Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

5 posters

We built this horrible song

jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

We built this horrible song Empty We built this horrible song

Post by jaywit Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm

While driving in the car the other day, over the radio comes "We Built This City" by Jefferson Starship and by reflex I go to change the station as soon as it's recognized.  My wife, however, stops me and says "I like that song."  So, being the dutiful hubby, I withdraw and put up with it.  For 5+ days now, that trash song is stuck in my head.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

We built this horrible song Empty Re: We built this horrible song

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Jay, something might be wrong with your wife.  Sorry to be the guy to tell you this, but if you like that song, there's possibly something terribly wrong.  Have you taken her to be looked at?  I've always considered that song to be pretty much the worst thing to hit the earth since Hitler.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:05 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Jay, something might be wrong with your wife.  Sorry to be the guy to tell you this, but if you like that song, there's possibly something terribly wrong.  Have you taken her to be looked at?  I've always considered that song to be pretty much the worst thing to hit the earth since Hitler.
    She's from Korea so I have cut her some slack.  She'd heard of the Beatles and Michael Jackson and Madonna and the Rolling Stones but wouldn't know the names of any members of bands.  She's trying to Americanize in that area.  But 5+ days of that song coming back to me in my resting moments requires some action.  Like the TV remote, the car radio should only be handled and decided upon by men.  It's an alpha male thing.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:30 pm

jaywit wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Jay, something might be wrong with your wife.  Sorry to be the guy to tell you this, but if you like that song, there's possibly something terribly wrong.  Have you taken her to be looked at?  I've always considered that song to be pretty much the worst thing to hit the earth since Hitler.
    She's from Korea so I have cut her some slack.  She'd heard of the Beatles and Michael Jackson and Madonna and the Rolling Stones but wouldn't know the names of any members of bands.  She's trying to Americanize in that area.  But 5+ days of that song coming back to me in my resting moments requires some action.  Like the TV remote, the car radio should only be handled and decided upon by men.  It's an alpha male thing.

That's probably a smart approach.  Until I got to be an old person, who has no earthly clue what kind of music is in the top 40, I've pretty much been a top 40 gal, and I would say that women in general are more likely to like really bad songs.  mmmmBop by Hanson?  Love it.  Anything by Boy George?  Love it.   We have a radio station here that's called something like meTV for the radio, and I've heard Partridge Family songs on that station, which I also love!  I don't really listen to any music that's popular now.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

That's probably a smart approach.  Until I got to be an old person, who has no earthly clue what kind of music is in the top 40, I've pretty much been a top 40 gal, and I would say that women in general are more likely to like really bad songs.  mmmmBop by Hanson?  Love it.  Anything by Boy George?  Love it.   We have a radio station here that's called something like meTV for the radio, and I've heard Partridge Family songs on that station, which I also love!  I don't really listen to any music that's popular now.
    And I'm loathe to admit that I was listening to a station that would stoop to put that song on the playlist.  Trying to please the females in the car, wife and daughter.  No more!  Having that song go through your head is a form of mental illness from which I hope time will cure.  I'll show Diane your post.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:40 pm

jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

And I'm loathe to admit that I was listening to a station that would stoop to put that song on the playlist.  Trying to please the females in the car, wife and daughter.  No more!  Having that song go through your head is a form of mental illness from which I hope time will cure.  I'll show Diane your post.

Throw in "Wake me up before you go go" by Wham and "Hungry like the wolf" (Duran Duran?).  We chicks love those songs, too.  And my husband is an XRT guy.  I know you don't live here, so that probably doesn't mean much, but XRT often has music from people/bands I've never heard of, or the B side of some very popular bands.  We end up listening to talk radio rather than listen to music if we're in the car, because I'm not going listen to the Avett Brothers, although I have taken a liking to many of the CD's he's bought/played over the years.  John Hiatt, Steve Earle, John Prine.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:31 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Throw in "Wake me up before you go go" by Wham and "Hungry like the wolf" (Duran Duran?).  We chicks love those songs, too.  And my husband is an XRT guy.  I know you don't live here, so that probably doesn't mean much, but XRT often has music from people/bands I've never heard of, or the B side of some very popular bands.  We end up listening to talk radio rather than listen to music if we're in the car, because I'm not going listen to the Avett Brothers, although I have taken a liking to many of the CD's he's bought/played over the years.  John Hiatt, Steve Earle, John Prine.
    I grew up in Northlake/Melrose Park/Franklin Park area.  I remember WXRT and I'd listen to that along with WMET and the Loop.   The closest I have out here is a little station in Sandpoint Idaho, population 5000+.  Tiny station but they get some good bands to come to play in Sandpoint including the Avett Brothers, Lake Street Dive, Record Company, Night Sweats.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 pm

blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

I have a soft spot for Wham and Culture Club (Boy George) because George Michael was such a nice guy and Culture Club just has that kitschy 80's feel and is kind of danceable, not to mention that I love how they so expertly used "Tumble 4 ya" in Billy Madison. 

