Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

+2
SoxIlliniRob
blondy28
6 posters

Arpaio Pardon

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Arpaio Pardon Empty Arpaio Pardon

Post by blondy28 Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:04 pm

First of a series, I'm sure.  Any doubt that the leaks about Trump researching whether or not he could pardon himself were true?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Arpaio Pardon Empty Re: Arpaio Pardon

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:18 pm

This is no surprise, and I've enjoyed seeing many conservatives coming unglued about it.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 am

This appears to be another step in the direction of Tim's and Cream's predictions, and my concerns in that we are not necessarily protected by the rule of law from rogue right wingers if this particular executive wants to pardon and excuse illegal behavior.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:00 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:This appears to be another step in the direction of Tim's and Cream's predictions, and my concerns in that we are not necessarily protected by the rule of law from rogue right wingers if this particular executive wants to pardon and excuse illegal behavior.
    Joe Fournier, political cartoonist in today's Trip.
    Trump holding Arpaio's head " this is one of my little supporters. Ran some sort of concentration type camps, may have inadvertently killed some people.
    But for others of my supporters who might want to talk about things like this -or possibly testify in Russia probe-

I have many of these little pardoning thingies 
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:12 pm

And the March to fascism continues.  What good are courts and the rule of law - ignored anyway. And now this piece of shit with his concentration camps (which is what he called them) is going to run for office 

Item 2 - trump and sessions have cleared the way for police to acquire military weapons and armor to have "just in case" ...in case of what? the white supremist uprising?....uh, doubt it. More like to keep the anti-fascists in their place --- but don't worry, we have the Constitution 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:07 pm

sharpy wrote:And the March to fascism continues.  What good are courts and the rule of law - ignored anyway. And now this piece of shit with his concentration camps (which is what he called them) is going to run for office 

Item 2 - trump and sessions have cleared the way for police to acquire military weapons and armor to have "just in case" ...in case of what? the white supremist uprising?....uh, doubt it. More like to keep the anti-fascists in their place --- but don't worry, we have the Constitution 

Is it any doubt that any convictions that possibly come from the Russian collusion investigations will be pardoned also?  Flynn?  Manafort?  They'll be pardoned.  
    Nomads44
    Nomads44
    Not a Fanboy

Post by Nomads44 Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:40 pm

The other side was upset about the pardons to 121 Gitmo detainees by the former president.  While perhaps they were here, I do not recall similar complaints about releasing these enemies of the state.

I think the hate being shown by each side is pitiful.  Bush was a failure, then Obama was a failure, now Trump is a failure.  Had Hilary won, she would be a failure. No matter who gets elected, the other side is going to hate them.  I thought this stuff was going to improve on this alternate site. Perhaps I need to be booted, too.  I let this bickering upset me too much.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Nomads44 wrote:The other side was upset about the pardons to 121 Gitmo detainees by the former president.  While perhaps they were here, I do not recall similar complaints about releasing these enemies of the state.

I think the hate being shown by each side is pitiful.  Bush was a failure, then Obama was a failure, now Trump is a failure.  Had Hilary won, she would be a failure. No matter who gets elected, the other side is going to hate them.  I thought this stuff was going to improve on this alternate site. Perhaps I need to be booted, too.  I let this bickering upset me too much.

This discussion isn't about Obama or GWB.  It's about the current president.  Nothing done by those presidents has anything to really do with whether this was acceptable or not.  Didn't GWB have a DUI 20 or 30 yrs ago?  Does that mean it's ok if I have a DUI?  No.  I don't think either Bush or Obama were failures.  That's a pretty strong word, even to use about Trump.  Objectively speaking, Trump is a complete moron, but even a moron might make a decision or two that helps the country now and then.  

None of what's going on on this board strikes me as bickering.  

Keep in mind that the 121 Gitmo detainees were not convicted criminals found guilty in a court of law.  Weren't most of them detained in Iraq?  Are we still at war with Iraq?  Do we hold prisoners of war indefinitely?  As for the Afghan detainees, maybe that's a different story.  They aren't exactly pardons if there are no charges or convictions against them.  Not saying you shouldn't still question Obama and his decision in his realm, but it's a different situation entirely.  
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:50 am

Nomads44 wrote:The other side was upset about the pardons to 121 Gitmo detainees by the former president.  While perhaps they were here, I do not recall similar complaints about releasing these enemies of the state.

