Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

Shit or get off the pot!

alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Shit or get off the pot! Empty Shit or get off the pot!

Post by alohafri Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:57 am

Social media is flooded with comments from Illinois residents about how much they hate living here because of high taxes, etc. and how they can't wait to move. What the hell are you waiting for? Move or shut the fuck up!
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Shit or get off the pot! Empty Re: Shit or get off the pot!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 am

Ha. I see it all the time. We have a pretty nice standard of living here. Many less expensive states are there for the taking if you don't mind the quality of life there.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Ha. I see it all the time. We have a pretty nice standard of living here.  Many less expensive states are there for the taking if you don't mind the quality of life there.

A guy I used to work with who retired two years ago, moved to one of the Carolinas. He told us that while the taxes were lower, the cost of insurance was sky high because of the threat of hurricanes. They don't base cost on zip code, but on the whole state. In one hand, out the other. People think Shangri-La is anywhere but here. "I'm going to move to Indiana where everything is roses and puppies!"
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:07 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Ha. I see it all the time. We have a pretty nice standard of living here.  Many less expensive states are there for the taking if you don't mind the quality of life there.

A guy I used to work with who retired two years ago, moved to one of the Carolinas. He told us that while the taxes were lower, the cost of insurance was sky high because of the threat of hurricanes. They don't base cost on zip code, but on the whole state. In one hand, out the other. People think Shangri-La is anywhere but here. "I'm going to move to Indiana where everything is roses and puppies!"

There is so much of this and I get it.  I'm gonna move to Arkansas where there ain't no taxes and the gov't doesn't interfere and everything is awesome.  And then a month after you move, you're thinking "Holy shit!  I'm in the middle of fucking Arkansas and there's not a major league sports stadium within 300 miles and it's hotter than hell here."  And that's not to mention the overall quality of life there.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

There is so much of this and I get it.  I'm gonna move to Arkansas where there ain't no taxes and the gov't doesn't interfere and everything is awesome.  And then a month after you move, you're thinking "Holy shit!  I'm in the middle of fucking Arkansas and there's not a major league sports stadium within 300 miles and it's hotter than hell here."  And that's not to mention the overall quality of life there.

And the tornadoes that come through every week!
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:20 am

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Yes.  All of that.  Illinois isn't for everyone.  It has its warts, as we've seen.  But Illinois also comes with a nice bit of diversity and all of the perks of having a big city metropolis with all it has to offer.  I've seen "Hamilton" in Chicago twice.  I'm going to watch Kopech pitch tomorrow.  I take my boys into the city to wander and shop and let them play Pokemon Go.  None of that crap happens in Arkansas or Kentucky.  Every one of these alternative options comes with ups and downs, including ours.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:35 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Yes.  All of that.  Illinois isn't for everyone.  It has its warts, as we've seen.  But Illinois also comes with a nice bit of diversity and all of the perks of having a big city metropolis with all it has to offer.  I've seen "Hamilton" in Chicago twice.  I'm going to watch Kopech pitch tomorrow.  I take my boys into the city to wander and shop and let them play Pokemon Go.  None of that crap happens in Arkansas or Kentucky.  Every one of these alternative options comes with ups and downs, including ours.

And some of these people are naive enough to believe that Illinois is the only place in the nation with "corrupt" politicians.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 pm

alohafri wrote:Social media is flooded with comments from Illinois residents about how much they hate living here because of high taxes, etc. and how they can't wait to move. What the hell are you waiting for? Move or shut the fuck up!

OMG, this is my pet peeve!  My response is usually "don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out!"  Go.  Leave.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Some people are never happy, and think that all the good things they have will come with them wherever you go, and the bad will stay behind …..and there is no other badness that will occur to you. My Friend was telling me how he wants out of Illinois b/c "they are killing everyone around here"..until I pointed out to him that during our teens and 20s, WE were much more likely to be murdered than his kids are today ….Rob is right, if you want to not enjoy life, not have anything to do, not have anything exciting , or experiences, then move to a town of 10k....but don't think there isn't shit there too.

Shit or get off the pot! Ct-met-1201-chicago-homicides-chart
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 pm

alohafri wrote:

My aunt and her husband moved to South Carolina when he retired...because of everything you said.  And it was the worst decision they could have made...and she's kind of stuck there.  She lives just outside of Myrtle Beach.  Their house was cheap, but everything else is just as expensive as here, but the wages are much lower.  Since my uncle was retired and had a good pension, and part of his retirement package was free health insurance coverage unless either one of them took a job that offered healthcare coverage, at which time it would be revoked.  So they thought this was a great place to retired.  Then, my uncle committed suicide, and my aunt had to go to work...so they lost their free insurance.  And her wages were crap, so whenever they needed a home repair or a car repair, my dad had to send my aunt money.  My cousin and her son moved in with my aunt when she got divorced, and she decided to go to school to get a career rather than a job.  So she went to school to be a dental hygienist...and my aunt worked a low paying job to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.  After Melissa graduated, she couldn't get a job with any competitive compensation.  As it turns out, the dental hygiene school was in their town, so they had too many dental hygienists than jobs, and the jobs they had were low paying because of the proximity to the school.  Then Melissa went back to school to be a physical therapist.  As all of this is going on, Melissa gives birth to her second son who actually has even more medical problems than her first son.  Both sons are a medical mess.  So we tell my aunt that she should come up here because Melissa could get a job as a physical therapist or dental hygienist and made good money.  BUT, their house costs not much more than a trailer, so there's no way she'd be able to sell it and to buy somewhere to live in this area.  It's a mess.  Keep me here where there a good paying jobs, culture, GREAT restaurants, etc.  The resta yas can go to these awful southern red states.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:14 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

