Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox


    the fucked up left

    Share
    avatar
    sharpy
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 105
    Join date : 2017-05-10

    the fucked up left

    Post by sharpy on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:35 pm

    Got a friend who used to be a staunch libertarian, or in other words, a fairly right leaning republican. Over the past dozen years or so, she has altered her line of thinking, and altho not a commie card carrying liberal, realizes that the GOP has gone off the rails, and possibly society all working together to better everyone instead of everyone for themselves, might not be a bad thing to do. So, she has become liberal and one of the groups she has been a big supporter of has been MoveOn.org.  She has donated to them, gone door-door for them and for the past 2 elections, she has actually driven poor people and people of color from their home to the voting booths to get out the vote under their banner. 

    Anyway, she recently received an email from MoveOn.org asking for money for the Hurricane victims. She politely said "no", stating that Texans have always talked about hating government handouts, had mock votes of secession, and have had their representatives and senators vote against helping both Katrina victims and Hurricane Sandy victims in New Jersey, so in her opinion, they should reap what they sow and they deserve no help from other states b/c they have offered none, or agreed to any in the past.  

    Well, this didn't sit well with the libs - they responded with a hateful email and denounced her, telling her that she would no longer be receiving their emails and no longer, essentially, a part of the tribe. - this is another snapshot event that shows the idiocy on both sides - the stuck mindset and the reluctance to cut anybody any slack whatsoever (if not 100% with us, ur OUT), and a bad sign for any type of reconciliation between the two camps - somewhere, there has to be a "middle of the road" bubble that can rise and work to compromise 
    avatar
    alohafri
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 236
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Age : 50
    Location : Between Sarah Michelle Gellar's Legs

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by alohafri on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:53 pm

    sharpy wrote:Got a friend who used to be a staunch libertarian, or in other words, a fairly right leaning republican. Over the past dozen years or so, she has altered her line of thinking, and altho not a commie card carrying liberal, realizes that the GOP has gone off the rails, and possibly society all working together to better everyone instead of everyone for themselves, might not be a bad thing to do. So, she has become liberal and one of the groups she has been a big supporter of has been MoveOn.org.  She has donated to them, gone door-door for them and for the past 2 elections, she has actually driven poor people and people of color from their home to the voting booths to get out the vote under their banner. 

    Anyway, she recently received an email from MoveOn.org asking for money for the Hurricane victims. She politely said "no", stating that Texans have always talked about hating government handouts, had mock votes of secession, and have had their representatives and senators vote against helping both Katrina victims and Hurricane Sandy victims in New Jersey, so in her opinion, they should reap what they sow and they deserve no help from other states b/c they have offered none, or agreed to any in the past.  

    Well, this didn't sit well with the libs - they responded with a hateful email and denounced her, telling her that she would no longer be receiving their emails and no longer, essentially, a part of the tribe. - this is another snapshot event that shows the idiocy on both sides - the stuck mindset and the reluctance to cut anybody any slack whatsoever (if not 100% with us, ur OUT), and a bad sign for any type of reconciliation between the two camps - somewhere, there has to be a "middle of the road" bubble that can rise and work to compromise 

    Damn! Your friend is on to something. If everyone finds out how easy it is to get off of mailing lists, we will live happier lives.
    avatar
    blondy28
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 138
    Join date : 2017-05-06

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by blondy28 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:07 pm

    sharpy wrote:Got a friend who used to be a staunch libertarian, or in other words, a fairly right leaning republican. Over the past dozen years or so, she has altered her line of thinking, and altho not a commie card carrying liberal, realizes that the GOP has gone off the rails, and possibly society all working together to better everyone instead of everyone for themselves, might not be a bad thing to do. So, she has become liberal and one of the groups she has been a big supporter of has been MoveOn.org.  She has donated to them, gone door-door for them and for the past 2 elections, she has actually driven poor people and people of color from their home to the voting booths to get out the vote under their banner. 

    Anyway, she recently received an email from MoveOn.org asking for money for the Hurricane victims. She politely said "no", stating that Texans have always talked about hating government handouts, had mock votes of secession, and have had their representatives and senators vote against helping both Katrina victims and Hurricane Sandy victims in New Jersey, so in her opinion, they should reap what they sow and they deserve no help from other states b/c they have offered none, or agreed to any in the past.  

