing conditions issue once and for all by allowing us to buy into the national group policy.  
    5. Dems use that power to lower Medicare age to 55.  This would be shocking at first, but it would benefit folks who are most likely to vote Republican so it reduces the amount of noise and arguments against it, because let's face it....if a 56 yr old can suddenly get Medicare for no $$ out of pocket, he'll recover quickly from any blow to his political ideology.
    6. Dems begin talking to political powers in CA and pushing for them to expand to 5 or 6 states.  I mean, why not?  Shouldn't a state with 40 million people...the 5th biggest economy in the world, have more than 2 senators?  They have so many different socio-economic areas and sub-economies that splitting up makes sense.  
    7. Packing the SCOTUS with a couple more justices.  I can't imagine this, but some in the know say it's far more likely to be attempted than I'm granting.  

I ain't saying any of this WILL occur, but I think some will be attempted and/or successful.  I think the Dems are getting to a point where they are seeing the writing on the wall.  We're a nation of minority rule.  Presidents are elected with a minority.  The 53 seat current senate majority is representative of about 45% of our population, and that majority, which is really a minority, is responsible in the last few years for what will be a 6-3 majority on the Court, even though it was put there by a senate that is a minority representation of the population.  Pro-choice is a majority position.  Gun regs is a majority position.  And yet, abortion rights are at risk to some degree while nobody will even consider gun regs.  Shit, for several years, the House was red, but was getting more votes for Dems due to gerrymandering.  Even now, the Dems need about a 5% edge in votes to hold their House majority.  Much of this minority rule is due to the granting of equal power to states via the senate, even though states are drawn completely arbitrarily.  It's kind of crazy that California and its 40 million people get two senators, while 23 states with a combined 40 million people get 46 senators.  That's just too lopsided to be called fair, and I suspect Dems are beginning to see this.  Then again, maybe I'm wrong.  LOL.

Thats all great .. and I truly hope they do every single thing you wrote .. but first, tell me how they are going to get Trump out of the WH , even if he loses?  I'm sure you've seen the Atlantic article where trump and his friends are working on having electoral colleges vote against their states popular vote (which I believe the scotus already said was constitutional). and how do he dems win a SCOTUS decision on who won?  They already lost once in 2000, whats to prevent another loss? 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:03 pm

sharpy wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Thats all great .. and I truly hope they do every single thing you wrote .. but first, tell me how they are going to get Trump out of the WH , even if he loses?  I'm sure you've seen the Atlantic article where trump and his friends are working on having electoral colleges vote against their states popular vote (which I believe the scotus already said was constitutional). and how do he dems win a SCOTUS decision on who won?  They already lost once in 2000, whats to prevent another loss? 

Tim, I can't speak to that.  I have no control over that.  I can only read and interpret polling data and then assume it'll all work out.  You make a fair point and we're both in fear of the same things.  I have to assume that if Biden wins by a comfortable margin, then there'll be no particularly obvious way to push this to the SCOTUS for a decision unless a few states are gutsy enough to appoint special electors to override the will of the people of those states.  But bear in mind that if they do that, they will know it will result in rioting, violence and probably all kinds of fires and crazy shit.  Those Repubs in swing states will have to deal with the residents of those states, who will feel wronged by their electors after they went out and duly elected a different person in their state.  

Ordinarily, I'd chalk you up as being overly alarmist on this just yet, but I'm not sure you are.  you'll notice that there are almost NO Repubs out there stating in plain words that if Biden is chosen the by the people in this election to serve as president, then he'll serve.  You don't even hear this from guys like Romney or anyone that's a bit on the more sensible side.  That leads me to believe they are all in the know about a plan to try to defy the election results.  My belief is that they'll only try bucking the final results if they are close.  Like, if Biden wins PA by 1%, they potentially say "people are saying" that there was mass fraud, and a 1% victory isn't decisive enough to award it to Biden.  If he wins swing states by 3-5%, it's going to be hard to make such a claim with a straight face.  

