Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

Input...although I think I know the answer

blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Input...although I think I know the answer Empty Input...although I think I know the answer

Post by blondy28 Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Last year I was "this close" to not getting health insurance.  My husband's company switched plans to a really sucky plan whose negotiated rates are much higher than they were previously.  Beyond that, his company used to reimburse us for 70% of the $5,000 deductible.  We've had a high deductible plan for well over a decade, but with the reimbursement, it was fine.  We also used to have an FSA for other costs, but when they switched plan to Aetna last year, the eliminated FSA and we have an HSA.  Last year I told my husband that I didn't want to be covered.  I thought that whatever we saved for my premium, we could put in the HSA and that maybe, in 2019, I'd be able to have healthcare.  Well, it's a year later, we used half of our HSA to repair our cars, and our premiums are going up, while we remain with the same awful Aetna plan...a plan so bad that I use GoodRX coupons for prescriptions (so those costs don't even go toward our high deductible).  I skipped my annual cancer check-up and bone infusion, but I figured I could do that in January 2019, so it would really only be a 6 month delay.  With 20/20 hindsight, I really wish that I had not been insured in 2018, because now we find ourselves in the exact same place, which means I will have insurance that I can't use.  Ssssooo....I think I'm going to roll the dice and not get insurance coverage in 2019.  Then maybe...just maybe...I can get healthcare in 2020.  My quality of life is SO BAD now because I haven't had care this year that it's not even worth it.  I take my ambien most nights between 5 and 7pm just so I can sleep through my medical issues and not have to think about them.  I kind of look at this decision as one not unlike someone who has decide whether or not they eat or fix the car, that they need to drive to work.  The answer is, you fix the car.  I think my only option is to forego health insurance in 2019.  Thoughts?

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 pm