    Well, this didn't sit well with the libs - they responded with a hateful email and denounced her, telling her that she would no longer be receiving their emails and no longer, essentially, a part of the tribe. - this is another snapshot event that shows the idiocy on both sides - the stuck mindset and the reluctance to cut anybody any slack whatsoever (if not 100% with us, ur OUT), and a bad sign for any type of reconciliation between the two camps - somewhere, there has to be a "middle of the road" bubble that can rise and work to compromise 

    I gotta say that it seems that donations to/help from private groups is actually consistent with what their asshat, anti-government intervention hypocrite senators and reps believe in.  If the victims should benefit by private donations, that would not be "reaping what they sow"...it would be "evidence" that we don't need the government to use our taxpayer dollars to pay for any kind of disaster relief.   So I would say that your friend's logic is flawed.  But I do get the overall concept.  I boycott red states because I refuse to put my hard earned dollars into an economy whose policies are contrary from my own.  What I don't get is why she didn't just choose not to donate?  Why did she respond to the e-mail at all?  Just ignore it...the same way I ignore all those porn e-mails that I get.
    avatar
    cream919
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 69
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Location : Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by cream919 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:53 pm

     Just ignore it...the same way I ignore all those porn e-mails that I get.


    **********************************************************************************


    You didn't seem to have a problem answering the one I sent you!  Twisted Evil
    avatar
    blondy28
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 138
    Join date : 2017-05-06

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by blondy28 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:06 pm

    cream919 wrote: Just ignore it...the same way I ignore all those porn e-mails that I get.


    **********************************************************************************


    You didn't seem to have a problem answering the one I sent you!  Twisted Evil

    Where's the Seka's Bedroom board when you need it????!!!!
    avatar
    cream919
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 69
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Location : Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by cream919 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:59 am

    I mentioned Seka to the administrator when he was first slapping together this board for the anti-Karkites. He obviously feels that there wasn't any need for some perfumed bordello for our little collection of rogues and scoundrels to retire to whenever other board matters became too stressful or heated. He's chosen to leave us without a sanctuary. The bastard. Mad  

    In all seriousness regarding the topic at hand. Ok...I admit to a certain lack of empathy for what Texans have gone through with this awful storm. And yeah...I feel guilty about it too but it is what it is. I HATE feeling this way because so many fine and innocent people are suffering. But ya know what? Much of the deep south...particularly Texas...has gone out of its way to be obnoxious and downright hateful when it comes to government and the assistance it gives to people in need. Remember when that insufferable Rick Perry even spoke of secession? Hey Ricky...how's your thoughts on secession working out for you? Care to pop off about it NOW? Didn't think so.   

    When things aren't going so well these tea-bagger pricks suddenly cop a bit of a different attitude when they have to wade in shit themselves. Kinda like when Mr. far-right Conservative raises hell about government-sponsered health care.....until someone they love gets sick or is in a horrible accident and doesn't have any insurance. THEN it's a horse of a different color.  

    I'm a giving sort. I've donated time and what little money I can afford many times to good causes and individuals with little thought to their politics or religious beliefs or lack thereof. Not a problem...I like helping people out. That said...this thing is different. The problems I have with the hypocrites, bigots, homophobes, chauvinists and hateful blowhards who live down there give this tragedy a whole special atmosphere of its own. Sorry. 

    So to the Rick Perrys, Ted Cruzes, George Bushes, Joel Olsteens and the whole fucking bunch of ya and your blind followers...what can I tell ya? It's bootstrap time!!
    avatar
    SoxIlliniRob
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 236
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Age : 51
    Location : Saint Charles, IL

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:16 am

    blondy28 wrote:

    I gotta say that it seems that donations to/help from private groups is actually consistent with what their asshat, anti-government intervention hypocrite senators and reps believe in.  If the victims should benefit by private donations, that would not be "reaping what they sow"...it would be "evidence" that we don't need the government to use our taxpayer dollars to pay for any kind of disaster relief.   So I would say that your friend's logic is flawed.  But I do get the overall concept.  I boycott red states because I refuse to put my hard earned dollars into an economy whose policies are contrary from my own.  What I don't get is why she didn't just choose not to donate?  Why did she respond to the e-mail at all?  Just ignore it...the same way I ignore all those porn e-mails that I get.

