Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

Shut it Down

alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Shut it Down Empty Shut it Down

Post by alohafri Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:58 am

If true protocol is followed, the Marlins and the Phillies will have to quarantine for fourteen days. In this limited season, there is no way MLB will be able to have them make up these games. So, do the Marlins and Phillies play ten games fewer than everyone else or do they forfeit these games?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Shut it Down Empty Re: Shut it Down

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:17 am

How on earth are they going to get through this season?  Seems likely this thing is going to collapse under its own weight.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Liberal Wimps .. NEXT MAN STANDING .. bring up the minor leaguers and keep playing .. when they go down, bring up the A - ballers ..when they go down, bring up the local softball players .. we should play at the beaches, we should play in the streets, and the fields, and if this great sport is to be defeated, let it be so with the last benchwarmer on the ventilator in the nearest ICU ..  .. sorry, channeling my hidden Churchill 
    telefrank
    telefrank
    Not a Fanboy

Post by telefrank Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:44 pm

Well I'll be damned a baseball thread ! How'd that happen ? I have thoughts....

Anyway I think the season will not finish. It's just plain stupid to even try. They are throwing money away on all the new safety rules. I mean what does it cost just to test everyone and turn on the lights. Is Roger Bossard and his boys also tested? We are going to end up with teams patched together with what's left standing and some team who doesn't deserve it will be made the champ. I include the Sox in that as well. Over on Facebook I've taken to calling this the asterisk participation trophy season. I go by that thought. I love baseball but not this bullshit. I'm one of those who can fill my time and life without it. Unlike one knucklehead over at SFOD who lives with Mom. Has season tickets and then travels around the country not viewing the beautiful scenery or historic sites. No it's baseball parks, and hockey in season. He's just depressed as hell. Told him to get a hobby or read a book. There are many baseball books out there. Just pull the plug. Life's are more important than sports. Have to laugh at the NBA ads that make it sound like them playing willful all the wrongs in the world. NFL Lets see men tackling at each other with swat spit and blood flying. Sounds very healthy. Hockey about the same thing except on ice. 

Wear your mask, wash your hands and order carry out. 
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 pm

Too early to call it just yet .. just been the Marlins, and today, couple of Cardinals turned positive. It'll suck if they don't play, but if I was a player, on the verge of making generational money, would either not play, or hope like hell they call it off .. Don't think they will make it , but too early to call it yet .
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 pm

I can't help but to think they'd have been well served to try a few gimmicks this season, since this season is bullshit anyway.  They could have at least tried the automated home plate umpire, using the robot strike zone.  Let's see if it can even work.  Maybe it's a train wreck.  Maybe it's great.  And why not test the idea they had about letting a batter be a live runner on a passed ball/wild pitch?  I heard they were testing it in the minors somewhere where if a batter sees a passed ball or wild pitch, he can drop bat and leave the box and become a live baserunner if he wants.  I ain't saying it'll work.  Might be super dumb, but why not fuck around with it in this cluster season?  I know they're using the California rules for extra innings, which is along the same line as the point I'm making.  

Just saying it would have been a good season to try out some of the weirder ideas to see if any stick.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:29 pm

telefrank wrote:Well I'll be damned a baseball thread ! How'd that happen ? I have thoughts....

Anyway I think the season will not finish. It's just plain stupid to even try. They are throwing money away on all the new safety rules. I mean what does it cost just to test everyone and turn on the lights. Is Roger Bossard and his boys also tested? We are going to end up with teams patched together with what's left standing and some team who doesn't deserve it will be made the champ. I include the Sox in that as well. Over on Facebook I've taken to calling this the asterisk participation trophy season. I go by that thought. I love baseball but not this bullshit. I'm one of those who can fill my time and life without it. Unlike one knucklehead over at SFOD who lives with Mom. Has season tickets and then travels around the country not viewing the beautiful scenery or historic sites. No it's baseball parks, and hockey in season. He's just depressed as hell. Told him to get a hobby or read a book. There are many baseball books out there. Just pull the plug. Life's are more important than sports. Have to laugh at the NBA ads that make it sound like them playing willful all the wrongs in the world. NFL Lets see men tackling at each other with swat spit and blood flying. Sounds very healthy. Hockey about the same thing except on ice. 

