Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

VP nomination

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

VP nomination Empty VP nomination

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:09 pm

VP.  Who's it gonna be.  Anyone sure who it'll be?  I'm sure not.  

My dark horse is Keisha Lance Bottoms, mayor of Atlanta.  Black, female, serious, and relatable.  
    Feels to me like Stacy Abrams is yesterday's news. 

I suspect pretty much all vetting of candidates involves asking if people can and will be able to envision this person being president, because of the expectation that Biden probably resigns or retires early, or chooses not to run for a second term and instead pushes his VP as the heir apparent.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

VP nomination Empty Re: VP nomination

Post by sharpy Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:53 pm

kamala harris ... anti-trump from day 1. Ballsy and sticks up for herself and her views. . only negative, not truly African american - but semantics to me 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:40 pm

sharpy wrote:kamala harris ... anti-trump from day 1. Ballsy and sticks up for herself and her views. . only negative, not truly African american - but semantics to me 

I like her a lot, Tim.  I think if I have a concern with her (as I do with everyone) it's that she really tanked in the primaries.  For whatever reason, folks didn't seem to see her as presidential material.  I did.  My concern is that whomever is the VP nomination will need to be seen by the general public as truly ready and capable of being president.  The only one who I thought got traction in the primaries was perhaps Warren, and I don't see her being put up as VP for a number of reasons.  I sort of think you have to find someone that the public will deem presidential who didn't run (and get killed) in the primaries.  Bottoms, Susan Rice, Abrams, Gretchen Whitmer, and a few others.  

That said, Tim, I really love Harris.  I won't be sad if she's the one.  I've heard one criticism of her from a few people saying she slept her way to the top.  I don't know much about how true that is but that comment came from some left leaning centrist types.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:11 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    sharpy wrote:kamala harris ... anti-trump from day 1. Ballsy and sticks up for herself and her views. . only negative, not truly African american - but semantics to me 

I like her a lot, Tim.  I think if I have a concern with her (as I do with everyone) it's that she really tanked in the primaries.  For whatever reason, folks didn't seem to see her as presidential material.  I did.  My concern is that whomever is the VP nomination will need to be seen by the general public as truly ready and capable of being president.  The only one who I thought got traction in the primaries was perhaps Warren, and I don't see her being put up as VP for a number of reasons.  I sort of think you have to find someone that the public will deem presidential who didn't run (and get killed) in the primaries.  Bottoms, Susan Rice, Abrams, Gretchen Whitmer, and a few others.  

That said, Tim, I really love Harris.  I won't be sad if she's the one.  I've heard one criticism of her from a few people saying she slept her way to the top.  I don't know much about how true that is but that comment came from some left leaning centrist types.

She's a senator  thats a hell of a lot of people to sleep with to get the votes to become a senator. She is likely to be viewed more presidential than the mayor of Atlanta - remember being a mayor killed Mayor Pete - who i think would be a good candidate, but I would prefer an African american or a woman....and also don't think people are ready for a gay president or vice-president.  Dennings would probably be fine, but to be honest, when she was being vetted my response was "who?" - zero name recognition. And I suspect zero name recognition from anyone outside her district in Florida .. They can claim she slept with anyone - and she still wouldn't be considered as big a slut as Trump.  As I said before, Biden, Harris, whoever - any sexual talk should yell "bring it on" and lets talk all about it 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:31 am

sharpy wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

She's a senator  thats a hell of a lot of people to sleep with to get the votes to become a senator. She is likely to be viewed more presidential than the mayor of Atlanta - remember being a mayor killed Mayor Pete - who i think would be a good candidate, but I would prefer an African american or a woman....and also don't think people are ready for a gay president or vice-president.  Dennings would probably be fine, but to be honest, when she was being vetted my response was "who?" - zero name recognition. And I suspect zero name recognition from anyone outside her district in Florida .. They can claim she slept with anyone - and she still wouldn't be considered as big a slut as Trump.  As I said before, Biden, Harris, whoever - any sexual talk should yell "bring it on" and lets talk all about it 

There has been talk that Kamala's demise was bots on Twitter.  She had been the first target due to her success in the first debate.  I thik Val Demmings has been good outside of impeachment, but she was terrible during the impeachment in the senate, and there's been some concern that as a former cop...even as a black cop...that it will be tough to have her on a ticket while demanding police reform.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:46 pm

