Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

+2
SoxIlliniRob
blondy28
6 posters

John McCain

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

John McCain Empty John McCain

Post by blondy28 Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:35 pm

A true war hero and a true gentleman.  He made me proud to be an American and proud he was on our side.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

John McCain Empty Re: John McCain

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:01 pm

An American hero, and also a typical Repub who spent 8 yrs denigrating every single moment of the Obama presidency. So tired of the partisan crap.
    Nomads44
    Nomads44
    Not a Fanboy

Post by Nomads44 Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:42 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:So tired of the partisan crap.

Hear, Hear!  About 30 years or so.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:43 pm

I disagreed with much of what he believed but I think he was an honorable man and an legitimate hero. He also quite possibly might have been one of the last 5 or 6 sane republicans left in the United States. 

His wife Cindy is also a huge Cream fan which makes her OK in my book.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:49 pm

cream919 wrote:I disagreed with much of what he believed but I think he was an honorable man and an legitimate hero. He also quite possibly might have been one of the last 5 or 6 sane republicans left in the United States. 

His wife Cindy is also a huge Cream fan which makes her OK in my book.

Definitely sane, and definitely kept his spine intact throughout his life, unlike the current GOP.  Not sure there's a single spine left in the party.  Maybe knowing he was leaving us soon allowed him to live by his conscience with no fear of retribution.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:47 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:An American hero, and also a typical Repub who spent 8 yrs denigrating every single moment of the Obama presidency.  So tired of the partisan crap.

He was, and is still being criticized by the whackjob wing of the Republican party for not voting to kill Obmacare. If the Republican party had an alternative, he may have voted with them. But he wasn't just going to yank healthcare from those who had finally gotten it...even those whackjobs who had gotten it through Obamacare and were now calling for its dismantling, which they were probably too stupid to realize that would mean they would lose healthcare.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:19 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:An American hero, and also a typical Repub who spent 8 yrs denigrating every single moment of the Obama presidency.  So tired of the partisan crap.

He was, and is still being criticized by the whackjob wing of the Republican party for not voting to kill Obmacare. If the Republican party had an alternative, he may have voted with them. But he wasn't just going to yank healthcare from those who had finally gotten it...even those whackjobs who had gotten it through Obamacare and were now calling for its dismantling, which they were probably too stupid to realize that would mean they would lose healthcare.

I'm trying to think of a parallel to put myself in their shoes, but I can't think of one.  When Scalia died, I can't say that I was upset about it or considered it a tragedy, but I wasn't dancing on his grave, either.  But that's not parallel, because the far right who are cheering the loss of McCain feel betrayed by him, I suppose.  There are certainly some blue dogs whose voting record pisses me off, but I can't think of any of them whose death I would celebrate.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:57 pm

alohafri wrote:

At this point, I would just like to understand the GOP's position on healthcare.  It's unclear, and it doesn't seem as if they know what they want, either.  Personally, I think McCain seriously saved their ass from repealing it without an alternative in place.  ACA, warts and all, was specifically meant to do two things...afford coverage to people with uninsurable pre-conditions at a price that could be managed, and afford coverage to poor people who couldn't afford it at all.  All of the other things it does are tertiary, and are meant to help make it all work better.  Got the feeling that McCain at least understood that ACA was meant to do those two primary things and was doing it pretty well (along with creating problems elsewhere) and figured he couldn't destroy it without a clear follow up plan.  Maybe they'll replace McCain with some appointed stooge that will vote to repeal it in a hurry.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:25 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

At this point, I would just like to understand the GOP's position on healthcare.  It's unclear, and it doesn't seem as if they know what they want, either.  Personally, I think McCain seriously saved their ass from repealing it without an alternative in place.  ACA, warts and all, was specifically meant to do two things...afford coverage to people with uninsurable pre-conditions at a price that could be managed, and afford coverage to poor people who couldn't afford it at all.  All of the other things it does are tertiary, and are meant to help make it all work better.  Got the feeling that McCain at least understood that ACA was meant to do those two primary things and was doing it pretty well (along with creating problems elsewhere) and figured he couldn't destroy it without a clear follow up plan.  Maybe they'll replace McCain with some appointed stooge that will vote to repeal it in a hurry.