The pathetic thing is that we're even having this conversation.  the fact that we are, however, is a reminder that our constitution is a bit overrated if there is potential for a guy to win an election by 7-8% and still have to fight for the victory in SCOTUS while fearing they might rule in Trump's favor in such a situation.  I can say with certainty that if such a thing occurred (Trump being awarded the presidency while clearly losing), I'd never stand or take off my hat for another anthem for as long as I live.  not only that, there'd be such significant protest that I suspect that the country would come to a halt.  For a while, anyway, I think the nation would cease to function.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:09 pm

sharpy wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

This is exactly what I think Trump & Co. plan to do...WITHOUT QUESTION.  They first have to see delays on counting ballots, just like we saw in Florida.  Then they cause a ruckus, making it difficult to count, so naturally it takes longer.  They, while Trump is up in the count, they will pass a law that they are stopping the counting and they will make Trump president through those states' legislatures.   As I've been saying, don't make a plan to vote...plan an exit strategy.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:11 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I'm inclined to avoid allowing myself to become hysterical about her joining SCOTUS.  It's likely going to happen and I'm not going to lower myself to screaming and crying about it.  I suspect that she's going to seem fine in her hearings, and I figure a few Dems and a few Repubs will embarrass themselves making too much of a spectacle out of the whole thing.  

That said, my only concern about her on religious grounds is that she's said to belong to a sect of the Catholic religion that believes women are subservient to men, or that wives are subservient to their husbands.  I'm not even sure if that alleged affiliation is true, but it's something I've seen brought up a few times.  And honestly, I don't even care if she has an affiliation with a group that thinks that, as long as that personally held belief doesn't cross streams with her judicial views of personal and civil rights in this country.  It seems hard to understand how someone would be able to think women are subservient while also protecting the rights of women in court cases, but I don't think it's impossible.  Maybe she's figured out how to separate the two.  

If her view of abortion is different from mine, that's fine.  The only way R v W is going away is if they can make a clear case that a fetus is a person with rights on an equal level with a living, walking, talking mother.  Short of that, it's probably not going away.  R v W stands on our right of privacy.  That right isn't going away, so the only way abortion is made illegal is if the right of a fetus is found to be on equal grounds with mom, and that's hard to imagine happening.  I mean, if a pro-life person has to choose to either stop 5 or 10 abortions from happening OR save a 20 yr old girl from a burning building, I think 99 out of 100 are choosing the woman in the burning building because they realize that a fetus is something less than a 20 yr old girl.  And that, I believe, is what'll ultimately keep R v W from going away.  And while I find abortion to be immoral and a terrible choice, considering the other options out there, I don't see how a legal argument will ever be made that overturns it completely because the mom's rights will generally outrank the fetus' rights.  Perhaps I'm just naïve as fuck.

During the Kavanaugh hearings, the dems were pretty professional, except possibly Hirano from Hawaii.  They were just asking questions.  I've never seen Harris act anything but professional in a hearing, and I expect the same from here on the American Sharia Law nominee.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:06 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:I'm inclined to avoid allowing myself to become hysterical about her joining SCOTUS.  It's likely going to happen and I'm not going to lower myself to screaming and crying about it.  I suspect that she's going to seem fine in her hearings, and I figure a few Dems and a few Repubs will embarrass themselves making too much of a spectacle out of the whole thing.  

During the Kavanaugh hearings, the dems were pretty professional, except possibly Hirano from Hawaii.  They were just asking questions.  I've never seen Harris act anything but professional in a hearing, and I expect the same from here on the American Sharia Law nominee.

I don't really disagree, Pam.  I'm talking about Dems and Repubs who will embarrass themselves who aren't necessarily on the hearing committee.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:10 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    sharpy wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

This is exactly what I think Trump & Co. plan to do...WITHOUT QUESTION.  They first have to see delays on counting ballots, just like we saw in Florida.  Then they cause a ruckus, making it difficult to count, so naturally it takes longer.  They, while Trump is up in the count, they will pass a law that they are stopping the counting and they will make Trump president through those states' legislatures.   As I've been saying, don't make a plan to vote...plan an exit strategy.

