Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox


  • Post new topic
  • Reply to topic

Quintana moved to the Cubs

Share
avatar
SoxIlliniRob
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 236
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Saint Charles, IL

Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:51 am

I guess it finally happened.  I hope the prospects they got for him are worth it.
avatar
blondy28
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 138
Join date : 2017-05-06

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by blondy28 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I guess it finally happened.  I hope the prospects they got for him are worth it.

The Cubs got smoked.  I'm shocked that Theo would make this trade.   Apparently he wants to surpass the Lou Brock trade as the worst in history.  Quintana is hot garbage.

frank bonifacic
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 75
Join date : 2017-05-05

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:22 pm

blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:I guess it finally happened.  I hope the prospects they got for him are worth it.

The Cubs got smoked.  I'm shocked that Theo would make this trade.   Apparently he wants to surpass the Lou Brock trade as the worst in history.  Quintana is hot garbage.
Theo concerned brewers were looking at Quintana as we're Yankees and astros. Have to remember Sox got "prospects" and prospects are prospects not MLB players.
Quintana is immediately Cubs third best pitcher - at worst!
He will help them. He is a really good pitcher and niw he goes against NL teams with no DH and gets to face pitchers.
I'd be willing to bet that you will eat those words by season end

frank bonifacic
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 75
Join date : 2017-05-05

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:35 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:I guess it finally happened.  I hope the prospects they got for him are worth it.

The Cubs got smoked.  I'm shocked that Theo would make this trade.   Apparently he wants to surpass the Lou Brock trade as the worst in history.  Quintana is hot garbage.
Theo concerned brewers were looking at Quintana as we're Yankees and astros. Have to remember Sox got "prospects" and prospects are prospects not MLB players.
Quintana is immediately Cubs third best pitcher - at worst!
He will help them. He is a really good pitcher and niw he goes against NL teams with no DH and gets to face pitchers.
I'd be willing to bet that you will eat those words by season end
Dan plesac was just raving - giving Cubs credit for beating Brewers to punch. Also said this may jumpstart Cubs as they return from AS break and see a player like Quintana in clubhouse

frank bonifacic
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 75
Join date : 2017-05-05

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:56 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
frank bonifacic wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:I guess it finally happened.  I hope the prospects they got for him are worth it.

The Cubs got smoked.  I'm shocked that Theo would make this trade.   Apparently he wants to surpass the Lou Brock trade as the worst in history.  Quintana is hot garbage.
Theo concerned brewers were looking at Quintana as we're Yankees and astros. Have to remember Sox got "prospects" and prospects are prospects not MLB players.
Quintana is immediately Cubs third best pitcher - at worst!
He will help them. He is a really good pitcher and niw he goes against NL teams with no DH and gets to face pitchers.
I'd be willing to bet that you will eat those words by season end
Dan plesac was just raving - giving Cubs credit for beating Brewers to punch. Also said this may jumpstart Cubs as they return from AS break and see a player like Quintana in clubhouse
Just listened to another guy on high heat . Said Dix didn't get enough- hexeould have wanted Ian Hspp. Said Cubs don't need to worry about prospects with guys they have on team. Plus Quintana is owed a TOTAL of 30 million in next THREE years
avatar
blondy28
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 138
Join date : 2017-05-06

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by blondy28 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:23 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
frank bonifacic wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:I guess it finally happened.  I hope the prospects they got for him are worth it.

The Cubs got smoked.  I'm shocked that Theo would make this trade.   Apparently he wants to surpass the Lou Brock trade as the worst in history.  Quintana is hot garbage.
Theo concerned brewers were looking at Quintana as we're Yankees and astros. Have to remember Sox got "prospects" and prospects are prospects not MLB players.
Quintana is immediately Cubs third best pitcher - at worst!
He will help them. He is a really good pitcher and niw he goes against NL teams with no DH and gets to face pitchers.
I'd be willing to bet that you will eat those words by season end
Dan plesac was just raving - giving Cubs credit for beating Brewers to punch. Also said this may jumpstart Cubs as they return from AS break and see a player like Quintana in clubhouse

Heard a jackass Cubs fan say they liked the move because now we are guaranteed two wins against the Sox this year.  The only thing I like about this trade is that at least they didn't make it for Verlander.
avatar
SoxIlliniRob
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 236
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Saint Charles, IL

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:I guess it finally happened.  I hope the prospects they got for him are worth it.

The Cubs got smoked.  I'm shocked that Theo would make this trade.   Apparently he wants to surpass the Lou Brock trade as the worst in history.  Quintana is hot garbage.
Theo concerned brewers were looking at Quintana as we're Yankees and astros. Have to remember Sox got "prospects" and prospects are prospects not MLB players.
Quintana is immediately Cubs third best pitcher - at worst!
He will help them. He is a really good pitcher and niw he goes against NL teams with no DH and gets to face pitchers.
I'd be willing to bet that you will eat those words by season end

I agree she'll be eating those words.  Quintana is a good pitcher and is occasionally great.  His Winshares over the past several seasons put him among the top five or ten pitchers in the game.  He's going to have his occasionally clunker, but he's a damn good pitcher that eats a ton of innings and keeps his team in games.  He might enjoy pitching for a team that can hit.

Pretty good numbers here.
WAR for Pitchers
2013 AL  5.4 (6th)
2015 AL  4.0 (8th)
2016 AL  5.1 (4th)
Active  21.4 (29th)
avatar
telefrank
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 32
Join date : 2017-05-06
Location : Portage Park

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by telefrank on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:25 pm

YAWN!!!!!!
Got rid of a pitcher I was never a fan of and received yet more "prospects". Good news for a lot of towns with Sox minor league teams. Up here, well I guess we could set up pools on how many earned runs Shields will give up per game. 
avatar
alohafri
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 236
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 50
Location : Between Sarah Michelle Gellar's Legs

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by alohafri on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:27 pm

telefrank wrote:YAWN!!!!!!
Got rid of a pitcher I was never a fan of and received yet more "prospects". Good news for a lot of towns with Sox minor league teams. Up here, well I guess we could set up pools on how many earned runs Shields will give up per game. 

WIN NOW! RELOAD! RETOOL! Are there anymore Adams in the National League?
avatar
sharpy
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 105
Join date : 2017-05-10

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by sharpy on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:47 pm

WIN NOW! RELOAD! RETOOL! Are there anymore Adams in the National League?


Adam Eaton
avatar
Fanboy For Life
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 49
Join date : 2017-05-06

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by Fanboy For Life on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:50 pm

I heard from a very reliable source that SFOD had their meeting timed perfectly...the night of the trade!!


The President was drunk and distraught and made some speech saying the Sox had NO PRIDE!!
Despite the trades of Sale and Eaton and Rick Hahn stating the Sox were going into a full scale rebuild, THE PRESIDENT thought this was A RACE and Win Now-Reload was still on!!


Prez is one of the biggest simpletons in this town.
avatar
cream919
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 69
Join date : 2017-05-05
Location : Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by cream919 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Neat

frank bonifacic
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 75
Join date : 2017-05-05

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by frank bonifacic on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 pm

telefrank wrote:YAWN!!!!!!
Got rid of a pitcher I was never a fan of and received yet more "prospects". Good news for a lot of towns with Sox minor league teams. Up here, well I guess we could set up pools on how many earned runs Shields will give up per game. 
wow! Sound like some guy on the old board (JK Frank)
Disagree with  your assessment. Think you're only guy on board who's not on board with rebuild. All I know is that we have 9 of top 60-80 (depending on whose survey it is.) Would have been happy to keep Q-we'll need pitcher of his ability in 2-3 years. hopefully a couple of guys in AA or AAA will be ready.
Just happy that Kenny seems to be secondary. Tired of all the "athletes" he brought on. As  John Kruk once said" I'm not an athlete-I'm a baseball player"
As I mentioned when they were talking about moving Sale, "if Kenny was in charge, we would have gotten two wide receivers and a tight end from Stanford"
Didn't know you were on same page as Blondie! (lmao)
avatar
SoxIlliniRob
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 236
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Saint Charles, IL

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:52 pm

How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.
avatar
blondy28
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 138
Join date : 2017-05-06

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by blondy28 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:17 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.

About as good as hot garbage Arietta looked yesterday.  Baltimore made our 2017 awful pitching and anemic hitting look like 2016.
avatar
SoxIlliniRob
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 236
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Saint Charles, IL

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:48 pm

blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.

About as good as hot garbage Arietta looked yesterday.  Baltimore made our 2017 awful pitching and anemic hitting look like 2016.

There is absolutely no reason to think Quintana is anything different from the guy he's been for the last several seasons.  His velocity isn't down.  His stuff is good.  His ERA was inflated due to a couple of pretty horrible starts.  Unless you have ins on some kind of physical problem with him, he should be fine.  He is a very consistent performer.  I don't view him as a world-beating ace, but he's a solid #2 or a fantastic #3.


Last edited by SoxIlliniRob on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
blondy28
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 138
Join date : 2017-05-06

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by blondy28 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:54 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.

