Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

National Popular Vote

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

National Popular Vote Empty National Popular Vote

Post by SoxIlliniRob Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Colorado looking at jumping on board with the National Popular Vote initiative. 

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/local-politics/colorado-state-lawmakers-float-bill-that-might-get-rid-of-the-electoral-college/73-e62a22a4-be57-459a-bf2d-835c535d76d2?fbclid=IwAR3Xfos6IN1Ml3_zjx9dM0dE9VxWX1yrmq_FlBuO7HNSVSQvzMf-mm7vBC8

If they pass it, that'll make 13 states and 181 electoral votes committed.  If enough states pass it such that 270 electoral votes commit to this, our electoral college will only be window dressing and the presidential candidate with the most votes would actually win the presidential election.  I would imagine this will be a high hill to climb to get to 270, although here is my thought....since most of the states involved are fairly blue, I think that if they get close (say 230), they ought to just say "close enough, we're doing this now" and then they begin awarding their electoral votes to whomever won the national popular vote.  It'd mean that to win the election, the winner of the popular vote would need only to win a couple more states to take the presidency.  Perhaps if they began doing this, other states would get fed up and just go along with it, rather than see it be mixed.  I love it.  I hope it happens some day.  There is no reason for votes in NY or California to be worth less than votes in Utah.  I have nothing against Utah and North Dakota folks, but they don't deserve more electoral power than we do in Illinois.  The electoral college exists because it was meant to convince slave owning states to ratify the constitution and allow them additional political power by giving them some population value for their slaves.  I see no reason to keep such a system in place.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

National Popular Vote Empty Re: National Popular Vote

Post by SoxIlliniRob Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:54 am

Colorado passed it into law. Another step closer to popular vote taking over for electoral follege. I believe there is another state in the process of making this switch. Currently 68% of the way there. Can't wait to see all votes count equally in this country. I hope to live long enough to see it.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:16 pm

New Mexico just joined the Popular Vote Intrastate Compact.  All the states in the compact will switch over to awarding their electoral votes to the national popular vote winner once enough states join the compact to ensure that 270 electoral votes will go to the popular vote winner.  The number of states currently involved in this stands now at 189 electoral votes, with just 81 to go.  I think it's still a long road ahead to get those 81 more electoral votes, but weirder things have happened.  Sure as hell has a better chance than a constitutional amendment. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/04/politics/new-mexico-popular-vote/index.html

I'm constantly annoyed that we're a government that's run by a minority.  Executive branch was the minority vote getter...again.  There were recent House majorities that had a minority of the popular vote but won by gerrymandering.  Currently, the 53 or so GOP senators represent approximately 35-40% of the population of this country, whilst the other 47 senators represent over 60% of the population.  And not only that, we have a Senate where the minority can block anything and everything just to be dicks.  I'm pretty tired of it.  I want a country where every vote has equal power.  California votes ought to equal Colorado ought to equal Utah ought to equal Florida votes.  There's no reason a vote in Wyoming ought to be three to four times more powerful than a vote in California or Texas.  That's a system that was created to placate slaveholders and get them to ratify the constitution.  I can't be proud of that kind of system, and am losing a lot of my American pride.  I am beginning to think that if the Dems ever win an across the board majority, they'll just dump the filibuster and get to work trying to do things that the public will support.  If the GOP takes back the senate and does the same thing, we'll always just be another opposing party majority from undoing the damage.  It just seems to me like the majority ought to actually have some political power in this country, and it really doesn't at the moment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm