Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

2 posters

YOGI !

FMB1432
    Not a Fanboy

YOGI ! Empty YOGI !

Post by FMB1432 Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:02 pm

Am 2/3 way through 'Yogi". One of the best I've read in years.
    As a White Sox fan, most of what I remember was him hitting pitches over his head and outside the strike and knocking them out of the park.

I never realized that for the longest time he was the third highest paid player in baseball and played more games than any Yankee besides Gehrig. Was voted 1, 2, 3, or 4 in the MVP voting in his second 4 years. Also was a frequent holdout.

An equally interesting aspect was the sociological aspect. Growing up in an Italian neighborhood (Dago Hill) across the street from his best friend, Joe Garagiola. He was the son of immigrants and after he quit school, his father, as he had with his three older brothers said " a man doesn't support his family playing games!". They were responsible for him being able to play baseball.

it deals with the issues Italian Americans dealt with at the start of WWII. He was at Normandy.
    And he was generally considered the most popular player in baseball, including by the umpires.

I never realize the jibes and name calling he endured. At 5'8" and 185 las with a big nose and long arms. He was called a gorilla and players would hang from the dugout and mock him. Yet he married a beautiful girl and they were together for 65 years. 

Even if you're not a big baseball fan, you will enjoy this.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

YOGI ! Empty Re: YOGI !

Post by alohafri Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:40 pm

Is this a new book Frank or is it an older one you just picked up? 
    FMB1432
    Not a Fanboy

Post by FMB1432 Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:13 pm

alohafri wrote:Is this a new book Frank or is it an older one you just picked up? 
    Copyright 2020
    Jon Pessah is author.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am