Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

Sinclair

blondy28
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Sinclair

Post by blondy28 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:34 pm

This whole Sinclair business is chilling.
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy Apprentice

Re: Sinclair

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Most folks are too oblivious to even realize it.  They are doing their jobs and living their lives.  People don't have the time to read up on all of this shit and be aware of the attempts to brainwash them.  It is chilling, just as you say.
    blondy28
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by blondy28 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:26 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Most folks are too oblivious to even realize it.  They are doing their jobs and living their lives.  People don't have the time to read up on all of this shit and be aware of the attempts to brainwash them.  It is chilling, just as you say.

My Board President is someone that anyone who grew up in Chicago would know.  He's a former anchor for WGN, and a Republican, but of the sensible variety.  I don't know who he voted for...he only told me he voted for neither Trump nor Hillary.  I asked him his thoughts about what's going on with Sinclair, and he echoed our concerns as citizens, but also spoke about it as a journalist.  He said "it's easy for me to say 'I'd quit', but that might be easier said than done".  Are there any legitimate conservative journalists that think this is OK?  The contracts that Sinclair makes its employees sign is disturbing, too.   My conservative mother in law is here and we were talking about this, and she's horrified.
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:38 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Most folks are too oblivious to even realize it.  They are doing their jobs and living their lives.  People don't have the time to read up on all of this shit and be aware of the attempts to brainwash them.  It is chilling, just as you say.

My Board President is someone that anyone who grew up in Chicago would know.  He's a former anchor for WGN, and a Republican, but of the sensible variety.  I don't know who he voted for...he only told me he voted for neither Trump nor Hillary.  I asked him his thoughts about what's going on with Sinclair, and he echoed our concerns as citizens, but also spoke about it as a journalist.  He said "it's easy for me to say 'I'd quit', but that might be easier said than done".  Are there any legitimate conservative journalists that think this is OK?  The contracts that Sinclair makes its employees sign is disturbing, too.   My conservative mother in law is here and we were talking about this, and she's horrified.

None of this is surprising.  Money controls everything and is why our reps don't vote for our interests and instead vote for what the corporate donors want.  Now money can control our access to news.  Doesn't affect me much.  I know where to get fairly reliable news, but the average person just flips on the TV and accepts what they are being told.  Nothing wrong with that.  Most people don't have the time or desire to dig into who is the most reliable source, but it'll be a shame to see them turn into an uninformed voter.
    cream919
    Not a Fanboy

Post by cream919 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:06 am

but the average person just flips on the TV and accepts what they are being told.  Nothing wrong with that.  

*************************************************************************************

The fuck there isn't. I mean really Rob...think about it. Not everybody is as well read and, for the most part, as reasonable as you are. Or as intelligent either for that matter...and don't let that go to your head because you could certainly use a bit more street smarts. The point being that less "involved" or intelligent people...well we know who they tend to turn on their tv and get their news from and it's exactly this kind of thing that got that deplorable, mentally ill egomaniac a seat in the oval office. In short there IS something wrong with that. Very wrong!!!
    alohafri
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by alohafri on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:18 am

There were a few Sinclair stations and anchors that refused to read the script handed them by the powers that be. There is still some journalistic integrity out there. The interesting thing to see will be if these anchors keep their jobs.
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:33 am

cream919 wrote:but the average person just flips on the TV and accepts what they are being told.  Nothing wrong with that.  

*************************************************************************************

The fuck there isn't. I mean really Rob...think about it. Not everybody is as well read and, for the most part, as reasonable as you are. Or as intelligent either for that matter...and don't let that go to your head because you could certainly use a bit more street smarts. The point being that less "involved" or intelligent people...well we know who they tend to turn on their tv and get their news from and it's exactly this kind of thing that got that deplorable, mentally ill egomaniac a seat in the oval office. In short there IS something wrong with that. Very wrong!!!

I get where you're coming from.  Fair points.  I'm really only noting that there's nothing wrong with folks that turn on standard news and have a tendency to generally believe what they hear.  Not talking about the mouth-breathing folks that turn on Fox and believe and parrot everything they see and hear there.  I'm talking about the way my mom and dad took in the news.  They worked all day and came home and turned on the channel 7 news and yelled at us while trying to hear what they missed in the world that day.

And we can all use a bit more street smarts.
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am

alohafri wrote:There were a few Sinclair stations and anchors that refused to read the script handed them by the powers that be. There is still some journalistic integrity out there. The interesting thing to see will be if these anchors keep their jobs.

Likely not.  I hear there is a swelling movement to push advertisers not to spend money to advertise with Sinclair as long as they are going to push a non-journalistic agenda, I guess similar to the push to get Laura Ingraham's advertisers to pull off of her show.  That seems to have worked quite nicely.  It's also worked nicely to get some corporations to un-couple with the NRA.  Good to see.
    telefrank
    Not a Fanboy

Post by telefrank on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:36 pm

It's not really news when the outcome is already figured out. 

Here's the real problem. The FCC was set up to protect the airwaves of radio and TV. One of the first things they did was to set limits on ownership. Making it impossible for one company to have more than one radio and one TV station in each market. It was realized that it would be bad for one voice to be the only voice that would be heard. They changed that and made some dual ownerships possible within limits. Here in Chicago CH.5 NBC also owns and operates WSNS CH.44. CH.32 does the same with WPWR CH.50. I'm not even going to touch on the new digital stations that operate on sub channels.

If Sinclair is allowed to go thru with the purchase of Tribune Media's 42 stations it will have coverage of 70% of the country. Thats WGN TV & Radio here in Chicago. Currently that is against the rules. BUT the moron in chief places a new head of the FCC soon after he is in office. Seems we may be getting new rules about ownership. New rules that are apparently going to help a company that went out of it's way to help the fucking idiot in the oval office. 

Got 19 minutes. Heres something to watch about Sinclair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtNyOzGogc

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 pm