Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

Tea Party

alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Tea Party Empty Tea Party

Post by alohafri Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:14 am

Where has our resident Tea Party member been since they raised the debt limit to unlimited status? He should be blasting the move like the (alleged) economic conservative he is. Joe Walsh is blasting it. 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Tea Party Empty Re: Tea Party

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:36 am

The Tea Party was mostly a religious and cultural dogma group, pretending to be an economic group.  Every time there was polling in an effort to find commonality among them, the most common thread was a desire among them for more religion and prayer in school and a strong opposition to marriage equality.  They had economic issues and budget concerns as a common thread, too, but not on the same level as the religious/cultural issues.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:22 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:The Tea Party was mostly a religious and cultural dogma group, pretending to be an economic group.  Every time there was polling in an effort to find commonality among them, the most common thread was a desire among them for more religion and prayer in school and a strong opposition to marriage equality.  They had economic issues and budget concerns as a common thread, too, but not on the same level as the religious/cultural issues.

Now it's easy to tell who were the economic hawks.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:34 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:The Tea Party was mostly a religious and cultural dogma group, pretending to be an economic group.  Every time there was polling in an effort to find commonality among them, the most common thread was a desire among them for more religion and prayer in school and a strong opposition to marriage equality.  They had economic issues and budget concerns as a common thread, too, but not on the same level as the religious/cultural issues.

Yeah.  Pretty much nobody.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:32 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I would say anyone who voted "no" on this issue. Oh, and the "pro-life" President is going to keep funding Planned Parenthood when he signs this bill. Where are the evangelical whores now?
    joepoe
    joepoe
    Not a Fanboy

Post by joepoe Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:48 pm

They need an unlimited debt ceiling because Medicare and Social Security are set to grow by an even greater degree over the next 20 years as more baby boomers retire. In 2005, 5000 baby boomers retire every day. We are now at 10,000 a day and will peak at 12,000 a day by 2025.
    The government has done nothing to address this (and other) problems, so unlimited debt is convenient way to kick the can down the road.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:56 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I would say anyone who voted "no" on this issue. Oh, and the "pro-life" President is going to keep funding Planned Parenthood when he signs this bill. Where are the evangelical whores now?

Yeah, but he's capping food stamps for household incomes of $32,640+ for a family of 4, so you don't get much more "pro-life" than that.  Honestly, since Illinois passed a minimum wage of $40,000 for teachers, and my daughter is going to be a teacher, I wondered how she could possibly live on that, and she's ONE person!  Student loan payment, she'll have to buy a car and pay for car insurance and her cell phone and housing and renter's insurance and WIFI and utilities and more than likely school supplies for her students, toiletries, and if the ACA is overturned, she'll have to pay for her own health insurance and medical care.  The wage gap is getting wider, and Trump and the GOP are trying to eliminate all the benefits for those who can't support themselves.  It boggles my mind.  I've been on my own since I was 20, but there's no way I would be able to do that these days.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:02 pm

joepoe wrote:They need an unlimited debt ceiling because Medicare and Social Security are set to grow by an even greater degree over the next 20 years as more baby boomers retire. In 2005, 5000 baby boomers retire every day. We are now at 10,000 a day and will peak at 12,000 a day by 2025.
    The government has done nothing to address this (and other) problems, so unlimited debt is convenient way to kick the can down the road.

I don't really understand how we can have a debt limit.  To me, if we pass a deficit budget then that ought to be enough to take on the debt.  We passed a budget that we knew was going to be upside down, so why a vote to determine if we're going to actually pay the bills?  WTF?
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    joepoe wrote:They need an unlimited debt ceiling because Medicare and Social Security are set to grow by an even greater degree over the next 20 years as more baby boomers retire. In 2005, 5000 baby boomers retire every day. We are now at 10,000 a day and will peak at 12,000 a day by 2025.

I don't really understand how we can have a debt limit.  To me, if we pass a deficit budget then that ought to be enough to take on the debt.  We passed a budget that we knew was going to be upside down, so why a vote to determine if we're going to actually pay the bills?  WTF?

I had never even heard of a debt ceiling until Obama was elected and they wanted to screw over the country to prevent him from getting any "victories".
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

I had never even heard of a debt ceiling until Obama was elected and they wanted to screw over the country to prevent him from getting any "victories".

yeah, it was a relatively unheard of thing until taking it seriously meant the GOP could fuck with Obama.  Anything to fuck with Obama.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:14 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

yeah, it was a relatively unheard of thing until taking it seriously meant the GOP could fuck with Obama.  Anything to fuck with Obama.
    Did you hear Trump's latest slam on Obama?  He had a maintenance team that did something to the Air conditioning in the West Wing that messed it up and it hasn't been working since.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:53 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:

I bring it up only because the Tea Party ran on the issue and now, what, it doesn't matter?
    joepoe
    joepoe
    Not a Fanboy

Post by joepoe Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:34 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

I bring it up only because the Tea Party ran on the issue and now, what, it doesn't matter?

I guess not. They lost a lot of political clout especially since the GOP ignored their fiscal conservative stance and hooked up with the Dems to pass that big appropriations bill. And we still don't have an infrastructure package or sensible immigration reform.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:39 pm

alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

Did you ever actually think that they really cared about that issue?  Or reducing the size of government?  I generally feel that the GOP's values are based on whatever they think they could use to get elected.  The bumper sticker party.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:07 pm

joepoe wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:

I guess not. They lost a lot of political clout especially since the GOP ignored their fiscal conservative stance and hooked up with the Dems to pass that big appropriations bill. And we still don't have an infrastructure package or sensible immigration reform.

Joe, I'm convinced that neither party wants to come to agreement on things like immigration, abortion, gun control, etc. because they need their bases fired up about something.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:41 pm

Joe, I'm convinced that neither party wants to come to agreement on things like immigration, abortion, gun control, etc. because they need their bases fired up about something.

They should be able to come to a compromise on 2 of these 3 issues 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 pm

sharpy wrote:Joe, I'm convinced that neither party wants to come to agreement on things like immigration, abortion, gun control, etc. because they need their bases fired up about something.

They should be able to come to a compromise on 2 of these 3 issues 

That's kind of my observation as well, although it's possible that I'm seeing it in terms of the compromises that *my* side would make and the side that won't compromise are probably the "fire up their bases" side.  I've heard multiple variations on guns that aren't "we're going to take your guns away", common sense things and the NRA won't let it even be part of the discussion.  Maybe now that they're floundering we could actually get something done with that.  All Obama wanted was to STUDY gun violence to see where we can best make meaningful changes that would make a difference, and they wouldn't give him even that.   The way you fix abortion is to prevent unwanted pregnancy.  Safe, legal, and rare.  I don't see any means to compromise on immigration in today's Trump world.  That's all about racism.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content