Jim;

There really isn't much bickering here. There is none of the nasty name calling that led to the downfall of the other. (name calling here seems to be reserved for Mr. Trump).
    Actually, there has been concern expressed here for the ignoring of constitutional protections.
    Trump prodded Arpaio before he was even sentenced. That shows blatant disrespect for the judiciary (which has been a hallmark of his presidency - a Mexican judge (born in Indiana) shouldn't hear the case against Trump University because Trump wanted a wall; a judge in Seattle and in Hawaii who ruled against his Muslim ban was a"so called judge" who would be responsible if anything happened, and the 9th district federal appellate court should be broken up. 
    He forgets-the ONLY back up for the judiciary is the EXECUTIVE branch (headed by Mr. Trump).
    If Trump wanted to protect poor old Joe (who worked prisoners in 120 degree weather and made them sleep in tents in his _as he called it- his concentration camp, he should have waited until sentencing and then COMMUTE the sentence.
    Joe was first investigated by Bush and told to stop his practices (more than one prisoner died in his camp, including by dehydration. The Justice department ruled his office was the most racist in the country. A federal judge ordered him in 2011 to stop arresting people who appeared to be Hispanics to check their immigrations status -without any evidence of a crime.
    He REFUSED. He continued the practice and was held in contempt. The judge was appointed by Bush, The trial of his contempt hearing was by a judge appointed by Nixon who affirmed the conviction.
    How do you think Hispanics feel about law when this racist sheriff finally gets convicted for his outrageous illegal conduct -and the president issues a pardon (which says no crime) because he was a supporter of the president,

This is after he mentions that there were  lot of nice people marching with Nazis, KKK and white supremacist in Virginia.
    As diehard conservative senator Orrin Hatch stated; " My brother didn't die fighting Nazis so they could come her and march in our streets."
    This conduct by the president and his actions toward minorities has to give people pause.
    He views the Constitution as an impediment to him doing what he wants and thinks he can ignore it at will -or it should be changed. He doesn't seem to understand that e is not the CEO of the US or a dictator whose word is law, but that we are a nation of laws and they apply to everyone -especially to the president (he should be the most scrupulous person in dealing with the law.
    Nomads44
    Nomads44
    Not a Fanboy

Post by Nomads44 Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:

Jim;

There really isn't much bickering here. There is none of the nasty name calling that led to the downfall of the other. (name calling here seems to be reserved for Mr. Trump).
    Actually, there has been concern expressed here for the ignoring of constitutional protections.
    Trump prodded Arpaio before he was even sentenced. That shows blatant disrespect for the judiciary (which has been a hallmark of his presidency - a Mexican judge (born in Indiana) shouldn't hear the case against Trump University because Trump wanted a wall; a judge in Seattle and in Hawaii who ruled against his Muslim ban was a"so called judge" who would be responsible if anything happened, and the 9th district federal appellate court should be broken up. 
    He forgets-the ONLY back up for the judiciary is the EXECUTIVE branch (headed by Mr. Trump).
    If Trump wanted to protect poor old Joe (who worked prisoners in 120 degree weather and made them sleep in tents in his _as he called it- his concentration camp, he should have waited until sentencing and then COMMUTE the sentence.
    Joe was first investigated by Bush and told to stop his practices (more than one prisoner died in his camp, including by dehydration. The Justice department ruled his office was the most racist in the country. A federal judge ordered him in 2011 to stop arresting people who appeared to be Hispanics to check their immigrations status -without any evidence of a crime.
    He REFUSED. He continued the practice and was held in contempt. The judge was appointed by Bush, The trial of his contempt hearing was by a judge appointed by Nixon who affirmed the conviction.
    How do you think Hispanics feel about law when this racist sheriff finally gets convicted for his outrageous illegal conduct -and the president issues a pardon (which says no crime) because he was a supporter of the president,

This is after he mentions that there were  lot of nice people marching with Nazis, KKK and white supremacist in Virginia.
    As diehard conservative senator Orrin Hatch stated; " My brother didn't die fighting Nazis so they could come her and march in our streets."
    This conduct by the president and his actions toward minorities has to give people pause.
    He views the Constitution as an impediment to him doing what he wants and thinks he can ignore it at will -or it should be changed. He doesn't seem to understand that e is not the CEO of the US or a dictator whose word is law, but that we are a nation of laws and they apply to everyone -especially to the president (he should be the most scrupulous person in dealing with the law.

It apparently does not occur to you that the right leaning folks on this board and others are in the minority.  Some of us do not wish to participate in the bickering, which is why there is not as much.  It hurts a bit to be called one of the "idiots on the right" because I do not agree with the things you complain about.  I hoped this one would be just White Sox and not hate of the opposite parties.  Bowing out.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:16 pm

This is Blagos Cell, for political talk. Just avoid it if it's a problem...or just ignore mindless comments and debate with thoughtful ones.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 am

Nomads44 wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:

Jim;

It apparently does not occur to you that the right leaning folks on this board and others are in the minority.  Some of us do not wish to participate in the bickering, which is why there is not as much.  It hurts a bit to be called one of the "idiots on the right" because I do not agree with the things you complain about.  I hoped this one would be just White Sox and not hate of the opposite parties.  Bowing out.

They're not talking about you.  Aloha is clearly the idiot on the right being referred to.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:25 am

Nomads44 wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:

Jim;

Jim
    There are idiots on the right and on the left. No position has a monopoly on idiots. There has been talk of right wing idiots on this board, but no one is claiming that all right wing people are idiots!
    Yes conservatives are probably the minority on this board, but what is no longer evident are the vicious personal attacks that led to the creation of this board.
    I voted for Hilary, not enthusiastically, but could not vote for Trump. It would have been interesting what I would have done if it were Kasich.

Right wingers who defend the KKK, the nazis and the white supremacists would qualify.

I think Rob's comment is a good one. This is the political commentary section of the board-there are comments about the Sox-and enthusiasm for the seeming success of the youth movement in the other areas.
    If you don't like the tenor of a topic, ignore it (as I often did with Kark). I really haven't seen any mean spiritness toward any board poster.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 am

frank bonifacic wrote:

If you don't like the tenor of a topic, ignore it (as I often did with Kark). I really haven't seen any mean spiritness toward any board poster.

I pretty much hate all of you, but I try keeping it on the down-low in my posts.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:14 am

blondy28 wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:

Jim;

They're not talking about you.  Aloha is clearly the idiot on the right being referred to.

Wrong. I'm just an idiot. (The Right calls me an idiot too if you have ever seen Kark. He calls me a pro-life Democrat.) As I have told people, "if all you listen to is Hannity, Breitbart, Wilkow, then someone like Kasich or Rubio are Communists.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:15 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:

I pretty much hate all of you, but I try keeping it on the down-low in my posts.

We all hate you too...but only one wishes you dead. Or do you wish him dead? I can't remember.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:08 am

alohafri wrote:

We all hate you too...but only one wishes you dead. Or do you wish him dead? I can't remember.

It just depends on the day.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:

Jim;

This in a nutshell, is what I just don't get. Here is a man who fought for the constitution of the USA  in Vietnam against a communist regime, who doesn't agree that abusing and voiding constitutional law is a bad thing. That concentration camps are a bad thing. That stopping and arresting innocent citizens based on their color, is a bad thing. My mother's husband, yes my father, her uncle, brother in law, cousins, all fought in WW2 against the Nazi's to defeat fascism, to protect the constitution of the United states, yet, she too doesn't "agree" that someone trying to usurp that same constitution of the united states, a document that 400+ thousand Americans died for in the 1940s, 53k in WW1, 55k in Korea, and 53k in Vietnam,  is an evil person and needs to be stopped.  I asked my mother how she could back trump who is supporting Nazi's on TV when her uncle, who lives just down the street, fought in the battle of the bulge and was shot at, by the Nazis?  "Well at least he isn't Hiliary or Obama"...ok, what exactly do you mean by that?  "they were for abortion, they are the devil"...ok..so saving the car industry, and reforming health care, and the environment, that means nothing ..." At least the niggers aren't getting everything now"....oh, ok .. African Americans are killing each other at record levels 25 miles from where she lives, but for the past 8 years, "they got everything"? ...Tell me how to deal with this? seriously. Tell me what to say to people like my mother, and to people who see nothing wrong with our President ruining the constitution of the country.  Tell me how to get them to understand that the UN has denounced Trump's constant demeaning of the freedom of the press as being dangerous to the safety of the world, with their sharpest rebuke in history, is something that is not important...the PRESS, felt to be so vital to the survival of this nation that its in the fucking first amendment....which by the way, according to Trump, might be outdated, which again, some people don't disagree with. How do people not realize that everything this country has stood for, has fought for, has EXISTED for, is at risk by a man who is the largest megalomaniac since Mussolini?  If people are not aware of this, if people are happy because abortion is now going to go away (yea right btw), if people are happy that the "niggers aren't getting everything now', and in order to have this happiness they don't care if some sheriff runs a concentration camp, and that our president has "detention camps", and that its okay if we escalates wars to prevent young Americans from becoming old Americans, and we should embrace the Nazi's b/c "there are some good people among them"(marge schott anyone?)...then what hope is there for my kid and every other blue collar kid?  And frankly, and honestly, if you feel anything that Trump is doing is right, I don't give a shit what you think you are like as a person, or that you might think you're such a good "Christian",  or a loyal and proud American, you are backing a racist, misogynist, fascist and anti-American individual and his cabal, and I question the morality of anyone who does that.  And if I am considered to be some type of left wing liberal nut who's gone off the deep end, so be it - I'm also not sticking my head in the sand and thinking how "this can't happen here"...
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:04 pm