On a separate musical note, my son's high school team sent out a memo to all of the boys on the team to submit their walk up music so that they can have their song playing when they come up to the plate.  They were given a deadline and told that if they didn't submit a song on time, a song would be assigned to them that they "might not like."  Turns out a couple of dopes didn't submit a song and were assigned "Baby Shark"  and now I can't get that freaking song out of my head.  And if you don't know it, give it a whirl on YouTube and you won't be able to get it out of your head.  Gotta say, it's pretty damned hilarious when a kid comes up and instead of some kind of Kanye or Zep's "Immigrant Song" as your walk up tune, you get Baby Shark.  Sure gets some funny looks from the crowd when that's booming on the soundsystem.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:05 pm

jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

I grew up in Northlake/Melrose Park/Franklin Park area.  I remember WXRT and I'd listen to that along with WMET and the Loop.   The closest I have out here is a little station in Sandpoint Idaho, population 5000+.  Tiny station but they get some good bands to come to play in Sandpoint including the Avett Brothers, Lake Street Dive, Record Company, Night Sweats.

Did you have the Loop and WMET tee shirts?  That's right, you mentioned having seen Lake St Dive.  We've gone to see them many times here.  Always a good, fun show.  They have a very nice sound and an incredible singer.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 am

blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Actually, Mmmmbop is kind of a guilty pleasure these days, I'm ashamed to admit. But We Built This City? PUKE!
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:43 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Did you have the Loop and WMET tee shirts?  That's right, you mentioned having seen Lake St Dive.  We've gone to see them many times here.  Always a good, fun show.  They have a very nice sound and an incredible singer.
    I had the WMET bumper sticker and a bunch of Queen T-shirts.  Had to put up with the comments "yeah, you are a queen!"  I remember having a Yes T-shirt because I liked the look but didn't care all too much for the band.  I remember discussing Lake Street Dive with you and I love the singer's voice but I actually haven't seen them live yet.  I previously had an opportunity but something else came up.  They're coming to Sandpoint this summer and I hope to see them then.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:47 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

I have a soft spot for Wham and Culture Club (Boy George) because George Michael was such a nice guy and Culture Club just has that kitschy 80's feel and is kind of danceable, not to mention that I love how they so expertly used "Tumble 4 ya" in Billy Madison. 

On a separate musical note, my son's high school team sent out a memo to all of the boys on the team to submit their walk up music so that they can have their song playing when they come up to the plate.  They were given a deadline and told that if they didn't submit a song on time, a song would be assigned to them that they "might not like."  Turns out a couple of dopes didn't submit a song and were assigned "Baby Shark"  and now I can't get that freaking song out of my head.  And if you don't know it, give it a whirl on YouTube and you won't be able to get it out of your head.  Gotta say, it's pretty damned hilarious when a kid comes up and instead of some kind of Kanye or Zep's "Immigrant Song" as your walk up tune, you get Baby Shark.  Sure gets some funny looks from the crowd when that's booming on the soundsystem.
    So, before I look this up, is Baby Shark forever playing in your head better than We Built This Shitty?  Cuz, if it's worse and gets stuck I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta come for you.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:12 am

jaywit wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

So, before I look this up, is Baby Shark forever playing in your head better than We Built This Shitty?  Cuz, if it's worse and gets stuck I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta come for you.

Everything is better than "Built this City."  Baby Shark is some kind of kids song that's been converted a bit into what sounds like house dance music with a pulsating beat.  Completely silly and ridiculous.  You'll find it amusing and dumb, especially when you think of it being the walk up music for a high school baseball player every time he bats.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:17 am

jaywit wrote:

I had the WMET bumper sticker and a bunch of Queen T-shirts.  Had to put up with the comments "yeah, you are a queen!"  I remember having a Yes T-shirt because I liked the look but didn't care all too much for the band.  I remember discussing Lake Street Dive with you and I love the singer's voice but I actually haven't seen them live yet.  I previously had an opportunity but something else came up.  They're coming to Sandpoint this summer and I hope to see them then.

People liked the Yes shirts for the cool artwork and animation on them.  I always loved them as a band, despite how weird their tunes were.  You could buy a double album of theirs and it would have only 5 songs on it.  WTF?  Speaking of, their original singer (Jon Anderson) just came to St. Charles and performed live a few nights ago and wifey and I saw him.  It was about 50% the playing of his solo stuff (collabortive works, written and recorded over the past 20 yrs with former Yes bandmembers and/or guys like Rick Derringer or Pat Travers), and 50% Yes stuff.  The show was actually outstanding.  Brought an 8 piece band with an international flair and a bit of a Caribbean sound and they restructured much of the old Yes stuff to sound more modern and interesting.  If you'd have asked me ahead of time I'd have said not to fuck with classics, but it was extremely well done, and my wife ended up happy I'd talked her into seeing something that didn't sound good to her (prog rock!).  Anderson's voice hasn't changed a lick.  Dude's gotta be pushing his mid or late 70's by now.  Still sounds like he could go out and do the original recording of Roundabout right now and sound the same.
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:32 pm

jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    blondy28 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

WMET.  Wow, what a blast from the past.  What station was that?  The Loop is Christian rock now.  I ordered one of their t-shirts for my son.  My trio are completely different in their musical taste.  Alex is classic rock, Jake likes gangster rap, and Gab is probably more top 40.  Alex is a self taught guitar player, and easily his #1 favorite band is AC/DC.  Last year, when he came home for winter break (so Christmas 2017) he was playing Blackbird on the acoustic.   Now that's growth when you leave for college and you're playing AC/DC on the electric guitar and you come home and you're playing the Beatles on the acoustic.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

Post by sharpy Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:12 pm

Living out of town is NO excuse not to listen to WXRT -  wxrt.radio.com and you stream the station live. I listen to it all the time. And at work, I have quite of few young uns - 20+ year olds, streaming it when I am not there .  Still the best rock radio in the nation ...and in history.  From the days it broadcasted from 10p-6am only til now ---the best

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content