This might all occur, but if it does there is going to be a lot of shit hitting the fan and I suspect the GOP will rue the day they played along with this kind of charade.  This will create a situation of mass violence.  There'll be a lot of fires, shooting, rioting, etc.  It'd basically be the overturning of our government in one fell swoop.  And yes, I realize you're saying that's exactly what they'll do.  I think Trump would be fine with it, but I'm not convinced that the entire GOP is ok with it.  And if they are, they'll immediately all need full time security because folks be crazy, and there'll be folks walking around with guns and saying we're in a revolution.  While I think there are a few crackpot Repubs that might go along with this shit, I don't know that enough would do it for it to all work.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:53 am

See, this all smacks of the politics of revenge to me. This shit has to end somewhere. Who is going to be US Grant and say "The war is over. The rebels are our countrymen again"?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:00 am

alohafri wrote:See, this all smacks of the politics of revenge to me. This shit has to end somewhere. Who is going to be US Grant and say "The war is over. The rebels are our countrymen again"?

I don't know, Kevin.  I don't think it's coming anytime soon.  If there's a Biden win and the senate is won, maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Blues are gonna burn down some norms of their own and create some new ones, even if it comes back to bite them.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:See, this all smacks of the politics of revenge to me. This shit has to end somewhere. Who is going to be US Grant and say "The war is over. The rebels are our countrymen again"?

I don't know, Kevin.  I don't think it's coming anytime soon.  If there's a Biden win and the senate is won, maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Blues are gonna burn down some norms of their own and create some new ones, even if it comes back to bite them.

Americans need to get tired of sitting in the front row at center court watching a tennis match, watching the ball being smacked back and forth at a higher speed than the last volley.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Americans need to get tired of sitting in the front row at center court watching a tennis match, watching the ball being smacked back and forth at a higher speed than the last volley.

seems that a lot of this shit has evolved with the evolution of the professional politician, who is also a millionaire. They are all millionaires, and even if not when first elected, they see they can become one so do anything to stay in office. Then they evolve into nothing more than wordsmiths, who lose touch with normal middle class people, and in reality, may not even care about middle class people anymore. Republicans bitching about an AOC $250 haircut is ridiculous, but when AOC was one of "us", was she even thinking about $250 haircuts? And now, is she starting to think - "I like $250 haircuts. How do I keep them babies coming?"... well you know how - become a professional politician 
    so - either get rid of this bullshit and make it 2 terms and your gone, 6 terms for house reps (both 12 years) or - get rid of ALL PAC money and make them live on $50-100K a year so that sitting there doesn't look so attractive.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:13 pm

sharpy wrote:Americans need to get tired of sitting in the front row at center court watching a tennis match, watching the ball being smacked back and forth at a higher speed than the last volley.

seems that a lot of this shit has evolved with the evolution of the professional politician, who is also a millionaire. They are all millionaires, and even if not when first elected, they see they can become one so do anything to stay in office. Then they evolve into nothing more than wordsmiths, who lose touch with normal middle class people, and in reality, may not even care about middle class people anymore. Republicans bitching about an AOC $250 haircut is ridiculous, but when AOC was one of "us", was she even thinking about $250 haircuts? And now, is she starting to think - "I like $250 haircuts. How do I keep them babies coming?"... well you know how - become a professional politician 
    so - either get rid of this bullshit and make it 2 terms and your gone, 6 terms for house reps (both 12 years) or - get rid of ALL PAC money and make them live on $50-100K a year so that sitting there doesn't look so attractive.

I'd get rid of PAC money first. That will drive away anyone who thinks they can make a fortune serving in the government. Hell, my government position pays me zilch. I occasionally get a shirt from the national park district organization.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:50 pm

