Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

ERA

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

ERA Empty ERA

Post by blondy28 Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:21 am

Once again, we're seeing how full of shit the Schmuck from St. Chuck has always been.  For decades he always adjusted NL pitchers' ERAs in comparisons with AL pitchers due to the DH.  Now that there's a DH in the NL, 6 of the top 7 ERAs are NL pitchers.  He'll say "small sample size"...because the Schmuck will never admit he was wrong.

<how do you like my Kark impression???>
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

ERA Empty Re: ERA

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:15 pm

I won't claim small sample size, but I never implied that a pitcher in the NL can't be better than a pitcher in the AL, or that several NL pitchers can't be better.  I just made the point, properly, that ERA's when facing pitchers, will need adjusting.  Not only did I make it, but Bill James did some analysis on it, and I believe Nate Silver did, too.  Can't recall what they came up with for their adjustment, but I believe it was .28 to .30.  

It's entirely possible that the ten best pitchers in baseball can be NL pitchers.  I'd just add that if those NL pitchers were facing pitchers this year, I'd suggest their era's would probably be another .3 lower than they currently are.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:34 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I won't claim small sample size, but I never implied that a pitcher in the NL can't be better than a pitcher in the AL, or that several NL pitchers can't be better.  I just made the point, properly, that ERA's when facing pitchers, will need adjusting.  Not only did I make it, but Bill James did some analysis on it, and I believe Nate Silver did, too.  Can't recall what they came up with for their adjustment, but I believe it was .28 to .30.  

It's entirely possible that the ten best pitchers in baseball can be NL pitchers.  I'd just add that if those NL pitchers were facing pitchers this year, I'd suggest their era's would probably be another .3 lower than they currently are.

I gotta say, that has not been the case for Yu Darvish, nor Trevor Bauer, two of the top 3 ERAs in baseball, both of whom have pitched in the AL.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:04 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:I won't claim small sample size, but I never implied that a pitcher in the NL can't be better than a pitcher in the AL, or that several NL pitchers can't be better.  I just made the point, properly, that ERA's when facing pitchers, will need adjusting.  Not only did I make it, but Bill James did some analysis on it, and I believe Nate Silver did, too.  Can't recall what they came up with for their adjustment, but I believe it was .28 to .30.  

I gotta say, that has not been the case for Yu Darvish, nor Trevor Bauer, two of the top 3 ERAs in baseball, both of whom have pitched in the AL.

Each year is a different year so it's hard to compare a pitcher from one league to the other.  I've seen oddball examples of plenty of guys who got better or worse when going from one league to the other.  The only argument I'm making is that pitching against pitchers, instead of a DH (facing a pitcher rather than facing Jose Abreu or James McCann) is going to lead to a slightly lower ERA at any given moment.  

I mean, are you honestly trying to make the case that it's no different to face a pitcher two times per game versus facing a DH twice?  No difference in run production?  I'm not even sure if you're being serious.  I'd think hypothetically that if you have your best stuff versus an NL lineup with a pitcher batting, or an AL lineup with an Abreu batting, you're going to have a differing results over the long haul.  That's just math.  That's not in any way me trying to pick on the NL.  I'd say the same thing if the AL had the pitcher batting and the NL had a DH.

All I'm really saying here is that if the top 5 ERA's are NL pitchers right now, then I think they'd even have better ERA's if they weren't facing a DH 4 times per game.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:18 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Each year is a different year so it's hard to compare a pitcher from one league to the other.  I've seen oddball examples of plenty of guys who got better or worse when going from one league to the other.  The only argument I'm making is that pitching against pitchers, instead of a DH (facing a pitcher rather than facing Jose Abreu or James McCann) is going to lead to a slightly lower ERA at any given moment.  

I mean, are you honestly trying to make the case that it's no different to face a pitcher two times per game versus facing a DH twice?  No difference in run production?  I'm not even sure if you're being serious.  I'd think hypothetically that if you have your best stuff versus an NL lineup with a pitcher batting, or an AL lineup with an Abreu batting, you're going to have a differing results over the long haul.  That's just math.  That's not in any way me trying to pick on the NL.  I'd say the same thing if the AL had the pitcher batting and the NL had a DH.

All I'm really saying here is that if the top 5 ERA's are NL pitchers right now, then I think they'd even have better ERA's if they weren't facing a DH 4 times per game.

Interesting tho that of the top pitching teams in baseball, 4 of 5 are in the AL . .and in hitting , 4 of the top 5 are in the NL .. 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 am

sharpy wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Interesting tho that of the top pitching teams in baseball, 4 of 5 are in the AL . .and in hitting , 4 of the top 5 are in the NL .. 

Yeah, it's a bit counter to the typical narrative, but things adjust.  Just because the AL was the hitting league 5-10 yrs ago doesn't need to mean it still is.  Maybe it's not anymore.  The other thing to bear in mind is that we only have a 1/3 of a regular season for a sample size so maybe it'd change if they played another 100 games...you know, the old reverting to the baseball card theory.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:00 pm

The other thing to bear in mind is that we only have a 1/3 of a regular season for a sample size so maybe it'd change if they played another 100 games...you know, the old reverting to the baseball card theory.

Not only that, but the teams are essentially playing the same competition over and over ... playing only about 1/3 of the teams they would be playing .
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:35 pm

sharpy wrote:The other thing to bear in mind is that we only have a 1/3 of a regular season for a sample size so maybe it'd change if they played another 100 games...you know, the old reverting to the baseball card theory.

Not only that, but the teams are essentially playing the same competition over and over ... playing only about 1/3 of the teams they would be playing .

Yeah, good point.  Ignoring 2/3 of all of MLB to continuously play 1/3.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:15 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    sharpy wrote:The other thing to bear in mind is that we only have a 1/3 of a regular season for a sample size so maybe it'd change if they played another 100 games...you know, the old reverting to the baseball card theory.

The playoffs, for what they are, could be interesting. Never having seen the team you are playing could help someone like Robert who is struggling because teams have made adjustments. He will be seeing teams he hasn't played yet. Sure, tape, but the game is played on the field. 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:33 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

The playoffs, for what they are, could be interesting. Never having seen the team you are playing could help someone like Robert who is struggling because teams have made adjustments. He will be seeing teams he hasn't played yet. Sure, tape, but the game is played on the field. 

Robert is so lost at the plate I can't even bear to watch him try hitting.  It's just awful right now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:48 pm