Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

+2
sharpy
blondy28
6 posters

Recreational Marijuana in Illinois

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Recreational Marijuana in Illinois Empty Recreational Marijuana in Illinois

Post by blondy28 Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:02 pm

It's rather amusing reading about the township meetings where they're voting on whether or not they want to allow dispensaries in their towns.  The comments on these articles are a throwback to Reefer Madness.  The same cast of characters who defend a grifter like Trump, who's an actual threat to all of us, are absolutely beside themselves at the thought of weed being sold in Illinois.  Rob, I see your town voted to approve dispensaries.  Northbrook, I understand, approved it last night.  I've seen that there is a group of people who wear t-shirts and they go to all the township meetings to try to talk them into opposing it.  Makes me think of the dry towns.  Did they have fewer alcoholics or DUIs?  I think Wheaton was the last town to finally give up its "dry" status.  

My town voted to do more research.  I think that mayor Jim Schwantz, former 85 Bear, was the deciding vote on that.  We haven't had the actual vote yet.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Recreational Marijuana in Illinois Empty Re: Recreational Marijuana in Illinois

Post by sharpy Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:55 pm

My town voted to do more research

More Research???--- nobody high on weed every mass killed anyone. Nobody smoking weed ever beat his wife ….nobody high on weed ever raped anyone, started a fight, or began an argument …..However, I guess they will eat all your chips, cookies and fries … SO BAN IT!
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:29 pm

sharpy wrote:My town voted to do more research

More Research???--- nobody high on weed every mass killed anyone. Nobody smoking weed ever beat his wife ….nobody high on weed ever raped anyone, started a fight, or began an argument …..However, I guess they will eat all your chips, cookies and fries … SO BAN IT!

Yeah, I don't want no stoned dudes coming and eating all of my BBQ.  Yeah, the folks i know that smoke some weed don't really break that shit out until they're ready to curl up on their couch with a beer and something on the tv, so they ain't exactly a risk to society.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:30 pm

blondy28 wrote:It's rather amusing reading about the township meetings where they're voting on whether or not they want to allow dispensaries in their towns.  The comments on these articles are a throwback to Reefer Madness.  The same cast of characters who defend a grifter like Trump, who's an actual threat to all of us, are absolutely beside themselves at the thought of weed being sold in Illinois.  Rob, I see your town voted to approve dispensaries.  Northbrook, I understand, approved it last night.  I've seen that there is a group of people who wear t-shirts and they go to all the township meetings to try to talk them into opposing it.  Makes me think of the dry towns.  Did they have fewer alcoholics or DUIs?  I think Wheaton was the last town to finally give up its "dry" status.  

My town voted to do more research.  I think that mayor Jim Schwantz, former 85 Bear, was the deciding vote on that.  We haven't had the actual vote yet.

Yes, I believe I saw that St. Charles agreed by a 6-3 vote to allow two dispensaries.  One on each side of the Fox River.  Never been a fan of the stuff but glad for the folks that will be able to enjoy it legally.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:11 pm

Don't kid yourself folks...a lot of your Trumpers smoke weed by the truckload. He's big with the meth crowd too.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:34 am

sharpy wrote:My town voted to do more research

Their biggest issue they seem to have is that they believe it will lead to more people driving under the influence.  There are concerns about the inability to identify if someone is driving under the influence of pot.  With alcohol, you can test and know if they're legally drunk or not.  But weed stays in system longer, so someone who smoked weed the day before, and who's not under the influence when he's pulled over can test positive for it.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:15 am

I'm holding out for recreational LSD.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Isn't Illinois bankrupt or about to be?  This has been a huge cash cow for Washington.  Maybe the transition of the money from illegal hands to legal/taxable hands isn't sitting so well with those involved in the illegal distribution who are otherwise well-connected.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:39 pm

jaywit wrote:Isn't Illinois bankrupt or about to be?  This has been a huge cash cow for Washington.  Maybe the transition of the money from illegal hands to legal/taxable hands isn't sitting so well with those involved in the illegal distribution who are otherwise well-connected.

Not really bankrupt, but going in a direction that, if not addressed in short order, will be bankrupt.  I believe they are addressing it.  Not sure it's being addressed in a way that'll make everyone happy.  There's never a way to make everyone happy.  Agree, however.  I hear it's a cash cow everywhere.  Let's do it here, too.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:50 pm

alohafri wrote:I'm holding out for recreational LSD.
    I'll only use work related LSD.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:25 pm

I'll only use work related LSD.

Given your profession's use of acronyms, initials, nicknames, monikers and completely indecipherable notes - I figured LSD was already widely used …. Very Happy
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:13 pm

jaywit wrote:Isn't Illinois bankrupt or about to be?  This has been a huge cash cow for Washington.  Maybe the transition of the money from illegal hands to legal/taxable hands isn't sitting so well with those involved in the illegal distribution who are otherwise well-connected.

