Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

Adam Dunn had the Weirdest Career

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Adam Dunn had the Weirdest Career Empty Adam Dunn had the Weirdest Career

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:51 am

I highly recommend this 10 min YouTube clip.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZfc0b2t3Q&t=28s

Excellent breakdown of the bizarro world of Dunn's career, put together by a couple of baseball geeks.  Very nicely done.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Adam Dunn had the Weirdest Career Empty Re: Adam Dunn had the Weirdest Career

Post by jaywit Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:59 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I highly recommend this 10 min YouTube clip.  

Excellent breakdown of the bizarro world of Dunn's career, put together by a couple of baseball geeks.  Very nicely done.
    It is odd that he had such good numbers against Kershaw and otherwise such poor numbers against lefties.

I wonder what kind of career numbers Ted Williams would have had he not missed his most productive years in the 40's and then some more during the Korean war.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:45 pm

jaywit wrote:

It is odd that he had such good numbers against Kershaw and otherwise such poor numbers against lefties.

I wonder what kind of career numbers Ted Williams would have had he not missed his most productive years in the 40's and then some more during the Korean war.

The Kershaw stuff was just bizarre, almost like they're long lost buddies and Kershaw tipped him off ahead of time that the third pitch will be a meatball down the middle each time you hit tonight.

Yeah, Williams lost out on what, about 100+ homers and 550 hits in the heart of his productive years?
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

The Kershaw stuff was just bizarre, almost like they're long lost buddies and Kershaw tipped him off ahead of time that the third pitch will be a meatball down the middle each time you hit tonight.

Yeah, Williams lost out on what, about 100+ homers and 550 hits in the heart of his productive years?
    That and maybe another .400 year or two.
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:52 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

One thing I'll say about Dunn and his time with the Sox is that he hit some impressive foul balls.  I wouldn't have wanted to sit in the shallow outfield seats on the first base side.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:32 am

SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Sometimes, it's just an anomaly.
    Always remember Bob Uecker stating that the only pitcher he really did well against was SANDY KOUFAX!! Uecker was a left handed batter and his CAREER BA was 200!!!
    His book "Catcher in the Wry" was hilarious-think it came out about 20 years ago, maybe longer.
    Best line was when he was asked about catching Hoyt Williams' knuckle ball. Said it was easy to catch the knuckle ball-"you just wait until it stops rolling and then pick it up!
    jaywit
    Getting to be a Fanboy

Post by jaywit Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:54 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Always remember Bob Uecker stating that the only pitcher he really did well against was SANDY KOUFAX!! Uecker was a left handed batter and his CAREER BA was 200!!!
    His book "Catcher in the Wry" was hilarious-think it came out about 20 years ago, maybe longer.
    Best line was when he was asked about catching Hoyt Williams' knuckle ball. Said it was easy to catch the knuckle ball-"you just wait until it stops rolling and then pick it up!
    Uecker is an entertaining guy.  I like the story about his exchange with Howard Cosell who was responding to an apparently annoyed Eucker "you don't have to get so truculent.  You do now what truculent means."

"Of course" Uecker responded.  If you had a truck and I borrowed it, it would be a truck you lent."

Thanks for the reminder, Frank.  I've been meaning to read his book.
    frank bonifacic
    Not a Fanboy

Post by frank bonifacic Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:23 am

jaywit wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Uecker is an entertaining guy.  I like the story about his exchange with Howard Cosell who was responding to an apparently annoyed Eucker "you don't have to get so truculent.  You do now what truculent means."

"Of course" Uecker responded.  If you had a truck and I borrowed it, it would be a truck you lent."

Thanks for the reminder, Frank.  I've been meaning to read his book.
    Another one that I remember is from Bob Gibson. Two men on and Gibson throws ball 2. Uecker starts out to the mound-and Gibson screams'Get your ass back behind the plate. The only thing you know about good pitching is that YOU CAM'T HIT IT!!"
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:45 am

I finally got around to watching this. Does anyone think it was a coincidence that it was in 2011 that Dunn signed with the White Sox? I mean, their eye for talent is second to none!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm