Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

+2
sharpy
blondy28
6 posters

A Star is Born

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

A Star is Born Empty A Star is Born

Post by blondy28 Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:01 pm

sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

A Star is Born Empty Re: A Star is Born

Post by sharpy Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:11 pm

No argument from here …..
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:56 pm

She is awesome.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:01 pm

It's kind of absurd when you think about when she first came on the scene and there were comparisons to Madonna.  I mean, I get it in one respect...the meat dress and all...but Madonna doesn't have 1/10 of the talent that Gaga has.  Madonna has done a good job marketing herself, but she's about average vocally.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Peg wants to see her in Vegas, but she wants to see the jazzy-Tony Bennett inspired show, not the other one.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:48 pm

alohafri wrote:Peg wants to see her in Vegas, but she wants to see the jazzy-Tony Bennett inspired show, not the other one.

I'm sure both are outstanding.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm a fan.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Heard Richard Roper's review of A Star is Born.  He said that Lady Gaga is a shoo-in to win best song at Academy Awards.  He also said it was the best of the four incarnations of the movies by A LOT and that he predicts no less than 8 nominations including best picture.  Opens tomorrow.  Can't wait to see it.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Lady and Gents, I saw A Star is Born tonight.  Yes, I turned in my man card and accepted wifey's invite to see it with her, her sis, her mom, and me.  I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.  Lady Gaga was amazing.  She's crazy talented.  She lights up the screen and you just can't take your eyes off of her.  I find her beautiful in a very imperfect way.  I'm sure my wife was equally glued to Bradley Cooper.  Overall, I think it's the most enjoyable movie I've seen in a decade or so.  Not saying it's the best movie in a decade...just saying it's the most fun I've had seeing a movie.  I would imagine several of the songs will be Oscar nominated and surely one of them will win.  Surely, there'll be a best picture nomination and some best actor and actress noms.  Many of you will like it because we're sort of a crowd that really enjoys our live music.  It'll be interesting to hear your takes on it.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:04 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Lady and Gents, I saw A Star is Born tonight.  Yes, I turned in my man card and accepted wifey's invite to see it with her, her sis, her mom, and me.  I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.  Lady Gaga was amazing.  She's crazy talented.  She lights up the screen and you just can't take your eyes off of her.  I find her beautiful in a very imperfect way.  I'm sure my wife was equally glued to Bradley Cooper.  Overall, I think it's the most enjoyable movie I've seen in a decade or so.  Not saying it's the best movie in a decade...just saying it's the most fun I've had seeing a movie.  I would imagine several of the songs will be Oscar nominated and surely one of them will win.  Surely, there'll be a best picture nomination and some best actor and actress noms.  Many of you will like it because we're sort of a crowd that really enjoys our live music.  It'll be interesting to hear your takes on it.

Saw it tonight...or I guess it was last night.  Couldn't get into the 7:30 show so we ended up at the 10:30, which ended around 1:00.  I agree with everything you said.  Gaga is unbelievable in the movie.  The singing.  The acting.  Interestingly I liked her least when she was most like Lady Gaga (after she'd "made it") and liked her more when she was natural.  I have not seen any of the first 3 A Star is Born movies, so I'm not sure how this one differed, although I've heard it did.  It was excellent.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:07 am

I believe that they meant for the Gaga'ish songs to seem inferior to her raw songs.  The SNL song was downright cringey, but cringey on purpose I think.

Wifey tells me Gaga wrote all of the music for the movie, aside from some of the Jack music, which Bradley Cooper helped write.  Shit, that woman is talented.

Funny story...back about 11 yrs ago, wifey, our live in nanny, and I were all watching "So You Think You Can Dance?"  At the end of a show they said now it's time for a special performance from a hot new artist.  The lights went down, cue smoke, and she marches in with her dancers and announces robotically "I am Lady Gaga!" She then performed Just Dance, and it was all very weird and bad. We had never heard of her or the song.  She finished, marched off the stage, and we all said in unison "What the fuck was that!!!???"  How our perceptions have changed.  I suspect this movie will will propel her legend above that of Madonna's. She was always more talented, though.  She's a shoo in for at least a musical Oscar this coming spring, and likely to have several of her songs nominated.  I suspect she'll also get nominated for her acting.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:57 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I believe that they meant for the Gaga'ish songs to seem inferior to her raw songs.  The SNL song was downright cringey, but cringey on purpose I think.

Wifey tells me Gaga wrote all of the music for the movie, aside from some of the Jack music, which Bradley Cooper helped write.  Shit, that woman is talented.

Funny story...back about 11 yrs ago, wifey, our live in nanny, and I were all watching "So You Think You Can Dance?"  At the end of a show they said now it's time for a special performance from a hot new artist.  The lights went down, cue smoke, and she marches in with her dancers and announces robotically "I am Lady Gaga!" She then performed Just Dance, and it was all very weird and bad. We had never heard of her or the song.  She finished, marched off the stage, and we all said in unison "What the fuck was that!!!???"  How our perceptions have changed.  I suspect this movie will will propel her legend above that of Madonna's. She was always more talented, though.  She's a shoo in for at least a musical Oscar this coming spring, and likely to have several of her songs nominated.  I suspect she'll also get nominated for her acting.