I think she'd be better as AG.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:11 pm

alohafri wrote:

I have said previously that her questioning in the senate judiciary hearings has been outstanding.  I would say the best of any senator.  And I didn't think she was as strong at campaigning as she has been in the senate.  But saw this on twitter today, and I say bring on VP Harris:

https://twitter.com/dilemmv/status/1273879852320522241?s=20
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:39 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I have said previously that her questioning in the senate judiciary hearings has been outstanding.  I would say the best of any senator.  And I didn't think she was as strong at campaigning as she has been in the senate.  But saw this on twitter today, and I say bring on VP Harris:

https://twitter.com/dilemmv/status/1273879852320522241?s=20

I'm beginning to believe it'll be Harris, which would please me immensely.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:49 pm

With the current social circumstances, it would be absolutely foolish to not have an African American on the ticket for VP.  Among the possibilities, I'd guess Harris would be among the weakest at energizing the AA's to get to the polls.  Someone from the south would be better and preferably Georgia, Florida or Texas.  The dems already have California locked up with or without Harris.  I wouldn't mind seeing Harris as AG, either, and in the long run, that'd probably be better for the country than if she's VP.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 pm

jaywit wrote:With the current social circumstances, it would be absolutely foolish to not have an African American on the ticket for VP.  Among the possibilities, I'd guess Harris would be among the weakest at energizing the AA's to get to the polls.  Someone from the south would be better and preferably Georgia, Florida or Texas.  The dems already have California locked up with or without Harris.  I wouldn't mind seeing Harris as AG, either, and in the long run, that'd probably be better for the country than if she's VP.

There's a part of me that's 100% on board with your point about a southern black, but you definitely need someone that seems ready to step into the presidency from day one.  Harris fits that bill for me and for many.  Does Val Demmings?  Does Stacy Abrams?  I'm not sure on either.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:23 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:With the current social circumstances, it would be absolutely foolish to not have an African American on the ticket for VP.  Among the possibilities, I'd guess Harris would be among the weakest at energizing the AA's to get to the polls.  Someone from the south would be better and preferably Georgia, Florida or Texas.  The dems already have California locked up with or without Harris.  I wouldn't mind seeing Harris as AG, either, and in the long run, that'd probably be better for the country than if she's VP.

There's a part of me that's 100% on board with your point about a southern black, but you definitely need someone that seems ready to step into the presidency from day one.  Harris fits that bill for me and for many.  Does Val Demmings?  Does Stacy Abrams?  I'm not sure on either.

Agree.  Val Demmings is not as smooth.  I think you have to be when you're campaigning or debating (and I know the VP only has one debate and Pence is a borderline moron).  I've mentioned her performance on the senate impeachment trial, and I was not a fan. Some see her as perfect to swing Florida, as an African American and former cop.  Dunno about that.  Have never been overly impressed with Stacy Abrams.  She's fine, but doesn't wow me.  I think the strategy of picking someone from a swing state is overrated.  Who was the last president elected whose VP from a swing state swung an election? Maybe Kaine helped Hillary in Virginia, but he was an awful pick. Cheney wasn't from a swing state.  Biden wasn't from a swing state. Pence wasn't from a swing state.  I think Kamala is the one.

Last edited by blondy28 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:06 pm

Kinda liking Keisha Lance Bottoms - the mayor of atlanta = bright, smart, a lawyer , and I like what she said when they asked her if she would like to be a VP -

“I want Vice President Biden to choose the person who he thinks will help him best beat Donald Trump in November, and so if it’s me, I would be honored,” Bottoms told National Public Radio in April. “But if it’s a green martian that helps him get over the finish line, then I think that’s who he needs to go with.”

blondy28 likes this post

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:22 pm

sharpy wrote:Kinda liking Keisha Lance Bottoms - the mayor of atlanta = bright, smart, a lawyer , and I like what she said when they asked her if she would like to be a VP -

“I want Vice President Biden to choose the person who he thinks will help him best beat Donald Trump in November, and so if it’s me, I would be honored,” Bottoms told National Public Radio in April. “But if it’s a green martian that helps him get over the finish line, then I think that’s who he needs to go with.”

