Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox


    The dirty word...

    Share
    avatar
    alohafri
    Fanboy

    Posts : 886
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Age : 51
    Location : Between Sarah Michelle Gellar's Legs

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by alohafri on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 am

    cream919 wrote:I'm all for the anthem being played at patriotic celebrations and the like. But before a sporting event? Why? All this Trumped-Up bullshit about kneeling and such and yet not a word about all of the patriots in the same stadium buying and serving up nachos and beer during its playing or guys standing at the urinal with their dicks in their hands during God Bless America. All it amounts to is hypocritical bullshit so you can point your finger at people you have an ax to grind with. A question: Does anybody here stand in their home and sing along with the television with hand over their heart when the anthem is played? Or at work if you hear it played over the radio? If not, then why not and what's the difference?

    I notice those guys in the stands when I'm at games too. Guys with their hats on, talking, etc. I do know that at Sox games, when the anthem comes on, the lights at the concession stands go dim and they stop mid-transaction. So they are doing their part. But that doesn't stop the dopes from carrying on conversations. 


    Steff once posted a picture of her daughter at a bar (perhaps BWW) standing during the anthem. to me, that's not appropriate. That's putting on a show. I'll give you the ball park, I'll give you stadium clubs and bars at the ball park, but I'm with you everywhere else. My dad was pretty far to the right, but I don't think he stood at home when the anthem was being played on television. 
    avatar
    blondy28
    Fanboy

    Posts : 834
    Join date : 2017-05-06

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by blondy28 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:45 am

    alohafri wrote:
    cream919 wrote:I'm all for the anthem being played at patriotic celebrations and the like. But before a sporting event? Why? All this Trumped-Up bullshit about kneeling and such and yet not a word about all of the patriots in the same stadium buying and serving up nachos and beer during its playing or guys standing at the urinal with their dicks in their hands during God Bless America. All it amounts to is hypocritical bullshit so you can point your finger at people you have an ax to grind with. A question: Does anybody here stand in their home and sing along with the television with hand over their heart when the anthem is played? Or at work if you hear it played over the radio? If not, then why not and what's the difference?

    I notice those guys in the stands when I'm at games too. Guys with their hats on, talking, etc. I do know that at Sox games, when the anthem comes on, the lights at the concession stands go dim and they stop mid-transaction. So they are doing their part. But that doesn't stop the dopes from carrying on conversations. 


    Steff once posted a picture of her daughter at a bar (perhaps BWW) standing during the anthem. to me, that's not appropriate. That's putting on a show. I'll give you the ball park, I'll give you stadium clubs and bars at the ball park, but I'm with you everywhere else. My dad was pretty far to the right, but I don't think he stood at home when the anthem was being played on television. 

    Danny Bonaduce often talked about how he would stand for the anthem in his living room if he was watching something and they were playing the anthem.

    As a 14-year employee at Bulls/Hawks games, I can tell you that concessions folks are required to stop for the anthem.  Not saying they wouldn't do it anyway,but we had to stop if we were in sight of customers.  Concession workers out of sight don't stop.
    avatar
    telefrank
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 55
    Join date : 2017-05-06
    Location : Portage Park

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by telefrank on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 pm

    From the website mental floss.http://mentalfloss.com/article/22150/why-do-we-sing-national-anthem-sporting-events








    "After America's entrance into World War I, Major League Baseball games often featured patriotic rituals, such as players marching in formation during pregame military drills and bands playing patriotic songs. During the seventh-inning stretch of Game One of the 1918 World Series, the band erupted into "The Star-Spangled Banner." The Cubs and Red Sox players faced the centerfield flag pole and stood at attention. The crowd, already on their feet, began to sing along and applauded at the end of the song.
    Given the positive reaction, the band played the song during the next two games, and when the Series moved to Boston, the Red Sox owner brought in a band and had the song played before the start of each remaining contest. After the war (and after the song was made the national anthem in 1931), the song continued to be played at baseball games, but only on special occasions like opening day, national holidays, and World Series games.
    During World War II, baseball games again became venues for large-scale displays of patriotism, and technological advances in public address systems allowed songs to be played without a band. "The Star-Spangled Banner" was played before games throughout the course of the war, and by the time the war was over, the pregame singing of the national anthem had become cemented as a baseball ritual, after which it spread to other sports."




