Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

Giolito

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Giolito Empty Giolito

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue May 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Lucas Giolito is the real deal, guys.  That is some very nice stuff he's showing off this season.  He has strong movement on every single pitch he's throwing.  People crying about him last season were jumping the gun.  If he can hold this thing together, he's going to have some very nice seasons.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Giolito Empty Re: Giolito

Post by cream919 Tue May 28, 2019 10:57 pm

Another of Tommy John's boys I believe? Yes he's been very good but I want to see a couple good years from him, not a few good games, before I start singing his praises. I've heard all this before on this board. Carlos Rodon anyone?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed May 29, 2019 7:09 am

I don't mean to suggest he will have great success. I am saying his raw skills are Hall of Fame quality. Now we watch to see if he can turn those skills into a notable career. If he plays his cards right for another month, he is a lock for an All Star berth. Same with McCann, who has been a Godsend. If they can sign some pitching this winter, 2020 ought to be a fun year.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am

Yes. Tommy John in 2012. 

I like what I've seen in him this year. He didn't let that first inning home run bother him last night. Shows testicular fortitude that other Sox pitchers seem to lack.
    telefrank
    telefrank
    Not a Fanboy

Post by telefrank Fri May 31, 2019 7:20 pm

Okay, now the Sox have one pitcher. Four more would be nice.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri May 31, 2019 9:23 pm

telefrank wrote:Okay, now the Sox have one pitcher. Four more would be nice.

I can't figure out for the life of me what the problem is with Lopez.  He has decent stuff.  I sometimes think he's tipping his pitches because he'll throw three fastballs in a row at 96 mph and then throw a curve and the hitter just looks like he's sitting on the damn thing.  The only pitch he has that seems to get him an edge is when his change up is working properly and moving all over the place.  

I also still believe that Covey has some potential, as his stuff is good and he's another guy who seems to get hit despite having decent stuff.  Banuelos is ok but can only last about four or five innings.  

I'm not saying these dudes are a part of the future, but I think there's a chance one of them ends up developing into a part of the future...Covey, specifically.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:48 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:

I can't figure out for the life of me what the problem is with Lopez.  He has decent stuff.  I sometimes think he's tipping his pitches because he'll throw three fastballs in a row at 96 mph and then throw a curve and the hitter just looks like he's sitting on the damn thing.  The only pitch he has that seems to get him an edge is when his change up is working properly and moving all over the place.  

I also still believe that Covey has some potential, as his stuff is good and he's another guy who seems to get hit despite having decent stuff.  Banuelos is ok but can only last about four or five innings.  

I'm not saying these dudes are a part of the future, but I think there's a chance one of them ends up developing into a part of the future...Covey, specifically.

It is possible that Lopez is too predictable, that they know based on past history his curveball is coming at a certain point in the count?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:41 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

It is possible that Lopez is too predictable, that they know based on past history his curveball is coming at a certain point in the count?

Well, that's an easy fix if that's the issue.  I see him sometimes throw a curve to a nice spot and they just look like they knew where it was going and what the pitch was.  He doesn't get anyone to do that noodle-leg freeze on his curve the way some guys do.  Remember the way Gavin Floyd would just lock a guy up with his curve?
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:32 pm

I see where golden boy Giolito has had a bit of a rough go of it the past 2 or 3 outings. Look, I like the kid but I want to see a consistent solid body of work from him...not just a few good games in a row...before I declare him some kind of staff savior. I've had a belly full of one month wonders flashing through this organization like a bolt of lightning only to see them designated for assignment a year or two later. Show me you're the real deal for a season or two and I'll be happy to jump on the bandwagon. In the meantime, I prefer to keep an even keel...lessens one's frustration. You can thank me later for the advice.  Very Happy
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 am

He's been mortal, while still showing flashes of dominance. He's a good pitcher who wins games, but surely not a hall of famer yet.  He's also only 23, and the least of this pitching staff's problems.  My point with him is that his stuff is outright nasty.  He's fighting his control right now, and that's been a prior bugaboo for him, too.  Even last year, when he had a horrible ERA, he led the Sox with 10 W's.  Has 10 already this year at the midpoint.  Maybe he's a guy who's the opposite of Quintana, whereby he finds ways to win, despite himself.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content