Hopefully the people of Arizona won't replace him with that dopey broad who claimed that they announced that John was ending treatment just to prevent her from getting elected.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:36 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Hopefully the people of Arizona won't replace him with that dopey broad who claimed that they announced that John was ending treatment just to prevent her from getting elected.

I believe she's running for Flake's vacated seat, Kev.  McCain's slot will be appointed by the governor.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I believe she's running for Flake's vacated seat, Kev.  McCain's slot will be appointed by the governor.

Regardless...
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:41 am

Maybe the gov will appoint that crackpot lady.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Isn't the primary tomorrow?  In condoland, if a board member steps down, the board will often appoint the next highest vote getter to fill the vacancy, believing that they are honoring the owners' wishes.  If the second place vote getter for Flake's seat loses narrowly, perhaps the governor does appoint that person.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:06 pm

I see that the Trump administration and staff coaxed the orange fucker into finally lowering the flag at the WH to half mast.  Amazing how this idiot allows a personal grievance to get in the way of basic humanity.  Isn't it a standard thing to lower the flag in a situation like this?
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:26 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I see that the Trump administration and staff coaxed the orange fucker into finally lowering the flag at the WH to half mast.  Amazing how this idiot allows a personal grievance to get in the way of basic humanity.  Isn't it a standard thing to lower the flag in a situation like this?

It was lowered for 24 hours and then they raised it.  He's a vile disgusting fuck.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:I see that the Trump administration and staff coaxed the orange fucker into finally lowering the flag at the WH to half mast.  Amazing how this idiot allows a personal grievance to get in the way of basic humanity.  Isn't it a standard thing to lower the flag in a situation like this?

It was lowered for 24 hours and then they raised it.  He's a vile disgusting fuck.

After pressure, maybe even from his own White House, it is back to half-staff. Of course he'll never admit to a "mistake" or "poor judgement" or anything else that his base will consider "caving."
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:11 pm

He is the lowest and pettiest of the petty and low.  It's utterly amazing, and yet I've come to expect it.  No matter how low he goes into the gutter, he finds a way to reach a new, lower low almost every couple of days.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:13 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:He is the lowest and pettiest of the petty and low.  It's utterly amazing, and yet I've come to expect it.  No matter how low he goes into the gutter, he finds a way to reach a new, lower low almost every couple of days.

His "base" is just as bad. Yahoos on Yahoo are calling George W. Bush a Democrat, saying that McCain is having two Democrats eulogizing him. This is why we can't have nice things. Unless you are "lockstep" with the "base" of a political party, you are branded a traitor to the cause, or are accused of being a member of the opposite party.

George Bush a Democrat? WTF?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:27 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:He is the lowest and pettiest of the petty and low.  It's utterly amazing, and yet I've come to expect it.  No matter how low he goes into the gutter, he finds a way to reach a new, lower low almost every couple of days.

His "base" is just as bad. Yahoos on Yahoo are calling George W. Bush a Democrat, saying that McCain is having two Democrats eulogizing him. This is why we can't have nice things. Unless you are "lockstep" with the "base" of a political party, you are branded a traitor to the cause, or are accused of being a member of the opposite party.

George Bush a Democrat? WTF?

He's a RINO, I tell ya!

His base is not the most educated bunch.  I mean, let's just be honest.  I don't say that to be mean or dickish.  I'm merely noting that they may not be the most qualified to try making such a claim.  It's like when my teenager asks me (a math major and former math teacher) for help on his math homework and I show him how it's done and he tells me I'm wrong.  I just laugh at him and send him on his way.

Also, Kevin...keep in mind that Trump's approval rating among Republicans is around 90%.  He's up there in the realm of Reagan territory.  Repubs love this guy.  He is republicanism and conservatism, as far as I'm concerned.  This is what the party morphed into over the past 10 years with their "Obama is a Muslim from Kenya" bullshit and branding his every move as a scandal worthy of investigation.  Well, that's now what we have for a political climate.  And now if the Dems get a House majority, they will respond in perfect lockstep with this climate by opening about 29 different House investigations into Trump's family and will be issuing subpoenas to everyone and their brother to come and testify before a public committee, so we can watch high and mighty congressmen yelling on live television at Don Jr, Jared, Ivanka, Mnuchin, Betsy Devos, and myriad others.  If they get a Senate majority (doubtful), they will block any and all SCOTUS appointments until after the 2020 election because that's the new normal.  This is the environment that's been created for us.  We get to roll around in it.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:37 pm

