Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

+2
cream919
SoxIlliniRob
6 posters

Blackface photos

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Blackface photos Empty Blackface photos

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Anyone here have blackface photos floating around?  I don't understand people like this when they get in a corner and are found to have pics like this in their history.  It happened 35 yrs ago.  Can't a guy like Northam just say "Hey, I don't know what the heck I was thinking at that time.  I'm not a racist, and I don't think I was one then, but this picture clearly occurred.  I can't believe that's me.  I can't believe I thought this was a good idea.  But it happened.  I'm NOT that person.  That photo disgusts me.  I can't take it back but it's no longer me and my actions will continue to demonstrate that."  

I tend to believe folks have a willingness to forgive, but they're more willing to do it when people are honest about things.  To this day, I think that if Kavanaugh had said I remember being at that house gathering, and I remember being drunk and engaging in some stupid horseplay with another girl that at the time seemed stupid and silly, but that I would never have tried to rape her or harm her, then people would have kind of shrugged it off, aside from a few.  Northam has pretty much dug his own grave by not giving a straight answer about something that he should have just addressed head on from the first moment.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Blackface photos Empty Re: Blackface photos

Post by cream919 Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:38 pm

I've never been in blackface but my lawyers are trying to track down whoever has been plastering all over the internet that sex tape me and Carrie Underwood made a couple of years ago.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:54 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Anyone here have blackface photos floating around?  I don't understand people like this when they get in a corner and are found to have pics like this in their history.  It happened 35 yrs ago.  Can't a guy like Northam just say "Hey, I don't know what the heck I was thinking at that time.  I'm not a racist, and I don't think I was one then, but this picture clearly occurred.  I can't believe that's me.  I can't believe I thought this was a good idea.  But it happened.  I'm NOT that person.  That photo disgusts me.  I can't take it back but it's no longer me and my actions will continue to demonstrate that."  

I tend to believe folks have a willingness to forgive, but they're more willing to do it when people are honest about things.  To this day, I think that if Kavanaugh had said I remember being at that house gathering, and I remember being drunk and engaging in some stupid horseplay with another girl that at the time seemed stupid and silly, but that I would never have tried to rape her or harm her, then people would have kind of shrugged it off, aside from a few.  Northam has pretty much dug his own grave by not giving a straight answer about something that he should have just addressed head on from the first moment.

I don't understand why everyone doesn't say something to that effect, going back to Slick Willie. "I have a problem that I am getting help for. I wish I could take back the things I have done, but I can't. I guess, like all addicts, I had to hit rock bottom. Well, this is me hitting rock bottom. I want to apologize to the women I have assaulted and to the American people..."

But we are not in that place anymore. This is the era of "gotcha" and "you did it to us, now we are going to do it to you while we complain about you doing it to us in the first place."
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:13 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Anyone here have blackface photos floating around?  I don't understand people like this when they get in a corner and are found to have pics like this in their history.  It happened 35 yrs ago.  Can't a guy like Northam just say "Hey, I don't know what the heck I was thinking at that time.  I'm not a racist, and I don't think I was one then, but this picture clearly occurred.  I can't believe that's me.  I can't believe I thought this was a good idea.  But it happened.  I'm NOT that person.  That photo disgusts me.  I can't take it back but it's no longer me and my actions will continue to demonstrate that."  

I don't understand why everyone doesn't say something to that effect, going back to Slick Willie. "I have a problem that I am getting help for. I wish I could take back the things I have done, but I can't. I guess, like all addicts, I had to hit rock bottom. Well, this is me hitting rock bottom. I want to apologize to the women I have assaulted and to the American people..."

But we are not in that place anymore. This is the era of "gotcha" and "you did it to us, now we are going to do it to you while we complain about you doing it to us in the first place."
    Dumb thing to do but no worse than "...grab 'em by the pussy..."
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:14 am

I know people look back and think "what were we thinking back in those days?  Was this acceptable?"  This isn't a random picture that someone found in the back of their drawer...this is a yearbook.  So not only did these guys don those costumes, this made it past the yearbook sensors, too.  That tells me that this was certainly acceptable at that time in that location.  I mean, this is the south, so you gotta figure they're at least 15-20 years behind northern locations in terms of race.  Sure, he can't make the comment about the racist south, but I digress.  

They've been talking on the radio about this week's "apology tours".  Northam.  Liam Neeson.  Joe Ricketts.  All responses have been pretty lame.  With the advisers and PR people they all certainly have, I would have expected better.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:29 am

It is truly amazing how bad these dudes are at managing effective apologies.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:49 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:It is truly amazing how bad these dudes are at managing effective apologies.

What was kind of astounding was that Joe Ricketts actually believed the stories going around the web that Obama was really a gay prostitute and that Michelle Obama is a man.  I kind of always thought that the affluent, educated members of the party used that to get the votes of the trailer park faction of the party, and yes, I know that there are even some people whose socioeconomic class/level of education that's similar to mine believe that, but how one can actually have billions and yet believe Hillary is running a child prostitution ring out of a pizza restaurant or that Michelle Obama is really a man?  To Pete Ricketts' credit, he set his dad straight.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:44 pm

I just find it silly that there are statutes of limitations on almost all crimes, but yet, not on behavior. Since I too may be running for president in 2020, let me just get it out there and officially apologize for all my rude and terrible behavior over the years ...yes, at the 8th grade dance I did pinch the butt of one, or maybe more, girls-I blame puberty. I would also like to apologize for ever using for terms spic, nigger, jew, jap, dago, wop, mick and pollack. it is also with sincere apologies that I called cops Pigs and Fuzz during my terrible years, and actually was opposed to the war in Vietnam and all wars since, and that I did not "support" our troops in Vietnam b/c a) I was too young and b) back then, like now, nobody knows what the hell that really means.   Yes, I apologize - for voting for Ford, and for Anderson, and for Bush 2....it was all terrible, and all OCCURRED WHEN I WAS YOUNG, STUPID, INEXPERIENCED AND UNDER THE EFFECTS OF PEER PRESSURE.   Oh, and I apologize for all the gay and lesbians who whose lives I ruined by using the term queer, tho I admit that I have never used "fag", b/c that word I didn't like the sound of, not I cared if anyone called anyone a fag, I just don't like the way it sounds.  And, just to show how magnanimous I am and how things should be done, I forgive Bill Jordan who when we were juniors in high school called me a HONKY because I asked if he thought his sister would go out with me ...Bill, I forgive you, even if everyone else in the world wouldn't
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Good points, Tim.  I thought Pam made a pretty succinct point, too.  If the university deemed it fitting to print a photo of a KKK guy posing with a dude in blackface, then wasn't it perhaps more accepted and the norm than we're giving credit for?  Seriously, this is the best point I've heard.  A fucking university thought this was OK to print, but I'm supposed to demand this dumb-ass Northam resign?  If he's going to resign it ought to be for being so damn stupid that he can't figure out how to put an apology out there that makes sense.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 pm

The only thing I ever did wrong was once I got a boner in church as a teenager watching the organ player press the pedals while wearing a mini-skirt. Other than that I've been pretty much perfect. Ya all are lucky to know me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:20 pm