    The anthem doesn't bother me too much. It's the God Bless America that does me in. Last game I went to I sat thru it. When asked why I didn't stand I told them it wasn't the anthem. Standing is optional, lately so is my patriotism.
    avatar
    cream919
    Getting to be a Fanboy

    Posts : 351
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Location : Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by cream919 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 pm

    Thanks for the explanation and history Frank. Even though I still don't agree with it I guess it's all about tradition. I too have had issues with patriotism as of late. I've sure been a hell of a lot more proud of my country in the past than I have in the current political climate. I'm absolutely disgusted with the way things have been going.
    avatar
    blondy28
    Fanboy

    Posts : 834
    Join date : 2017-05-06

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by blondy28 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 pm

    cream919 wrote:Thanks for the explanation and history Frank. Even though I still don't agree with it I guess it's all about tradition. I too have had issues with patriotism as of late. I've sure been a hell of a lot more proud of my country in the past than I have in the current political climate. I'm absolutely disgusted with the way things have been going.

    I started to type this in response to Jay's post about the word "patriot", and while he's right...that the Republicans have made that word their own, honestly, when I hear the word these days, I, too, consider it a conservative word, but I don't find it a positive word.  I guess I think about the word "patriot" the way conservatives think about the word "liberal".  It's so phony and contrived and used in such a manipulative way.  It's kind of like when politicians wear those goofy flag lapel pins, and that's supposed to mean that they love America more. Obama was totally right when he made the argument about flag lapel pin when he was running for president, but he should have been smart enough to know that when these low information voters hear that the black guy wouldn't wear a flag pin, that it would be used against him....and more evidence that he wasn't actually a real American.  It's rare that I hear the word "patriot" and I don't think it sounds contrived.  When they used it in John McCain's eulogies, that was appropriate and genuine. So really...they can keep the word and the Lee Greenwood song and all the other phony bullshit.  Cranky, "get off my lawn" Republicans have one foot in the grave, and young socialists are more becoming more involved earlier.  There's a culture shift.

    jaywit
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 75
    Join date : 2018-09-22

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by jaywit on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:11 am

    blondy28 wrote:
    cream919 wrote:Thanks for the explanation and history Frank. Even though I still don't agree with it I guess it's all about tradition. I too have had issues with patriotism as of late. I've sure been a hell of a lot more proud of my country in the past than I have in the current political climate. I'm absolutely disgusted with the way things have been going.

    I started to type this in response to Jay's post about the word "patriot", and while he's right...that the Republicans have made that word their own, honestly, when I hear the word these days, I, too, consider it a conservative word, but I don't find it a positive word.  I guess I think about the word "patriot" the way conservatives think about the word "liberal".  It's so phony and contrived and used in such a manipulative way.  It's kind of like when politicians wear those goofy flag lapel pins, and that's supposed to mean that they love America more. Obama was totally right when he made the argument about flag lapel pin when he was running for president, but he should have been smart enough to know that when these low information voters hear that the black guy wouldn't wear a flag pin, that it would be used against him....and more evidence that he wasn't actually a real American.  It's rare that I hear the word "patriot" and I don't think it sounds contrived.  When they used it in John McCain's eulogies, that was appropriate and genuine. So really...they can keep the word and the Lee Greenwood song and all the other phony bullshit.  Cranky, "get off my lawn" Republicans have one foot in the grave, and young socialists are more becoming more involved earlier.  There's a culture shift.
    I also get that bad taste in my mouth when I think or hear the word "patriot".  It's put there by the people on the far right who stole it.  But the left has let the right redefine the word.  In the same sense that the right has made "liberal" a dirty word, it's making the left think of "patriot" as a dirty word, too.  Burning the flag and demeaning patriotism won't buy votes from the ever diminishing independents.  The left needs to ramp up their own patriotism while simultaneously hammering Trump for his pro-Russian stances.



