Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

Just bragging

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Just bragging Empty Just bragging

Post by blondy28 Tue May 10, 2022 4:37 pm

Saturday, my son Jake graduated from UIC.  Took him 6 years (minute one semester off), but he did it.  Majored in English and minored in Political Science.  

My daughter is just finishing up her first year teaching French part-time at a Catholic school while going to grad school.  The Superintendent had been discussing a full-time position for her, and suggested that she teach 2 Spanish classes.  Before giving him an answer, the Superintendent advised the part-time Spanish teacher, who had been there for 14 years teaching Spanish full-time, that they wouldn't be renewing her contract.  Then they presented Gab with a full-time contract, that included her current load of French classes, and the two Spanish classes.  Gab decided not to sign the contract.  She said it would be too stressful to take on the 2 extra classes while she's finishing grad school.  The Superintendent was disappointed, and said he understood and he would give her a glowing recommendation.

Today, the Superintendent called Gab into his office and said he would give her 2 study halls, which would make her full-time.  It would more than double her salary, and allow her to do her grad school work during the study halls.  He said "I'm not going to make this easy for you.  We don't want to lose you."  She's been teaching for one year, and doesn't even have her teaching degree yet.

So it's been a proud couple of days at our house!
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Just bragging Empty Re: Just bragging

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed May 11, 2022 8:51 am

Nice!!!  It's so awesome when our young adult children become actual, functioning adults.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue May 17, 2022 6:42 pm

Congrats Blondy, you have all the reason to be proud and brag upon it.  Bragging on your kids is accepted and expected!
    My little girl is not so little anymore, turned 11 this past winter.  See how long we've been on this board?  I've been skiing since I was 11 years old and she started when she was 6.  She joined the race team this past year (which is on the late side for starting ski racing, they usually start at 6) and while she hasn't made it to the podium yet, she's become quite the skier, passes me up regularly on the black and double blacks.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed May 18, 2022 1:59 pm

jaywit wrote:Congrats Blondy, you have all the reason to be proud and brag upon it.  Bragging on your kids is accepted and expected!
    My little girl is not so little anymore, turned 11 this past winter.  See how long we've been on this board?  I've been skiing since I was 11 years old and she started when she was 6.  She joined the race team this past year (which is on the late side for starting ski racing, they usually start at 6) and while she hasn't made it to the podium yet, she's become quite the skier, passes me up regularly on the black and double blacks.

Also awesome, Jay.  Good job.  If she has the guts to ski blacks and double blacks, she'll grow up tougher for it.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Sun May 22, 2022 10:28 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:Congrats Blondy, you have all the reason to be proud and brag upon it.  Bragging on your kids is accepted and expected!

Also awesome, Jay.  Good job.  If she has the guts to ski blacks and double blacks, she'll grow up tougher for it.
    I had taken her on the steeps and she did ok but stayed behind me, making many turns.  Then she joins the ski team.  Two weeks later she and I go back to the steeps and she's pointing her tips straight down the hill.  Now she's one of those squirts that zip by the adults kicking up powder in her trail.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 pm

jaywit wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

I had taken her on the steeps and she did ok but stayed behind me, making many turns.  Then she joins the ski team.  Two weeks later she and I go back to the steeps and she's pointing her tips straight down the hill.  Now she's one of those squirts that zip by the adults kicking up powder in her trail.

Those little brats drive me crazy.  I take back what I said.  LOL.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue May 24, 2022 7:55 am

That's awesome, Jay!  We are not skiers in our family.  I grew up on ice skates, but the few times I went skiing I stayed on the bunny hill and thought I was going to die.  Getting off the lift while it's moving scared the shit out of me.  

The son of the people who live across the street is so good at snowboarding that he and his dad moved to Colorado a few years ago while the mother and daughter lived here.  They just sold their house, and will be moving to Colorado to support the son in his goal of making the olympics.  

Honestly, watching my kids compete on any level...good, bad, or just having fun...is one of the things I miss the most.  Enjoy every minute of that.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue May 24, 2022 8:07 am

blondy28 wrote:Saturday, my son Jake graduated from UIC.  Took him 6 years (minute one semester off), but he did it.  Majored in English and minored in Political Science.  

