Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

2 posters

Will someone please show me

alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Will someone please show me Empty Will someone please show me

Post by alohafri Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:25 am

Where in this tax amendment it says that the General Assembly gets the power to raise taxes where they don't already have it? Can someone show me where in the current Illinois Constitution it says that the General Assembly can't raise the state income tax without bringing it to the people first? I'm so confused because I was under the obviously erroneous delusion that the state has raised income tax numerous times since 1970.

Also, can we call it what it is? It's not a "fair" tax. It's not a "politician tax raising" tax. It's a "graduated income tax".
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Will someone please show me Empty Re: Will someone please show me

Post by blondy28 Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:15 am

alohafri wrote:Where in this tax amendment it says that the General Assembly gets the power to raise taxes where they don't already have it? Can someone show me where in the current Illinois Constitution it says that the General Assembly can't raise the state income tax without bringing it to the people first? I'm so confused because I was under the obviously erroneous delusion that the state has raised income tax numerous times since 1970.

Also, can we call it what it is? It's not a "fair" tax. It's not a "politician tax raising" tax. It's a "graduated income tax".

I'm not completely sure what you're asking, but I **think** it's a comment about the anti-fair tax people arguing that passing the amendment will give the state the power to raise taxes whenever they want, and that a yes vote is authorizing a "new tax".   Assuming so, I don't understand that talking point...or yard sign...except that they assume most of the electorate isn't actually going to read the proposed amendment and they'll just vote NO.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:31 am

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:Where in this tax amendment it says that the General Assembly gets the power to raise taxes where they don't already have it? Can someone show me where in the current Illinois Constitution it says that the General Assembly can't raise the state income tax without bringing it to the people first? I'm so confused because I was under the obviously erroneous delusion that the state has raised income tax numerous times since 1970.

I'm not completely sure what you're asking, but I **think** it's a comment about the anti-fair tax people arguing that passing the amendment will give the state the power to raise taxes whenever they want, and that a yes vote is authorizing a "new tax".   Assuming so, I don't understand that talking point...or yard sign...except that they assume most of the electorate isn't actually going to read the proposed amendment and they'll just vote NO.

That's what they are counting on. The "politicians" can raise our taxes anytime they want under the current system too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:21 pm