Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

Debates

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Debates Empty Debates

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:35 am

Nothing really noteworthy last night, but if Warren thinks she really has a chance, she might wanna stop talking about bringing private health insurance to an end. Universal care is fine. Single payer...fine. Plenty will get behind that, but many liberals and 100% of conservatives will vote against ending private insurance. It's just a blatantly stupid stance if winning is the goal.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Debates Empty Re: Debates

Post by jaywit Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 am

I agree Rob.  The election will be lost on that point alone.  I want a public option available to any/every individual.  I don't want to lose my own insurance.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 am

jaywit wrote:I agree Rob.  The election will be lost on that point alone.  I want a public option available to any/every individual.  I don't want to lose my own insurance.

Exactly.  I like my insurance.  It's great.  I'd happily give it up to have a national health insurance plan, but I suspect there are tens of millions who think differently and wouldn't change it, and who would vote against anyone trying to abolish it.  Warren is dead meat if she doesn't change her stance on this right away.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:44 pm

Also, I'm not sure using the Spanish language is a good thing.  Appeared to be pandering more than anything else.  Maybe it will waken more hispanic voters to vote but personally I found it a little irritating.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:I agree Rob.  The election will be lost on that point alone.  I want a public option available to any/every individual.  I don't want to lose my own insurance.

Exactly.  I like my insurance.  It's great.  I'd happily give it up to have a national health insurance plan, but I suspect there are tens of millions who think differently and wouldn't change it, and who would vote against anyone trying to abolish it.  Warren is dead meat if she doesn't change her stance on this right away.

I think you're totally right, however, I'm also not sure how that shakes out realistically.  When there was talk of a public option when Obama was working on healthcare, there were complaints about how that would result in an unfair advantage and an unlevel playing field, which I can't say I disagree with.  So let's say there's a public option.  How many people do you think opt for that over their current plans?  I would think more than 50% easily.  60%?  70%?  Gotta think that sends the cost of private insurance through the roof.  Or perhaps not.  Perhaps they eliminate a substantial part of their workforce to adjust to the reduction in customers, which allows them to keep prices competitive.  How does this impact the negotiated discount at the in-network doctors?  I always assumed that those rates were reflective of the number of potential patients a doctor may have as a result of being in a particular network.  And these are just off the top of my head.  I can't imagine how a public option/private option really works in this day and age.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:47 pm

I think it works quite easily. You offer Medicare coverage to everyone. If you want it, you buy it and if you don't, you just stay with your own private health insurance. If you buy medicare, and want supplemental insurance, you can go ahead and buy that too. Everyone would be on what the old folks are on now... or elect not to be.  And btw, insurance rates and insurance "deals"/discounts, are all based on the Medicare reimbursement rate. They sell their coverage to physicians and hospitals by comparing their rate to Medicare - "we pay 5% more than Medicare for procedure X", or "we are equivalent to Medicare"..  Rates have historically all been based on Medicare reimbursement rates.  
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:13 pm

the MSNBC folks appear to think Harris stood out tonight.  I almost get the feeling they think she's going to overtake Biden in the primary horse race.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:11 pm

Harris did well....had Joe on his heels. Personally...I think Bernie bombed and might be toast. He was the only one who raised his hand when they took a show of hands vote on medicare for all. Spouted mostly his time-worn cliches but offered little substance. Sounded more like your cranky uncle. Kamala has emerged. Mayor Pete did ok but he's got a mess of his own to clean up in South Bend....the South Bend black community is pissed at him...a town hall meeting he had last week did NOT go well for him. The nation is watching.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:32 pm

cream919 wrote:Harris did well....had Joe on his heels. Personally...I think Bernie bombed and might be toast. He was the only one who raised his hand when they took a show of hands vote on medicare for all. Spouted mostly his time-worn cliches but offered little substance. Sounded more like your cranky uncle. Kamala has emerged. Mayor Pete did ok but he's got a mess of his own to clean up in South Bend....the South Bend black community is pissed at him...a town hall meeting he had last week did NOT go well for him. The nation is watching.
    I fell asleep watching a recording of last night's debate, probably at about the 55-60 minute mark.  Seemed like Harris made the most offensive points, Bernie never talks but always yells,  Biden has always been bland to me and still is, Buttigieg seems to make the most poignant statements.  I was surprised at Gillebrand's aggressiveness and ability to keep talking while others were also trying to get in their points.  I found her very irritating but also found her quite interesting when allowed to speak alone and above the din.  I was surprised Yang was virtually non-existent for those first 55 minutes.  There seems to be a lot of grass roots movement in his favor with over 200000 new Twitter followers in the last month.  He's interesting to listen to in other venues but he seemed to lay a big egg for the first hour.  The rest?  Meh or weirdo, thanks for playing.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:56 pm

I like Pete, I really do, but I don't think his time has come yet. Like all of these so-called White Sox phenoms who won't be called up from Triple A until they're 29 and on the downward spiral, I honestly think Pete WOULD benefit from some more time and "seasoning". As was pointed out last night on MSNBC, he's got the lowest percentage of black and minority support of any of the democratic candidates. Not a good thing if you expect to be beat the mentally ill asshole in the oval office. If you're going to take down Trump it is absolutely essential you light up minority voters like Obama did, especially in his first term. Kamala Harris seems like she might have the capacity to do just that. If she does, the orange baby might very well start feeling the heat....especially in rust belt states he pulled last time. 

