Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

Harry Truman

jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Harry Truman Empty Harry Truman

Post by jaywit Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Recently finished David McCullough's tome on Harry Truman.  Wow, everything you ever wanted or didn't want to know about Harry S Truman.  It was about a thousand page book and at times became incredibly detailed about things that weren't of significant historical importance.  It seemed the author could have discriminated a little more and trimmed the length without losing any of the importance of Harry's place in history.  While I enjoyed this book, it wasn't near the level McCullough reached with his biography on Adams.

I didn't realize he was originally a product of a political machine from Kansas City that had obvious dubious ties and activities.  I didn't realize how much of a politician Truman was and how he gamed the systems in place to meet his desires.  Despite that, he still comes across as the most honest president in the last 100 years.

Currently reading Jeff Shaara's The Steel Wave, historical fiction regarding D-day from the eyes of Eisenhower, Rommell, a paratrooper sergeant from the 82nd airborne, a corporal infantryman storming Omaha.  While it's classified as fiction because the author embellishes individual stories, it remains true to the actual history and I'd classify it as something more historical than fiction.  The fiction part makes the reading more smoothe, however.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Harry Truman Empty Re: Harry Truman

Post by sharpy Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:12 pm

Jeff Shaara's The Steel Wave

Thanks for the recommendation.   I just finished a book called "the Jungle Grows Back" by Robert Kagan. I recommend it for anyone interested in world politics and why the course the world is heading toward is going to have disastrous effects on world peace, and, especially, why Trump's view of America in the world is so soo wrong .. 
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:57 am

I'm just over halfway done with Truman and I'm finding it fascinating. He seems to me to have a "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" quality. He was part of the machine in Kansas, but was put there as kind of a "front" because of his record in the war and genuine appearance. I didn't know too much about Harry, but this book has elevated him to one of my favorite Presidents.

I did see a meme the other day with a picture of Truman sitting behind his desk with his "The Buck Stops Here" sign and a picture of Trump with his quote "It's not my responsibility." The caption was, "How did we get from here to here?"

I've read Adams too and I did like it better too. But my interests have been more in that time period.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Joe Scarborough just released a book about Truman.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:19 pm

blondy28 wrote:Joe Scarborough just released a book about Truman.

I saw that. It's on my list to pick up after I finish Team of Rivals and Who Am I?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content