About as good as hot garbage Arietta looked yesterday.  Baltimore made our 2017 awful pitching and anemic hitting look like 2016.

There is absolutely no reason to think Quintana is anything different from the guy he's been for the last several seasons.  His velocity isn't down.  His stuff is good.  His ERA was inflated due to a couple of pretty horrible starts.  Unless you have ins on some kind of physical problem with him, he should be fine.  He is a very consistent performer.

Whoopie.
avatar
SoxIlliniRob
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 236
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Saint Charles, IL

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:57 pm

blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.

About as good as hot garbage Arietta looked yesterday.  Baltimore made our 2017 awful pitching and anemic hitting look like 2016.

There is absolutely no reason to think Quintana is anything different from the guy he's been for the last several seasons.  His velocity isn't down.  His stuff is good.  His ERA was inflated due to a couple of pretty horrible starts.  Unless you have ins on some kind of physical problem with him, he should be fine.  He is a very consistent performer.

Whoopie.

Understand if that doesn't excite you, but that isn't the definition of hot garbage.  Mark Buehrle made a hell of a career out of being a solid 2 or great 3, and helped his team win a WS in the process.

frank bonifacic
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 75
Join date : 2017-05-05

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by frank bonifacic on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:05 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.

About as good as hot garbage Arietta looked yesterday.  Baltimore made our 2017 awful pitching and anemic hitting look like 2016.

There is absolutely no reason to think Quintana is anything different from the guy he's been for the last several seasons.  His velocity isn't down.  His stuff is good.  His ERA was inflated due to a couple of pretty horrible starts.  Unless you have ins on some kind of physical problem with him, he should be fine.  He is a very consistent performer.

Whoopie.

Understand if that doesn't excite you, but that isn't the definition of hot garbage.  Mark Buehrle made a hell of a career out of being a solid 2 or great 3, and helped his team win a WS in the process.
The ONLY negative on Quintana has been his W-L record! Since 2013, he has 59 no decisiond which is indicative of the hirseshit run support he had had- also worst run support in MLB in his career. By all numbers one of top 5-10 pitchers in AL and probably near yop 10 in MLB.
You are sounding like a typical Cub fan. " we should get Kershaw - hell we can give them Almora & Russell, maybe throw in Zobrist or a minor leaguer."
avatar
blondy28
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 138
Join date : 2017-05-06

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by blondy28 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:02 am

frank bonifacic wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.

About as good as hot garbage Arietta looked yesterday.  Baltimore made our 2017 awful pitching and anemic hitting look like 2016.

There is absolutely no reason to think Quintana is anything different from the guy he's been for the last several seasons.  His velocity isn't down.  His stuff is good.  His ERA was inflated due to a couple of pretty horrible starts.  Unless you have ins on some kind of physical problem with him, he should be fine.  He is a very consistent performer.

Whoopie.

Understand if that doesn't excite you, but that isn't the definition of hot garbage.  Mark Buehrle made a hell of a career out of being a solid 2 or great 3, and helped his team win a WS in the process.
The ONLY negative on Quintana has been his W-L record! Since 2013, he has 59 no decisiond which is indicative of the hirseshit run support he had had- also worst run support in MLB in his career. By all numbers one of top 5-10 pitchers in AL and probably near yop 10 in MLB.
You are sounding like a typical Cub fan. " we should get Kershaw - hell we can give them Almora & Russell, maybe throw in Zobrist or a minor leaguer."

The typical Chicago fan thinks we could trade Tommy LaStella straight up for Kershaw.   By contrast, my Sox fan cousin, who believes this was a good trade for both teams, qualifies it by saying "that being said, the Cubs overpaid".  That makes it a bad deal in my book.

frank bonifacic
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 75
Join date : 2017-05-05

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by frank bonifacic on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 am

blondy28 wrote:
frank bonifacic wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.

About as good as hot garbage Arietta looked yesterday.  Baltimore made our 2017 awful pitching and anemic hitting look like 2016.

There is absolutely no reason to think Quintana is anything different from the guy he's been for the last several seasons.  His velocity isn't down.  His stuff is good.  His ERA was inflated due to a couple of pretty horrible starts.  Unless you have ins on some kind of physical problem with him, he should be fine.  He is a very consistent performer.

Whoopie.

