Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

Alert

alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Alert Empty Alert

Post by alohafri Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Today's alert was a tremendous alert. Probably the best alert in the history of America. I wouldn't doubt if history refers to me as the "Alert President." But I'm sure the liberal media will find something wrong with it. 
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Alert Empty Re: Alert

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:13 pm

Didn't bother me, but I've seen a lot of folks complaining.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:55 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Didn't bother me, but I've seen a lot of folks complaining.

I have no idea why. Some people will complain about anything. I read that the women on The View were bitching about it. Wasn't this started by the Bush administration, furthered by Obama, and finally put into effect under Trump? Good God! This isn't his initiative! I'm not one to use this bullshit term, but maybe there is something to this "Trump Derangement Syndrome."
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:20 am

What alert?  
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:23 am

sharpy wrote:What alert?  

I don't think it went out to rotary kitchen wall phones.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 am

alohafri wrote:

I have no idea why. Some people will complain about anything. I read that the women on The View were bitching about it. Wasn't this started by the Bush administration, furthered by Obama, and finally put into effect under Trump? Good God! This isn't his initiative! I'm not one to use this bullshit term, but maybe there is something to this "Trump Derangement Syndrome."

I think it's because it's against one's will.  Alerts have always been on the radio or TV.  Having it come to your cell phone without being able to opt out seems intrusive.   I have no problem with the system, but I would like to have the ability to opt out in a similar manner that one register for the do no call list.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:31 am

blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I think it's because it's against one's will.  Alerts have always been on the radio or TV.  Having it come to your cell phone without being able to opt out seems intrusive.   I have no problem with the system, but I would like to have the ability to opt out in a similar manner that one register for the do no call list.

Should we call you when the missiles start coming?  tongue
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 am

alohafri wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Should we call you when the missiles start coming?  tongue

Good point.  I kind of like the National Broadcast aspect and don't mind having my personal space infringed upon with these messages, but I feel that way based on thinking we're a nation whereby the greater good is supposed to carry at least some weight in the discussion.  Granted, that's idealistic and in the Trump era it's almost laughable, but I figure that if we are under an actual attack or there's a legit emergency, we ought to all be properly warned and notified for the safety of ourselves, our kids, our neighbors, and fellow Americans. Even if I don't want that warning coming to my phone, I don't consider the US gov't to be out of order to declare that if we under emergency, you're getting notified, like it or not, because you may be needed to help a child or elderly person in need that might otherwise not know to go and help...all for the good of the nation.  I would think it would be especially important for folks near coasts where tsunamis happen, or near big cities where a nuke could be detonated and immediate shelter is needed.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Should we call you when the missiles start coming?  Alert Icon_tongue

Please do, on the kitchen rotary phone m, so I can hide under my desk, which I've been practicing since elementary school. Bout time I get to show off my skills 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:58 pm

sharpy wrote:Should we call you when the missiles start coming?  Alert Icon_tongue

Please do, on the kitchen rotary phone m, so I can hide under my desk, which I've been practicing since elementary school. Bout time I get to show off my skills 

Exactly.  What am I going to do if there are missiles coming?  Run?  Go to Costco and make sure I have enough bottled water and duct tape?  Seems like anything that would require immediate action by me is more than likely a weather emergency, and that's local.  And if there's a tornado coming, I will have been alerted to it several hours earlier when my power went out, as it always does as soon as a drop of rain hits.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:19 pm

There are more potential nat'l emergencies than just a nuke.  There could be a chemical weapon warning not to come outside, or instructions on how to self treat if you've been affected.  There could be a mass terrorist mailing of some kind of poison followed by a national message telling you not to open your mail.  Something could be wrong with the water system due to terror and the message would alert you immediately not to drink it.  Not to mention flying monkeys, swarms of killer bees, alien invasions, people wandering your neighborhood in clown make up, or Mormons going door to door.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:30 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:There are more potential nat'l emergencies than just a nuke.  There could be a chemical weapon warning not to come outside, or instructions on how to self treat if you've been affected.  There could be a mass terrorist mailing of some kind of poison followed by a national message telling you not to open your mail.  Something could be wrong with the water system due to terror and the message would alert you immediately not to drink it.  Not to mention flying monkeys, swarms of killer bees, alien invasions, people wandering your neighborhood in clown make up, or Mormons going door to door.
    Everyone knows the protocol for flying monkeys.  Get a bucket of water and throw it on the witch.  Cans and cans of raid for killer bees.  Wait for our smelly atmosphere to kill the aliens.  Noxema attack the clowns.  

No answer for the Mormons.  They win.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:35 pm

I had long ago forgotten about this alert.  I wouldn't be surprised if Trump had forgotten about it too.  I am willing to bet millions of Creams dollars that when Trump's phone buzzed, one of his first thoughts was to look into how he could get on that instead of Twitter.  You look at some of the comments from his cult followers, you can see they were hoping for the same. 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:There are more potential nat'l emergencies than just a nuke.  There could be a chemical weapon warning not to come outside, or instructions on how to self treat if you've been affected.  There could be a mass terrorist mailing of some kind of poison followed by a national message telling you not to open your mail.  Something could be wrong with the water system due to terror and the message would alert you immediately not to drink it.  Not to mention flying monkeys, swarms of killer bees, alien invasions, people wandering your neighborhood in clown make up, or Mormons going door to door.

I'm pretty sure the Jehovah's Witnesses are more the door-to-door folks.  

No, I get that there are other things, but if I'm inside and I'm not supposed to go outside, I'm going to hear about it before I go outside.  When I'm home, unless I'm sleeping, I have the radio or TV on.  Always.  If I'm at work, I have the radio on.  If I'm out and about shopping, I figure most others at Jewel would get the alert, and I might catch wind of it while I'm in the 15 items or less line.  There are things we all need to know for our safety...I just can't think of one that requires me to get a text message.  At least with an Amber Alert, time is of the essence...I totally get that.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:35 pm

blondy28 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Jehovah's Witnesses are more the door-to-door folks.  

No, I get that there are other things, but if I'm inside and I'm not supposed to go outside, I'm going to hear about it before I go outside.  When I'm home, unless I'm sleeping, I have the radio or TV on.  Always.  If I'm at work, I have the radio on.  If I'm out and about shopping, I figure most others at Jewel would get the alert, and I might catch wind of it while I'm in the 15 items or less line.  There are things we all need to know for our safety...I just can't think of one that requires me to get a text message.  At least with an Amber Alert, time is of the essence...I totally get that.

Jehovah's folks.  That's right.  I was thinking I might be wrong about the Mormons, but couldn't remember the other religion that does door to door.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:07 am

blondy28 wrote:
    sharpy wrote:Should we call you when the missiles start coming?  Alert Icon_tongue

Exactly.  What am I going to do if there are missiles coming?  Run?  Go to Costco and make sure I have enough bottled water and duct tape?  Seems like anything that would require immediate action by me is more than likely a weather emergency, and that's local.  And if there's a tornado coming, I will have been alerted to it several hours earlier when my power went out, as it always does as soon as a drop of rain hits.

I'm planning on grabbing some cockroaches and hiding in the nearest Chicago bungalow, the only two things that are expected to survive.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:09 am

On a serious note, it's the same concept as the Amber Alerts I get on my phone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 pm