I'm a little lost.  What smacks of the politics of revenge?  Maybe it's because I'm on the left, but I've seen the Republicans kicking us in the nuts, and us ALWAYS trying to be the bigger man.  I was no fan of John Kerry, but the bullshit they pulled out about his military service.  And outing a CIA agent because her husband wasn't pro-Iraq war? Then Obama vs. McCain.  The Republicans were so bad that John McCain finally had to step in to stop the racist narrative, and Sarah Palin was upset that there wasn't enough "red meat" for the base.  Then Obama is elected, and he thinks he's going to reach across the aisle, but the GOP decides that they will run the country off into the ditch to try to make him a one-term president.  First up is the stimulus, and there was negotiation, and Obama changes the original bill to give them some of what he asked for, and then they didn't vote for it.  Same shit with ACA.  They took out the end-of-life coverage (death panels!) and public option, then another kick to the nuts.  Fast forward to Scalia, and Obama chooses a moderate, and McConnell proceeds to fuck him over again.  And now there's Trump, who betrayed the country because he has too much debt and nobody will loan him money anymore.  Sorry, but there's payback coming, and rightfully so.  Not for the sake of it, but if the only way that we recover what they fucked us out of is to increase the size of the supreme court, then so be it.  There are 200,000 people dead, lives ruined, and if they can actually maneuver this election so that Trump and Bill Barr and McConnell don't steal it in the courts, then we all deserve to get back what was stolen from us.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:53 pm

alohafri wrote:
    sharpy wrote:Americans need to get tired of sitting in the front row at center court watching a tennis match, watching the ball being smacked back and forth at a higher speed than the last volley.

I'd get rid of PAC money first. That will drive away anyone who thinks they can make a fortune serving in the government. Hell, my government position pays me zilch. I occasionally get a shirt from the national park district organization.

How do you get rid of the PAC money?  Anything that limits money will end up in the supreme court, and the conservative court will overturn all of it.  

And, do any of you really know what a haircut costs?  I get my hair done once a year when we get our tax refund.  The last time I walked into a salon was June 2019.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:04 am

blondy28 wrote:

I'm a little lost.  What smacks of the politics of revenge?  Maybe it's because I'm on the left, but I've seen the Republicans kicking us in the nuts, and us ALWAYS trying to be the bigger man.  I was no fan of John Kerry, but the bullshit they pulled out about his military service.  And outing a CIA agent because her husband wasn't pro-Iraq war? Then Obama vs. McCain.  The Republicans were so bad that John McCain finally had to step in to stop the racist narrative, and Sarah Palin was upset that there wasn't enough "red meat" for the base.  Then Obama is elected, and he thinks he's going to reach across the aisle, but the GOP decides that they will run the country off into the ditch to try to make him a one-term president.  First up is the stimulus, and there was negotiation, and Obama changes the original bill to give them some of what he asked for, and then they didn't vote for it.  Same shit with ACA.  They took out the end-of-life coverage (death panels!) and public option, then another kick to the nuts.  Fast forward to Scalia, and Obama chooses a moderate, and McConnell proceeds to fuck him over again.  And now there's Trump, who betrayed the country because he has too much debt and nobody will loan him money anymore.  Sorry, but there's payback coming, and rightfully so.  Not for the sake of it, but if the only way that we recover what they fucked us out of is to increase the size of the supreme court, then so be it.  There are 200,000 people dead, lives ruined, and if they can actually maneuver this election so that Trump and Bill Barr and McConnell don't steal it in the courts, then we all deserve to get back what was stolen from us.

Expanding the Court, adding Puerto Rico and DC as states, getting rid of the filibuster..."you fucked us, now we're going to fuck you so you can't regain power." Guess what "they" will regain power, and guess what, they are going to turn around and fuck "you " too. So don't get pissed off if I call everyone out on their cries of "payback". It's fucking bullshit and it needs to end.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:05 am

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

How do you get rid of the PAC money?  Anything that limits money will end up in the supreme court, and the conservative court will overturn all of it.  

And, do any of you really know what a haircut costs?  I get my hair done once a year when we get our tax refund.  The last time I walked into a salon was June 2019.

My haircuts cost me a dinner at Pepe's. Maybe you should find a new stylist.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:11 am

alohafri wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Expanding the Court, adding Puerto Rico and DC as states, getting rid of the filibuster..."you fucked us, now we're going to fuck you so you can't regain power." Guess what "they" will regain power, and guess what, they are going to turn around and fuck "you " too. So don't get pissed off if I call everyone out on their cries of "payback". It's fucking bullshit and it needs to end.