Wear your mask, wash your hands and order carry out. 

cheers cheers cheers
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:02 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I can't help but to think they'd have been well served to try a few gimmicks this season, since this season is bullshit anyway.  They could have at least tried the automated home plate umpire, using the robot strike zone.  Let's see if it can even work.  Maybe it's a train wreck.  Maybe it's great.  And why not test the idea they had about letting a batter be a live runner on a passed ball/wild pitch?  I heard they were testing it in the minors somewhere where if a batter sees a passed ball or wild pitch, he can drop bat and leave the box and become a live baserunner if he wants.  I ain't saying it'll work.  Might be super dumb, but why not fuck around with it in this cluster season?  I know they're using the California rules for extra innings, which is along the same line as the point I'm making.  

Just saying it would have been a good season to try out some of the weirder ideas to see if any stick.
    Interesting thoughts, Rob.  Why not try the automated strike zone?  Eventually, it's going to come anyway.

Haven't seen an inning yet this year.  Are they doing the runner on 2nd in extra innings thing?  I despise the concept.

I hadn't heard of the batter opting to become a runner.  I'm not sure how many hitters will take the chance.  That's a split second decision and if the batter takes 1-2 steps then decides against, can he be tagged out?  Also, what hitter wants to give up their chance to swing the bat.  Every time I approached the plate, there was possible glory in that swing!  I recall many hits and many outs but I don't recall the walks.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:28 pm

jaywit wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:I can't help but to think they'd have been well served to try a few gimmicks this season, since this season is bullshit anyway.  They could have at least tried the automated home plate umpire, using the robot strike zone.  Let's see if it can even work.  Maybe it's a train wreck.  Maybe it's great.  And why not test the idea they had about letting a batter be a live runner on a passed ball/wild pitch?  I heard they were testing it in the minors somewhere where if a batter sees a passed ball or wild pitch, he can drop bat and leave the box and become a live baserunner if he wants.  I ain't saying it'll work.  Might be super dumb, but why not fuck around with it in this cluster season?  I know they're using the California rules for extra innings, which is along the same line as the point I'm making.  

Interesting thoughts, Rob.  Why not try the automated strike zone?  Eventually, it's going to come anyway.

Haven't seen an inning yet this year.  Are they doing the runner on 2nd in extra innings thing?  I despise the concept.

I hadn't heard of the batter opting to become a runner.  I'm not sure how many hitters will take the chance.  That's a split second decision and if the batter takes 1-2 steps then decides against, can he be tagged out?  Also, what hitter wants to give up their chance to swing the bat.  Every time I approached the plate, there was possible glory in that swing!  I recall many hits and many outs but I don't recall the walks.

I believe that the way I heard it was that if the batter left the box, he was a live runner.  I don't foresee many using it, but I can imagine a few instances, such as a curve hitting the front of the plate and bounding over the catcher's head.  I think maybe the whole idea here is to force pitchers and catchers to treat every pitch with care, as if there's a guy on base, rather than on an 0-2 pitch in the dirt with nobody on, the catcher will just swipe at it and let it fly away.  I'm not saying I want this or think it'll fly, but when I heard it was to be tested in A ball, I found myself interested in seeing it in force and seeing who tries it and how it goes.  

As for the California rules thing, I haven't seen it, but I believe I read that this is how they'll handle extras this season.  Maybe it's after a couple of normal extra innings and then in the 12th inning they switch to California rules.  And like you, I absolutely hate it...probably because I have a pitcher son and have watched him be on the wrong side of those situations.  In his travel tourneys, they would even send hitters to the plate with a 2-2 count, with a man on 2nd base.  Geez.  Throw 2 balls and there's another man on base.  My kid is a kid who never did a whole lot of pitching to contact.  Lots of fouls and swings and misses and strikeouts and walks.  Kids would foul him off until he threw a couple of balls in those situations.  You definitely need a command type of pitcher under those guidelines.  

Overall, I just think since this is a gimmick season, they ought to have tried a few new things to bring a few more viewers, and to test a few ideas to see if they can work in the longer run.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:02 pm