    Interesting.  So, Pam, do you guys avoid vacationing in red states?  How does this work?  I never really considered something like this, but I must admit it always kind of creeps me out to go into deep red areas on our various vacations.  We haven't ever altered where we vacation and/or spend our dollars during a trip for purely political reasons, but the thought of spending time in places like Alabama or Mississippi or Texas doesn't particularly appeal to us in the first place, so they won't be receiving any of our money anytime soon.
    avatar
    telefrank
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 32
    Join date : 2017-05-06
    Location : Portage Park

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by telefrank on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:57 am

    avatar
    blondy28
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 138
    Join date : 2017-05-06

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by blondy28 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:31 pm

    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:

    I gotta say that it seems that donations to/help from private groups is actually consistent with what their asshat, anti-government intervention hypocrite senators and reps believe in.  If the victims should benefit by private donations, that would not be "reaping what they sow"...it would be "evidence" that we don't need the government to use our taxpayer dollars to pay for any kind of disaster relief.   So I would say that your friend's logic is flawed.  But I do get the overall concept.  I boycott red states because I refuse to put my hard earned dollars into an economy whose policies are contrary from my own.  What I don't get is why she didn't just choose not to donate?  Why did she respond to the e-mail at all?  Just ignore it...the same way I ignore all those porn e-mails that I get.

    Interesting.  So, Pam, do you guys avoid vacationing in red states?  How does this work?  I never really considered something like this, but I must admit it always kind of creeps me out to go into deep red areas on our various vacations.  We haven't ever altered where we vacation and/or spend our dollars during a trip for purely political reasons, but the thought of spending time in places like Alabama or Mississippi or Texas doesn't particularly appeal to us in the first place, so they won't be receiving any of our money anytime soon.

    As you mentioned, in most cases red states don't particularly appeal to me in general.  It helps that Nevada went from red to blue.  I do have some exceptions.  Weddings, funerals, or conferences (work or otherwise) where I have no flexibility on location.  Aside from the fact that I hate EVERYTHING about the University of Kentucky, and that it violates my policy, going there for college was Gab's choice, so had to put Kentucky in one of my exceptions.  I could not have been happier when she hated it and came home. Since Jake did not return to St. Norbert, Wisconsin is a non-issue, unless I were ever to be inclined to go to Milwaukee for a Cubs' game...then I would have to reject that opportunity.  We are having my father in law's burial in Wisconsin in October, so I will be attending that.  I have a friend in Michigan and before the election had plans to make plans for a visit...scrapped those.  My Aunt lives in Myrtle Beach, and I will not go there.  Her husband killed himself and services were in Tennessee, so I was able to go since it fits into my wedding/funeral/conference exception.  I went to a breast cancer conference in Dallas many years ago.  Fortunately, we are BROKE and can barely venture out of the house, let alone travel, but for the most part, since there's nothing I would care to do in a red state, it's been a fairly easy boycott to uphold.
    avatar
    SoxIlliniRob
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 236
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Age : 51
    Location : Saint Charles, IL

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 pm

    Dang.  That's a lot to keep track of.  I'm more inclined to avoid blood-red states, such as the Dakotas or the deep south.  I'd avoid Wyoming and/or Utah, but I just love the national parks there too much to really adhere to such a ban. When we travel, I generally avoid doing anything in the very red states, other than to pass through them on my way to somewhere I want to visit.  Fortunately this summer, our family trip was to Cali, Vegas, and a day in Utah, but the day in Utah was to spend a day in Zion Nat'l Park.  Definitely had a weird feel spending last year Thanksgiving week in the Smokey Mts right after Trump won the election.  Half a week in NC and the other in Tenn.  Mostly did our own thing without interacting with the locals.  Lots of hiking and sightseeing.

    Sponsored content

    Re: the fucked up left

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 am