Well of course you're calling for it to end.  If it did, you're perfectly comfortable with the left being rat fucked and the end result being that your ideology prevails.  Something tells me that if it ended with us being a socialist nation, you'd think quite differently.  You said you wouldn't even vote for Bernie if he were the nominee, so I just can't see calling for a group hug.  You can call it "payback"...I call it justice.  The idea that "the country just needs to heal" that Ford started is bullshit.  Have a look at the number of indictments have come out of republican administrations.  There has to be consequences for your actions.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:19 am

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Well of course you're calling for it to end.  If it did, you're perfectly comfortable with the left being rat fucked and the end result being that your ideology prevails.  Something tells me that if it ended with us being a socialist nation, you'd think quite differently.  You said you wouldn't even vote for Bernie if he were the nominee, so I just can't see calling for a group hug.  You can call it "payback"...I call it justice.  The idea that "the country just needs to heal" that Ford started is bullshit.  Have a look at the number of indictments have come out of republican administrations.  There has to be consequences for your actions.

Yes. It would be different if it ended up as us being a socialist nation. Only a handful of lunatics want that. Only a handful of lunatics want a Nazi regime as well. Why do I deserve more venom from you than Kark ever did? You want to see wanting the left ratfucked? Go back and look at his posts over the years. He would have you brought to fucking gas chambers if he could. I'm not the "far righty" you think I am. But you are such a fucking commie that you consider Biden a Republican. 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:42 am

alohafri wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Your point is a good one, but here's the problem I see with it.  If the Dems decide they won't play that way, they'll just keep getting the proverbial stick in the eye from the other side.  GOP has shown they'll use their power to whatever extent it's legal to get the ends they desire.  If the Dems don't play by those same rules, then it will eventually catch up with them.  If SCOTUS continues down this road, they could get to a point where it's 8-1 or 9-0 and then they'll have an ideology on the Court that is completely out of step with the majority of the US population.  

And why shouldn't they give DC statehood?  Of all of the things, that's the thing I can see.  States are drawn arbitrarily.  If there can be two Dakotas with 4 GOP senators, then there can be a state called District of Columbia, or Washington DC.  

Dems are increasingly seeing certain writing on the wall.  We are a nation of minority rule.  If they don't take drastic action soon, it could get worse.  We have 53 red senators that represent what, 40-45% of our population, along with presidents who have minority support, determining justices that will decide our fate for another 30-40 yrs.  

If anything has shown itself to be true in the US in the past 10 yrs, it's that you do whatever the fuck you can get away with, and that politely living by social norms is no longer a thing unless you're a scared pussy.  I don't like this.  I like to at least believe I'm a polite person living by norms, but I see why Dems have reached this tipping point.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:29 am

alohafri wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Yes. It would be different if it ended up as us being a socialist nation. Only a handful of lunatics want that. Only a handful of lunatics want a Nazi regime as well. Why do I deserve more venom from you than Kark ever did? You want to see wanting the left ratfucked? Go back and look at his posts over the years. He would have you brought to fucking gas chambers if he could. I'm not the "far righty" you think I am. But you are such a fucking commie that you consider Biden a Republican. 

Well that escalated quickly.
    I can't speak for Pam/Blondy, but I've caught myself being harder on you than Kark a few times, but I think I understand why.  Kark strikes me as irredeemable and not worth the time, so I just make fun of him and let his blatant evil fly by.  I just don't think there's any point in treating him in anything but humor.  You, on the other hand, seem reasonable and thoughtful.  So when you say or write something that rubs me the wrong way, my sensibilities are more offended than when Kark does it.  I just chalk Kark up to insanity.  

Dealing with this shit in writing is tough.  I have no doubt in my mind...absolutely none, that you and Blondy could sit and have a 10 hr political conversation and it wouldn't involve any rancor.  It would be fun.  You'd laugh.  You'd agree.  You'd disagree.  And in the end you'd both have renewed respect for each other.  I know you and I could do the same thing.  I'd have no doubt.  We could even tread on our trickiest tempest...religion....and probably find common ground.  

I just can't help but think that when Blondy or I ride your ass a bit it's out of respect for the fact that we don't view you in the same shitty light we view Kark.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Only a handful of lunatics want a Nazi regime as well. 

Unfortunately Aloha, that handful is in position to do just that 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:35 pm