Fanboy Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fanboy Central

For the Fanboys of the White Sox

4 posters

That is some nasty action

SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

That is some nasty action Empty That is some nasty action

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 pm

Is anyone watching the unbelievable break on Giolito's curveball tonight?  Holy momma.  I can't say I've ever seen a curve break that sharply.  Now before some of you scream to me that Koufax had a bigger break, stop yourselves.  I believe you.  I'm just saying that in my lifetime, I can't recall seeing a curve with bite like that.  I was born when Sandy's career was winding down.  If Gio learns how to throw that anywhere near a target he's going to be unfuckingbelievable.  The Sox announcer crew is laughing their ass off at it.
    sharpy
    sharpy
    Fanboy

That is some nasty action Empty Re: That is some nasty action

Post by sharpy Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:26 pm

This kid, and Lopez, have been pitching some pretty good ball lately - they seem to be taking to the MLB ball and actually improving their game as they go on - now if Kopech does the same thing, and Rodon continues to be a new age Carlton, the Sox may have something going ….
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:41 pm

sharpy wrote:This kid, and Lopez, have been pitching some pretty good ball lately - they seem to be taking to the MLB ball and actually improving their game as they go on - now if Kopech does the same thing, and Rodon continues to be a new age Carlton, the Sox may have something going ….

Yeah, this is really shaping up nicely as far as I'm concerned.  Giolito has great "stuff" and appears to be figuring out how to use it.  Lopez has great stuff and is still learning how to use it.  Rodon is beginning to look like a polished veteran ace.  Hard to say with Kopech, as he's going to still take some lumps.  Dylan Cease is owning it in the minors, so maybe he comes up next season, too.  Perhaps if you bring up Eloy for next season and sign a quality bat or two, we can compete for a WC.  I wouldn't chase that at the risk of screwing up the rebuild, but if it's there for the taking...
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:59 pm

LOL....I see fanboyitis has struck. This is the time of the year when teams hopelessly out of the mix can relax and go on winning streaks now that there's little to play for...thus giving the faithful false hope for next year. Jerry Manuel ball at its finest. Yes...Giolito looked really good tonight...only to have that putrid bullpen fuck things up as usual. Same thing at Yankee stadium a couple of nights ago. I'm not a total pessimist...there is some good young talent on this team but there's such a long way they still have to go.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:12 am

cream919 wrote:LOL....I see fanboyitis has struck. This is the time of the year when teams hopelessly out of the mix can relax and go on winning streaks now that there's little to play for...thus giving the faithful false hope for next year. Jerry Manuel ball at its finest. Yes...Giolito looked really good tonight...only to have that putrid bullpen fuck things up as usual. Same thing at Yankee stadium a couple of nights ago. I'm not a total pessimist...there is some good young talent on this team but there's such a long way they still have to go.

Giolito was nasty last night. As far as the bullpen goes, I'm of the belief that a good bullpen is like catching lightning in a bottle. The way managers use bullpen pitchers like kleenex these days, a guy who might be a decent bullpen pitcher won't have a chance to work anything out before getting pulled. I enter Monday night's game against the Yankees as evidence, Renteria pulling Minaya to bring in Cedeno to get the last out was borderline criminal. This was one of those rare occasions that Minaya pitched well and he deserved to finish the game.
    SoxIlliniRob
    SoxIlliniRob
    Bova!

Post by SoxIlliniRob Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 am

alohafri wrote:
    cream919 wrote:LOL....I see fanboyitis has struck. This is the time of the year when teams hopelessly out of the mix can relax and go on winning streaks now that there's little to play for...thus giving the faithful false hope for next year. Jerry Manuel ball at its finest. Yes...Giolito looked really good tonight...only to have that putrid bullpen fuck things up as usual. Same thing at Yankee stadium a couple of nights ago. I'm not a total pessimist...there is some good young talent on this team but there's such a long way they still have to go.

Giolito was nasty last night. As far as the bullpen goes, I'm of the belief that a good bullpen is like catching lightning in a bottle. The way managers use bullpen pitchers like kleenex these days, a guy who might be a decent bullpen pitcher won't have a chance to work anything out before getting pulled. I enter Monday night's game against the Yankees as evidence, Renteria pulling Minaya to bring in Cedeno to get the last out was borderline criminal. This was one of those rare occasions that Minaya pitched well and he deserved to finish the game.

I've always said that about bullpens, too.  Unless you have a proven, lockdown guy or two in your pen, then this week's successful pen is next week's pile of shit bullpen.  I wouldn't mind seeing Shields stick around to be a long reliever but I doubt that's financially feasible.  My recent observations of him are that he's solid for 3 to 5 innings before the other team starts figuring out how to hit the snot out of that goofy shit he's tossing up there.  If the Sox are going to accidentally contend next year for a WC berth, it's going to be very much because they got much more out of their bullpen than they expected.  These young guys are going to be deep in pitch counts and the bullpen is going to be important.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:31 am

In the "good old days", every team had at least one "mop-up man", a pitcher who would come in and throw for four or five innings if the starting pitcher got shelled early. Nowadays, managers manage every game like it is a one run game and they have a chance to win at any moment.
    cream919
    cream919
    Fanboy Apprentice

Post by cream919 Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 pm

Maybe let starters pitch beyond 6 innings unless they're getting absolutely shellacked? How about a fucking complete game? "Strategies" are ruining the game.
    alohafri
    alohafri
    Bova!

Post by alohafri Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:33 pm

cream919 wrote:Maybe let starters pitch beyond 6 innings unless they're getting absolutely shellacked? How about a fucking complete game? "Strategies" are ruining the game.
    cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 am