Understand if that doesn't excite you, but that isn't the definition of hot garbage.  Mark Buehrle made a hell of a career out of being a solid 2 or great 3, and helped his team win a WS in the process.
The ONLY negative on Quintana has been his W-L record! Since 2013, he has 59 no decisiond which is indicative of the hirseshit run support he had had- also worst run support in MLB in his career. By all numbers one of top 5-10 pitchers in AL and probably near yop 10 in MLB.
You are sounding like a typical Cub fan. " we should get Kershaw - hell we can give them Almora & Russell, maybe throw in Zobrist or a minor leaguer."

The typical Chicago fan thinks we could trade Tommy LaStella straight up for Kershaw.   By contrast, my Sox fan cousin, who believes this was a good trade for both teams, qualifies it by saying "that being said, the Cubs overpaid".  That makes it a bad deal in my book.
Oh, I wasn't aware your Sox fan cousin thought the Cubs overpaid-that changes everything!
Did you hear the announcers on NBC, have you heard from the managers and coaches around the league? Have you heard people talk (including Theo & Jeb) how their desire was for a young, good controllable pitcher-not necessarily for this year but also in future? They got top pitcher on market. And great clubhouse guy.and teammate. Doesn't bitch about close calls to umps, doesn't berate teammates who blow defensive plays-and as Rob mentioned NEVER on DL.


You mentioned sad sack Orioles. They have some decent hitters (reference game 1 of series) and Camden is one of top home run producing parks in MLB. 
I'll await your admission that you were wrong for later in season (unlike others we have known, I believe you would admit being wrong. 
avatar
SoxIlliniRob
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 236
Join date : 2017-05-05
Age : 51
Location : Saint Charles, IL

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by SoxIlliniRob on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 am

blondy28 wrote:


The typical Chicago fan thinks we could trade Tommy LaStella straight up for Kershaw.   By contrast, my Sox fan cousin, who believes this was a good trade for both teams, qualifies it by saying "that being said, the Cubs overpaid".  That makes it a bad deal in my book.

That's a perfectly fair assessment.  Surely more fair than your original one.  These trades of established players for prospects are very hard to judge.  If Quintana plays a big role in getting the Cubs to two WS in the next three years, and then two of the prospects the Sox rec'd turn into studs and perennial all stars, did the Cubs overpay?  Hard to really discern, since winning titles is a bigger deal to me than all star berths.
avatar
sharpy
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 105
Join date : 2017-05-10

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by sharpy on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

That's a perfectly fair assessment.  Surely more fair than your original one.  These trades of established players for prospects are very hard to judge.  If Quintana plays a big role in getting the Cubs to two WS in the next three years, and then two of the prospects the Sox rec'd turn into studs and perennial all stars, did the Cubs overpay?  Hard to really discern, since winning titles is a bigger deal to me than all star berths.

My issue with Quintana was that he always seemed to pitch just well enough to lose - easy to win 8-0, the other team gives in and moves on to another day ..lets see how many 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 games he wins for the Cubs b/c he didn't win many of these with the Sox.  Yes, a lot of "no decisions" could very well represent poor offensive support. It could also represent a pitchers inability to hold a team down, or keep the lead when he was given it.  It would be interesting to know how many of those indecisions were games the Sox lead that he let get away, vs the other team leading and the Sox catching up? Or how many he left with the team losing and then got off the hook by the Sox coming back, vs him leaving with a lead and the Sox blowing it for him?  The assumption is, he was a stud and the Sox sucked around him and therefore his W-L record wasn't very good.  Odd, but didn't Sale have the same team behind him during most of this time period and it didn't seem to bother his stats OR his won-lost record.  Maybe, just maybe, Q had as much to do with his no-decision record as the team did? ....If he goes 8-0 for the Cubs, wins a bunch of close nail-biting games down the stretch, etc, then I will take everything back and admit he was a god and the team let him down..
avatar
blondy28
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 138
Join date : 2017-05-06

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by blondy28 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:33 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
frank bonifacic wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.

About as good as hot garbage Arietta looked yesterday.  Baltimore made our 2017 awful pitching and anemic hitting look like 2016.

There is absolutely no reason to think Quintana is anything different from the guy he's been for the last several seasons.  His velocity isn't down.  His stuff is good.  His ERA was inflated due to a couple of pretty horrible starts.  Unless you have ins on some kind of physical problem with him, he should be fine.  He is a very consistent performer.

Whoopie.

Understand if that doesn't excite you, but that isn't the definition of hot garbage.  Mark Buehrle made a hell of a career out of being a solid 2 or great 3, and helped his team win a WS in the process.
The ONLY negative on Quintana has been his W-L record! Since 2013, he has 59 no decisiond which is indicative of the hirseshit run support he had had- also worst run support in MLB in his career. By all numbers one of top 5-10 pitchers in AL and probably near yop 10 in MLB.
You are sounding like a typical Cub fan. " we should get Kershaw - hell we can give them Almora & Russell, maybe throw in Zobrist or a minor leaguer."

