Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

Top 10 Guitar Players of All Time

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Top 10 Guitar Players of All Time Empty Top 10 Guitar Players of All Time

Post by blondy28 Mon May 27, 2019 1:11 pm

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Top 10 Guitar Players of All Time Empty Re: Top 10 Guitar Players of All Time

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon May 27, 2019 4:50 pm

I never thought of Richards as a great guitarist so much as a guitarist in a great group.  Santana and Prince are great.  Frampton might be great, but I didn't follow him very closely.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Mon May 27, 2019 5:21 pm

BB King admitted he couldn't play any chords .. only notes - so he's out.
    Tom Morello IS one oft he great guitarists, as is Prince 
    Peter Frampton almost single handedly killed rock with that awful live album of his 
    Terry Kath should be on the list ...and likely in the top 5 
    Chuck Berry was the greatest and most important figure in rock and roll ..but a great guitarist?? mmmmm
     Just my humble opinion 
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Mon May 27, 2019 7:58 pm

sharpy wrote:BB King admitted he couldn't play any chords .. only notes - so he's out.
    Peter Frampton almost single handedly killed rock with that awful live album of his 
    Chuck Berry was the greatest and most important figure in rock and roll ..but a great guitarist?? mmmmm
     Just my humble opinion 

Any list that doesn't include Kath is a joke.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon May 27, 2019 9:08 pm

sharpy wrote:BB King admitted he couldn't play any chords .. only notes - so he's out.
     Just my humble opinion 

Is it me or did they just decide to forget about Kath because he wasn't around very long?  What's the deal.  I believe I recall seeing a top 100 list in Rolling Stone about a year ago and not seeing Kath in the first 60 or so, and just kind of laughing to myself.  

Agree on Morello.  

Maybe Berry is just getting respect for his influence.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon May 27, 2019 9:13 pm

For those of you that enjoy Page and Led Zeppelin, and who live in the Chicago area, there is a tremendous Zep tribute band called Kashmir that has a lead guitar dude that hits every note as if he's Page, circa 1973.  I've seen them maybe a dozen times in the past 8 yrs or so, and have taken many a friend to see them, all of whom couldn't believe a guy this good is playing in a tribute band.  They have two different guys that sing lead for them and you never know which one they will bring to their shows.  If you get the good one, they're incredible, especially for the 10-15 bucks I drop on them.  If they bring the lesser singer, it's still worth it for the great job they do getting the exact sound of early Zeppelin, which has a certain roughness and fuzziness to it.  Plus, maybe you'll see me at the show!
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Mon May 27, 2019 11:01 pm

I've seen this list...it pretty much sucks. Totally agree that Kath was tremendous but would debate if should have been on it...I mean 10 is a pretty short list and there's a shitload of great players...that said Hendrix loved his playing. I also didn't see Frampton listed on the top ten so I dunno where his name is coming from. I'd also strike King, Berry, Richards Townsend and even Van Halen. All players I enjoy but not top 10 material

I'd flip Eric and Jimi and make Eric #1. Yeah yeah yeah...i know my Cream fetish and all that....but that's just it...Cream was but a small part of Eric's overall career and it's his 50+ years body of work and all that diversity he's shown that makes him trump Jimi in the end. I love Jimi dearly...he was amazing and a supreme innovator but man...he was cut down way too soon and his legacy, while tremendous, pales in the face of Eric's.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue May 28, 2019 7:11 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
     Just my humble opinion 

Is it me or did they just decide to forget about Kath because he wasn't around very long?  What's the deal.  I believe I recall seeing a top 100 list in Rolling Stone about a year ago and not seeing Kath in the first 60 or so, and just kind of laughing to myself.  

Agree on Morello.  

Maybe Berry is just getting respect for his influence.

Kath was around longer than Hendrix was. Maybe not an "influential" guitarist, but great nevertheless.

I LOVE The Who, but would put Terry on this list above Townshend.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 pm

The other guy not on the list, and maybe should be, is Mick Taylor .. the 2nd stones guitarist after Jones died.  Richards has dubbed him as one of the best he's ever seen and/or played with.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue May 28, 2019 10:12 pm

And lets not forget the 2 Albert's ….albert King - who in my mind, rivals Hendrix for best lefty guitarist, and Albert Collins - who is also great and does the best Sweet Home Chicago live take..
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm

And why is Steve Howe from Yes regularly left off of these lists?
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:15 pm

alohafri wrote:And why is Steve Howe from Yes regularly left off of these lists?

Yes never gets much love ….
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:04 pm

sharpy wrote:
    alohafri wrote:And why is Steve Howe from Yes regularly left off of these lists?

Yes never gets much love ….

The man could play...still can.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:54 am

Howe was amazing. Still is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:24 am