The thing that has really struck me about Trump is how dead set he seems to be on wanting to be the antithesis to liberals, regardless of what the policy is.  I don't get any impression he has any certain policy he wants to put into play.  Does he even have a firm ideology?  It seems he's more concerned with making the liberals cry and throw up their hands.  Granted, many conservative policies will bring about that reaction from some libs, but it's begun to seem like his ONLY goal is to excite his base by making liberals upset.  I think he gets more thrill out of that than doing something positive for the country.  

For all of the talk about how his business experience was going to help him run the country, I've never seen an executive look so utterly incompetent at any and all levels of his job.  Now the folks that voted FOR him are turning on him.  

Tim you make a bunch of great points, but they are points that much of America will find too fuzzy and abstract to really comprehend on any sort of serious level.  You will never get through to your mom, but God bless ya for trying.  Many of the folks I know that are pro-Trump are very willing to openly make racist comments and they seem to feel like electing him was a sword to the belly of all of those lazy N-words who don't want to work.  I ain't saying all Trump voters are racist.  But if you're a racist, there's a candidate and a party that wants you and will make room at the table for you.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:19 pm

You will never get through to your mom, but God bless ya for trying.

My mom, aunt, sister, uncle, are what I call "collective racists". In all the years I have been alive, I cannot recall an incident or a story or any interaction with a person of color any of them have had that was a negative experience. No murders, no muggings, no killing, no assaults, etc -  In fact, almost any time they individually deal with an African American, or a Hispanic, or someone from the Middle East or Asia, they are raving about how cooperative they were, how much help they were, and what a great job they did, but in the next breath, ranting against the collective blacks, Mexicans etc..- my whole life, this is what I heard - but it was because the ones they dealt with  "were one of the good ones"....never putting together that just maybe, the majority are "good ones" and what they are doing is hating an entire group for a few bad ones - that connection never seems to hit home. It's just very bizarre to me.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:55 pm

sharpy wrote:You will never get through to your mom, but God bless ya for trying.

My mom, aunt, sister, uncle, are what I call "collective racists". In all the years I have been alive, I cannot recall an incident or a story or any interaction with a person of color any of them have had that was a negative experience. No murders, no muggings, no killing, no assaults, etc -  In fact, almost any time they individually deal with an African American, or a Hispanic, or someone from the Middle East or Asia, they are raving about how cooperative they were, how much help they were, and what a great job they did, but in the next breath, ranting against the collective blacks, Mexicans etc..- my whole life, this is what I heard - but it was because the ones they dealt with  "were one of the good ones"....never putting together that just maybe, the majority are "good ones" and what they are doing is hating an entire group for a few bad ones - that connection never seems to hit home. It's just very bizarre to me.

That is exactly how my in-laws are (or, in the case of my FIL, were, as he passed away in June).  I think I've told the story about their neighbor, "Mr. Cesar" (as my kids called him), who my FIL thought was black, but he was actually Dominican.  My in-laws could not have been nicer or more welcoming of him.  When Cesar's wife passed away, they invited Cesar to every holiday thereafter so he didn't have to be alone.  Cesar wasn't like those other "blacks".  My in-laws own two rental homes in Des Plaines, and after having a long-time renter in one of them move to Milwaukee, my husband spent a few months updating the house and making various repairs, and they just got a renter.  A Mexican...a fact my mother-in-law felt it was important to mention when she told my husband she had a renter.  But, she said, "but it's just him...not a whole huge family of them like they usually have".  Sometimes his dad will be visiting from Mexico.  "But just his dad...nobody else...not a whole bunch of relatives...just the dad".  I suspect when my mother-in-law observes that her new renter doesn't have a car full of fast food bags she will be rather astounded...because my in-laws often said "those Mexicans sure do like fast food.  They always have fast food wrappers and bags piled up in their cars".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:15 pm