The anti-weed people say that the costs associated with the increased number of people driving under the influence makes up for any tax revenue.  Of course, this is when the pro-folks point out that just because you opt out of selling it doesn't mean that users won't be driving through your town so you end up with the additional expense without the revenue.

Yeah, our state has a bunch of problems with finances, which is why I don't get why the Republicans keep cutting taxes.  Our former governor, who was named the worst governor in the country by his own party, took office an immediately got rid of the state income tax that Governor Quinn put in place.  Our issues are not enough that we can save our way out of them.  If we got every dollar that we sent to Washington back, we wouldn't be in such bad shape, but while we're supporting South Carolina and Mississippi, on top of our own state, then it's definitely an uphill battle.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:07 am

sharpy wrote:I'll only use work related LSD.

Given your profession's use of acronyms, initials, nicknames, monikers and completely indecipherable notes - I figured LSD was already widely used …. Very Happy
    Well, at least we're not subjecting you to decipher the hieroglyphics of an ophthalmology note:  a 4th grade rendering of an eyeball with plus/minus signs, arrows, scratches, etc.  I swear some have probably forgotten some letters of the alphabet because they never use them.  Whenever I need to know what they did I have to ask the patient, "what did he/she tell you?" 
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:12 am

blondy28 wrote:

The anti-weed people say that the costs associated with the increased number of people driving under the influence makes up for any tax revenue.  Of course, this is when the pro-folks point out that just because you opt out of selling it doesn't mean that users won't be driving through your town so you end up with the additional expense without the revenue.

Yeah, our state has a bunch of problems with finances, which is why I don't get why the Republicans keep cutting taxes.  Our former governor, who was named the worst governor in the country by his own party, took office an immediately got rid of the state income tax that Governor Quinn put in place.  Our issues are not enough that we can save our way out of them.  If we got every dollar that we sent to Washington back, we wouldn't be in such bad shape, but while we're supporting South Carolina and Mississippi, on top of our own state, then it's definitely an uphill battle.
    Do any of your border states have legal weed?  If not, Illinois would likely get a ton of revenue from out of staters.  With Oregon recently becoming legal, Washington is watching to see how our income stream changes.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:41 pm

jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Do any of your border states have legal weed?  If not, Illinois would likely get a ton of revenue from out of staters.  With Oregon recently becoming legal, Washington is watching to see how our income stream changes.

Michigan voted for it on a ballot referendum, but I don't think they've started selling yet.  I think Colorado is the closest state to Illinois that sells it because my very good friend has a lot of medical issues and she wasn't able to get medical marijuana in Illinois, so she and her husband drove to Colorado a few months ago, and they'll probably have to make one more trip this year.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:57 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Michigan voted for it on a ballot referendum, but I don't think they've started selling yet.  I think Colorado is the closest state to Illinois that sells it because my very good friend has a lot of medical issues and she wasn't able to get medical marijuana in Illinois, so she and her husband drove to Colorado a few months ago, and they'll probably have to make one more trip this year.
    Even though it's legal in Washington, Idaho (where weed is not legal) has made it publicly known that transport of marijuana across state lines will be treated as a federal offense.  I don't know the laws regarding drugs/marijuana but the implication is that one would not be arrested for possession but instead arrested for possible selling and distribution.  Washingtonians with weed travelling into Idaho are careful not to speed or do anything else to be pulled over and potentially searched.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:46 pm

jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

Even though it's legal in Washington, Idaho (where weed is not legal) has made it publicly known that transport of marijuana across state lines will be treated as a federal offense.  I don't know the laws regarding drugs/marijuana but the implication is that one would not be arrested for possession but instead arrested for possible selling and distribution.  Washingtonians with weed travelling into Idaho are careful not to speed or do anything else to be pulled over and potentially searched.

Yeah, crossing state lines is problematic.  My friend is in her late 60s...her husband is 70, so we're not talking about 20 somethings who just want to get high.  When she told me that she had tried to get a medical marijuana card in Illinois and she wasn't able to get one, it shocked me.  She's a multi-time cancer survivor, she has diabetes, has issues with her eyes so she can't drive anymore (used to be just couldn't drive at night), but I think the condition that causes her the most pain is neuropathy in her feet.  You would think in blue state Illinois that it would be easier to get a medical marijuana card, but that program started under our Republican governor, who was kind of dragged kicking and screaming to support the law.  I can recall the annual list of ailments that people were trying to get added to the list of conditions that would qualify someone to get the card, and most of them were rejected.  There have been cases where kids with epilepsy weren't allowed to get medical marijuana even though evidence had shown that it substantially improved their quality of life.  As I recall, some of the issues around that centered on parents or school nurses having to administer the drug during school hours.  It still boggles my mind that people who have no problem administering very strong anti-seizure medication to young children balk at medical marijuana.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content