My daughter is just finishing up her first year teaching French part-time at a Catholic school while going to grad school.  The Superintendent had been discussing a full-time position for her, and suggested that she teach 2 Spanish classes.  Before giving him an answer, the Superintendent advised the part-time Spanish teacher, who had been there for 14 years teaching Spanish full-time, that they wouldn't be renewing her contract.  Then they presented Gab with a full-time contract, that included her current load of French classes, and the two Spanish classes.  Gab decided not to sign the contract.  She said it would be too stressful to take on the 2 extra classes while she's finishing grad school.  The Superintendent was disappointed, and said he understood and he would give her a glowing recommendation.

Today, the Superintendent called Gab into his office and said he would give her 2 study halls, which would make her full-time.  It would more than double her salary, and allow her to do her grad school work during the study halls.  He said "I'm not going to make this easy for you.  We don't want to lose you."  She's been teaching for one year, and doesn't even have her teaching degree yet.

Although they would be doubling Gab's salary, Gab told the superintendent that with gas prices, she would need more money.  She asked for an additional $5600.  The Superintendent said he would have to get that approved.  On Thursday, he told her it was approved, and she signed the contract.  Obviously I'm incredibly proud of her for being such a good teacher that they're bending over backward for her, but I'm super impressed with her negotiating skills and the courage, as a first year teacher without a teaching degree, to just go in there and fight for her worth.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue May 24, 2022 3:30 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Those little brats drive me crazy.  I take back what I said.  LOL.
    Yeah, they are annoying especially when I come upon a part of the hill that makes me timidly back off only to get smoked by 2 or 3 of them as they zip past me and demasculinize me.  

But for the first time ever, I've seen it from the other side when I'm skiing with her.  I see her catching up to a couple of guys who are starting to put on the brakes before the bottom of the hill drops away and she, in her light pink jacket, catches air as she zips past them. I see them turn their heads and watch.  I laugh internally in full knowledge of how they suddenly feel.  It's probably the only sport I know that's simultaneously exhilarating and humbling.  At the bottom I ask her if she noticed them and she said "yes, I got closer to them as I went by."
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue May 24, 2022 3:48 pm

blondy28 wrote:

That's awesome, Jay!  We are not skiers in our family.  I grew up on ice skates, but the few times I went skiing I stayed on the bunny hill and thought I was going to die.  Getting off the lift while it's moving scared the shit out of me.  

The son of the people who live across the street is so good at snowboarding that he and his dad moved to Colorado a few years ago while the mother and daughter lived here.  They just sold their house, and will be moving to Colorado to support the son in his goal of making the olympics.  

Honestly, watching my kids compete on any level...good, bad, or just having fun...is one of the things I miss the most.  Enjoy every minute of that.
    Wow, that's dedication on the part of your neighbors.  Hat's off to them but I don't know that I would agree to that extreme for my daughter.  Hannah has one more year where she can practice and compete while not having it interfere with schooling.  After that, ski team has mandatory practices 3 days per week and I suppose that's when the casually interested get weeded out for the serious minded and dedicated skiers.  I asked some other parents how they plan to keep their kids educated.  Most have said they find private schools with 4 day weeks.  

Aloha, your in the biz, how often do parents come to you trying to adjust their education schedule to meet the demands for outside activities?  Is there anything streamlined within your public school system or does each individual kid have to have some gerrymandered schedule?

At this point, Hannah's academics are far more important to me and her mom and unless Hannah develops a true passion for racing (not just skiing, but racing) and starts getting to the podium, next year will be her last year on the team.  Kind of difficult to fathom, if your not committed by age 13, your out.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue May 24, 2022 3:50 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:Saturday, my son Jake graduated from UIC.  Took him 6 years (minute one semester off), but he did it.  Majored in English and minored in Political Science.  

Although they would be doubling Gab's salary, Gab told the superintendent that with gas prices, she would need more money.  She asked for an additional $5600.  The Superintendent said he would have to get that approved.  On Thursday, he told her it was approved, and she signed the contract.  Obviously I'm incredibly proud of her for being such a good teacher that they're bending over backward for her, but I'm super impressed with her negotiating skills and the courage, as a first year teacher without a teaching degree, to just go in there and fight for her worth.
    Wow, even more reason to be proud.  Is she available for arbitration on behalf of this board's members?  Maybe she could be an agent.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:01 am

I'm just seeing this for some reason. Congratulations!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:07 am