Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

Stand Your Ground

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Stand Your Ground Empty Stand Your Ground

Post by blondy28 Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:01 pm

Did I read that the cop in Texas who mistakenly went into the wrong apartment thinking it was hers, and who shot the homeowner dead is using "stand your ground" as her defense?  You can use stand your ground when you shoot someone to death on their "ground"?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Stand Your Ground Empty Re: Stand Your Ground

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:31 pm

I'm struggling to know where I stand on this whole case.  Do I think she meant to kill some neighbor dude?  No.  Not really.  It seems like an accident, although a grossly negligent accident.  Not saying there ought not be accountability and consequences, but it seems like a really dumb ass, stupid mistake.  I don't generally want to see someone spend prison time for stuff like this because I don't think she went out looking for trouble the way George Zimmerman did.  I bet she, for the moment in time when she shot this guy, felt actual fear.  Gotta figure she'll be sued into bankruptcy for this one but not sure I expect prison time.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I'm struggling to know where I stand on this whole case.  Do I think she meant to kill some neighbor dude?  No.  Not really.  It seems like an accident, although a grossly negligent accident.  Not saying there ought not be accountability and consequences, but it seems like a really dumb ass, stupid mistake.  I don't generally want to see someone spend prison time for stuff like this because I don't think she went out looking for trouble the way George Zimmerman did.  I bet she, for the moment in time when she shot this guy, felt actual fear.  Gotta figure she'll be sued into bankruptcy for this one but not sure I expect prison time.

Aside from the brief updates on the radio, where they report the day's news in under a minute, I don't recall the specifics of the case, but wasn't she under the influence of alcohol?

In any case, to me, this is more about the absurdity of stand your ground laws.  Zimmerman, but all accounts, was the aggressor, and he was following Trayvon, and Travyon decided to go after Zimmerman to protect himself, and because somewhere during that skirmish, Zimmerman apparently was afraid for his life, so the shooting was justified under stand your ground.  The fact that the shooter's level of fear is the primary bar in determining if killing is justified under stand your ground is ridiculous.  What if I'm an admitted racist.  That I actually FEAR brown people.  When I pass them on the street, I pull my purse close to me because I'm certain that they will try to mug me.  Now I'm walking down an alley and there's a brown person, and as he gets closer to me, I'm shaking...absolutely terrified...so I pull the legally obtained and carried weapon out of my purse and I shoot the brown person.  Doesn't stand your ground allow for such a scenario?
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:55 am

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:I'm struggling to know where I stand on this whole case.  Do I think she meant to kill some neighbor dude?  No.  Not really.  It seems like an accident, although a grossly negligent accident.  Not saying there ought not be accountability and consequences, but it seems like a really dumb ass, stupid mistake.  I don't generally want to see someone spend prison time for stuff like this because I don't think she went out looking for trouble the way George Zimmerman did.  I bet she, for the moment in time when she shot this guy, felt actual fear.  Gotta figure she'll be sued into bankruptcy for this one but not sure I expect prison time.

Aside from the brief updates on the radio, where they report the day's news in under a minute, I don't recall the specifics of the case, but wasn't she under the influence of alcohol?

In any case, to me, this is more about the absurdity of stand your ground laws.  Zimmerman, but all accounts, was the aggressor, and he was following Trayvon, and Travyon decided to go after Zimmerman to protect himself, and because somewhere during that skirmish, Zimmerman apparently was afraid for his life, so the shooting was justified under stand your ground.  The fact that the shooter's level of fear is the primary bar in determining if killing is justified under stand your ground is ridiculous.  What if I'm an admitted racist.  That I actually FEAR brown people.  When I pass them on the street, I pull my purse close to me because I'm certain that they will try to mug me.  Now I'm walking down an alley and there's a brown person, and as he gets closer to me, I'm shaking...absolutely terrified...so I pull the legally obtained and carried weapon out of my purse and I shoot the brown person.  Doesn't stand your ground allow for such a scenario?

I see where you're coming from and agree.  We're generally allowed to defend ourselves, so I don't really comprehend the need for SYG laws anyway.  If you attack me and I fear for my life, I think I'm ok to use deadly force to defend myself with or without the SYG laws in place.  I hope that law doesn't allow us to go out looking for trouble so that we can kill someone and cite the statute, but that appears to be what happened in Zimmerman's case.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:36 pm

You sure are a nice person. Let me ask you this. How drunk would you have to be to not recognize within 5 minutes the house you walked into wasn't yours? Think you just might notice the rug was not your rug? Or, when you saw the black dude in his undies on the couch, do ya think you may notice that couch isn't your couch? Or the TV isn't your TV? And maybe the drapes don't register with you? And if you see a guy sitting in his undies, where are you picturing him hiding a weapon? "Is that a gun? Or are you just happy to see me?"  And let's say you ARE drunk enough to not recognize any of this....should you really be carrying a gun???  Maybe she's not a racist, idk, but she is a person who took another persons life on purpose and for no reason. Not a lawyer so don't know if that's murder, but it ain't excusable.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:50 pm

sharpy wrote:

You sure are a nice person. Let me ask you this. How drunk would you have to be to not recognize within 5 minutes the house you walked into wasn't yours? Think you just might notice the rug was not your rug? Or, when you saw the black dude in his undies on the couch, do ya think you may notice that couch isn't your couch? Or the TV isn't your TV? And maybe the drapes don't register with you? And if you see a guy sitting in his undies, where are you picturing him hiding a weapon? "Is that a gun? Or are you just happy to see me?"  And let's say you ARE drunk enough to not recognize any of this....should you really be carrying a gun???  Maybe she's not a racist, idk, but she is a person who took another persons life on purpose and for no reason. Not a lawyer so don't know if that's murder, but it ain't excusable.

I've not been following it very closely, Tim, other than hearing about it in passing and on other occasions.  I can't make a logical argument against anything you just said, but it seems like an accident based on significant negligence.  Was she drunk or high or something?  I've wondered the same things you wondered.  I guess I just don't know for certain that she did this with criminal intent.  Seems more like fucking dumbass intent.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:59 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    sharpy wrote:

I've not been following it very closely, Tim, other than hearing about it in passing and on other occasions.  I can't make a logical argument against anything you just said, but it seems like an accident based on significant negligence.  Was she drunk or high or something?  I've wondered the same things you wondered.  I guess I just don't know for certain that she did this with criminal intent.  Seems more like fucking dumbass intent.
    I know very little about this case having seen bits and pieces on the nightly news.  From what I've heard her tell, I thought the charges would be more along the lines of manslaughter rather than outright murder.  Lawyer Frank or Bobby if he's out there lurking, why was murder the charge in this case?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:55 pm