My aunt and her husband moved to South Carolina when he retired...because of everything you said.  And it was the worst decision they could have made...and she's kind of stuck there.  She lives just outside of Myrtle Beach.  Their house was cheap, but everything else is just as expensive as here, but the wages are much lower.  Since my uncle was retired and had a good pension, and part of his retirement package was free health insurance coverage unless either one of them took a job that offered healthcare coverage, at which time it would be revoked.  So they thought this was a great place to retired.  Then, my uncle committed suicide, and my aunt had to go to work...so they lost their free insurance.  And her wages were crap, so whenever they needed a home repair or a car repair, my dad had to send my aunt money.  My cousin and her son moved in with my aunt when she got divorced, and she decided to go to school to get a career rather than a job.  So she went to school to be a dental hygienist...and my aunt worked a low paying job to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.  After Melissa graduated, she couldn't get a job with any competitive compensation.  As it turns out, the dental hygiene school was in their town, so they had too many dental hygienists than jobs, and the jobs they had were low paying because of the proximity to the school.  Then Melissa went back to school to be a physical therapist.  As all of this is going on, Melissa gives birth to her second son who actually has even more medical problems than her first son.  Both sons are a medical mess.  So we tell my aunt that she should come up here because Melissa could get a job as a physical therapist or dental hygienist and made good money.  BUT, their house costs not much more than a trailer, so there's no way she'd be able to sell it and to buy somewhere to live in this area.  It's a mess.  Keep me here where there a good paying jobs, culture, GREAT restaurants, etc.  The resta yas can go to these awful southern red states.

We go to Myrtle for my kid's high school tourney each spring.  That place is a hellhole.  In fact, the drive through SC to get there is about the most depressing shit ever.  I'm sure there are nice areas, like Charleston and whatnot, but I'd not want to live in any portion of the state that I've seen.  I plan to check out Charleston next spring.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:04 pm

We go to Myrtle for my kid's high school tourney each spring.  That place is a hellhole. 

LOL ..my kid went there too ...spring training games ...froze my ass off and thought the place was crap. Kept wondering why people came her to vacation?  other than the million golf courses.   Do have a good baseball school tho - Coastal Carolina university 
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:31 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

We go to Myrtle for my kid's high school tourney each spring.  That place is a hellhole.  In fact, the drive through SC to get there is about the most depressing shit ever.  I'm sure there are nice areas, like Charleston and whatnot, but I'd not want to live in any portion of the state that I've seen.  I plan to check out Charleston next spring.

We spent a couple days in Charleston. I really liked it. Humid as fuck though.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:35 am

sharpy wrote:Some people are never happy, and think that all the good things they have will come with them wherever you go, and the bad will stay behind …..and there is no other badness that will occur to you. My Friend was telling me how he wants out of Illinois b/c "they are killing everyone around here"..until I pointed out to him that during our teens and 20s, WE were much more likely to be murdered than his kids are today ….Rob is right, if you want to not enjoy life, not have anything to do, not have anything exciting , or experiences, then move to a town of 10k....but don't think there isn't shit there too.

Shit or get off the pot! Ct-met-1201-chicago-homicides-chart

You know the difference, don't you? The 24 hour news cycle needs to talk about something! Back in the 70's, you'd get your news in either the paper or at 5, 6, and 10. Fucking Channel 9 has almost half of its day dedicated to the news...and I like Channel 9, but my God! I'm not one to beat up on the media, but these murders, which years ago would get a mention, are now covered for 10 minutes. Then they are picked up by national outlets like Fox which causes those who jerk off to pictures of Donald Trump to scream, "see? Chicago!"
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:22 am

And I kid you not when I say that people are thinking of Indiana as the promised land.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:00 am

alohafri wrote:And I kid you not when I say that people are thinking of Indiana as the promised land.

Indiana is a dump.  The minute you enter Indiana there are nothing but strip bar, fireworks, and Jesus billboards.  My favorite is the one that says "Jesus is real" on one side and "Hell is real" on the other.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 am

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:And I kid you not when I say that people are thinking of Indiana as the promised land.

Indiana is a dump.  The minute you enter Indiana there are nothing but strip bar, fireworks, and Jesus billboards.  My favorite is the one that says "Jesus is real" on one side and "Hell is real" on the other.

Those are here too...well, not the fireworks, yet at least.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content