The typical Chicago fan thinks we could trade Tommy LaStella straight up for Kershaw.   By contrast, my Sox fan cousin, who believes this was a good trade for both teams, qualifies it by saying "that being said, the Cubs overpaid".  That makes it a bad deal in my book.
Oh, I wasn't aware your Sox fan cousin thought the Cubs overpaid-that changes everything!
Did you hear the announcers on NBC, have you heard from the managers and coaches around the league? Have you heard people talk (including Theo & Jeb) how their desire was for a young, good controllable pitcher-not necessarily for this year but also in future? They got top pitcher on market. And great clubhouse guy.and teammate. Doesn't bitch about close calls to umps, doesn't berate teammates who blow defensive plays-and as Rob mentioned NEVER on DL.


You mentioned sad sack Orioles. They have some decent hitters (reference game 1 of series) and Camden is one of top home run producing parks in MLB. 
I'll await your admission that you were wrong for later in season (unlike others we have known, I believe you would admit being wrong. 

Seems like folks in the sports biz lauded the Bears' acquisition of Cutler back in the day as well.  

Trust me, nothing would please me more than to come back here and eat crow after Quintana pitches in the World Series winning game.

frank bonifacic
Not a Fanboy

Posts : 75
Join date : 2017-05-05

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:36 am

blondy28 wrote:
frank bonifacic wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
frank bonifacic wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:
blondy28 wrote:
SoxIlliniRob wrote:How did Mr. Hot Garbage look today?  He should do just fine in the NL, especially with getting to face the occasional pitcher.  If he just pitches to his ordinary form baseball card stats, then the Cubs will be very happy to have him.

About as good as hot garbage Arietta looked yesterday.  Baltimore made our 2017 awful pitching and anemic hitting look like 2016.

There is absolutely no reason to think Quintana is anything different from the guy he's been for the last several seasons.  His velocity isn't down.  His stuff is good.  His ERA was inflated due to a couple of pretty horrible starts.  Unless you have ins on some kind of physical problem with him, he should be fine.  He is a very consistent performer.

Whoopie.

Understand if that doesn't excite you, but that isn't the definition of hot garbage.  Mark Buehrle made a hell of a career out of being a solid 2 or great 3, and helped his team win a WS in the process.
The ONLY negative on Quintana has been his W-L record! Since 2013, he has 59 no decisiond which is indicative of the hirseshit run support he had had- also worst run support in MLB in his career. By all numbers one of top 5-10 pitchers in AL and probably near yop 10 in MLB.
You are sounding like a typical Cub fan. " we should get Kershaw - hell we can give them Almora & Russell, maybe throw in Zobrist or a minor leaguer."

The typical Chicago fan thinks we could trade Tommy LaStella straight up for Kershaw.   By contrast, my Sox fan cousin, who believes this was a good trade for both teams, qualifies it by saying "that being said, the Cubs overpaid".  That makes it a bad deal in my book.
Oh, I wasn't aware your Sox fan cousin thought the Cubs overpaid-that changes everything!
Did you hear the announcers on NBC, have you heard from the managers and coaches around the league? Have you heard people talk (including Theo & Jeb) how their desire was for a young, good controllable pitcher-not necessarily for this year but also in future? They got top pitcher on market. And great clubhouse guy.and teammate. Doesn't bitch about close calls to umps, doesn't berate teammates who blow defensive plays-and as Rob mentioned NEVER on DL.


You mentioned sad sack Orioles. They have some decent hitters (reference game 1 of series) and Camden is one of top home run producing parks in MLB. 
I'll await your admission that you were wrong for later in season (unlike others we have known, I believe you would admit being wrong. 

Seems like folks in the sports biz lauded the Bears' acquisition of Cutler back in the day as well.  

Trust me, nothing would please me more than to come back here and eat crow after Quintana pitches in the World Series winning game.
Just checked the record (can google jose quintana run support and read article on lack thereof)
Since 2005, 173 pitchers have pitched at least 700 innings. Jose Quintana is 164th in run support. His run support has been 2.26 which means he would receive 2 runs or less in 57% of his starts.
This means that in 3 out of every 5 games he pitched , he was forced to throw a 2 run game for a CHANCE  for a NO-DECISION!

Sponsored content

Re: Quintana moved to the Cubs

Post by Sponsored content

  • Post new topic
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:54 am