I told ya all years ago this shit was coming down the pike but did you listen? Noooooooo. The world of Kark is the new norm in the Republican party. Indeed, he could be Trump's "Mini-Me".
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:40 am

They were talking about this issue on CNN this morning with the results of the Florida primaries. They were saying that the middle is being squeezed out and that we (meaning me) will be the next group of people who will take "vacations" from voting as both parties move farther to the left and the right.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:55 am

alohafri wrote:They were talking about this issue on CNN this morning with the results of the Florida primaries. They were saying that the middle is being squeezed out and that we (meaning me) will be the next group of people who will take "vacations" from voting as both parties move farther to the left and the right.

There is definitely movement in each direction.  I read just a day or two ago, however, that even a majority of republicans are now claiming to want single payer healthcare.  Something like 70% of Americans say "Yes, I want universal care."  Maybe everyone is moving left at least on that issue.  I realize that if you rephrase the question asking them if they want single payer and the increase in taxes that will come with it, they change their mind to a large degree, but sooner or later some politician is going to figure out how to campaign on the issue, explaining that we currently pay more now per capita than we'd pay in taxes per capita for single payer.  In the end, single payer would cost us less out of pocket per citizen, than it currently does.  It's currently costing us 18+% percent of our GDP.  Most single payer systems are in the 10-12% range.  Shit, if we did ours at 15% that's about $100 billion back in the pockets of the citizenry.  I know recently that the Koch Bros paid for a study to show how expensive single payer would be, and it was some huge amount...hundreds of billions, or a couple trillion or whatnot.  And they thought that proved their point until folks noticed that it's less than we pay now, advising that if we undid all of the premiums we pay for insurance and instead paid a tax for it, there'd be money left over.  

The other issue that seems to be moving left is the idea of free tuition for college.  Beyond that, I'm not overly aware of any other current issues moving left.  Probably forgetting a few.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:35 pm

As with Cream, I was never a big fan of McCain's politics, but he was enough in the middle that he didn't bother me all that much. The only thing I could never figure out, is why anyone who went to war, spent 5+ years in pure hell, would be a war-hawk and willing to put other mother's sons in that same position?  Wouldn't you become anti-war?   My dad sure was anti-war after being in WW2 - His opinion was that no man should have to go thru that. 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:11 pm

sharpy wrote:As with Cream, I was never a big fan of McCain's politics, but he was enough in the middle that he didn't bother me all that much. The only thing I could never figure out, is why anyone who went to war, spent 5+ years in pure hell, would be a war-hawk and willing to put other mother's sons in that same position?  Wouldn't you become anti-war?   My dad sure was anti-war after being in WW2 - His opinion was that no man should have to go thru that. 

When I worked at the Chicago Stadium, I used to talk to Johnny Bach quite a bit.  He told me he loved war, even though his twin brother died in the war.   I just did a search on Johnny and his brother and found this on a website about famous veterans who died in 2016:

Both Bach and his twin brother Neil served the Navy during World War II (Neil was lost at sea in 1944), with Johnny signing up through the Navy ROTC and serving as a deck officer. He served during the assault on Okinawa, and was headed with his fleet for Tokyo when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. Appropriately enough for a rough-and-ready, decorated war veteran, Bach stressed fundamentals and tough defense, and was known as the architect of the Bulls' "Doberman" defense. One of the first military service members to occupy Nagasaki after the atomic bombing, Bach would often pepper his speeches and film sessions with military references, and drop the ace of spades ("the card of death") for big victories. He was known for marching into Bulls' practices and announcing to the team, "Men, today's a great day to die!" 
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:20 pm

He told me he loved war, even though his twin brother died in the war.

Sorry, can't get my head around an attitude like this. Would he have "loved" it if he was home with no arms or no leg and arm? Or brain damaged due to a bullet in his head?  Would the love for war be as great?  Guess it's easy to love war when you make it out whole and have a great life after it - kind of like going to camp for the summer ….

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content