I just re-read Rob's post (before I scrolled down to your response), and I thought "I forgot about her".  I would put her in front of Abrams and Demmings for sure.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:47 pm

sharpy wrote:Kinda liking Keisha Lance Bottoms - the mayor of atlanta = bright, smart, a lawyer , and I like what she said when they asked her if she would like to be a VP -

She sounds like my kinda gal, Tim.  I've liked her all along and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're not VERY heavily vetting her right now for this.  I sort of expect that Harris and Bottoms are 1 and 2 right now.  I can see them going with Bottoms if they begin thinking Georgia is in play.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:12 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:

She sounds like my kinda gal, Tim.  I've liked her all along and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're not VERY heavily vetting her right now for this.  I sort of expect that Harris and Bottoms are 1 and 2 right now.  I can see them going with Bottoms if they begin thinking Georgia is in play.

Georgia won't be in play. They'll have one poll open for all dem counties.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:29 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Georgia won't be in play. They'll have one poll open for all dem counties.

Probably right.  And they'll do it in plain sight and not give a shit when progressives raise hell about it.  Liberal tears are their goal.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Starting to think Tammy Duckworth is the candidate, or at least the front runner.  She's too formidable for Tucker to be using reverse psychology so that the left will want to come to her defense after his absurd attacks so she'll be named the VP.  Why Tucker started attacking her is baffling.  I get that the strategy is to say that ALL democrats HATE America, so we can't elect someone who hates America, but attacking a purple heart war hero as "unpatriotic" seems like the dumbest thing the GOP could do.  She's on the short list, I would think...even before Tucker's rants.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:36 pm

blondy28 wrote:Starting to think Tammy Duckworth is the candidate, or at least the front runner.  She's too formidable for Tucker to be using reverse psychology so that the left will want to come to her defense after his absurd attacks so she'll be named the VP.  Why Tucker started attacking her is baffling.  I get that the strategy is to say that ALL democrats HATE America, so we can't elect someone who hates America, but attacking a purple heart war hero as "unpatriotic" seems like the dumbest thing the GOP could do.  She's on the short list, I would think...even before Tucker's rants.

I've more or less assumed that Carlson found out or heard some kind of inside information that it's going to be Tammy, and he's trying to build a coalition of people who have strongly negative feelings about her before she's even nominated.  I suspect this is because she is a candidate that they do NOT want as the VP running against them.  I've heard they are dying to have Susan Rice as VP nomination so that they can run against Benghazi and Obama and call her another Obama term.  That seems dumb to me, since he left office with a great approval rating, and hasn't exactly lost any respect since then.  I mean, how in the fuck is Trump going to run against her?  What kind of dumb shit can he say about a purple heart helicopter pilot female?  it'll work with his dumb base, but very few others.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:36 am

blondy28 wrote:Starting to think Tammy Duckworth is the candidate, or at least the front runner.  She's too formidable for Tucker to be using reverse psychology so that the left will want to come to her defense after his absurd attacks so she'll be named the VP.  Why Tucker started attacking her is baffling.  I get that the strategy is to say that ALL democrats HATE America, so we can't elect someone who hates America, but attacking a purple heart war hero as "unpatriotic" seems like the dumbest thing the GOP could do.  She's on the short list, I would think...even before Tucker's rants.

I read somewhere that the last time a military veteran ran on either position of either ticket was GWB.

And I would tune in if Cucker actually had Duckworth on his show. He wouldn't though. He'd never have anyone who opposes him who he knows is smarter than he is.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:55 pm

alohafri wrote:

I read somewhere that the last time a military veteran ran on either position of either ticket was GWB.

And I would tune in if Cucker actually had Duckworth on his show. He wouldn't though. He'd never have anyone who opposes him who he knows is smarter than he is.

I assume you're referring to Kerry?  He would have been the most recent veteran that wasn't captured. John McCain would have been the most recent veteran.

I heard David Duke said that Trump should ask Tucker Carlson to be his running mate in this election.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:18 pm

Tammy Duckworth?   I can hear the celebrations in Englewood, Hyde Park, jackson Park, The Watts, Compton, and Harlem all the way here in Ohio ..... fucking democrats are going to blow this 
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:32 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I assume you're referring to Kerry?  He would have been the most recent veteran that wasn't captured. John McCain would have been the most recent veteran.

I heard David Duke said that Trump should ask Tucker Carlson to be his running mate in this election.