Yes, definitely the pop version of Ally was meant to be inferior, but the pop version is actually more like Gaga in real life...although she has shown herself to be extremely diverse musically, so her entire repertoire if probably less so in that mold than her early stuff.  Have you seen her in Carpool Karaoke?  She told James Carden that Poker Face and Born This Way (I think) each took her 10 minutes to write.  She's a musical savant.  

I can see her having more than one song nominated, and wouldn't she qualify for best original score?  She will definitely get a nod for lead actress.  I actually don't really watch movies, so not sure who might be her competition, but she will be nominated for sure.  I would think Cooper will as well, for both director and lead actor.  Don't know if Sam Elliott's performance would be considered for supporting actor or not.  Frankly I couldn't stop looking at his ginormous overbite.  I don't recall it being that bad...although maybe since he's aged and his chin is hanging it just makes it more pronounced, but I was distracted by it.  

I would imagine there will be some record setting numbers for how much the movie made in its opening weekend.  The movie only cost $38 million to make, which is nothing by today's standards.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:36 pm

blondy28 wrote:

Yes, definitely the pop version of Ally was meant to be inferior, but the pop version is actually more like Gaga in real life...although she has shown herself to be extremely diverse musically, so her entire repertoire if probably less so in that mold than her early stuff.  Have you seen her in Carpool Karaoke?  She told James Carden that Poker Face and Born This Way (I think) each took her 10 minutes to write.  She's a musical savant.  

I recall seeing the Karaoke, but I can't remember it very specifically.  if you listen to the words of those two songs it's easy to see why and how she wrote them that quickly.  Anymore, the current Gaga music is beginning to sound a lot more like the soulful version of Ally from the movie.  I've never really been into her music, and never really minded it, either.  A couple of her songs are decent.  Wifey was telling me that the soulful music from the movie is more or less what her newer music sounds like.

I can see her having more than one song nominated, and wouldn't she qualify for best original score? 

Original Score music is generally the background music that doesn't have lyrics.  The kind of music that plays in the background during Titanic or Dances with Wolves.  I'm not even sure this movie had an original score.  They have awards for original score and best song.  She will likely have anywhere from 2 to 5 of the songs nominated.  Honestly, I assume she'll be performing those songs throughout the Oscars because she probably ends up having 3-4 nominated and is singing one of them every 30 mins during the broadcast, and then receives an award for whichever one the judges like the best.

She will definitely get a nod for lead actress. 
    I'm not always good at knowing what's good acting.  Cooper probably wins, though.  THAT was good acting.  He changed his voice an octave for that movie, too.  I have no idea if Gaga's acting was good.  I only know I couldn't take my eyes off of her and I don't say that because I think she's hot or anything.  She just owned the screen.  

I actually don't really watch movies, so not sure who might be her competition, but she will be nominated for sure.

Usually more than half of the nominations come from movies that come out in December.  Half of the nominated movies aren't even released yet.

I would think Cooper will as well, for both director and lead actor. 
    Should win for actor.  Nominated maybe for director.  Interesting directing.  Strange camera angles.  Tons of Gaga close ups and weird angles.  

Don't know if Sam Elliott's performance would be considered for supporting actor or not. 
    I could see that.  Certainly had enough parts.  Are you aware that Andrew Dice Clay was in this flick?  Ally's dad.  I couldn't believe that when I read that, but I knew that he looked familiar.  

I would imagine there will be some record setting numbers for how much the movie made in its opening weekend.  The movie only cost $38 million to make, which is nothing by today's standards.
    How in God's name did they do that for 38 mill?  I'd have thought just Cooper and Gaga would cost you 38 mill.  Shooting those concert scenes had to cost a shitload.  Maybe Cooper took a pay cut and gets a bunch of the gate.  
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:22 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

I recall seeing the Karaoke, but I can't remember it very specifically.  if you listen to the words of those two songs it's easy to see why and how she wrote them that quickly.  Anymore, the current Gaga music is beginning to sound a lot more like the soulful version of Ally from the movie.  I've never really been into her music, and never really minded it, either.  A couple of her songs are decent.  Wifey was telling me that the soulful music from the movie is more or less what her newer music sounds like.

I can see her having more than one song nominated, and wouldn't she qualify for best original score? 

Original Score music is generally the background music that doesn't have lyrics.  The kind of music that plays in the background during Titanic or Dances with Wolves.  I'm not even sure this movie had an original score.  They have awards for original score and best song.  She will likely have anywhere from 2 to 5 of the songs nominated.  Honestly, I assume she'll be performing those songs throughout the Oscars because she probably ends up having 3-4 nominated and is singing one of them every 30 mins during the broadcast, and then receives an award for whichever one the judges like the best.