    Besides, referring to Nancy Pelosi as a great American patriot could give a few Hannity-ites a stroke.
    avatar
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy

    Posts : 1041
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Age : 52
    Location : Saint Charles, IL

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:22 am

    It's actually amazing how they've stolen "Patriot" and turned "Liberal" into a bad word, while "Conservative" isn't a bad word.  I admire their never-give-up sticktoitiveness attitude when it comes to this shit.  They are Gods when it comes to messaging and getting folks to buy into it.  I remember when I'd use the word Progressive on the old board, instead of liberal (since I think the word "Progressive" is a better descriptor), it would drive Kark fucking crazy.  He actually tried arguing that conservatives are the true progressives, since there could be no progress through liberalism.
    avatar
    blondy28
    Fanboy

    Posts : 834
    Join date : 2017-05-06

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by blondy28 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:07 pm

    SoxIlliniRob wrote:It's actually amazing how they've stolen "Patriot" and turned "Liberal" into a bad word, while "Conservative" isn't a bad word.  I admire their never-give-up sticktoitiveness attitude when it comes to this shit.  They are Gods when it comes to messaging and getting folks to buy into it.  I remember when I'd use the word Progressive on the old board, instead of liberal (since I think the word "Progressive" is a better descriptor), it would drive Kark fucking crazy.  He actually tried arguing that conservatives are the true progressives, since there could be no progress through liberalism.

    They lie and the low information part of the base is too stupid or lazy to actually look into such claims, and the other part of the base are laughing all the way to the bank.  Trump said right to his followers that he loves uneducated people, and the idiots cheered him like a bunch of fools!  These idiots, like the farmers who are getting screwed by his policies, or the businesses that are letting people go or have gone under, have been interviewed and said they don't blame Trump or GOP policies and they'd vote for him again.  These morons are told that 4.8% unemployment under Obama was really 40% unemployment, and that when Trump got elected, he "turned the economy around", and that the 4.2% unemployment was a legitimate 4.2%, and they believe it!  Polls showed that over 90% of Republicans thought Obama raised taxes, when he cut them.  It's the very definition of a cult.
    avatar
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy

    Posts : 1041
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Age : 52
    Location : Saint Charles, IL

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by SoxIlliniRob on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:30 pm

    blondy28 wrote:
    SoxIlliniRob wrote:It's actually amazing how they've stolen "Patriot" and turned "Liberal" into a bad word, while "Conservative" isn't a bad word.  I admire their never-give-up sticktoitiveness attitude when it comes to this shit.  They are Gods when it comes to messaging and getting folks to buy into it.  I remember when I'd use the word Progressive on the old board, instead of liberal (since I think the word "Progressive" is a better descriptor), it would drive Kark fucking crazy.  He actually tried arguing that conservatives are the true progressives, since there could be no progress through liberalism.

    They lie and the low information part of the base is too stupid or lazy to actually look into such claims, and the other part of the base are laughing all the way to the bank.  Trump said right to his followers that he loves uneducated people, and the idiots cheered him like a bunch of fools!  These idiots, like the farmers who are getting screwed by his policies, or the businesses that are letting people go or have gone under, have been interviewed and said they don't blame Trump or GOP policies and they'd vote for him again.  These morons are told that 4.8% unemployment under Obama was really 40% unemployment, and that when Trump got elected, he "turned the economy around", and that the 4.2% unemployment was a legitimate 4.2%, and they believe it!  Polls showed that over 90% of Republicans thought Obama raised taxes, when he cut them.  It's the very definition of a cult.

    When you listen only to one TV station, and that station tells you all of the other outlets are fake and lying, and you believe this particular station, then it's a cult, or just blind allegiance or blissful ignorance.  Pick your poison.  I guess it's all of those things.  I used to be both amazed and horrified that there was such a segment of society.  Anymore, all you can do is just shrug and vow to always vote.  I used to care way the fuck more about sports than any of this shit.  Now it's the other way around, but as memory serves, I was much happier as a sports fan than a politics fan.  If this midterm and 2020 don't go as planned, I might just have to throw in the towel on this disaster of a culture and an electorate and just make sure I provide for my family and let the rest resolve itself.  I mean, they're talking on the news about how the Hispanic electorate turnout is expected to be very low.  WTF?  If this shit can't bring out Hispanic voters, then I guess I shouldn't really give a shit about what the president is saying about them or doing to make their lives miserable.  Let them figure it out for themselves.
    avatar
    sharpy
    Getting to be a Fanboy

    Posts : 463
    Join date : 2017-05-10

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by sharpy on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 pm

    These idiots, like the farmers who are getting screwed by his policies, or the businesses that are letting people go or have gone under, have been interviewed and said they don't blame Trump or GOP policies and they'd vote for him again. 


    Farmers each got over $31,000 b/c of their losses due to tariffs...they are thrilled - you know, the group that despises government handouts, welfare, and spending is happy as one of their pigs in shit now ...fucking hypocrits
    avatar
    cream919
    Getting to be a Fanboy

    Posts : 351
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Location : Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by cream919 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:10 pm

     If this midterm and 2020 don't go as planned, I might just have to throw in the towel on this disaster of a culture and an electorate and just make sure I provide for my family and let the rest resolve itself.  


