Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

The End is Near

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

The End is Near Empty The End is Near

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:35 am

Y'all got your 3 giant packs of toilet paper?  4 cases of bottled water?  Based on my observations at Costco, these will the only things we'll need during this debacle.  

Seriously, it kind of looks like my high school senior's baseball season will be wiped out, which sucks.  He's slated as the number one pitching starter on his high school ballclub this spring which will suck for him.  Not sure if I'm being naive, but I'm going to dinner with some friends tonight and pretending everything is ok.  I may not tongue kiss my friends, out of respect for this virus, but I'm not in panic mode either.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

The End is Near Empty Re: The End is Near

Post by jaywit Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:47 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Y'all got your 3 giant packs of toilet paper?  4 cases of bottled water?  Based on my observations at Costco, these will the only things we'll need during this debacle.  

Seriously, it kind of looks like my high school senior's baseball season will be wiped out, which sucks.  He's slated as the number one pitching starter on his high school ballclub this spring which will suck for him.  Not sure if I'm being naive, but I'm going to dinner with some friends tonight and pretending everything is ok.  I may not tongue kiss my friends, out of respect for this virus, but I'm not in panic mode either.
    Losing opening day (especially with the interesting Sox line up) and March madness is tough.  I don't give one shit about the NBA and I'm only a fair weather Hawks fan and they've not had a fair weather season.

It really hit home when my wife suggested not going to the ski resort this weekend.  That's our routine outing every winter weekend I'm not on call.  We'll still go but will avoid the lodge.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:41 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Y'all got your 3 giant packs of toilet paper?  4 cases of bottled water?  Based on my observations at Costco, these will the only things we'll need during this debacle.  

I'm not sure what "panic" people are referring to.  I mean, people use that phrase, but I don't know anyone who's actually panicking, and I don't think stocking up on toilet paper or water is evidence of panic, necessarily.  I think "panic" is the new "hoax".   Trump supporters can't say that Trump was full of shit, so they're pivoting to calling out "panic".  Seems like what we do know is that this virus is more easily transmitted than the flu or a cold, and certainly it's more deadly.  If Trump hadn't decided to go the "hoax" route, perhaps we would have been in a position to ride it out with relatively little disruption to our normal lives.  I don't think we are in a position to course correct at this point, so closings are necessary.  The question is how many for how long.  North Central, where my daughter goes, shut down in-room classes for the rest of the semester and have moved everything online.  All abroad students in level 3 countries have been told to return home by no later than March 20.  Macron announced just after that that he was ordering all schools, including colleges, in France to shut down.  Lake Forest, where my son goes, was on spring break this week.  Earlier this week they were advised that break was going to be extended by 2 days.  Yesterday they advised that it would be extended by a week.  My son's friend, who is Kwame Raoul's son, told him that Lake Forest will be going on-line as well, at least temporarily.  My other son goes to UIC, and they've switched to online classes.  I did take my LF son to dinner Wednesday night, so like you, I had no problem going out, but I was extremely aware of my surroundings.  My husband does not get paid sick leave, so that's why we stocked up...because he wants to limit his exposure.  I think people can make measured decisions as he has, and it's not indicative of "panic".  I mean, true panic means you purchase duct tape, right?  

I feel badly for your son.  I think it's impacting graduations, proms, and other activities.  It's especially upsetting if it's your senior year in high school or college.  My daughter was emphatic that she would NOT be returning home by next Friday.  She is simply not mentally prepared to leave her host family.  Since France shut the schools down, her school is not offering any on-line classes, and they did tell the students that they will get full credit for their courses even without finishing the semester.  The only thing we lose by her not returning home next Friday is reimbursement of airfare.  The other two students at host family's house are a student from China and one from South Korea, so they're not leaving either, although both of their countries seems to have things under control at this point.  South Korea has been held out as the model of how to handle a pandemic, so you don't end up like Italy.  We are on the same trajectory as Italy, and that falls squarely on Trump's shoulders.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Well, Macron shut everything down.  Gab was afraid that if she didn't leave, that it would be several months until she could return, so she booked a train to Paris, and will be jumping on a flight tomorrow around noon, after which nobody will be leaving or coming in.  She's lucky to have been able to get on a train and flight, but she's devastated about having to leave so suddenly and having to say goodbye to people she considers family.  They were all in her room helping her pack, all while the student from South Korea was trying to make arrangements to leave as well.

My son Alex was given the official word that Lake Forest is shutting down, so he will be coming home in a few days.

The stock market is insane.  Can't imagine that we've seen the bottom yet.  Trump owns the top 10 (or more) in one-day losses ever, but Trump says once we come through this, we will see the market like we've never seen it before!

Trump was less of a jag in his press conference today, although he did give himself a 10 out of 10, because his administration "acted so quickly."  

He's so awful.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:11 pm

The stock market is insane.  Can't imagine that we've seen the bottom yet.  Trump owns the top 10 (or more) in one-day losses ever, but Trump says once we come through this, we will see the market like we've never seen it before!

The only thing this crash does is allow the rich to buy up more stocks at very low rates. They will get mega richer, while small businesses go  under b/c of no income for who knows how long .. being in health care, I obviously will have a job and income, tho I also run a higher risk of getting sick - and I have to say, when the minister of health of a country, i.e Italy, dies from this virus, it does make you pause and consider the worst case scenario .. Gonna be tough recovery with poor leadership leading the way .. until November 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:59 pm