I'm not always good at knowing what's good acting.  Cooper probably wins, though.  THAT was good acting.  He changed his voice an octave for that movie, too.  I have no idea if Gaga's acting was good.  I only know I couldn't take my eyes off of her and I don't say that because I think she's hot or anything.  She just owned the screen.  

I actually don't really watch movies, so not sure who might be her competition, but she will be nominated for sure.

Usually more than half of the nominations come from movies that come out in December.  Half of the nominated movies aren't even released yet.

Should win for actor.  Nominated maybe for director.  Interesting directing.  Strange camera angles.  Tons of Gaga close ups and weird angles.  

Don't know if Sam Elliott's performance would be considered for supporting actor or not. 
    I could see that.  Certainly had enough parts.  Are you aware that Andrew Dice Clay was in this flick?  Ally's dad.  I couldn't believe that when I read that, but I knew that he looked familiar.  

How in God's name did they do that for 38 mill?  I'd have thought just Cooper and Gaga would cost you 38 mill.  Shooting those concert scenes had to cost a shitload.  Maybe Cooper took a pay cut and gets a bunch of the gate.  

I heard somewhere how they did the concert scenes, and I believe they used the stages/audiences from concerts like Lalapalooza.   Yep, I totally knew that was Andrew Dice Clay immediately.  I told you...I'm really good at that "game".  The other driver is the guy from Orange is the New Black.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:33 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

I heard somewhere how they did the concert scenes, and I believe they used the stages/audiences from concerts like Lalapalooza.   Yep, I totally knew that was Andrew Dice Clay immediately.  I told you...I'm really good at that "game".  The other driver is the guy from Orange is the New Black.
    Before I go see this, tell me, is this a musical where the vast majority of the movie is singing and dancing, a la Mamma Mia with Meryl Streep?  Or is there actual story, acting, drama, with a few songs mixed in a la The Rose with Bette Midler?  For me, a little goes a long way when considering the music in most musicals.  
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:57 pm

jaywit wrote:

Before I go see this, tell me, is this a musical where the vast majority of the movie is singing and dancing, a la Mamma Mia with Meryl Streep?  Or is there actual story, acting, drama, with a few songs mixed in a la The Rose with Bette Midler?  For me, a little goes a long way when considering the music in most musicals.  

No.  This is a movie about musicians.  Plenty of acting and talking, and occasional concert footage.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:10 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

No.  This is a movie about musicians.  Plenty of acting and talking, and occasional concert footage.

I understand that the 2 original versions were actually about being a movie star, whereas the Barbra Streisand version and this one were/are about becoming rock stars.  Funny you mention The Rose, because that's the example I would have used.  I LOVE that movie, and have actually tried to find it on Netflix, but they've never carried it.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 am

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

I understand that the 2 original versions were actually about being a movie star, whereas the Barbra Streisand version and this one were/are about becoming rock stars.  Funny you mention The Rose, because that's the example I would have used.  I LOVE that movie, and have actually tried to find it on Netflix, but they've never carried it.
    The Rose is one of my favorite movies about rock and roll.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:27 pm

The Rose is one of my favorite movies about rock and roll.

"The Rose" is a good movie. I recently watched it. I have Netflix, but if you don't think it's on there, it must be on HBO
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:39 pm

sharpy wrote:The Rose is one of my favorite movies about rock and roll.

"The Rose" is a good movie. I recently watched it. I have Netflix, but if you don't think it's on there, it must be on HBO

Just checked both...neither one has it.  Tried Amazon and it says it's not available.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Wifey made me watch the Lady Gaga Netflix Documentary tonight.  It was pretty good.  Pretty interesting.  Worth a viewing.  Shows quite a lot of skin for you perverts out there.  My wife said she'd go gay for Gaga.  I guess I need to step up my game.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Wifey made me watch the Lady Gaga Netflix Documentary tonight.  It was pretty good.  Pretty interesting.  Worth a viewing.  Shows quite a lot of skin for you perverts out there.  My wife said she'd go gay for Gaga.  I guess I need to step up my game.

I've started watching but have to finish.  I love that she was named for a Queen song.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:09 pm

blondy28 wrote:

Just checked both...neither one has it.  Tried Amazon and it says it's not available.
    I know I'm old but I know I watched it within the last 3 months

I'm out of town but when I get back I'll check. 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:27 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Wifey made me watch the Lady Gaga Netflix Documentary tonight.  It was pretty good.  Pretty interesting.  Worth a viewing.  Shows quite a lot of skin for you perverts out there.  My wife said she'd go gay for Gaga.  I guess I need to step up my game.

I've started watching but have to finish.  I love that she was named for a Queen song.

Yeah, I remember reading that it was based on Radio Gaga.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 pm

sharpy wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

I know I'm old but I know I watched it within the last 3 months

I'm out of town but when I get back I'll check. 

Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:46 pm