Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

Tyler Skaggs

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Tyler Skaggs Empty Tyler Skaggs

Post by blondy28 Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 pm

27.  Wow...too young.  Takes me back to Darryl Kyle being found dead in his hotel room in Chicago.  Too bad.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Tyler Skaggs Empty Re: Tyler Skaggs

Post by alohafri Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:12 am

blondy28 wrote:27.  Wow...too young.  Takes me back to Darryl Kyle being found dead in his hotel room in Chicago.  Too bad.

That's the immediate thought I had too Blondy.

I wonder if there was some undiagnosed medical condition.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:55 am

Shocking.  RIP.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:41 pm

alohafri wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:27.  Wow...too young.  Takes me back to Darryl Kyle being found dead in his hotel room in Chicago.  Too bad.

That's the immediate thought I had too Blondy.

I wonder if there was some undiagnosed medical condition.

Sadly, not an undiagnosed medical condition...choked on his own vomit.  Read the family is looking at legal action against someone in the Angels' system.  Just awful.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Sadly, not an undiagnosed medical condition...choked on his own vomit.  Read the family is looking at legal action against someone in the Angels' system.  Just awful.

that's the same diagnosis as Keith Moon, John Bonham and Mama Cass … sounds alcohol or drug related.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:43 pm

sharpy wrote:Sadly, not an undiagnosed medical condition...choked on his own vomit.  Read the family is looking at legal action against someone in the Angels' system.  Just awful.

that's the same diagnosis as Keith Moon, John Bonham and Mama Cass … sounds alcohol or drug related.

Yes.  Alcohol, OxyContin, and Fentanyl in his system.  The suggestion in the statement from his family is that he got the drugs from someone in the Angels' system.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:41 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    sharpy wrote:Sadly, not an undiagnosed medical condition...choked on his own vomit.  Read the family is looking at legal action against someone in the Angels' system.  Just awful.

Yes.  Alcohol, OxyContin, and Fentanyl in his system.  The suggestion in the statement from his family is that he got the drugs from someone in the Angels' system.

The stories that came out in the last couple of days are so sad and troubling, and I gotta say I think the Angels are lying about how much they knew.  And I can't believe that Skaggs' wife didn't know.  I mean, I guess since he spent much of his time on the road, I suppose it would be easier to hide.  And if Kay is to be believed, after his overdose, his mother told the team that they needed to step in so Skaggs didn't keep asking him for drugs.  Kay obviously knew how to obtain drugs illegally, so was he an addict before Skaggs, and got Skaggs hooked?  Or the other way around?  Or they both got caught up?  Seems like they needed each other.  Kay got the drugs, Skaggs paid for the drugs.  Is it possible that the opioid epidemic is as prevalent in baseball as it was in football?  I wouldn't have thought so.  Former players claimed that they would get shot up with something at halftime so they could go out and play, and they didn't know they were being made addicts.  While there are certainly injuries in baseball, it's not a full contact sport where just about everyone is hurting after each game, but still, I would think that there's more of this going on than people know.  Kay mentions 5 other players, it certainly goes on.  I'm so square...I would never buy illegal drugs, so I would use my prescription and when it was gone, I'd have to wait for my next refill.  That kept me sober about half the month.  That also kept me from ever really having issues of withdrawal because I didn't take drugs consistently enough for it to bring on withdrawal.  And I wasn't snorting or smoking or shooting.  Just good old fashion pills, washed down with a glass of water.  I think the culpability is precarious at best...especially given that the alcohol may have been the thing that caused him to vomit.  He didn't die of an overdose, he died from choking on his vomit.  I really hope the Angels are investigated, and I hope the names of the other players are brought to light so the Angels and their families can make sure they get the help they need.  This disease does not discriminate.  Rich, poor, talented, famous, doesn't matter.  

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/13/tyler-skaggs-death-investigation-latest

In other related news, I watched several of the Demi Moore intereviews on her new book, and how she gave up her sobriety for Ashton.  She told Diane Sawyer she would take 12 pills a day and Diana was SHOCKED. Puhleaze.  I could do 12 pills standing on my head.  42 vicodin in one day...that's my record. Topped it off with valium and ambien.  And I'm half Demi's size.  

I'm slightly torn, because I know so many people with chronic or acute pain and they can't get pain pills.  Some of those folks commit suicide from the pain.  There's no easy answers.

Back to Skaggs.  His family shouldn't sue.  He was an adult.  But the Angels needs to disclose who else is wrapped up in this before more young men die.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:02 am

Geezus, Pam.  42 vicodin in a day?  I didn't know that someone could do that and remain alive.  I take one and I'm flying and happy.  In fact, I'm so square and paranoid about my health that I break my vicodins in half and take a half of a vicodin (and that works) when I am hurting.  I hope you're past this problem now.  I believe you noted a while back that you are.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Geezus, Pam.  42 vicodin in a day?  I didn't know that someone could do that and remain alive.  I take one and I'm flying and happy.  In fact, I'm so square and paranoid about my health that I break my vicodins in half and take a half of a vicodin (and that works) when I am hurting.  I hope you're past this problem now.  I believe you noted a while back that you are.

You never really get past the problem.  It's always with you.

42 vicodin in one day wasn't a regular occurrence, but I would take 3-5 pills at once, and that would continue throughout the day.  With Tramadol, I would take 7-10 at once.  I was getting prescriptions from two doctors.  I didn't doctor shop...I actually saw both doctors for issues that I'm dealing with even today.  I was seeing a neurologist for migraines.  I was seeing her for 2 years before I was diagnosed with cancer.  After cancer and all those surgeries, it really messed up my back, and when I had a sciatic issue that was constant pain, I saw a rheumatologist.  The neurologist would prescribe 90 vicodin/month.  Rheumatologist would prescribe 180 tramadol each month, with a vicodin prescription for really bad days.  When I ran out (and yes, I would run out in about two weeks), I would drink alcohol.  Not everyday...every few days just to get me to my next refill.  Even though alcohol was not my drug of choice, I still consider it the most dangerous and the one I'm most afraid of, simply because I can get it whenever I want.  I haven't had a drop of alcohol for 6 years.  I have had pain meds several times since I got sober in 2013 for various ailments.  Sometimes I take as directed, sometimes not so much, but I can't really get into too much trouble with a prescription for 15 pills.  Last year my son had his wisdom teeth pulled and they gave him 10 tylenol with codeine, and he took 5, so I kept the other 5, and they lasted for over a year.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:03 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Geezus, Pam.  42 vicodin in a day?  I didn't know that someone could do that and remain alive.  I take one and I'm flying and happy.  In fact, I'm so square and paranoid about my health that I break my vicodins in half and take a half of a vicodin (and that works) when I am hurting.  I hope you're past this problem now.  I believe you noted a while back that you are.

42 vicodin in one day wasn't a regular occurrence, but I would take 3-5 pills at once, and that would continue throughout the day.  With Tramadol, I would take 7-10 at once.  I was getting prescriptions from two doctors.  I didn't doctor shop...I actually saw both doctors for issues that I'm dealing with even today.  I was seeing a neurologist for migraines.  I was seeing her for 2 years before I was diagnosed with cancer.  After cancer and all those surgeries, it really messed up my back, and when I had a sciatic issue that was constant pain, I saw a rheumatologist.  The neurologist would prescribe 90 vicodin/month.  Rheumatologist would prescribe 180 tramadol each month, with a vicodin prescription for really bad days.  When I ran out (and yes, I would run out in about two weeks), I would drink alcohol.  Not everyday...every few days just to get me to my next refill.  Even though alcohol was not my drug of choice, I still consider it the most dangerous and the one I'm most afraid of, simply because I can get it whenever I want.  I haven't had a drop of alcohol for 6 years.  I have had pain meds several times since I got sober in 2013 for various ailments.  Sometimes I take as directed, sometimes not so much, but I can't really get into too much trouble with a prescription for 15 pills.  Last year my son had his wisdom teeth pulled and they gave him 10 tylenol with codeine, and he took 5, so I kept the other 5, and they lasted for over a year.

I knew you went through a rough patch with this stuff, but didn't realize the extent.  Sorry to hear how difficult it was, but glad you seem to be staying the recovery course.  I'm still a nervous nelly when I take just a single pill (Norco or Vicodin), which I only do when the pain of one of my sports injuries REALLY flares up.  I hope you can stay sober another 50 yrs.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:04 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

I knew you went through a rough patch with this stuff, but didn't realize the extent.  Sorry to hear how difficult it was, but glad you seem to be staying the recovery course.  I'm still a nervous nelly when I take just a single pill (Norco or Vicodin), which I only do when the pain of one of my sports injuries REALLY flares up.  I hope you can stay sober another 50 yrs.

When you come to addiction as a result of a chronic pain condition, there's a mental hurdle that you have to accept before you can even attempt to get sober, and that's an acceptance that you will be in pain...maybe for the rest of your life.  And that's why I have NO DESIRE to be sober for another 50 years...not because I wouldn't want to be sober, but I don't want to live for another 50 years.  Thinking about living until I'm 60 gives me anxiety.  I'm so broken down...I have the body of a 90 year old.  I'm in constant pain.  On the weekends, I don't really get out of bed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:24 am