Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

3 posters

sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

1.00 Empty 1.00

Post by sharpy Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:22 pm

At 84 .. Bob Gibson -of pancreatic cancer diagnosed in July... 
    Remember like it was yesterday coming home from school and getting to see the the last half of game one of the 1968 world series when he struck out 17 Tigers... 
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

1.00 Empty Re: 1.00

Post by jaywit Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 am

sharpy wrote:At 84 .. Bob Gibson -of pancreatic cancer diagnosed in July... 
    Remember like it was yesterday coming home from school and getting to see the the last half of game one of the 1968 world series when he struck out 17 Tigers... 
    One of my favorite pitchers of all time.  He just threw harder than anyone else in the game.  RIP
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 am

I just read a story about Gibson that I tend to believe. He knew it was time to retire when he gave up a grand slam to the Cubs' Pete LaCock. He may have even have been the last batter he faced (I can't find the story to confirm it). Ten years later, in an Old Timers' Game, Gibson plunked LaCock. He said something to the effect of "I couldn't let him have the last word."
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:49 pm

alohafri wrote:I just read a story about Gibson that I tend to believe. He knew it was time to retire when he gave up a grand slam to the Cubs' Pete LaCock. He may have even have been the last batter he faced (I can't find the story to confirm it). Ten years later, in an Old Timers' Game, Gibson plunked LaCock. He said something to the effect of "I couldn't let him have the last word."

I heard the first part of your post, and yes, it was the last batter he faced. Hadn't heard the last part but firmly believe it. Also read today he knocked down Reggie Jackson in an old timers game.. LOL .. 
    The thing i always found funny was when he was being interviewed after his retirement, especially years back, when they mentioned he was a "head hunter" or "mean" or his penchant for throwing inside, the look on his face was like - "uh, yea, wTF do you think"?  "this is news"?  "what are u talking about head hunting"?   lol 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:31 am