Yes, I stand corrected. And I heard the same thing about Duke recommending Carlson. If Trump does that, it would cement his white supremacy standing, taking the recommendation of David Duke.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:42 pm

sharpy wrote:Tammy Duckworth?   I can hear the celebrations in Englewood, Hyde Park, jackson Park, The Watts, Compton, and Harlem all the way here in Ohio ..... fucking democrats are going to blow this 

The Democrats could literally dig John Kennedy out of his grave at Arlington and win this election. The problem from my skewed view on the other side of the aisle is that many in their base won't vote for someone that isn't as far left as they are. What kind of half-hearted endorsement is that group of dingbats "the Squad" giving Biden? The BLM and other, I'll call them anarchists, who are tearing down statues, not of Confederates, but of Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, and Fredrick freaking Douglass are going to cause many people in the center who don't like Trump to vote for Trump because they realize that you can't judge people from the 18th and 19th centuries on 21st century values.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:41 pm

alohafri wrote:
    sharpy wrote:Tammy Duckworth?   I can hear the celebrations in Englewood, Hyde Park, jackson Park, The Watts, Compton, and Harlem all the way here in Ohio ..... fucking democrats are going to blow this 

The Democrats could literally dig John Kennedy out of his grave at Arlington and win this election. The problem from my skewed view on the other side of the aisle is that many in their base won't vote for someone that isn't as far left as they are. What kind of half-hearted endorsement is that group of dingbats "the Squad" giving Biden? The BLM and other, I'll call them anarchists, who are tearing down statues, not of Confederates, but of Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, and Fredrick freaking Douglass are going to cause many people in the center who don't like Trump to vote for Trump because they realize that you can't judge people from the 18th and 19th centuries on 21st century values.

Last thing I heard out of AOC about Biden sounded like a pretty strong bit of support.  I've paid very little attention to anyone in that squad as of late.  I actually like the black lady in the squad, who is bald, and whose name escapes me.  I think she's smart and reasonable.  I heard her strongly supporting Biden.  I can't speak for what the others in that group think.  

Are they actually tearing down statues of Jeff, Wash and Douglass?  Or are there a few weirdos suggesting it?  I get it if there are a few stray folks who have concluded we need to apply some kind of modern day ethics to them, but that can't possibly be building enough momentum to make it happen.  

Still, I don't rule out that some day we'll come to some kind of national conclusion that it's time to remove those statues.  It'll likely be after my time, but just think...there was a time when you were a radical to suggest letting gay people be gay, or radical to suggest black folks ought to have rights, or radical to suggest that the confed flag was offensive.  When those things were first raised, people scoffed.  I don't say this to defend the "remove the statue" folks, but I think society evolves and we eventually change the way we think about things.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:43 pm

alohafri wrote:
    The Democrats could literally dig John Kennedy out of his grave at Arlington and win this election. The problem from my skewed view on the other side of the aisle is that many in their base won't vote for someone that isn't as far left as they are. 

I was a bit afraid of this a while back, around the time when the tide turned almost overnight toward Biden from Bernie.  I thought those Bernie people might sit it out and not participate and let the election fall to Trump.  over the past few months, I think even those VERY left folks have decided that this Trump bullshit is just way too much to bear.  I think those far left Bernie folks are going to vote for Biden because although they have a burn it all down mentality about the current state of government, they are scared out of their wits about another term of Trump.  

Aside from that, I'm sort of with you, Kevin.  I'm beginning to think they can run a bag of pig shit and win by 8% over Trump.  Trump gonna get his 44% or 45% almost for certain, but that appears to be his ceiling.  Biden ain't Hillary.  He's vanilla ice cream and kind of daft and goofy, but he can run circles around imbecile Trump on his worst day.  Barring some kind of Biden collapse, I'm more concerned about the senate.  It's been amazing to watch what the Repubs against Trump are doing on a daily basis in terms of their messaging.  Those guys are burning the whole fucking thing down.  These are hard core repubs that ragged on Obama and any other Dem for decades, and now they're saying to vote against ANY Repub who supported Trump, ever!  Commercials telling voters to remember the names of Joni Ernst, Sue Collins, McSally, McConnell and every other one of them. Basically, just burning down the whole fucking party that they've been a huge part of running for the last 30 yrs.  Nice to see a few with principles.  Of course, I'm taking a bit of guilty pleasure.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:29 am