    ********************************************************************************


    This just in Rob...according to a major poll...Trump popularity at an all-time high!!!  cheers You know that "blue wave" everybody is talking about? LOL Just thought you might delight in this little bit of cheer. 


    When you've worked in the criminal justice system as long as I have you are cynical as a matter of course. Cynicism comes as easy as taking a breath. The world is full of stupid. People will conduct themselves in a way that they know is wrong and will do it anyway. Same with your current Trump supporter...they know deep in their heart that the man is a pig and wanna-be dictator...an uncouth nut bag with a buck in his pocket...but what does it matter...they'll support him anyway. We're essentially followers just waiting for someone "wonderful" to come along and tell us what to do and how to think and act. It's been repeated over and over again all down through history and it's happening again. Forget this nonsense about society learning its lessons from its past. Total bullshit. We're imperfect creatures of habit. 
    avatar
    alohafri
    Fanboy

    Posts : 886
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Age : 51
    Location : Between Sarah Michelle Gellar's Legs

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by alohafri on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:18 am

    cream919 wrote: If this midterm and 2020 don't go as planned, I might just have to throw in the towel on this disaster of a culture and an electorate and just make sure I provide for my family and let the rest resolve itself.  


    ********************************************************************************


    This just in Rob...according to a major poll...Trump popularity at an all-time high!!!  cheers You know that "blue wave" everybody is talking about? LOL Just thought you might delight in this little bit of cheer. 


    When you've worked in the criminal justice system as long as I have you are cynical as a matter of course. Cynicism comes as easy as taking a breath. The world is full of stupid. People will conduct themselves in a way that they know is wrong and will do it anyway. Same with your current Trump supporter...they know deep in their heart that the man is a pig and wanna-be dictator...an uncouth nut bag with a buck in his pocket...but what does it matter...they'll support him anyway. We're essentially followers just waiting for someone "wonderful" to come along and tell us what to do and how to think and act. It's been repeated over and over again all down through history and it's happening again. Forget this nonsense about society learning its lessons from its past. Total bullshit. We're imperfect creatures of habit. 

    The cynic in me says, "I don't think they believe that at all." I think they look at him as a Christ-like figure who will save America from the libs and the RINOS who are no better than libs. They are already calling him the greatest President of all.
    avatar
    joepoe
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 17
    Join date : 2017-05-05

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by joepoe on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:34 am

    SoxIlliniRob wrote:Maybe I don't follow state politics enough, but is there some reason that I'm supposed to be terribly afraid of Madigan?  Granted, the state is in a bit of a financial bind, but is that Madigan's fault or the fault of all of the folks that have held power in this state over the past 30 yrs?  

    Pursuant to Kevin's comments, it appears that the green light for unlimited money in US politics has opened up a lot of really ugly doors.  I remember when Obama warned us this would be the result during one of his SOTU speeches and doofus Alito mouthed "not true."  I guess we know who was right and who was talking out of his rear end.

    "A BIT OF A FINANCIAL BIND." Worst state financially in the union, that's all.

    ROTFLMAO!!!
    avatar
    joepoe
    Not a Fanboy

    Posts : 17
    Join date : 2017-05-05

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by joepoe on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:42 am

    https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings/illinois

    This is just the latest poll. The state always ranks at the bottom. Maybe people should pay more attention about where they live.
    avatar
    blondy28
    Fanboy

    Posts : 834
    Join date : 2017-05-06

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by blondy28 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:44 am

    joepoe wrote:https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings/illinois

    This is just the latest poll. The state always ranks at the bottom. Maybe people should pay more attention about where they live.

    I say the same thing about South Carolina and other red states, which rank at the bottom of everything that I care about.
    avatar
    SoxIlliniRob
    Fanboy

    Posts : 1041
    Join date : 2017-05-05
    Age : 52
    Location : Saint Charles, IL

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by SoxIlliniRob on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:23 pm

    alohafri wrote:


    The cynic in me says, "I don't think they believe that at all." I think they look at him as a Christ-like figure who will save America from the libs and the RINOS who are no better than libs. They are already calling him the greatest President of all.

    What's not Christ-like about him?

    Sponsored content

    Re: The dirty word...

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:01 pm