As for Pete, he's in a weird situation being from Indiana. He's the mayor of a small city that sits in a tiny island of blue totally surrounded by an ocean of red. Outside of South Bend there's no way in hell I believe he could be elected to any other major office in this state...especially governor or US Congress. I live in a state that's the Alabama of the Midwest and no fucking way are red-necked Hoosiers going to vote for "one of them thar faggots!"
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:32 pm

cream919 wrote:I like Pete, I really do, but I don't think his time has come yet. Like all of these so-called White Sox phenoms who won't be called up from Triple A until they're 29 and on the downward spiral, I honestly think Pete WOULD benefit from some more time and "seasoning". As was pointed out last night on MSNBC, he's got the lowest percentage of black and minority support of any of the democratic candidates. Not a good thing if you expect to be beat the mentally ill asshole in the oval office. If you're going to take down Trump it is absolutely essential you light up minority voters like Obama did, especially in his first term. Kamala Harris seems like she might have the capacity to do just that. If she does, the orange baby might very well start feeling the heat....especially in rust belt states he pulled last time. 

As for Pete, he's in a weird situation being from Indiana. He's the mayor of a small city that sits in a tiny island of blue totally surrounded by an ocean of red. Outside of South Bend there's no way in hell I believe he could be elected to any other major office in this state...especially governor or US Congress. I live in a state that's the Alabama of the Midwest and no fucking way are red-necked Hoosiers going to vote for "one of them thar faggots!"

And you gotta figure that all the buffet-style Christians who Pete is calling out don't really like him.  They either think "who does he think he is....God is OURS", or the insulted that Pete actually asks them to act like Christians.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:40 pm

sharpy wrote:I think it works quite easily. You offer Medicare coverage to everyone. If you want it, you buy it and if you don't, you just stay with your own private health insurance. If you buy medicare, and want supplemental insurance, you can go ahead and buy that too. Everyone would be on what the old folks are on now... or elect not to be.  And btw, insurance rates and insurance "deals"/discounts, are all based on the Medicare reimbursement rate. They sell their coverage to physicians and hospitals by comparing their rate to Medicare - "we pay 5% more than Medicare for procedure X", or "we are equivalent to Medicare"..  Rates have historically all been based on Medicare reimbursement rates.  

I understand how it would shake out relative to what you wrote above.  What I'm really questioning is how private health insurance companies survive in such an environment.  They would for sure lose many, many customers.  So they would have to cut jobs, I would assume, and maybe increase premiums to make up for the lost customers.  I know they have private insurance in Canada and France (and I'm sure other countries), because one of the guests on Bill Maher has lived in both those countries and he said that he had public and private insurance and it works nicely.  I just wonder how that differs from us, who would be instituting it in reverse of how the other countries instituted theirs.  And I'm less concerned about any of these things...my concern is that the Republicans would use these things to kill a public option, just as they did under Obama.  How realistic is it to have a state program?  Isn't that what they did in Massachusetts under Romney?  I would love my healthcare to NOT have to depend on Mitch McConnell.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:54 pm

What I'm really questioning is how private health insurance companies survive in such an environment

https://www.medicareinsurance.com/how-do-i-know-who-my-medicare-carrier-is

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Contracting/Medicare-Administrative-Contractors/What-is-a-MAC.html#WhatIsAMac

If you read these two articles it explains how medicare works. the money and bills don't actually come from the government, the government pays a company to be the administrator of Medicare. There are different ones for different states. Guess who these agencies are?  they are "subsidies" of insurance companies.  I think the insurance co. will be just fine in a Medicare for all system - if not thrive even more than they are now.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:50 pm

sharpy wrote:What I'm really questioning is how private health insurance companies survive in such an environment

https://www.medicareinsurance.com/how-do-i-know-who-my-medicare-carrier-is

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Contracting/Medicare-Administrative-Contractors/What-is-a-MAC.html#WhatIsAMac

If you read these two articles it explains how medicare works. the money and bills don't actually come from the government, the government pays a company to be the administrator of Medicare. There are different ones for different states. Guess who these agencies are?  they are "subsidies" of insurance companies.  I think the insurance co. will be just fine in a Medicare for all system - if not thrive even more than they are now.

Very interesting.  I had no idea.  I hope they do a better job than the student loan lenders that the government assigns your loans to.  I had no idea how sketchy that was until I watched an episode of Patriot Act.  And apparently the watch dog whose job it is to ensure that these lenders are behaving themselves can't get any information to do their jobs because Betsy DeVos won't provide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0CyBv18A5k&t=44s

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content