Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

2 posters

Nomad's favorite

sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Nomad's favorite  Empty Nomad's favorite

Post by sharpy Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:47 pm

Detroit's and Nomad's favorite player - Al Kaline  = at 85 yrs old .. Nice life .

No mention of Covid as the cause 
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Nomad's favorite  Empty Re: Nomad's favorite

Post by jaywit Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:10 pm

Wish I could have seen him play.  I came into following baseball on the tail end of his career.  As a kid I read a biography of him.  Remember a story in which he collided with another outfielder (maybe Willie Horton?) and somehow "swallowed his tongue" and needed his teammate to stick his finger in his throat to relieve the obstruction.  As a medical professional I still can't picture what the hell he was talking about.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:44 pm

jaywit wrote:Wish I could have seen him play.  I came into following baseball on the tail end of his career.  As a kid I read a biography of him.  Remember a story in which he collided with another outfielder (maybe Willie Horton?) and somehow "swallowed his tongue" and needed his teammate to stick his finger in his throat to relieve the obstruction.  As a medical professional I still can't picture what the hell he was talking about.

Bizarrely, that was a regular threat of my mothers --- dont' be "running with that sucker, you'll swallow your tongue".  "Careful with that gum, you don't want to swallow your tongue".  "he got hit so hard I think he just swallowed his tongue"... god,, can hear her now

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:15 pm