Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

3 posters

Partisanship

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Partisanship Empty Partisanship

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:31 am

I'm listening to Senator Graham lament that we've become so partisan and political that we'll probably only confirm a very qualified justice by a 51-49 vote.  He's stunned....STUNNED, I tell ya, that we're so partisan.  No mention of blocking Obama's nomination for nearly a year.  No mention of how the GOP advised (including John McCain) that they were prepared to block any nominee by Hillary for her entire term if the GOP had the numbers in the Senate.  What kind of mirrorless world do these people live in?  

I'm fine with Kavanaugh getting onto SCOTUS.  I was fine with the last guy, too, and the last guy and the last guy and the last guy (and gals...to be fair).  I'm fine with all of them because I generally trust the vetting process.  What I'm not fine with is Kavanaugh getting onto SCOTUS after the bullshit that was perpetrated against Obama regarding Garland.  So now we have this war that can't really end.  I'd lie, cheat and steal to keep this guy off the court if I had the power to do so.  That's modern day politics.  It sucks but it is what it is.  Until that wrong is righted, I support any and all Dem efforts to deny that person his seat just out of my sense of fairness and justice.  Fuck this guy.  Unless the Dems eventually gain enough power to either right the wrongs either through ousting a justice through an impeachment or add additional justices, pushing the court from 9 to 11 justices, then I guess we're in this new world where we just try to block anything and everything.  It sucks, but I didn't ask for it to be like this, and wanting the Dems to be fair to Kavanaugh is just an example of bringing a butter knife to a gun fight.  I blame the politicians for creating this Chicken vs. The Egg situation.  We are the mere spectators.  And I'm sure there are some Repubs that would be able to rightfully argue that this is more because of the Dems than the Repubs.  Whatever.  Don't really give a fuck who is at fault or who caused it.  We all have to just live with this mess.  

Same goes back to my prior days with voting for president.  I've usually voted Dem but never had even a single problem with Reagan, GHB or even GWB until his later years when I didn't like some of his decisions regarding the Iraq War.  Still, I always believed these guys had the best interests of the nation in mind, even when I didn't like one of their policies.  I'm still amazed by what I witnessed by the opposition to Obama, and I think that opposition and the negative fuel for that opposition is very much what created the disgusting mess and Trumpism we are seeing today.  I blame these fucking guys in charge.  I'm just so sick of this shit.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Partisanship Empty Re: Partisanship

Post by alohafri Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:35 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I'm listening to Senator Graham lament that we've become so partisan and political that we'll probably only confirm a very qualified justice by a 51-49 vote.  He's stunned....STUNNED, I tell ya, that we're so partisan.  No mention of blocking Obama's nomination for nearly a year.  No mention of how the GOP advised (including John McCain) that they were prepared to block any nominee by Hillary for her entire term if the GOP had the numbers in the Senate.  What kind of mirrorless world do these people live in?  

I'm fine with Kavanaugh getting onto SCOTUS.  I was fine with the last guy, too, and the last guy and the last guy and the last guy (and gals...to be fair).  I'm fine with all of them because I generally trust the vetting process.  What I'm not fine with is Kavanaugh getting onto SCOTUS after the bullshit that was perpetrated against Obama regarding Garland.  So now we have this war that can't really end.  I'd lie, cheat and steal to keep this guy off the court if I had the power to do so.  That's modern day politics.  It sucks but it is what it is.  Until that wrong is righted, I support any and all Dem efforts to deny that person his seat just out of my sense of fairness and justice.  Fuck this guy.  Unless the Dems eventually gain enough power to either right the wrongs either through ousting a justice through an impeachment or add additional justices, pushing the court from 9 to 11 justices, then I guess we're in this new world where we just try to block anything and everything.  It sucks, but I didn't ask for it to be like this, and wanting the Dems to be fair to Kavanaugh is just an example of bringing a butter knife to a gun fight.  I blame the politicians for creating this Chicken vs. The Egg situation.  We are the mere spectators.  And I'm sure there are some Repubs that would be able to rightfully argue that this is more because of the Dems than the Repubs.  Whatever.  Don't really give a fuck who is at fault or who caused it.  We all have to just live with this mess.  

Same goes back to my prior days with voting for president.  I've usually voted Dem but never had even a single problem with Reagan, GHB or even GWB until his later years when I didn't like some of his decisions regarding the Iraq War.  Still, I always believed these guys had the best interests of the nation in mind, even when I didn't like one of their policies.  I'm still amazed by what I witnessed by the opposition to Obama, and I think that opposition and the negative fuel for that opposition is very much what created the disgusting mess and Trumpism we are seeing today.  I blame these fucking guys in charge.  I'm just so sick of this shit.

Two words...Citizens United.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:36 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:I'm listening to Senator Graham lament that we've become so partisan and political that we'll probably only confirm a very qualified justice by a 51-49 vote.  He's stunned....STUNNED, I tell ya, that we're so partisan.  No mention of blocking Obama's nomination for nearly a year.  No mention of how the GOP advised (including John McCain) that they were prepared to block any nominee by Hillary for her entire term if the GOP had the numbers in the Senate.  What kind of mirrorless world do these people live in?  

Four words...Play To The Base.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Citizen's United, Playing to the Base, and many other things, such as politics being war and some shit like that.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:28 pm

SoxIlliniRob wrote:Citizen's United, Playing to the Base, and many other things, such as politics being war and some shit like that.

That too. 
    blondy28
    blondy28
    Bova!

Post by blondy28 Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:57 pm

And Obama's nominee was a centrist who Republicans actually liked.  The bullshit of Trump's nominees is that they're extremists.  I know you said you'd be fine with any judge, but as Aloha says, "Citzens' United".  That doesn't get through in a left leaning majority.  And this Kavanaugh guy scares the living shit out of me.  The stuff that we know about is scary enough.  The stuff they're hiding should scary anybody who isn't an extremist.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:48 pm

blondy28 wrote:

And Obama's nominee was a centrist who Republicans actually liked.  The bullshit of Trump's nominees is that they're extremists.  I know you said you'd be fine with any judge, but as Aloha says, "Citzens' United".  That doesn't get through in a left leaning majority.  And this Kavanaugh guy scares the living shit out of me.  The stuff that we know about is scary enough.  The stuff they're hiding should scary anybody who isn't an extremist.

Don't get me wrong, Pam.  I agree that he's an extremist.  But I've always generally accepted the judicial nominees of the presidents.  That's why we have a hearing.  And if we don't like how the hearing goes, then we can elect different senators.  It's unfortunate, but I agree with Obama's comments about elections having consequences.  We have a history of justices being a lot different than was assumed about them.  And we have a history of them being much like what was assumed, too.  I didn't find this dude to be very impressive, but these justices are sometimes pretty strange communicators.  The most worrisome thing about this guy is how he allowed that 17 yr old to be detained and kept from getting an abortion, which was her right.  They fucking imprisoned her...held her in captivity, and he ruled for that to be allowed to continue.  Yikes.  Fucking yikes.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:19 am

I don't think he's a Robert Bork extremist though. However, with the recent "document dump" and editorial in the NYT, Kavanaugh may have a few hoops to jump before he gets in.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:36 am

Not sure how extreme this guy is, but my sense is that he would be comfortable with flipping established precedents on their ears. I don't worry about abortion as much as some do, because the ruling is based upon a right to personal medical privacy. Hard to exactly imagine that right going away.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am